Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 NPC names: mundane versus exotic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2020 :  13:16:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Coincidentally, I was considering including an NPC with the surname of "Muffinfriend"; this person is a Halfling from a family of bakers...hm...specialty chefs. Color me surprised to find out that a sliver of lighthearted material is taboo.

I should say so.... that goodsir is absolutely and unrefutedly absurd.... halflings are NOT MuffinFRIENDS.... halfings are MuffinDESTROYERS. Halflings are not Pastrypals... halflings are Pastryfoes. Halflings are not Browniebakers.... halflings are Browniebiters. Halflings are not named Appleally.... halflings are Appleadversaries. Halflings are not Maplemates... halflings are Maplegluttons.

Someone has to be the hairless feet of the Shire.

While I don't know how the peculiar practice of moonscaping, or the shaving of hair from the feet in order to politely advertise the shaving of one's nethers and pits, is involved with halfling surnames.... I must agree that yes, there must be some hairless feet in the shire. I will also admit to enjoying such tantalizing advertisement. However, I will also admit that I am no prude and that bushrooming, or the allowing of hair to grow "wild" on the feet, nethers, and pits, is just as beautiful and can be particularly arousing if properly scented.... as of course the private myths of Sheela Peryroyal often present her.

That being said, while I may have denounced certain surnames, it is perhaps due to some private issue that I have with such practices. I must admit that many halflings in northern climes have been known to change those surnames to one that sounds more pleasant to the communities that they come from. It saddens me, for instance, that my own cousin, Artuze Appleadversary, chose to change his name to Artuze Appleally when he settled in the "heartlands". I don't think he intended to give my mammaw a near heart attack when she heard of his affontery, but I swear that the next time he returns home he will be given a talking to about respecting one's family and tradition.
Signed Proudly,
Alyvss Appleadversary.... and most certainly NOT Alyvss Appleally!

P.S. Since we have been discussing strange practices revolving around hair, a travelling merchant friend of mine has noted that the practice of moonscaping has become fashionable amongst some young dwarven females from the Rift, though such practice involves not the feat but rather beard hairs.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Dec 2020 13:41:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2020 :  14:08:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Coincidentally, I was considering including an NPC with the surname of "Muffinfriend"; this person is a Halfling from a family of bakers...hm...specialty chefs. Color me surprised to find out that a sliver of lighthearted material is taboo.

For a halfling, the name Muffinfriend is a little odd, but it's a damn sight better than a dwarf named Muffinhead. Dwarven surnames usually involve weapons, metal, or geological references. Muffinhead seems like it would be an insult to a dwarf, not a surname.

That's fair. I suppose my proposed name would be even more acceptable if a Gnome were bearing it, huh?

P.S. At this point, I am almost fully certain which author you are referring to when you mention "one author" who is the progenitor of "bad names". Are we to employ The Scottish Trope here ?

I'll openly say it: Salvatore is the source of some of the most frequently discussed bad names, here, and I believe he has admitted in the past that naming characters isn't something he's good at. I wouldn't say that forgives him, though, since there are so many ways he could find something -- anything! -- better than naming characters Cordio Muffinhead, Dagnabbit, or Bidderdoo.

I was referring to the authors, though, in response to an earlier post that was blaming it on editorial direction from TSR.

I also have to say that Salvatore was not the only source of bad names. There's also Mark Anthony, who gave us Caledan Caldorien, Mari Al'Maren, Talek Talembar, and Artek Ar'talen. Most of those names would be fine, if it was just the first name or just the last name. Instead, the author seems to have a fixation on having names with repeating syllables, and that bugs me just as much as some of RAS's "just slap something down" names.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Dec 2020 15:30:26
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2020 :  15:45:33  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point about Mark Antony. I need to go back and rename everyone I have in the Iriaebor stuff. If everyone is like that, they won't stand out.

Bron O'Brom
Nathlar Nathanian
Syntel Ne'Synel

How's that for starters?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2020 :  21:04:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Yeah, agreed. I think even a little research would bear out the reasonable naming conventions from different regions and make suspending disbelief in that regard not a thing, or a much less difficult thing.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  05:31:08  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

For a halfling, the name Muffinfriend is a little odd, but it's a damn sight better than a dwarf named Muffinhead. Dwarven surnames usually involve weapons, metal, or geological references. Muffinhead seems like it would be an insult to a dwarf, not a surname.

That's fair. I suppose my proposed name would be even more acceptable if a Gnome were bearing it, huh?

