Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  11:52:49  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor
Also. Why did I first read the title of this thread as "Ed Greenwood on Tinder"?

Elminster on Tinder would be much more entertaining!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2019 :  01:22:36  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(continuing on with #askelminster, leaving the absolutely absurd volume of #realmslore to poor Wooly)

Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 02 Apr 2019
Q: Is it appropriate to haggle over prices in a Waterdhavian shop?

Elminster: It really doth depend on the shop, but in general, Waterdhavians want to do business and are used to competition, so unless the shop is haughty (and such establishments are to be found in Sea Ward and a few mainstreet frontages in North Ward and Castle Ward), it hurts not to try. However, if this angers the proprietor, or he or she saith “The cobbles are firm” (short for: “I stand by this price, and the cobbles are firm beneath my feet,” which really means: I can’t go lower and make ANY profit at all), then NO, haggle not. Yet if ye make a habit of this, don’t expect to get waited on before a customer who’s an unknown, or looks to be an outlander, or who rushes to pay full price for something spotted in the shop window. The Deep is an expensive city to live in, so although competition is the great leveler, there ARE “floor minimums.” And if shop staff seem to enjoy haggling, but then say something like “The day DOES draw on,” or “My, but the sun races across the sky,” they are signalling that their patience for the bargaining game is drawing to an end. And unless ye’re ordering something by the thousands, haggle not in a guild headquarters, unless ye’re TRYING to be insulting. Get too ripe a reputation for haggling, and ye’ll earn the rebuff: a hard stare whilst a single copper coin (often tarnished, bent or battered, or of an outland minting) is dropped into a bowl, then retrieved and dropped again, repeatedly.

Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 03 Apr 2019
Q: I dwell in North Ward, Waterdeep. My neighbours’ house and yard are more than unkempt; rats run about amid rotting food, old broken furniture, and the corpses of…pets? Slain intruders? If I complain, will lawkeepers do something?

Elminster: The Watch will likely search the property for signs of a crime (like the remains being human), forcing entry if need be to do so. And snarl and roar at the owner to clean it up, particularly if the owner snarls and roars at their request or their intrusion. And there, unless contraband is found in the building or evidence of another crime, the matter will likely rest, though Watch patrols will keep an eye on the property from then on, waiting for a transgression, so they can then pounce. If a property becomes a “peril” rather than an eyesore, the city may send a work crew to clean it up (a bill for this will be added to the tax demand levied on the owner) or even pull the property down and seize the land (this last is VERY rare, as citizens are reminded that the Lords could do as much to them, and always raise a protest that the Lords shouldn’t have such power). And by the way, the mere presence of rats is NOT a matter for complaint; in a coastal harbor city with extensive sewers and deeper places beneath, they are common (some say they far outnumber the human inhabitants) and impossible to eradicate; seasoned Waterdhavians ignore them, smiting them only when they bite or ravage foodstuffs or clothing. There are even chapbooks of recipes for preparing rat for the dining table to be had in the right shops and stalls; quite popular in dock Ward, I’m told. Myself, I roast rats stuffed with almonds, on skewers, until crispy (so the furry skin becomes like crackling, and can be readily pulled off and discarded). Then dust with cinnamon or nutmeg, and enjoy!

(slight follow-up)

Tim -Madness is just a state of mind- Bend, @being_tim, 03 Apr 2019
Dear Elminster. If you can afford almonds, nutmeg, and cinnamon, why are you eating rats?

Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 03 Apr 2019
Elminster saith: The right rats are a delicacy. So are the right cockroaches (roast them well, mind). Ye must set aside Earth cuisine attitudes and prejudices when in the Realms. (Though if ye successfully manage to sneak in ice cream, I'll be thy FRIEND.)

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 06 Apr 2019 01:23:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:11:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Thayan web of bells:

2 Apr 2019

@Edward96094160
Making A Thayan character, I noticed an item called A Web of Bells, which is apparently a dancers costume Do you have any insight into what it ooks like/how it was used? Or anything else interesting about Thay? Big fan Thank you for your time :)

@TheEdVerse
Hi!
A Web of Bells is rather drafty/revealing for outdoor wear: picture an bodystocking, wrist-cuffs to collar to ankle-cuffs, entirely made of (usually black, but can be crimson) fishnet, with TINY bells (look like pearls) sewn to every cord-junction. Used for "exotic" dancing, in dimly-lit clubs and on raised stages/tables. Many Thayans who aren't dancers buy one, because when worn as an undergarment to social functions, and tiny bits of it revealed to particular persons, it can be used as a signal of "I'm interested" in a hookup. Can be worn by either gender, but more often seen on women. NOT for wear by slaves, unless you're signalling that you are freeing this particular being who's wearing one. And yes, Thay's an interesting place. @gkrashos has done an essential "root Realmslore" Thay piece that you can find (for free!) on the DM's Guild: Tyrants in Scarlet: the Founding History of the Zulkirs of Thay. (It's a lot more than just history! It explains the Big Secret of Thay.)
#Realmslore

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:41:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:12:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a dragon accessing 11th or 12th level spells:

13 Mar 2019

@DNDartWizard
I'm hooked here sir! Assuming it is set in FR, would it be possible for the dragon to find a way to access the 11th and 12th level spells that Mystra has (rightly so) banned?

Also chose not to answer as you are busy writing this novel and dont wish to spoil!

