Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaigning in Kara-Tur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Harksen
Acolyte

Denmark
5 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2020 :  21:51:53  Show Profile Send Harksen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

I have re-started my FR campaign again after a 15-year hiatus. It's great. For a number of reasons it remains a 2e game, and with my own timeline from around 1970+ DR. Right now we are in The Year of Three Streams Blooded (1384 DR). It's with three PCs level 13-14 each.

To "get back" again I have played some games on familiar ground where the PCs settled down 15 years ago: The North, more specifically The High Forest and Silverymoon. Now I am taking them to a very different location: Kara-Tur. Have any of you played there, and can you share your experiences? I would love to hear about them. I am familiar with the original Kara-Tur Adventures from TSR (some of which I am incorporating into my own campaign, see below) but would love to get suggestions from you guys.

The next month or two the game is split up into three solo-games (because of real-time reasons), but the first part of the Kara-Tur adventure will follow roughly the same pattern for each PC, like this:

FACES OF DECEPTION (no, nothing to do with the novel, I just like the title)

The background story is, in short, that a Red Wizard whom the PCs met five years ago (game time) has started a opium business in Wa, Kara-Tur. He is now seeking to expand it to the Western Realms. Here he has been testing a portal connection from Wa to the High Forest. Enter - the players.

1. Chasing Shadows
The wife of one of the PCs has been kidnapped by strange men clad all in black. The PCs run through the High Forest from where they were situated, to get to the place where she was captured. Random encounters on the way. Getting there, they discover an ancient monolith that functions as a portal to "somewhere". Signs indicate that she and her abductors disappeared through the portal. The PCs trigger the opening and enter one by one.

From here it turns into three solo games, since the portal sends them through to Wa at different times (within the same 24 hours).

2. Shadow Mountains
Stepping out onto a plateau in the southern part of Jufosu Range, Wa. Cloudy and very strange. Turns out the portal is a one-way ticket, it appears.

There are fragments of an old wood cabin close by to be examined, but not much to be found here.

Tracks lead down a narrow trail through the mountains. Random encounter of local creatures and monsters.

3. Three Streams Blooded
A River Spirit in the guise of an old man is weeping by a blooded stream. At first he is scared of the "ganji", the strange PC. Depending on whether the PC can speak the local language or otherwise communicate, he tries to get the PC's help, pointing up the stream - where three streams can be seen flooding into one. There is blood. Clearly, something is happening further upstream. The River Spirit is dying.

4. Camp of Evil
At the bank the PC discovers that a ragged group of bushi, commanded by an evil ronin, has been torturing a number of ex-members of the bushi-group (including the original leader) and what is actually a messenger from one of the Three Families (to be used later on) who was on his way to the town of Jasuga. Horses hang. All this slaughter is making the water turn to blood, in effect suffocating the River Spirit.

One way or the other the PC must overcome the group, and, at a minimum, stop the blood in the water.

Returning, the River Spirit is now younger and more vital. He will give a gift of some sort. Plus pointing the direction where the wife and kidnappers travelled.

5. The Cabin of Hu Hsien
Exiting the foot of the mountains, the PC can sleep in this cabin where two beautiful Wa-women live. They are actually hu hsien, but will try to keep it a secret, and it does not need to end up with a fight and killing. If the PC in some way has knowledge etc. they are curious and may initiate exchange of knowledge, perhaps offering drinking. They may be an interesting way for the PC to gain rudimentary knowledge of local traditions etc. before moving on. They also give clues that the wife's kidnappers passed a few days ago, travelling in the direction of Jasuga.

The adventure continues, of course. But that's it so far. I will write up the second part later, but I'd love to hear if you have suggestions for future use, to spice up things

Henrikus
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000