Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Need interesting way to bring back someone
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  20:38:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I was just now thinking, if Osse has really been in Abeir this whole time (which makes perfect sense, since no one's ever heard of it {in-setting}, we know nothing about it, and we've only met one person from it), then what is that big landmass to the SE of Kara-Tur? No-one at WotC has ever officially said that IS Osse - thats just a fan theory we've all agreed upon.

And so I was looking at it, thinking about what could be there. My first thought was, "lets do something different". Now, we've always pictured those non-Faerūnian landmasses as 'primitive' (how very 'great white hunter' of us), but what if at least one of them was technologically superior to The Realms? So then I thought, The Iron kingdoms (its magipunk), but that setting is only the west coast of a larger landmass. So my next thought was, what can i stick on the right side of it? In one map i did I had t hanging off the east end of the Greyhawk maps, but that's not the flavor I want. I want more magi/steampunk. So then I thought, Eberron! Its actually kind of related to IK/Warmachine (it seems to have been based off of the same predecessor {Lock & Load} as that setting... in MANY ways). So I went to look at the map of Eberron to see if I could slice-off the right side of something to match-up to IK, annnnddd.... Khorvaire is actually a pretty damn good fit for Osse, as-is!

EDIT: Even better flipped upside down (I can even get the equator to line-up perfectly), because the terrain makes more sense. Visually, it looks better right-side up, but then we have weirdness with the climate. I just did a quick thing to see how it would look - its even sized perfectly. Aerenal would be better left right-side up, but then its different in its relationship to Khorvaire (and I should care about that why?)

Anyway, I find it somewhat redundant with what we already have in FR, and in my own games I've already stolen all the best parts and pasted them into my Misbegotten Realms. Most of the stuff about Dragonamrks & the Houses is down in Halruaa... which is a chain of Five large islands (and lots of smaller ones). MY Halruaa is basically Khorvaire, condensed.

And the Halruaan Airship Co. has bases in all the major cities. Just book passage and your off.
I supposed that's a little less jarring then the 'Great Cormyrian Railroad' I had been planning (just be wary of the Kara-Tur Express).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2017 23:42:28
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2470 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  21:18:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I've "discovered" what I like Laerakond, though. Because is as civilized (in canon, I mean) to the level of Faerūn (or more, as Ed said that one can use Eberron stuff for Laerakond—that means that Laerakond is a little more advanced than Faerūn, at least in a techno-magical field). I do not know nothing of Kara-Tur, though...

But the point is that is not "primitive land with inferior civilization", like Maztica and Lopango and those...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  21:59:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eberron in Abeir?

That makes no sense - Eberron is HIGH magic, even more so than FR.

EDIT:
Unless... you could somehow spin the Dragonmarks as a bloodline (sorceror), or fetish-pact (Shaman/Warlock) with the tattoos as foci. Still, way too much magic to be in a non-magic setting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2017 22:02:09
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2470 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  00:20:43  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Eberron is more like low-magic. Usually, only player characters are the ones casting high powered spells (there is only one or two persons in all of Eberron capable of using resurrection spells, beyond player characters, for instance). On the other hand, magic items are more widespread on Eberron (just like on Abeir), as well as aimed to more mundane and practical applications. I guess that kind of applications will be more common on Abeir.

On the other hand, is very likely Abeir will have more psionic and primal magic than Toril, as well.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 02 Aug 2017 00:24:25
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  00:23:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You know, I was just now thinking, if Osse has really been in Abeir this whole time (which makes perfect sense, since no one's ever heard of it {in-setting}, we know nothing about it, and we've only met one person from it), then what is that big landmass to the SE of Kara-Tur? No-one at WotC has ever officially said that IS Osse - thats just a fan theory we've all agreed upon.

And so I was looking at it, thinking about what could be there. My first thought was, "lets do something different". Now, we've always pictured those non-Faerūnian landmasses as 'primitive' (how very 'great white hunter' of us), but what if at least one of them was technologically superior to The Realms? So then I thought, The Iron kingdoms (its magipunk), but that setting is only the west coast of a larger landmass. So my next thought was, what can i stick on the right side of it? In one map i did I had t hanging off the east end of the Greyhawk maps, but that's not the flavor I want. I want more magi/steampunk. So then I thought, Eberron! Its actually kind of related to IK/Warmachine (it seems to have been based off of the same predecessor {Lock & Load} as that setting... in MANY ways). So I went to look at the map of Eberron to see if I could slice-off the right side of something to match-up to IK, annnnddd.... Khorvaire is actually a pretty damn good fit for Osse, as-is!

