Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 NPC names: mundane versus exotic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  15:35:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so this discussion has been the genesis of an idea that may or may not be possible but could end up being something worthwhile: a human name generator. It would be based on the culture the individual is either from or lives in. This would go way beyond the name fragment non-human name generators published in Dragon in the past. It is basically an analysis of existing names to determine patterns of nouns, vowels, and common consonant/vowel configurations that is in use for names in a particular culture. I did something similar for Vulcan and Andorian names years ago when I was GMing a Star Trek:TRPG campaign. I would be willing to try it, but I would need a culture and a list of quality names from that culture. Is there a specific culture of wide interest that I should start with?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2022 :  18:45:31  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Ok, so this discussion has been the genesis of an idea that may or may not be possible but could end up being something worthwhile: a human name generator. It would be based on the culture the individual is either from or lives in. This would go way beyond the name fragment non-human name generators published in Dragon in the past. It is basically an analysis of existing names to determine patterns of nouns, vowels, and common consonant/vowel configurations that is in use for names in a particular culture. I did something similar for Vulcan and Andorian names years ago when I was GMing a Star Trek:TRPG campaign. I would be willing to try it, but I would need a culture and a list of quality names from that culture. Is there a specific culture of wide interest that I should start with?

Old English is a great one to start with, IMO. Christianity and the Norman conquest did a lot to replace a significant number of Old English names in common usage in the Anglophone world, so they tend to feel old-timey and somewhat fantastical. Even the revived names feel more medieval; which seems to fit better in a medieval tale: Oswald and Alfred, or William and Charles?

That's my two cents at least. :D

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2022 :  23:28:13  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, so this discussion has been the genesis of an idea that may or may not be possible but could end up being something worthwhile: a human name generator.

Would that generator make allowances for the occasional "oddball"-yet-canon Realms name (e.g., Brandon, Randal or Simon)...or does it only represent "true" Realmsian cognomens?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  14:13:01  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

Ok, so this discussion has been the genesis of an idea that may or may not be possible but could end up being something worthwhile: a human name generator.

Would that generator make allowances for the occasional "oddball"-yet-canon Realms name (e.g., Brandon, Randal or Simon)...or does it only represent "true" Realmsian cognomens?

No. Those will not be included in the pattern analysis. I have started looking at Calishite names. There is a pattern that matches Simon: cvcvc. However, it remains to be seen if permissible positioning of the vowels/consonants will allow that name to be generated.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  15:31:55  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm. I would consider their absence to be minorly lamentable; one need not use them, sure, but to erase them from existence entirely...

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2022 :  16:34:00  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not erasing them. They exist. The point of this tool would be the ability to generate an exotic name that fits in with the society they are from. If anything, this may show that mundane names are actually possible within specific cultures and the fact that they are similar to Earth names is coincidental (that is why I am excluding them, to see if they can still be there).

If we look at your name, the pattern is vcvc. That pattern exists in the Calashite list (Eric's name also follows the same pattern but again, permissible positioning will be the determining factor)

Let's look at George's name. That would be cvvccv. I don't see that thus far in the Calashite list, but it does look like the pattern for a name from the Moonsea area. We will just have to see how that shakes out and if it reveals what some people on here suspect: George is actually a Zhentarim agent here at the 'keep.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2022 :  04:33:31  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not erasing them. They exist. The point of this tool would be the ability to generate an exotic name that fits in with the society they are from. If anything, this may show that mundane names are actually possible within specific cultures and the fact that they are similar to Earth names is coincidental (that is why I am excluding them, to see if they can still be there).

If we look at your name, the pattern is vcvc. That pattern exists in the Calashite list (Eric's name also follows the same pattern but again, permissible positioning will be the determining factor)

Let's look at George's name. That would be cvvccv. I don't see that thus far in the Calashite list, but it does look like the pattern for a name from the Moonsea area. We will just have to see how that shakes out and if it reveals what some people on here suspect: George is actually a Zhentarim agent here at the 'keep.

I am interested in seeing how this theoretical name generator meshes or clashes with border territories; unless one land has the equivalent of a magical Great Wall of China (and an equally monumental antipathy towards their neighbor), you can bet there will be significant cultural blending as one nears a line of demarcation.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2022 :  04:36:51  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of "Jessendra" while idly throwing around real-world names and morphing them into unfamiliar forms; one Google search later and I find out that this is an already extant (albeit extremely rare) name. You just can't win!

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2022 :  07:50:23  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North - Guide to the Savage Frontier features this tidbit ->

quote:
Agatha's Grove: The haunt of a ghost, this grove is the chief landmark of the area. The ghost of Neverwinter Wood is a banshee known as Agatha. This name is probably a corruption of the elven surname Auglathla, meaning Winterbreeze in an old elven dialect.