P.S. At this point, I am almost fully certain which author you are referring to when you mention "one author" who is the progenitor of "bad names". Are we to employ The Scottish Trope here ?

I'll openly say it: Salvatore is the source of some of the most frequently discussed bad names, here, and I believe he has admitted in the past that naming characters isn't something he's good at. I wouldn't say that forgives him, though, since there are so many ways he could find something -- anything! -- better than naming characters Cordio Muffinhead, Dagnabbit, or Bidderdoo.

I was referring to the authors, though, in response to an earlier post that was blaming it on editorial direction from TSR.

I also have to say that Salvatore was not the only source of bad names. There's also Mark Anthony, who gave us Caledan Caldorien, Mari Al'Maren, Talek Talembar, and Artek Ar'talen. Most of those names would be fine, if it was just the first name or just the last name. Instead, the author seems to have a fixation on having names with repeating syllables, and that bugs me just as much as some of RAS's "just slap something down" names.

Is the simplest answer the correct one? Was Salvatore a darling of the TSR fan base back during the late 80s throughout the 90s and could therefore get away with much more? In any case, I find that his goofiest names are those attached to Gnomes and Dwarves; he's otherwise quite skilled at creating serviceable names (when he isn't electing to stick with plain ones such as "Sydney", that is).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  06:02:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is the simplest answer the correct one? Was Salvatore a darling of the TSR fan base back during the late 80s throughout the 90s and could therefore get away with much more? In any case, I find that his goofiest names are those attached to Gnomes and Dwarves; he's otherwise quite skilled at creating serviceable names (when he isn't electing to stick with plain ones such as "Sydney", that is).

Yeah, I think that's exactly the case. Aside from Cattie-Brie (never liked that name), most of his odd names don't come into play until he had a couple of trilogies under his belt.

I've heard of other cases of authors getting a free pass from their editors, because the author had become popular enough to have some clout with their publishers. Drizzt has been their cash cow for decades, now -- that kinda thing gives his author/creator a certain degree of power, right there.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  06:49:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Damnit... I love the Bouldershoulder brothers, and I think that should be excepted as pure awesomeness, regardless of darling status for Bob back in the days! ;) haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  09:03:15  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of idle curiousity, were places such as "Waterdeep", "Shadowdale", "Westgate", or "Neverwinter" as opposed as "Elturel", "Velprintalar" or "Scornubel" named at different (RW) times by different (RW) creators?
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  09:06:21  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Damnit... I love the Bouldershoulder brothers, and I think that should be excepted as pure awesomeness, regardless of darling status for Bob back in the days! ;) haha

Best regards,

Hmmm, will Cadderly Bonaduce introduce his brother Danny and the pet partidge as a playmate for Percival the white squirrel?

EDIT: In Relentless, Cattie-brie (sounds like a cheese) reveals her actual personal name is Cataline, although she said she never knew her original family name.

Edited by - Delnyn on 05 Dec 2020 09:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  11:10:07  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Out of idle curiousity, were places such as "Waterdeep", "Shadowdale", "Westgate", or "Neverwinter" as opposed as "Elturel", "Velprintalar" or "Scornubel" named at different (RW) times by different (RW) creators?

Since I am Swedish I once took to translating names in the realms that are somewhat "normal". Like so:

Waterdeep: Vattnadjup
Shadowdale: Skuggdala
Westgate: Västerport

Redstone Castle in Cormyr would be "Rödstena Slott". Basically what I do is I take the meaning of the original name and try to make it sound Swedish by imitating the names of Swedish places, which is pretty easy since we usually name our places according to normal traits. It just becomes a matter of understanding the original meaning of your local city names.

On the other hand you have different fingers.

Edited by - Returnip on 05 Dec 2020 11:10:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  16:27:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So far as I know, all the place names in the core areas (Dales, Moonsea, Sword Coast, and points between) come from Ed.

But the place names don't bother me. Look at real-world maps. Here in Florida, there are towns named Christmas, Palm Bay, Palm Coast, Coconut Creek, Two Egg, Longwood (giggity! ) and Frostproof -- but we've also got Orlando (some stories say the name comes from the Shakespearean character), Sopchoppy, Holopaw, Tallahassee, Wewahitchka, and the favorite one for non-locals to try to pronounce, Kissimmee (proper pronunciation: Kuh Sim Ee).

