Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Cover of the Two Swords is Out
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  05:44:29  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Just as the title says. Link below. Anyone tell me what Drizzt's fighting? Doesn't look like orcs.

Monch

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/177590000

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:26:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A seriously rabid fan who thinks Drizzt needs to be in a movie?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:34:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:41:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how he appears in mid-leap with his knee cocked back. Neo would be proud. Maybe that means Agent Smith clones are who Drizzt is fighting on this cover.

Go Drizzt! Keanu's acting skills have gone downhill since the classic Bill and Ted movies!
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  08:22:41  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Funny guys

But back to the topic. I'll give my speculations :

Could these be Tanaruks? Which means going underdark passing by legion of doom while searching for Bruenor's lost Dwarven stronghold?

Mon
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  21:48:34  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno what he's fighting, but I love the art... it's been really good since Sea of Swords...
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  00:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was funny!

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  00:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Dunno what he's fighting, but I love the art... it's been really good since Sea of Swords...

The art's great, but it's a bit dark to tell exactly what's going on....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  06:50:02  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't get a really good look at it either.Though it does look good to me anyways.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  10:16:34  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:

That was funny!

DAMN IT!! I have to come out of the closet! <drumrolls...>

I admit it! I would love for a Drizzt movie to be made! I would weep like a little boy in the theater! Such a movie would contribute, albeit in a limited fashion, to my own self-actualization and my happiness genes would skip a beat and be passed down stronger to my next generation!

Ok... <ducks under computer desk> Fire at will!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  19:20:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I've said my piece on making Realms movies, more than once, over on the WotC forums. That's a debate I'll not get into again -- it got tiring the first two times.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  14:42:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC has some pre-order information regarding this title.
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  16:31:34  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe those creatures are the same as the ones that appeared on the cover of The Lone Drow, therefore I would hazard the guess that they are orcs. Orcs seem to be depicted more like hulking gorillas than their ealrier more "porcine" cousins.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Bergan
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  13:48:58  Show Profile  Visit Bergan's Homepage Send Bergan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still waiting to see a good depiction of Drizzt on a novel cover. On this most recent batch he seems to affect "evil armour," something Salvatore has never (to my knowledge) ascribed to him. I think the best picture is on Streams of Silver, although his skin is brown there, not black.

Anything is an improvement on the gold skullcap, old man look though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  17:02:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bergan

Anything is an improvement on the gold skullcap, old man look though.

I heartily agree with that! I hated that look!

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  03:28:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... the famous Geriatric Incident... I still shudder... especially when you think that they placed that 8-year old looking Cattie-Brie beside him, only to describe scenes of Drizzt's desires for her in the book... this would be a recipe for jail/investigations in this day and age.

I seriously hope they redesign this cover if/when they reprint it (I think it's been done, but I am unsure...)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  04:33:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Yes... the famous Geriatric Incident... I still shudder... especially when you think that they placed that 8-year old looking Cattie-Brie beside him, only to describe scenes of Drizzt's desires for her in the book... this would be a recipe for jail/investigations in this day and age.

I hadn't heard that one before.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  05:09:24  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The skullcap reminded me of Flash Gordon's Ming the Merciless! At least Drizzt has hair.
Great art, if a little dark. They appear to be orcs. Orogs maybe?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  20:25:02  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fro my money best picture of drizz't was the first one, on the cover of the crystal shard, come to that its the best depiction of all three of them IMO.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  23:25:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff Easley, an artist who has done Drizzt art, if I recall correctly, has a new site up.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  15:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite Drizzt picture has always been the one on the cover of Realms of Valor (that cover also has my favorite pic of Elminster).
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  19:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the latter day images. I just can't get behind the bright pink skin or even the blue complexion he sometimes sports.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bergan
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  20:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Bergan's Homepage Send Bergan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep! Well done remembering Realms of Valor - that WAS an excellent picture.

Generally speaking though - I've seen far better fan art than the majoity of the Drizzt covers.
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  21:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover looks similiar to "The thousand orcs". Same colors, same style of drawing.

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  01:04:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

The cover looks similiar to "The thousand orcs". Same colors, same style of drawing.

Same artist if I recall correctly, so no surprise there.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  03:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could they be Derro? Either that or Orogs would be my second guess I think someone else mentioned that already though.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  10:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Could they be Derro? Either that or Orogs would be my second guess I think someone else mentioned that already though.

Really i don't know who they are. At first i thought that they are some kind of undead, but no - look at the face of the farthest creature from Drizzt. They are not orogs, nor derro.

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  22:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I swear, Brandon Lee would have been the perfect Drizzt. I watch The Crow, and I can't help thinking of Drizzt.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 14 Aug 2004 04:58:28
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  01:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

Same artist if I recall correctly, so no surprise there.

Todd Lockwood.

Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  12:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can click the image here to get a bigger pic.

http://www.o-love.net/realms/gal_hun.html

they look kinda apelike... i would say they are orcs... or maybe orogs

PS click the image of the first cover and you will see similarities to the two bands of creatures... the orcs are very apelike in both.

Edited by - Phobos on 16 Aug 2004 12:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Bergan
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Bergan's Homepage Send Bergan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They look like yetis to me.

Orcs, to me at least, should look more like the ones in the recent LotR films. I never had much truck with the pig-faced look.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000