EDIT: Even better flipped upside down (I can even get the equator to line-up perfectly), because the terrain makes more sense. Visually, it looks better right-side up, but then we have weirdness with the climate. I just did a quick thing to see how it would look - its even sized perfectly. Aerenal would be better left right-side up, but then its different in its relationship to Khorvaire (and I should care about that why?)

Anyway, I find it somewhat redundant with what we already have in FR, and in my own games I've already stolen all the best parts and pasted them into my Misbegotten Realms. Most of the stuff about Dragonamrks & the Houses is down in Halruaa... which is a chain of Five large islands (and lots of smaller ones). MY Halruaa is basically Khorvaire, condensed.

And the Halruaan Airship Co. has bases in all the major cities. Just book passage and your off.
I supposed that's a little less jarring then the 'Great Cormyrian Railroad' I had been planning (just be wary of the Kara-Tur Express).

That COULD be interesting. However, the main question becomes, if they're so advanced, why haven't we seen them showing up in the other regions? Having extremely advanced technology GENERALLY would imply that they'd be willing to explore, etc... There are probably ways we could get around this fact, but then if we work into those ways, do we suddenly remove the reason for having this magi-tech community?

With that thought in mind though, let's play through some ideas.

First off, I'd say whatever IS there shouldn't be human, as that opens up the majority of our options.

What if the people there breathe a special mixture of air, and its only because of creature or plant X that's there that they survive. Also, other people that visit there don't get enough oxygen without some kind of magical aid to stop the need to breathe. Also, maybe the air is slightly acidic or something, but whatever creature it is maybe either absorbs this acid or coats itself in some kind of slimecoat that prevents it bothering them. Benefits... magi-tech... downside... sounds like a creepy weird culture and maybe not fun

What if the people there are highly psionic and they perform their discovery of other regions by "riding" the minds of other individuals. Maybe they are somehow able to work as a variant of warlock patron (similar to vestiges). Could be interesting, but needs work.

Any other ideas?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11806 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  13:05:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

But Eberron is more like low-magic. Usually, only player characters are the ones casting high powered spells (there is only one or two persons in all of Eberron capable of using resurrection spells, beyond player characters, for instance). On the other hand, magic items are more widespread on Eberron (just like on Abeir), as well as aimed to more mundane and practical applications. I guess that kind of applications will be more common on Abeir.

On the other hand, is very likely Abeir will have more psionic and primal magic than Toril, as well.

Yeah, one of the things I picture upon Halruaa's return is it being much more like Eberron. They've likely had the time to really hone up on their own personal territory and make small improvements. Meanwhile, where they were sparsely populated before, if they truly transferred somewhere with little outside threat, they may have moved to fill up a lot of the space of Halruaa. Like Eberron, I can picture some kind of mass transit system using things like magnetism magics that are triggered off and on by the activation of nearby devices of a similar nature. I can see their airships being even more developed so that they aren't just basically advanced blimps with magic (OR they have a lot more of those old airships with a handful of some new advanced kind).

SIDEBAR: That is one vastly different thing I'm picturing between Halruaa and my United Tharchs. Most of these new Tharchs, while much more widespread and holding a lot more land, will still be at the level of nice houses only for the red wizards themselves or say some academy that they build for training wizards, and the rest of the folk living in whatever ramshackle hut they can develop from the materials at hand. This would be because they've been basically expanding into a given area and then the next generation pushes the envelope out further. I'm picturing in the Lopango jungles coastal edges just before the spellplague that they had developed little more than the odd collection of bamboo or palm tree huts in New Kensten and Mictalarra with wooden palisades and simple ports. Then just as they're getting permanent settlements with say clay-fired brick or mud and rock, they expand to build the settlement of Zanzilaha as another major settlements and five or six small villages as part of the next generation. Then the following generation and the current one start having disagreements over racial purity, and expansion within the Lopango drops off and we have a movement of say 1/3 of the new generation down into Katashaka living out of simple huts again. The big differences would be the places where they took over someone else's somewhat developed residences (so like Esh Alakar in Anchorome and Peleveria/Hard Castle/Torsch in the Shaar) or areas like Balduran Bay where they've had a century and then some to develop and a huge influx of workers.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  21:27:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THIS is the thread we were talking about Osse, but they've all become somewhat cross-indexed lately. Its like one, giant 'mega-conversation'. LOL