If an Earth name was inserted as a one-off corruption, would you consider that agreeable or is it still impermissible because it disrupts immersion?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2022 :  17:03:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought of "Jessendra" while idly throwing around real-world names and morphing them into unfamiliar forms; one Google search later and I find out that this is an already extant (albeit extremely rare) name. You just can't win!

Not sure if I've mentioned it or not, in this discussion, but there was a name I thought I had made up, when I was a teenager. I about fell out of my seat at work, one day, when I saw that someone at my company had that name. It turned out to be a not overly common Irish name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2022 :  17:06:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Agatha's Grove: The haunt of a ghost, this grove is the chief landmark of the area. The ghost of Neverwinter Wood is a banshee known as Agatha. This name is probably a corruption of the elven surname Auglathla, meaning Winterbreeze in an old elven dialect.

If an Earth name was inserted as a one-off corruption, would you consider that agreeable or is it still impermissible because it disrupts immersion?

I'm fairly certain that the "Auglathla" explanation was an after-the-fact thing to try to make "Agatha" less of an issue.

It still disrupts immersion for me, and it did when I first read those books -- back when there was only two trilogies featuring Lord Ginsu.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2022 :  18:54:30  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm fairly certain that the "Auglathla" explanation was an after-the-fact thing to try to make "Agatha" less of an issue.

It still disrupts immersion for me, and it did when I first read those books -- back when there was only two trilogies featuring Lord Ginsu.

I would take RAS naming conventions with a grain of salt. "Dagnabit" was the last naming straw for me. At least Cadderly was not named "Danny".

Edited by - Delnyn on 28 Nov 2022 18:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2022 :  14:12:17  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly, I'll take your word for it; my memory of that section of the novel is spotty, to put it mildly. However, I do wonder...with this explanation, was "Agatha" meant to be an entirely new name in the Realms (assuming it was a one-off) or were there already (human?) women named Agatha and the townsfolk used that present extant name in place of the proper Elven name?

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2022 :  18:52:50  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

I would take RAS naming conventions with a grain of salt. "Dagnabit" was the last naming straw for me. At least Cadderly was not named "Danny".

We did get Danica, however .

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2022 :  08:30:07  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that mages from other worlds (or at least their spells) have a presence in The Realms has been firmly established, yes?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2022 :  13:45:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The fact that mages from other worlds (or at least their spells) have a presence in The Realms has been firmly established, yes?

We know Bigby is from Oerth (Greyhawk) and that the spell Khelben's Warding Whip was created in response to the various Bigby's Verbing Hand spells.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2022 :  16:51:58  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

We know Bigby is from Oerth (Greyhawk) and that the spell Khelben's Warding Whip was created in response to the various Bigby's Verbing Hand spells.

"The old goat comes up with one good gimmick and beats it to death with a rock."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  15:09:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I never put that two and two together.... they got married, correct? So, she would have become Danica Bonaduce IF she took his last name? Wasn't his nickname for her Dani?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 08 Dec 2022 15:13:35
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2022 :  16:48:02  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I remember references to Tenser and Otiluke popping up in a Salvatore novel. Yeah...I'm seeing a problem for those people who dislike Earth names while sticking to setting canon.

Maximilian's Earthen Grasp

Unless spellcasters keep their spells under lock and key, spell names are going to spread out into the wider Realms. I can easily imagine people naming their children after famous mages; we do it all the time with our kids and noteworthy public figures (historical or otherwise). On the other hand, a superstitious bunch may not want to utter a mage's name out of fear that they will inadvertently summon them or invoke a curse.

Point being, it's not exactly impossible that - on a long enough time scale - "Maximilian" is going to make the rounds.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

quote:

I never put that two and two together.... they got married, correct? So, she would have become Danica Bonaduce IF she took his last name? Wasn't his nickname for her Dani?

Correct and correct.

Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2022 :  20:41:02  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually use name lists, constructions from any libraries of words we have of relevant languages, or just make a name up entirely based on the aesthetic of whatever culture. I don't like using real life names if I can avoid it. Mostly because I have never enjoyed where it usually goes in RP or people using X = Y, even when something is inspired by Y. (Ie, people going "oh Cormyr is like France I will now make everyone French and have French names)
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2022 :  23:19:15  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw Pope

(Ie, people going "oh Cormyr is like France I will now make everyone French and have French names)

Cormyr has cultural/thematic similarities with France?

(Originally, I was going to say "a French connection", but that reference speaks for itself...with a megaphone.)