@TheEdVerse
Heh. No. If the dragon reached the verge of succeeding in accessing such magics, Mystra would "bend the Weave around" said wyrm, effectively cutting him off from ALL magic. Either destroying him due to what he's become, or letting him receive just the trickle necessary to let him continue existing. Mystra's tolerance, mercy, and patience have all been shortened by the events of the last century and a bit.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:41:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:15:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On being forced from Waterdhavian nobility:

18 Mar 2019

@djtigon
can a noble house/family be cast out of nobility by the rest of the nobility in Waterdeep?

@TheEdVerse
Oh, yes. Not officially, but a firm-majority-shunning would be recognized by the Masked Lords and formalized by the Open Lord. It's very rare, though, because unless a noble house is trying to poison the water supply or destroy the ancient elven magic that keeps the city from collapsing into Undermountain, or otherwise endanger the entire city, getting a majority of the nobles to agree on much of anything (beyond "we nobles are special, and should be treated as such") is nigh-impossible.
#Realmslore

@djtigon
What then might be the penalty if it came to light that a noble house wound up having a tainted bloodline and not truly being human after all

@TheEdVerse
No likely legal or official penalty at all, just a loss of prestige and influence ("standing," they'd call it in the Realms) within the ranks of nobles, because some of the oldest, wealthiest, haughtiest Deep houses have some "humans first, humans pure" attitudes.

@djtigon
Right, that's why i thought they might try to force them out of the city. Very cool. Thank you for the clarification. Might spin this then as some racial attacks, burning effigies etc led by unknown persons in an effort to scare them out of town

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:17:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the borders of the Stonelands:

5 Apr 2019

@garethgarfoot
Various sources give different descriptions of where the Stonelands start and finish, can you clarify their extent? Regards and best wishes GG

@TheEdVerse
They begin at the cliff-edge that the E-W trade road through Eveningstar runs along the bottom/S edge of, and run N to where rocks end and desert sands begin. E and W ends of the Stonelands are far less distinct on a map, but are clear if you're on the ground: they're where the rock ridges and breakneck ravines between them start (both features running roughly E-W). The reason why maps tend to be vague is because no one lives there, and the terrain is so rugged.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:42:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:18:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On some elven words:

10 Mar 2019

@FRAltDimensions
Hi Ed, I was wondering if you had an elvish word for Garden. In particular i'm trying to come up with a name for Winter's Garden as a place. I think Aug might refer to Winter but i'm struggling to find a word for garden.
Kind Regards
Gary

@TheEdVerse
Sure. Elves in the Realms have several words for the cold season and for gardens (depending on how tended and what for, but I'd go with "loress" for winter and "tlarranen" for garden, and they'd probably be combined as "loresstlar."
#Realmslore

@gkrashos
In a previous reply on 17/2/19 you said that "oth" was the elvish word for Winter. Can we assume that "loress" works for "cold season" generally or is it a racial version of Winter (i.e. used by the wood elves)?

@TheEdVerse
Yes. "Oth" is the macro 'cold time of year' whereas "loress" is 'nature's cold season' for gardeners/growing things. When speaking of blizzards, closed roads, and dying of exposure, say "oth," but when speaking of hibernation, dormancy, and cold-resistant plants, say "loress." :}

12 Mar 2019

@gkrashos
Hi Ed, musing on things elven again with my partner in crime and wondering if you had the elvish words for "sadness/sorrow", "tear/tears" (as in wet stuff out of the eyes) and some gem types: diamond, ruby, sapphire, emerald and most of all, amber. Thanks so much

@TheEdVerse

Hi! Happy to help! In all FR Elvish and related tongues, gemstone names have the same singular and plural word form (i.e. “dwaor” means “diamond” AND “diamonds”), and the rest of the sentence gives context (i.e. a numerator; for a few of these, see hereafter

dwaor = diamonds
raor = rubies
eleglim = sapphires
laqaith = emeralds
oum = moonstones
ohulnar = amber (literally “frozenfire” so “ohul” = frozen and “rathnar” = one of several words for aspects of fire)

ildim = sadness
imdaur = lasting sorrow, mourning
naor = never
ilnay = tear, tears
nayal = weeping/crying
nayaln = wept

one = ae
two = ounae
three = teth
four = dloum
many = juthuss
...and that’s it for this delve through the old lore notes. :}
#Realmslore

@gkrashos
Brilliant @TheEdVerse. Thank you so much. One last thing: moon elves are Teu'Tel'Quessir = how do you say the "Teu" part? Is it like "toe", "tay" or something else? This Realmslore stuff is fun!

@TheEdVerse
I pronounce it like "two," except pursing the lips in mid-syllable so it's more "tee-you" (but fast, so "tyu" more than tee-you). ;}
Yes, I've noticed it's fun, too. And addictive. ;}
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:48:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:19:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On wishing someone a happy birthday:

30 Mar 2019

@sno4wy
Another follow-up for the Archmage: Do Realmsians wish each other happy birthdays like we do by saying "Happy Morn Day", or something to that effect ("Good Morn Day"?)?

@TheEdVerse
They say so many summers or so many winters. For instance, if you lived in the Realms and were named Bran, and had been born thirty winters ago (spring is lumped with summer, and fall with winter, for this usage only), you'd be saluted verbally on your birthday with waves or smiles or hugs or nods (depending on the closeness of your relationship with the being saluting you) as they said, "Thirty winters, Bran!" or just "Thirty winters!"
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:48:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:24:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On leadership of a sect of Bane:

31 Mar 2019

@MTGPackFoils
If a sect of Bane bad 2 Clerics, one with 12 levels of Cleric but other levels in say Fighter, and a 16th level Cleric with 4 levels in Blackguard, which one would be the leader reporting to a regional leader or Fzoul? How would any conflict w/ the two be resolved?

