Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Skeksis from the Dark Crystal?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  03:23:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I saw that the 40th anniversary of the dark crystal just passed and I bought the dvd (god, to thing, this thing released before I was even ten years old... and I remembered so much from it). I just rewatched it yesterday, and I couldn't help but love watching the vulture like Skeksis, and I was thinking to myself... yeah, I was going to do a vulture-people nation in Katashaka that revered the nyama-nummo of a giant vulture/pteranadon mixture. Then I started watching some of the "making of" videos and they were talking about how the skeksis were part bird, part reptile, part dragon. I fell in love with this idea. I was wondering if there has ever been anything like an adaptation of these creatures? I was picturing doing something with these creatures having mind slaves mining up crystals, and they enslave these slaves using crystals, and also giving these beings some kind of psionics abilities.

BTW, I know someone said last year that the Garthim and the 3rd edition Crabmen (Yurians) were similar... yeah, that's pretty spot on.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1624 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  17:17:14  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MTOF will have a race of vulture men, they are once a group of 12 human wizards who stewed with the Ravenqueen when she was spell casting to become a God, which caused things to go wrong, so she cursed them to become Vulture men, Nagpa, in revenge.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  20:41:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are already in D&D - The Nagpa, from Mystara. In fact, that particular Monstrous Compendium (Mystara, TSR 2501) is chock-full of excellent critters for Katashaka (the Topi are among one of my favorite D&D critters).

And yes, the video about the Raven Queen in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes does say that the Nagpa ARE based upon the creatures from The Dark Crystal - they've just been given a new, multi-dimensional backstory.

I am just not seeing any similarities between the Yurians and the Nagpa/Skeksis. If anything, the Yuriens are a total ripoff of Warcraft's Makrura.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Apr 2018 20:48:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  23:24:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They are already in D&D - The Nagpa, from Mystara. In fact, that particular Monstrous Compendium (Mystara, TSR 2501) is chock-full of excellent critters for Katashaka (the Topi are among one of my favorite D&D critters).

And yes, the video about the Raven Queen in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes does say that the Nagpa ARE based upon the creatures from The Dark Crystal - they've just been given a new, multi-dimensional backstory.

I am just not seeing any similarities between the Yurians and the Nagpa/Skeksis. If anything, the Yuriens are a total ripoff of Warcraft's Makrura.

No, the Skeksis were served by these large, crab clawed soldiers named Garthim that kind of look like big ticks. They fit the Yurian picture quite well, except the Garthim are very black in hue.

Hmmm, and the "Skeksis" type creatures being related to the "Raven Queen" possibly long ago works for me... especially if I start hinting at there being a female like Hela and Ereshkigal long ago in other areas where Kiaransalee is not known.

Thanks for the heads up on the Mystara Monstrous Compendium. I had been heavily considering the idea of having some links to Mystara in both Anchorome and Katashaka. I'd previously looked at the Actaeon (a stag folk), the Lupins (a dog folk), Rakasta. I never noticed Hutaakans, but they fit the concept of a non-savage dog folk that resemble Egyptian type cultures. Winged monkeys known as Tabi (was having winged monkeys already, but this gives a name). Hmmm, they have Tortles too... but since I saw they had those in Chult, I decided to leave them out of Katashaka.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Apr 2018 00:14:47
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  18:01:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Mystara had more of a 'nature' vibe to their setting and creatures, so a LOT of it lends itself to rural/jungle regions.

I've already stolen the thoul for the Utter East (they look just like one of the creatures mentioned in the Blood & Magic video game - I don't recall which one, though). I've modified their lineage and backstory though, as well as their name - they're now the Trow (Drow/Troll hybrids).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000