Go to Top of Page

Outlaw Pope
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2022 :  23:48:31  Show Profile Send Outlaw Pope a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

(Ie, people going "oh Cormyr is like France I will now make everyone French and have French names)

Cormyr has cultural/thematic similarities with France?

(Originally, I was going to say "a French connection", but that reference speaks for itself...with a megaphone.)

I've seen stuff like that here back when I was a mere lurker - it is also something that usually gets used a lot in RP communities in NWN or where. I get why people do it and I don't really hate anyone for doing it- but I just think it's a bit off.

Most places in the Realms I'd just ascribe, atop their own unique writeups, a generic veneer of 50s/60s hollywood medievalism at their worst, without much nationality. There's also places like Rashemen or the Old Empires which have inspiration from slavic folk or the ancient near east, but then have names that are different than any culture in that real life category.

Anyway - less french Chondathans of Cormyr, Spanish style Amnians, and more people with ass-pulled names that at least look like other npcs.

This is why the few examples of "real life = thing" npcs stand out so weirdly. Like Cordell the conqueror or the Amnian guy trying to kill/replace him who has a vaguely italo-spanish name. De Nosta? Or something.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  21:18:43  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and more people with ass-pulled names that at least look like other npcs.

Instituted without much (if any) consideration, this may - unintentionally - result in a homogeneity of names all across The Realms . That same uniformity is "worse" for the various demihuman races. As an example: you're bound to find at least one elf maiden with a name ending in "-iel" no matter which of their scattered haunts you visit.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  22:42:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking on this a bit more... While I do prefer to see recognizable real-world names avoided, I guess that even in a fantasy world, names we think of as real-world names could quite naturally appear by happenstance.

As I may have noted before, there's been more than one time that I thought up a fantasy name and later saw it in a book I'd not previously read, or even discovered that it was actually a real-world name. In one case, there was a gap of more than 20 years (and a lot of jobs!) between me thinking up a name and then discovering someone at work had that same name.

And my son, when he was just learning to talk, was just putting sounds together one day -- and dropped the F-bomb. He wasn't cursing; he was just trying out different sounds and happened to attach the "fuh" to an "uck". (I did the smart thing and verbally steered him in another direction, not even acknowledging the inadvertent profanity, though I did later joke about him being fined one credit for his violation of the Verbal Morality Statute)

So I guess that it's not outside the realm of possibility for parents in a fantasy setting to say "Hey, Jack is a good name!" or something like that... Though it'd still be better if the spelling was tweaked slightly; Jack Ravenswild and Jak Fleet have phonetically identical first names, but one is blatantly real-world and the other is at least tweaked a bit and doesn't break immersion as readily. (Though I'll never get over a guy named Ravenswild being from Raven's Bluff)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Feb 2023 22:43:08
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2023 :  05:35:04  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And my son, when he was just learning to talk, was just putting sounds together one day -- and dropped the F-bomb. He wasn't cursing; he was just trying out different sounds and happened to attach the "fuh" to an "uck". (I did the smart thing and verbally steered him in another direction, not even acknowledging the inadvertent profanity, though I did later joke about him being fined one credit for his violation of the Verbal Morality Statute)

That reminds me of my cousin trying to pronounce "funky monkey" .

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2023 :  06:24:03  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Correct and correct.

Urgh. I should have said nothing. Oh well, life goes on.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2023 :  22:59:44  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
quote:

Correct and correct.

Urgh. I should have said nothing. Oh well, life goes on.

George Martin did the same thing with one of his principal characters; it seems that fantasy authors hailing from Earth can't resist inserting certain nicknames.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2023 :  02:23:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

George Martin did the same thing with one of his principal characters; it seems that fantasy authors hailing from Earth can't resist inserting certain nicknames.

To be fair, some nicknames are obvious. We've seen, in Realms novels, Elminster shortened to "El" for example.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2023 :  16:38:37  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To be fair, some nicknames are obvious. We've seen, in Realms novels, Elminster shortened to "El" for example.

I've seen Alustriel and Alusair called "'Luse", Myrmeen Lahl called "Mreen". and Laral called "Laer" Alusair once referred to Vangerdahast as "Vangey", but I forgot the source. (Of course, that was one of the politest things Alusair would call the then-Mage Royal of Cormyr. )
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2023 :  16:49:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've seen Alustriel and Alusair called "'Luse", Myrmeen Lahl called "Mreen". and Laral called "Laer" Alusair once referred to Vangerdahast as "Vangey", but I forgot the source. (Of course, that was one of the politest things Alusair would call the then-Mage Royal of Cormyr. )

Mreen doesn't seem like an obvious one, to me... But something like Myr or Myri would be.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000