@TheEdVerse
That depends more on the individual characters of the two clerics (as people, not in game level terms) and their prior position in the church hierarchy and whether they're personally "in favour" or not, than it does on levels. If "neck-and-neck," then the one with more levels as a cleric (which is a personal power measure of "holy standing" i.e. status with the deity). So, the most powerful factor is how Fzoul or a regional leader regards a cleric (i.e. "in favour" or not), the second most powerful is their church rank and real daily influence among the clergy. The third is what they're like "as people" (personal character). If the two characters are about equal when those three factors are all considered, than the one with more levels as a cleric would take the lead.

And as for how conflicts between the two would be resolved, that's a matter for roleplaying. Within the Church of Bane there's a strict hierarchy, but there's so much intrigue, deception and misdirection, and going to the ears of rivals through side-channels that strict rank is often undermined. Which keeps "pulling rank" from being misused, and so is tolerated by Fzoul, not just by Bane. Please note that this "chaotic" state of affairs is preferred and constantly promoted by Manshoon and various beholders involved with the church. Fzoul is "loudest voice" and "give the orders" leader, but he's so deftly and constantly manipulated by Manshoon and the beholders and even several senior clerics and Zhent mages, that Elminster and others regard him as a puppet leader.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:49:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:26:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On spellbooks:

14 Mar 2019
@XynRaven
Are spellbooks just simple books with spells recorded in them and get carried around like any typical item, or do Wizards materialize them out of nothing at will?

@TheEdVerse
Neither. As in, they aren't simple, at all. Depending on the edition of the game and the DM's decisions, they may need special paper or equivalent writing surface (e.g. beaten metal pages; see my Pages From The Mages DRAGON articles or 2e sourcebook of the same name for examples), and the spells must be written with special inks, varying from spell to spell, that require as ingredients some rare and difficult/dangerous to obtain substances (e.g. wyvern's blood, cockatrice feathers, illithid brain ichor, beholder eye fluid), just to "contain" the power of the spell's enchantment (a written spell usually consists of a written incantation, a written-out process for how to intone it and the process of gesturing and focusing the mind and using any material components, plus glyphs on the page that store essential spell triggering energies). Or the DM may decide to dispense with this level of detail, though it alone can make for a great one-player-one-DM "solo arcane spellcaster PC" campaign (the adventuring for acquiring all of these necessities).
But in any case, a spellbook is a literal book carried around. There are spells that allow a spellbook to be held extra-dimensionally and whisked to the caster upon command, and rare beings have managed spells to "hold a spellbook in their heads, BUT these spells are inherently unstable, and risk damage to the book and the caster's mind (which has its mental limits; see my Realms novel SHADOWS OF DOOM for an example of someone powerful trying to cope with being overloaded), loss of the book, and inability to retrieve the book when needed.
In addition to all of this, many spellbooks are encrypted; that is, written in a shorthand code understandable only to those "in the know." A few even have pitfalls (mistakes) built in to mislead the unwary who try to cast or memorize a spell from the book, trusting it, if they don't know about these traps. Meaning the spell fails when cast, or has an unintended and unforeseen magical effect.
So a spellbook, to an arcane spellcaster, is the greatest treasure.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:50:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:28:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On presentation of nobles in Cormyr:

14 Mar 2019

@jayeedgecliff

RE Azoun IV’s reign. May we get a clear picture of a noble heir being Presented To The King?
I know of glimpses, Cormyr for example (“Moderation, my leige?”)
But I’m not aware of a detailed scene.
Related tangent, how formalised was any “Young person of importance” coming out/being presented at court (which is the more typical phrasing in later 1350s?) – a fate that awaited/awaits most/all the children of any “family of significance”, as opposed to Presented to King which is just heir apparents, yes?