(If you take State Road 50 out of Orlando and head east, you'll pass through a town called Bithlo, which is Redneck Central. Past there, you'll pass through Christmas, which really doesn't have much of anything to make it worthwhile, aside from trying to capitalize on the name, which comes from a fort built there in the 1800s. But because of this whole general layout, my dad refers to Bithlo as the Nightmare Before Christmas. )

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Dec 2020 16:33:38
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  21:14:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

Ewwww.....nice hit there! hahaha

quote:
Hmmm, will Cadderly Bonaduce introduce his brother Danny and the pet partidge as a playmate for Percival the white squirrel?

Good god, let's hope not! Danny has a pretty damn bad attitude, and does know how to fight. That squirrel would be dead inside one minute!

quote:
EDIT: In Relentless, Cattie-brie (sounds like a cheese) reveals her actual personal name is Cataline, although she said she never knew her original family name.

It does sadly sound like a cheese. haha I do like that Cataline came out of that. I don't think that is a bad name.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  03:37:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cataline works for me. Not the best name, but it's a damn sight better than Cattie-Brie.

Is it explained how Cataline became Cattie-Brie? That's not exactly an obvious one, like shortening Jonathan to Jon or something like that.

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  09:26:12  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is it explained how Cataline became Cattie-Brie? That's not exactly an obvious one, like shortening Jonathan to Jon or something like that.

Or shortening Jonathan to Jona-Emmentaler. Catti-Brie isn't really shorter than Cataline.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  09:46:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Returnip,

haha... I may have to steal the Jona name there. That is pretty hilarious. It does beg the question how Catti-Brie came about from Cataline though? I wonder if that has ever been asked of Bob before?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  19:59:35  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is not explained in the novel. It was just stated. The cheese bit was just my snark. If someone asked RAS, I am not aware.

quote:

Cataline works for me. Not the best name, but it's a damn sight better than Cattie-Brie.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  23:58:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is not explained in the novel. It was just stated. The cheese bit was just my snark. If someone asked RAS, I am not aware.

quote:

With it coming thirty books after the character was introduced, I have to wonder if this is something the author recently decided.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2020 :  23:41:42  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I think that's exactly the case. Aside from Cattie-Brie (never liked that name), most of his odd names don't come into play until he had a couple of trilogies under his belt.

I've heard of other cases of authors getting a free pass from their editors, because the author had become popular enough to have some clout with their publishers. Drizzt has been their cash cow for decades, now -- that kinda thing gives his author/creator a certain degree of power, right there.

Now we know the true reason Drizzt was so reviled: he was an indirect enabler of bad names .

quote:

quote:

quote:

With it coming thirty books after the character was introduced, I have to wonder if this is something the author recently decided.

Yes...the true answer will probably remain forever elusive. Anyhow, between an honest "mistake" (choice) and a delayed explanation (retcon?), I'll take the former any day of the week.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2020 :  00:20:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was a case where she suddenly found her original family and learned her name that way, then I wouldn't think twice about it. If it's "Oh, BTW, my name is really this other thing, but don't pay any attention to the fact that I've gone a century without mentioning it" -- then that's a whole 'nother story.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2020 :  00:49:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I am not saying this is the solution, but it is pretty interesting...

https://www.fbiic.gov/public/2008/nov/Naming_practice_guide_UK_2006.pdf

If you go to page 22, for Romanian, they even reference Cataline. Now, I am again not saying this is exact, but it almost seems like maybe, somewhere in this document on naming conventions, may be the root of how Catti-brie came about? If nothing else, it was an interesting perusal.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2021 :  05:39:04  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the gnomes. There aren't too many names because there aren't that many officially created gnomes to begin with.

* Aberdeen
* Ahmad
* Alice
* Ariana
* Basem
* Basil
* Bentley
* Dana
* Delisle
* Hafiz
* Hogarth
* Hyacinth
* Jack
* Jan
* Jansen
* Kalah
* Krieger
* Kylia
* Liam
* Lilac
* Magar
* Min
* Nomi
* Oswald
* Pepin
* Pollo
* Pritchard
* Quayle
* Reya al-Affif
* Sark
* Waleed
* Wallace

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2021 :  12:57:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here are the gnomes. There aren't too many names because there aren't that many officially created gnomes to begin with.

