Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sports in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  19:49:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

They play deathball in the Realms. See the article "A Half-Ogre and his Deathball Game" in Polyhedron #52.

-- George Krashos

So, this appears to be vaguely similar to American football or rugby, but including weapons, spellcasting, etc.... Whether you can pass or not, or even any details on the rules I don't see offhand. It is noted that they are wearing "cleats" though. They also show an elf drawing a dagger, he uses spiked gloves, and there's fireballs hurled.

I remember there being an old video game (it was based on a board game with minis?) based on a fantasy football game back in the 90's. It was based on warhammer and was called blood bowl. My google-fu shows that they released a blood bowl 2 video game about 5 years back and they're releasing a blood bowl 3 this year. Anyone ever play these video games? I'm just intrigued by the idea now.

HMM

I've played the tabletop version the video game is based on. It's a lot of fun, even if you don't care about American football. You've got the basics of American football (without worrying about downs and such, at least in the older version I played), but combined with fantasy elements and flat-out dirty tricks (there is, in fact, a selection of Dirty Tricks cards!). So you can have pit traps, explosives, trampolines hidden under a layer of sod, etc... You can also push opposing team members into the crowd and there's a chance they get beat up by the crowd. There's even an option for magic, as I recall, though I preferred dirty tricks.

If you're playing in a league, you need an Apothecary to be able to heal your players!

One of my personal favorite plays was to have the runner run up to the treeman, get thrown over and past the opposing team, and then catch the ball and run it in. This was all based on player abilities, not something special like a one-off lucky card draw.

I also had one game where I got a special event card saying the ref wouldn't notice what you were doing... So every turn, my team beat up one of the opposing guys and sent them off the field. IIRC, that game ended when the other player couldn't field enough people to play!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  17:21:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Let's not forget various gladiatorial sports. In some places - like the Hillsfar arena - victims fight cruel and bloody battles to the death. In more civilized places they probably amuse themselves with brawling, wrestling, sparring, and fencing events which aren't intended to be fatal.

Alaghônian merchants are common spectators at Northshire Coliseum, and nobles from as far south as Nimpeth 
make regular voyages to Reth. Adventurers can make some money by participating in arena combat, but be warned 
that many of these battles are fatal. Most professional gladiators don't want to face an opponent more than once.
- Vilhon Reach: Reth

Also, the Southsands Games (near Hlondeth) - ritual combat between soldiers from Turmish and Chondath, with large prizes.

Of the weirder blood sports, in Longsaddle (and presumably elsewhere, at least in North-West) they have "fighting frogs":

This involves trained frogs fitted with leg spurs. It's a cruel sport and is looked on with disapproval in most other places and reviled by priests of nature deities and druids.
- Volo's Guide to the North: Longsaddle / The Gambling Golem

quote:
There's apparently a lot of schools of martial arts in the Realms (judging by all the options available in the rulebooks).

There's apparently a lot of weeaboo in WotC (judging by all the options available in the rulebooks). Including whoever was Salvatore's editor at the time.
That said, emigrants from Shou Lung and other lands of Far East happen now and then.

Throwing darts, daggers, axes or just about anything that can be thrown seems pretty common.
The place gets its name from a helm hanging over the bar. If a patron
manages to toss a coin through the eye slit of the helm, he or she gets the
next glass free. This doesn't happen often. Shields behind the helm and a
large bowl beneath await all the misses.
- Volo's Guide to the North: Yartar / The Cointoss tavern.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2021 :  18:39:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Contact with the Kara-Tur area was dramatically increased, after the Tuigan invasion. There's now a significant number of Shou expatriates in Teflamm.

I seem to recall a gate leading to the Shou Lung area somewhere on the Sea of Fallen Stars, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000