@TheEdVerse
Hi! During Azoun’s reign, “being presented at Court” is indeed the correct phrase in Cormyr. The same process applied to everyone of noble birth, not just heirs, and was twofold. Young person, when THEY feel ready (unless they pass their 22nd birthday without doing this, whereupon an envoy escorted by a Highknight and a War Wizard will come to them, to enquire why), will request an audience. Usually the request is conveyed through a parent (or older relative than the young person, if death or ill health prevents a parent doing so), and the parent accompanies them to Court.
Where they have a private meeting with a clerk of the Court (again, backed by a Highknight and a War Wizard, plus a second hidden War Wizard who’ll use magic to detect falsehoods when they want to) about their personal aims, interests/hobbies, what they’d like to see change in the realm, what they like and want to preserve unchanged in the realm, and where they see their own life heading over the next two decades. This meeting takes place in the Royal Court building.
Then, later the same day, or the next day if the King is really busy (if the King is away, the first appointment won’t be made until he is), they have a private audience with the King (who is protected via spells, including a wall of force if need be, by Vangey or Laspeera or another of the most senior War Wizards, in adjacent hiding (in a chamber linked via a secret door and spyholes with the audience chamber; there are six suitable small audience chambers in the Palace, which is where THIS meeting takes place. Azoun just wants to share some wine or tea and biscuits or “smallbites” (canapes) with the young person and get to know them; he’ll be friendly and informal, but try to learn enough of their true character to take his measure of them. Ideally, he wants this “moot” to end with the young person regarding their King as a friend.
In all cases, if the King is unavailable for extended periods (this befell very rarely), Queen Filfaeril stood in for him.
After this “real” presentation happens, the young person will receive a formal written invitation from an older noble, usually of another gender and almost always of a clear generation older, to be “on their arm” at the next dance, ball, or revel that the King and Vangey deem suitable (i.e. NOT one where a delegation from another country is being entertained upon THEIR first arrival). The older noble escorts them and introduces them, and may act as their ‘date’ for the rest of the evening if the young person desires it (usually only if they’re really shy), and is also responsible for seeing them safely home/back to their Suzailan lodgings, and for pulling them aside to privately explain any faux pas; War Wizards and Highknights, NOT in uniform, will be among the revelers and never far from the young person, because they are in fact tasked with spying on the young person to overhear who they talk to, what they say, and to take their own measures of the young person (intel that goes back to Vangey, who will pass it on to Fee and Azoun if he thinks it best). And Vangey will decide if the young person is a “peril” to the realm or someone who might be an asset if recruited to Crown service in some capacity, and will assign undercover agents to befriend and ‘steer’ either sort of young person, in the years ahead, to either NOT being a peril or into doing something they can be arrested for, or towards a recruitment meeting when the time is right (when the young person is ready for acceptance).
And there you have it. :}
[P.S. In #4 above, in early days, mind-reaming might occur if War Wizards grew suspicious.]
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:59:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:34:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Netherese and Imaskari magical items and mutable runes:

24 Mar 2019

@Greysil_Tassyr
If a magical device, particularly a staff, was made by the Imaskari, are there any "tells" -- magical or physical -- that it is Imaskari? What about for a staff of Netherese origin?

@TheEdVerse
For a FEW of both, yes: special alloys, making exclusive to those cultures, for staves made of metal, or mounted/shod with metal.
#Realmslore

@Greysil_Tassyr
A followup, if I may: what would be the special alloys used by the Imaskari? And is there anything they wouldn't use, in a staff?

@TheEdVerse
Alloys no one knows how to make in the modern-day Realms, that tend to be light, silvern- or ale-hued, malleable, non-ferrous and therefore resistant to corrosion/rusting, and capable of a lasting smooth glossy finish.

While it's a mistake to view either the Imaskari or Netherese as monolithic cultures, when they were really groups of very diverse individuals experimenting with magic and "craftwork" in many different ways, there is another, even rarer Imaskari 'tell': mutable runes.

Mutable runes are something no one else seems to have mastered (Mystra and the current Weavemasters who serve her frown on their use): runes etched into an enchanted item that CHANGE depending on who touches the item: a rune with the powers of X 'melts into' a different rune, Y, that has the powers of Y, not of X. One of those runes will be the default rune, that the item reverts to when not grasped, and no one ever managed to layer more than three mutable runes in one item (such items can also bear "fixed" runes).

The reason this is frowned on today is that the 'sharing space' property of the differing magics makes the item inherently unstable. That is, more likely to break in an explosion that will generate wild magic effects as well as a blast. Adding to mutable item rarity.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:34:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On demihumans in Cormyr's nobility:

15 Mar 2019

@jayeedgecliff
In Cormyr I know the demihumans are generally well regarded but I can’t help notice none are higher up the social order than Respected Shopkeep. None seem to be members of the noble or royal families. Is this by coincidence or some policy of law/tradition? /

Connectedly I know half-elves are prevalent in the fiction due to their long being a PC race in D&D, and I seem to recall you had a human-halfling (or was it dwarf … something short) in … El’s Daughter? (Don’t own a copy, read 10 El books in a week yrs ago) and /

Some game products have referenced human/demi halfs (just a mechanic of 3e I think … never really played that or 4). But what about demi/demi halfs? An elf-dwarf or halfling-orc? I can imagine they’re rarer but is there anything inherent in Toril’s make up that excludes this?

@TheEdVerse

Demi/demis have never been featured in published lore, so the few I've created for the home Realms campaign (elf-dwarf, mainly) have never been "seen." Culturally they'd be rare because of the paucity of opportunities for pairings between certain races.

In Cormyr, there are fewer dwarf crossbreeds because fewer dwarves because it was dragon territory and then elf territory before the coming of the humans, and fewer elf crossbreeds because the early humans saw the elves as competition to be pushed out or shunned, and that "set attitudes." Hence the lack of representation in the royal (one human family line!) and noble families; if a noble family wasn't oldblood or founding, it was ennobled for service to the monarch, which meant courtiers or sponsors or military of Cormyrean stock, which again meant human. In recent times, with Vangey's paranoia lessening, and all the upheavals, attitudes have been shifting, so any "keeping bloodlines pure" racist thinking is fading fast.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:54:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:35:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On freeing the kobold deity Kurtulmak:

31 Mar 2019

@ordolupus
#forgottenrealms lore question. What would be the consequence of freeing Kultulmak god of kobolds, that was trapped by Garl Glittergold (that tricksy bastard) underground. Asking because I am pondering doing just that.

