Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Simple CANON question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TaeghenAmalith
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  13:27:10  Show Profile Send TaeghenAmalith a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does the Adventure League material considered CANON material?

Without exception?

Thanks

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  16:09:04  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the modules are not. The Moonshaes supplement and Border Kingdoms supplement are, however. Sometimes AL material gets incorporated into other published works making it canon.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  23:57:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this question would best be asked at the D&D Adventurers League site itself. The have an active online community.

This campaign seems to involve one or more people who do (or did) work for WotC, and it claims to be "the official campaign".

But I doubt any characters or any events found in this campaign are actual CANON. At least not until they're published by WotC. In a CANON product with official D&D branding. (I'm not a member of the League so I don't know if any such CANON products have yet been published by WotC, or if any will be in the future.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Jul 2020 00:00:13
Go to Top of Page

Compaste
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  07:29:28  Show Profile Send Compaste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt any characters or any events found in this campaign are actual CANON.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2020 :  07:39:56  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the organized play is canon. I know 4e's explicitly wasn't, and was counteracted even during that edition.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2021 :  16:41:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I don't think the organized play is canon. I know 4e's explicitly wasn't, and was counteracted even during that edition.

Like a year late, but... 4e's organized play was canon the first two years. All year 1 and some year 2 adventures were supplemented in the Dragon and Dungeon mags, and had lore articles related to them, and WotC had someone hired to read them all and ensure there were no continuity issues with their own products. However, at some point of the year 2 run (2010), WotC gave the project to other people and then all adventures onwards became noncanon (as nobody was hired to police continuity). The support in the mags also stopped. To this day, it isn't clear exactly whose year 2 adventures are canon and whose aren't.

Just wanted to clarify that.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Jun 2021 16:56:03
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  03:11:05  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't it get a little odd with the AL or D&DN events in Phlann? I thought the dragon attack was more well founded than things like Graz'zt and his half-demon fire-giantess conquest of some obscure negative energy tower in Cormanthyr..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2021 :  14:50:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

Like a year late, but... 4e's organized play was canon the first two years. All year 1 and some year 2 adventures were supplemented in the Dragon and Dungeon mags, and had lore articles related to them, and WotC had someone hired to read them all and ensure there were no continuity issues with their own products. However, at some point of the year 2 run (2010), WotC gave the project to other people and then all adventures onwards became noncanon (as nobody was hired to police continuity). The support in the mags also stopped. To this day, it isn't clear exactly whose year 2 adventures are canon and whose aren't.

Just curious, what year was all the Mulmaster changes?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6640 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2021 :  01:04:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's very useful information Zeromaru. I don't suppose there's any information as to what 4E organised play adventures were released in those first 2 years? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2021 :  15:57:17  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just curious, what year was all the Mulmaster changes?

IIRC, Mulmaster was during the starting AL season (Tyranny of Dragons). It's not part of the LFR content, and since I've never played AL stuff, I don't know about its canonicity.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
That's very useful information Zeromaru. I don't suppose there's any information as to what 4E organised play adventures were released in those first 2 years? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

-- George Krashos

Let me check my stuff and I will compile a list in no time.

Edit:
No need of doing a list. Here you can download all year 1 and year 2 LFR adventures

https://www.livingforgottenrealms.com/adventures.html

As far as I know, WotC only paid up to the Year2 Q3 adventures (for instance, WATE2-03) and the Raven's Bluff Mini campaign. Which means all Year2 Q4 adventures are of dubious canonicity.

If you have problems downloading some adventure (I guess some got lost in WotC's 404 archive page) just tell me.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 17 Jun 2021 16:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2021 :  22:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't doubt that this was the intent at the time, but as someone who worked on lore support for the novels, was actively writing material in Dragon and Dungeon at the time a lot of the League adventures came out, and who wrote a large chunk of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, I can state that the AL material for 4E was not treated as canon for the events leading up to or following the Sundering.

Individual items were picked up and carried through, for certain, but as a blanket statement, it's not entirely accurate to call the Adventurer's League material canon, regardless of year. A good deal of the material is only canon if the changes it envisaged are reflected in subsequent lore. (For example, none of the things presented in the CORM adventures made it into canon.)
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2021 :  01:19:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, they decanonized them? How sad. Some stuff of the LFR was really good. Thanks for clarifying.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2021 :  20:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, they decanonized them? How sad. Some stuff of the LFR was really good. Thanks for clarifying.
I don't disagree that some of it was good. But I don't think "decanonized" is the right way to describe it, either. I wrote all the way through 4E, and from the perspective of the magazines—which was the primary source for canon setting material—they were never treated as canon in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6640 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2021 :  14:13:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a relief. Their Impiltur stuff was ... basic. And the names ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2021 :  01:53:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

I don't disagree that some of it was good. But I don't think "decanonized" is the right way to describe it, either. I wrote all the way through 4E, and from the perspective of the magazines—which was the primary source for canon setting material—they were never treated as canon in the first place.

I remember some articles that did reference stuff from LFR, although just stuff (like places or names) not the plotlines. Save from the Ambers of Dawn mini-campaign (the one set in Returned Abeir). At least the first adventure was referenced in one article.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What a relief. Their Impiltur stuff was ... basic. And the names ...

-- George Krashos

You can always update your High History of Impiltur with quality content

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000