* Aberdeen
* Ahmad
* Alice
* Ariana
* Basem
* Basil
* Bentley
* Dana
* Delisle
* Hafiz
* Hogarth
* Hyacinth
* Jack
* Jan
* Jansen
* Kalah
* Krieger
* Kylia
* Liam
* Lilac
* Magar
* Min
* Nomi
* Oswald
* Pepin
* Pollo
* Pritchard
* Quayle
* Reya al-Affif
* Sark
* Waleed
* Wallace

+ Bistro Batenrooj (who its rumored once visited Louisiana and became enamoured with its cuisine)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2021 :  23:31:56  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

+ Bistro Batenrooj (who its rumored once visited Louisiana and became enamoured with its cuisine)

There's a strong case to be made for "Bistro", yeah. However, in my opinion, "Batenrooj" is a fantasy-exotic alteration along the lines of "Alyce" ("Alice"); if the latter is acceptable, the former should be acceptable as well.

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  01:05:50  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be curious to see how much these lists would be trimmed down if you exclude Raven's Bluff and RPGA material. It was pretty shocking for me reading through that stuff just how many completely normal names there were.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  01:33:16  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only like mundane names in mundane settings -- a village like Hommlet, for example, which is clearly based on medieval England. Otherwise, I prefer more fantastic names. Mundane names have a habit of sticking out like a sore thumb to me in heroic fantasy. The worst example I can think of is Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, which includes a character named Lord Kevin. I mean really, Lord Kevin? "Kevin" is a name that brings to mind people you know at work and at school, not heroic, Arthurian kings.

And then there's Frank Herbert's Paul... A name so strikingly mundane that it almost ruins Dune for me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  02:42:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

I'd be curious to see how much these lists would be trimmed down if you exclude Raven's Bluff and RPGA material. It was pretty shocking for me reading through that stuff just how many completely normal names there were.

Jeff

Wait, you mean exclude wonderful Realmsian names such as Charles Oliver O'Kane?

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  02:56:41  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jeff

Friendly reminder that Brandon (a name I think we can all agree is exceedingly plain) has been part of the setting since the "grey box" days. We can try to pare away offending material until all that remains is a "true" Forgotten Realms, but...as the saying goes, "One man's mundane is another man's exotic.".

quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

I only like mundane names in mundane settings -- a village like Hommlet, for example, which is clearly based on medieval England. Otherwise, I prefer more fantastic names. Mundane names have a habit of sticking out like a sore thumb to me in heroic fantasy. The worst example I can think of is Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, which includes a character named Lord Kevin. I mean really, Lord Kevin? "Kevin" is a name that brings to mind people you know at work and at school, not heroic, Arthurian kings.

And then there's Frank Herbert's Paul... A name so strikingly mundane that it almost ruins Dune for me.

How about Luke, Leia and Han?

Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  04:01:49  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

How about Luke, Leia and Han?

I think I was young enough when I encountered Star Wars that its names never had a chance to bother me, so it's hard to judge. If I'd seen it when I was 30, then yeah, "Luke" probably would have bothered me for the same reason that "Paul" does today. Leia and Han, on the other hand, are far enough removed from my experience/neck of the woods to pass for fantasy.

That said, I'm perfectly fine with coming up with my own names for an adventure. It's one of the few things I consistently change when running a published adventure. For some reason, I'm almost always dissatisfied with whatever the author has come up with.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  04:09:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the first time I ever encountered the name Luke, it was Luke Skywalker. I've never seen the name Leia outside of Star Wars, and I never saw Han as a non-Star Wars name until I was well into my twenties -- and even then, it's still rare.

Honestly, for Star Wars, I'm more bugged by names like Sheev and Wilhuf (who I thought had the worst first name in Star Wars until the name Sheev was introduced!).

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2021 :  04:16:04  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Friendly reminder that Brandon (a name I think we can all agree is exceedingly plain) has been part of the setting since the "grey box" days. We can try to pare away offending material until all that remains is a "true" Forgotten Realms, but...as the saying goes, "One man's mundane is another man's exotic.".

I didn't intend to infer that ALL of them were in those products, but there's a big difference between the list of NPCs in the old grey box, and the City of Ravens Bluff accessory. I'm not really even directly criticizing that later product, since I believe most of those characters were created by RPGA members who played in the Living City campaign; it's just something that really takes me out of the material, much more so than an occasional name will do so in other products.

quote:

Wait, you mean exclude wonderful Realmsian names such as Charles Oliver O'Kane?

I have reported your slanderous statements about Monsieur O'Kane to the Ravens Bluff authorities, SIR!

;)

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000