@TheEdVerse
Doom to the world, if you believe the gnomes, because Kurtulmak is trapped for "eternity," so if you free him, eternity ends = oblivion = campaign ends. If you believe kobolds, it will bring about a great war with gnomes as K seeks vengeance. And if you then trust Elminster, that will bring doom to the kobolds, because thanks to Gond and the gnomish tendency to craft ingenious devices, and to many gnomes dwelling among humans in human-dominated cities and so knowing how to draw on financial resources and needed materials, the gnomes will crush the kobolds in any full-on conflict, reducing the race to "scattered dwellers in the deep places" (in the words of a certain prophecy), and we all know how fierce conditions are in the Underdark.
But of course, your mileage may vary. ;}

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:54:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On High Inquisitors of Bane:

5 Apr 2019

@MTGPackFoils
Hi. I have another question. After watching this video multiple times I am wondering if the title for “High Inquisitor” applies to the Clergy leader for each sect of Banites per region, or if Fzoul is the only one with that title.

@TheEdVerse
High priests of Bane have regional leaders who are "Inquisitors." Like the real-world Pope, there is supposed to be only one "High Inquisitor," but at times of schism, there may briefly be two or even more rival High Inquisitors.

And in the 1370s there was briefly a beholder that styled itself "The Anointer Of High Inquisitors" (and proclaimed several, to send against Fzoul; none lasted long).
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:52:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:38:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On how Dagult Neverember is regarded in Waterdeep:

18 Mar 2019

@zac_stelling
Replying to @TheEdVerse
Hmm, this might be 4e stuff that's been swept under the pelt, but I think that Dagult Neverember was forced out of waterdhavian nobility for his "excessive" involvement in Neverwinter and lack of presence in Waterdeep. Is that right? #Realmslore

@TheEdVerse
In the eyes of Waterdeep's nobles, Dagult Neverember was never IN their ranks. The Open Lord and Masked Lords need not be of the Deep's nobility (and the Open Lord hasn't really ever been), and often function more as a check/rival to the nobles (though the nobles usually have some representation among the Masked Lords, both to be a part of/informed about the governing debates and rule-making, and because there are always some nobles who personally like wielding power.
#Realmslore

@Welhaven1
Is Dagult generally disliked in Waterdeep or does he still have supporters?

@TheEdVerse
Both. As in: he's generally disliked (as in, by the city at large; among the current Masked Lords and Palace staff, he's remembered with loathing, as are many individuals who stir things up), but still has a few supporters.
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:50:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:39:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On music enjoyed by cultured Suzailians:

31 Mar 2019

@jayeedgecliff
throughout the eras of history I know much about there’s been the instruments encouraged as Cultured among the educations of well-bred folk (harps, piano) & too the scandalous popular instruments (guitar, horn, uke, elec guitar of the 1880s to 1960s, for example) /

What’s a Cultured Suzailian play+enjoy in 1357-1360 era, and what do they like to get down the Pubs to hear & learn that gives mummy heart failure after evenfeast?
Thanks

@TheEdVerse
Heh. Harps are nigh the only "cultured" portable instruments (due to expense, difficulty of mastering); nobles and temples can afford non-portable instruments like the serpent and bellows-organs. Most Suzailans enjoy music, and most Suzailans are used to a wide range of instruments of all sorts, but minstrels usually lead in play; lacking them, a melody is carried by a strong-voiced singer supported by "slaptable" percussion and various "pipes" (like our real-world "recorder").

What brings on elders' heart failure in the way of music are usually bawdy alternate verses for well-known songs (i.e. parodies or "the dirty versions").
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:51:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  15:40:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On musical groups in the Realms:

3 Apr 2019

@SpeedboatJones
are there musical groups in Faerun, or are entertainers a solo act only? Also, has there ever been instances when music from our world found its way to Faerun?

@TheEdVerse
Yes, there are many, many musical groups, and even lone traveling minstrels will jam together if they wind up in the same inn or campsite for a night. And, yes, some music from our world has made it to the Realms via Elminster and others (the Welsh tune often referred to as "All Through The Night" and Greensleeves, to name two songs I can recall right away).
#Realmslore

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2019 15:51:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2019 :  16:01:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

(leaving the absolutely absurd volume of #realmslore to poor Wooly)

I'm now caught up on the stuff I'd gathered... But there's still a lot to gather!

Go to Top of Page

Dravian
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  05:31:38  Show Profile  Visit Dravian's Homepage Send Dravian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On FR3 - Empires of the Sands

16 April 2019

@AdamDravian
I'm trying to suss out what parts of FR3 were invented by Scott. My guess: Deepshadow, Kartak the litch, the "Monster of the Lake", Icehaupt, Ernest Gallowglass, Company of Eight, Gorge of the Fallen Idol backstory, Djen origins of Calimshan, & Zanassu. Hot or cold?

@TheEdVerse
Brief response to this one: hot. Every one you list is likely by Scott, because not invented by me.

I write an R-rated '80s-themed action-comedy webcomic called Satan Ninja 198X; you can check it out at http://satanninja.com
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2019 :  15:12:25  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
21 APR 19

Q: What is the largest Dragon Turtle on Toril? Are there any that could contend with Ralauthoarindulglaw or other such dragons? Thanks!

@TheEdVerse
I’m not sure. There have been reports of very large, very old ‘deep turtles’ that rule clusters of tropical islands, dining at will on the rich fish stocks and reef life. Many seasoned sailors suspect many of the ships that vanish in such waters don’t hit shoals and sink, but are snatched from below by dragon turtles, dragged down and engulfed whole or bitten in half and devoured, the indigestibles being spat out and all the rest consumed. Creatures that have water to support their weight, as air does not, can grow larger in the ocean depths than on land, so there should be twoscore or more dragon turtles that could rival Ralauthoarindulglaw.
The largest I know of was Thaelin [THAY-linn], an island-sized dragon turtle that once laired in water-filled caverns in the submerged slopes of Tharsult, and was slain by a determined ad hoc army of hired wizards when he depredations began to imperil Tharsult’s shipping and therefore commerce.
There have been reports of truly titanic dragon turtles basking off the south coast of Ulgarth. Locals there dubbed one of them “Sursylk” [SURR-silk] after a legend about a sinking island that may very well have been a dragon turtle. Or some other very large aquatic creature.

Edited by - Sunderstone on 09 May 2019 16:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2019 :  17:02:00  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Q: Hi Ed. I have some more Madeiron questions, sorry he's my favorite! #128512;Did he interact with the populace? What did they think of him? Would he be a welcome site in a Waterdeep tavern? Did he ever uses his awesome strength to entertain local children? Thanks!

A:Hi! Yes, he shopped and walked the streets like a commoner whenever not on bodyguard duty. He was well liked, as a quiet, friendly, fair, and gentle man (yes, he liked to play with children, and "boost" them in one palm to sit up high and see the world from there).

And yes, he'd be welcome in a tavern (especially by the tavernmasters [barkeepers], because he could and would restore order if brawls were occurring, or quell one from happening. He was a "gentle giant" but NOT dim-witted; he noticed small swift movements...

...without seeming to look for them or spot them, so could conduct himself superbly in a coming-from-all-sides fight. Being able to lift and throw tables effortlessly, and chairs with occupants in them, helps too. ;}
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:38:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on some popular authors:

16 May 2019

@ale_mechelli
could Elminster please mention us some famous book authors/writers (wizards, researchers or general sages) well known throughout the Forgotten Realms (or at least in the academic circles)?
#8207;

@TheEdVerse
Volo is notorious (= well-known). ;}
However, when you want to add "respected" to that, in the 1490s DR, the writers "everyone" has heard of are: Uldro Aunghast of Baldur's Gate (popular sage and historian, author of THE HAERETH, a handbook of botany, geology, and gardening/agricultural lore, and many others), Tamra Tasildar (writer of many romantic historical epics, including LION OF LIONS), and Torndren Murmorl (who pens endless chapbooks simplifying various science and history topics, like a few pages of a real-world Uncle John's bathroom reader). Waterdeep, Silverymoon, and the Cormyrean and Sembian cities are home to many popular fiction writers, including Amaerra Tontheene, Galdror Ghanalask, Veldren Omdalar, and Sarla Imryrtan.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:39:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a knightly order that would explore beyond the Trackless Sea:

20 Jun 2019

@davespring
Dear @TheEdVerse would you be so kind as to suggest a knightly order (or godly) that would be interested in exploring beyond the Trackless Sea between the Year of Blue Flame and the Year of the Grinning Halfing (1481 DR), likely operating out of the Sword Coast North, if any.

@davespring
Of course, I've though of my own, but I prefer to borrow from canon where possible, as my players are familiar with the FR (especially the 12 year old who's recently begun devouring the novels).

@TheEdVerse
Sure!
One good candidate order would be the Knights of the Mystic Fire, sending out expeditions from Silverymoon and Waterdeep to seek magic items beyond the Trackless Sea that may have survived the Spellplague and Sundering, to destroy them if they have “gone wild” and to bring them back to Weavemasters (such as Open Lord Laeral and her head of secret police Elminster in Waterdeep) if they have not, for distribution across Faerűn for “mere mortals” to find and further their own mastery of magic.
In these expeditions, the Knights may be reinforced and aided by rangers of the Order of the Shooting Star.

Or for a completely different sort of exploration, certain members of the Order of the Silver Chalice, operating from their homes in Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Everlund, and Secomber, might set sail into the west in search of long-lost descendants of particular Tethyrian noble houses.

Brief overviews of these orders can be found at:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Knighthoods

Hope these help. :}
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:39:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a Paladin of Conquest serving Sune:

24 Apr 2019

@Z33B_25
I’m having trouble justifying my paladin of conquest following Sune and belonging to the Brother of the Ruby Rose (Faiths&Avatars 2E). The whole story is here (https://www.reddit.com/r/forgottenrealms/comments/bgrzkq/lorehelp_justifying_paladin_of_conquest_who/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app …) -told to ask your opinion. Can Sune’s dogma and Oaths of Conquest work together?

@TheEdVerse
Hi!
I agree that at first glance, the “style”/approach to life of a Paladin of Conquest and the nature of Sune as a deity don’t seem to go together. The perils of rolling randomly!

However, the deeper issue is that although faith in the Realms or any straight-D&D setting is different in our real world (in that belief is easier, because supported by avatars, divine manifestations, clerical spells that work and deities that on occasion act and speak directly to/upon/in the presence of mortals), the role of a paladin has always been one of self-appraisal, trying to follow a code that (except when the deity informs you directly) is always open to interpretation, and often involves ongoing conflicts when the interpretations of others (especially clergy of the same deity) differ with the paladin’s own. In short, akin to a believer’s faith being tested as in the real world, the path of any paladin is a matter of adjusting performance, and trying to act as one sees the deity desiring.

To do this REQUIRES a chance, in-game, to roleplay situations in which dogma will directly inform the paladin’s words and deeds, and if the opportunities don’t arise, the demonstration of dedication to the cause/approach/dogma can’t be made, and that’s not the player’s fault.

In this case, it could be argued that the events of Storm King’s Thunder might be a challenge to any Paladin of Conquest (even if Sune wasn’t in the picture at all).

I personally see the Brotherhood of the Ruby Rose more as guardians than conquerors, and I would see a similar uneasiness in squaring the Paladin of Conquest with the dogma of Sune, but unless a player BOASTED that he or she was choosing that form of paladinhood purely for the game mechanic bennies and didn’t care about Sune at all, I’d allow it—AND test the character with in-game situations to see how that particular paladin character made Conquest and Sune’s dogma work together. In other words, add richness to the roleplaying with the inherent strain/conflict (it’s a feature, not a bug ;} ). Remember, paladins can fall from grace (I don’t mean into evil villainy, I mean lose their paladinhood), and even (a roleplaying opportunity again!) leave one order of paladins to join another that more closely suits who they are or what they’re becoming (with the deity’s approval).

So were I the DM in this situation, I’d let the player try to play a Paladin of Conquest who is a member of the Brotherhood of the Ruby Rose, dedicated to Sune…and over time provide plenty of roleplaying opportunities for PC development. I do agree that a DM can end up with a nigh-impossible task if a PC party contains all sorts of special oddball characters whose lives, in the setting, couldn’t easily be lived together…but the fun in life lies in the challenges, the expanding of horizons, the stepping out of the safe and familiar—or it becomes mere existence, not life.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:40:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On alignment languages:

8 May 2019
#8207;

@AdamDravian
I'm curious as to how you handled alignment languages in your game. Was the ability divinely bestowed? Did creatures in your Realms know their "alignment"? That's an aspect of the 1e rules that I've always struggled with wrapping my head around.

@TheEdVerse
Creatures knew their alignment if clerics told them (having used know alignment spells). Alignment tongue is a shorthand code, not a full, expressive language; can be used to identify others of same alignment if they understand what you're saying; it's a way of sharing concepts/dogma central to a particular alignment (e.g. "obedience to order stultifies" or "all things are best balanced"), and must be recognized to 'unlock' it in your head. So divinely bestowed but asleep until used. I asked Gary Gygax about it back at GenCon 8 (my first), and described how I was handling it (elaborating on the bare bones I've just set down here) and he agreed: yep, you're doing it right.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:41:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On beverages of the Heartlands:

14 Jul 2019

@jayeedgecliff

I’ve asked after Cormyrian dining habits & novel after novel paints Waterhavian favourites.
What of heartland drink, Ser Greenwood?
I imagine Cormyr & Dales overlap strongly here but what *are* their favourite beverages? Intoxicating, mostly seems wine in books?

Anything about it special, like favouring blueberries or being sparling? Is there a trend of ale vs mead vs beer? What about a simple morning sip? Tea? Coffee? Cocoa?
I know Dalesmen seem inclined to start their day with a bit of hot broth.
Finally is Suzail, in this respect
Anything like Vienna is to wider Austria with unique tastes & habits found little (if at all) beyond its walls?

If it matters over much my Realms are still 1350s-60s and there’s not yet been any Time of Troubles.

@TheEdVerse
#8207;
Hi! In rural Cormyr and the Dales, as most places in the temperate forested-and-agricultural Heartlands, nigh everyone makes “small beer” at home for daily use, and makes wine from local “free” (grown on your land or readily pluckable on common land) ingredients (such as “kruth wine,” which we in our modern world would call “dandelion wine”). Crude “over-the-flames” distillation is common (habitually done by about one in eight people) for making medicines/liniments and stronger drink (often mixed with wine or beer or crushed berries as a fortifier rather than drunk “straight” as itself).
Most homemade wines in Cormyr and the Dales are made from wild berries (blackberries, raspberries, “wild grape” and the like) or other wild fruit (crabapple wine is a favourite in the Dales and eastern Cormyr). Farmers tend to make melon wine, plum wine, or apple wine (and hard cider), and the colloquial collective term for all homemade wines in this part of Faerun is “wildapple wine.” Many of the wines of this region are a light translucent green in hue due to the most popular wine “recipes” combining grapes that have skins that impart green hues during maceration, and leaves of various herbs, vines, weeds and other wild plants that do the same thing.
Aside from these green hues, there’s nothing really “different” or characteristic about drinkables of this region compared to other temperate Heartland areas; everything varies locally depending on what’s most cheaply or freely (“wild”) available as ingredients (sugars from beets [molasses] or birch wood or honey or maple syrup or various plant nectars). For some reason, mead is less popular with younger folk, and more popular with older generations.
However, daily drinks in the homes of common folk are almost all broth (the warm broth for breakfast is a do-heavy-manual-labour fortifier for all temperate-zone farmers, not just in the Dales) in mornings or chilly evenings, teas and tissanes (herbal or fruit teas) any time of day (and the most common/popular beverage, overall), with the various coffee and cocoa variants and equivalents being “acquired tastes” drunk on special occasions or by the slightly more wealthy or by those who’ve traveled far (aside from water, the ingredients are more expensive because not local).
Suzail doesn’t have a unique local drinkables scene/preferences; it’s a wealthy, busy, cosmopolitan trading port between Sembia and the Dragonreach, and the Sword Coast, so fads, fashions, and influences swiftly travel back and forth. Residents of Suzail do drink more imported wine because they can readily get it, and because the nobles of Cormyr, all having “city houses” in Suzail even if their main residences are elsewhere, set the tone by what they order in bulk for their cellars and tables. Cormyrean fads and new fashions in matters drinkable and otherwise most often begin in Suzail and spread throughout Suzail because merchants are always trying to introduce new things for the Suzailan nobles and wealthy wannabe-nobles to buy—and they are trendsetters for the rest of Cormyr, just as Cormyr and Sembia set trends for the Dales. This has been the overall situation from the mid 1100s DR up to 1500 DR, so applies to your campaign. The recent trend: sherries and almond-flavoured liqueurs from Chessenta and the Vilhon.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On buying and selling magic items:

21 Apr 2019
#8207;

@Sands_Tavares
Hey my good Sage, a question: As per 5e rules for buying an item as a downtime activity, you actually have to roll to see what items appear(better rolls, rarer items) and if a player seeks a specific one they must roll particularly high depending on rarity. There is also a bonus to represent how high/low magic the setting is, from -10 if it's super low magic to +10 if it's super high magic. What would be a reasonable bonus(if any) to add for Waterdeep in this step? I'd imagine even post-spellplague we are still dealing with magic items reasonably often in Waterdeep. And what kind of sellers might bring the items? Ships? From where? Faires? Auction Houses? Would love to hear you discuss some of the workings of the magic item economy when possible. Thanks in advance!
#8207;

@TheEdVerse
Any large crossroads trading city in the Realms that attracts a lot of money will be trending towards "super high magic." As the Realms heads into the 1500s DR, I'd put Waterdeep at a +7 bonus in harsh winter height, up to +9 at end of summer when some folk want to leave and make one last "big sale" to tide them through the winter lean trading times. In the Deep as elsewhere, magic items are held by two sorts of folk: those who have the Art (e.g. wizards) and want to use them/experiment with them/make use of them in manufacturing processes [and this sort of folk rarely want to part with them, except in trade for a "better" magic item] and investors. (In the same way that some real-world folks sit on paintings they keep in storage instead of looking at, and own houses they don't live in, to eventually resell or auction them for far more than they paid.) It's this second sort of folk that we usually neglect in published game lore, but who are far more "the source" interested adventurers can access. In the Deep, they are often nobles (who now need funds), guilds (who are heavily into the investment game, meaning they may acquire magic items having little or nothing to do with what the guild "does" daily), rising wealthy merchants (including the "wannabe nobles" who spend splashily), and less often, lower-income families finally parting with a family heirloom (often something dusty, passed down from an adventuring ancestor). Guilds and nobles only resort to "outside" auctions for anonymity; the other sorts usually do so security fears. (If nobles or guilds don't care about anonymity, they'll hold the auctions themselves so as to save on the auctioneer's take). Auction or private sale alike, the custom is to hire a Watchful Order member (the Order has a set fee for this, a very reasonable 50 gp) to provide security for the auction/sale and transfer of item (and often involves both spies and "thickneck muscle" bodyguards, a.k.a. "bullyblades" and apprentice wizards, as well as 'the' Order mage). Private sales are usually secretive, for security reasons.

And remember: the rules are guidelines/suggestions. When I DM, magic items are never determined by dice rolls; I place what I think best fits the campaign (often 'custom' items), and the hunt and the negotiations are roleplayed.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:43:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven nicknames for younger brothers:

2 May 2019

@whitniverse
Mr Greenwood, Just beginning my home campaign in the Forgotten Realms and I have an odd question. What affectionate nickname might an older Elven sister give her younger brother?

@TheEdVerse
Here are three popular nicknames among elves for younger brothers: Vuin = youngling (connotation: green, innocent); Telnaer = little hero; Telmaur = little dreamer
…Hope one of those will fit. :}
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  14:43:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On encounters at Trollskull Tavern:

27 Apr 2019

@Sands_Tavares
Sage, again I come bearing a question that should be fun for you to answer, and I'm sorry for lacking Realms knowledge to work this out all by myself(working on it!). I'm developing a random table for cool encounters that can happen during a workweek on Trollskull Tavern, nad a big part of it is also that I would like some cool random people that could stop by and give(or take) something to the characters. I thought about Minsc coming up and getting into a brawl, Mordenkainen coming up and offering a Charm, etc.

Would you have cool ideas(as many as you want to give!) for famous(or not) people they could meet around the 1490s in there? Any cool encounters that could happen? I'll be sure to share the result of my work on this with the community, and your help to make it canonically interesting would make sure it resonates with more people. Thank you kindly, yet again!

PS: I forgot to tag you on a couple of tweets but the thread is linked so I don't think it will be an issue.

@TheEdVerse
Heh. Well, it depends on what folks in the Trollskull Tavern get up to...or rather, what rumors start to spread in the city about what they're up to. The Blackstaff (Vajra) could drop by if they're up to magical hijinks, particularly if an undercover Watchful Order magist visits and is concerned about what they see or hear, Mirt may drop by either to try some shady investments dickering if it sounds like adventuring is going on he could profit from (OR come by as Laeral's spy), and Elminster is playing "head of Laeral's secret service" right now (head of the City Watch and secret police of thw Watch, the City, and the Palace, keeping eyes on all of them) and could drop by for a look if intrigued about anything. As might any adventurers you want to be working for various city nobles, guildmasters, wealthy Deep residents, and shady crime bosses who might want to size up the folks at the Trollskull to be dupes, hired muscle, or sponsored adventurers to run interference or undertake dangerous missions. Or to put it another way: Undermountain won't clean ITSELF out. ;}
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000