So I was toying with Eberron in place of Osse yesterday (even did a fast & dirty mock-up to see what that would look like), and its a good fit, espeically if we flip it. So I decided to take another look at the IK/WM setting (which I think Eberron is a 'knock off' of), and I had forgotten they added a lot more to it since I played WM - they added Hordes, with new factions... and lots more land. Now, instead of just seeing a tiny corner of the continent, we can see the whole continent....

And low & behold, it is also a great fit! In fact, it works even better upside-down (just like Eberron... how coincidental...) In fact, when I went looking for a map of it, I found that people had already been comparing it to Khorvaire (so not even just the tropes, cultures, and ideas, but the landmass itself is now VERY similar). Anyhow, that my opinion on what might be a great fit for that landmass we've been calling Osse. Not that we could even make that psuedo-canonical (fanon, CandleKanon, etc), because it belongs to someone other than WotC.

And now I have this kewl picture in my head of Elminster 'dressing down' a Gunmage (he had a few choice words about Vangerdehast who made a wand that looked "like a gunne in the Lantanese fashion").

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  21:55:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

That COULD be interesting. However, the main question becomes, if they're so advanced, why haven't we seen them showing up in the other regions? Having extremely advanced technology GENERALLY would imply that they'd be willing to explore, etc... There are probably ways we could get around this fact, but then if we work into those ways, do we suddenly remove the reason for having this magi-tech community?

With that thought in mind though, let's play through some ideas.

First off, I'd say whatever IS there shouldn't be human, as that opens up the majority of our options.

What if the people there breathe a special mixture of air, and its only because of creature or plant X that's there that they survive. Also, other people that visit there don't get enough oxygen without some kind of magical aid to stop the need to breathe. Also, maybe the air is slightly acidic or something, but whatever creature it is maybe either absorbs this acid or coats itself in some kind of slimecoat that prevents it bothering them. Benefits... magi-tech... downside... sounds like a creepy weird culture and maybe not fun

What if the people there are highly psionic and they perform their discovery of other regions by "riding" the minds of other individuals. Maybe they are somehow able to work as a variant of warlock patron (similar to vestiges). Could be interesting, but needs work.

Any other ideas?
Those are some pretty weird ideas. Kewl, but I don't know how much usage they'd be in an RPG setting (because if no-one can go there, thats its not much use, right?) Better for a novel, maybe, than a game-setting.

I was thinking keeping it simple. All Eberonese magic is based on the Dragonmarks, and what most people don't realize (except the few who have tried to explore) is that its a 'field effect' - an incredibly large one. The Dragonmarks are powered by the Dragonshards, which only lie on Khorvaire (in our version). That part's actually Eberron canon (except they say the Dragonshards are everywhere, just about).

So if you are flying in one of those advanced flying ships, and you leave the region where the 'Dragonshard radiation' is, the ship would loose power... which would be a VERY bad thing. Over time, they may have developed ships similar to Spelljammers (the water-capable kind), so that when the power started to run-out, they could switch to sail and keep going. that means if they sailed into Waterdeep harbor, no-one would be any the wiser. they'd probably also want to get their hands on Spelljamming helms, or maybe steal the Halruaan tech, so they could fly their ships the whole way.

It would also mean their mages would be greatly depowered. So they wouldn't be 'startin' sumthin' with the Realmsfolk because they wouldn't have their full power, and by the same token, the Faerūnians wouldn't be starting stuff on their home-turf because they have home-field advantage there. Nice and simple, i think, and keeps to the canon of both.

I already have Greyhawk and Mystarran ships docking at my version of Waterdeep; whats a few Eberronese ships as well?
And since I've already swapped Katashaka for Xendrik, its all a nice, tidy fit. You guys are gonna hate me for this, but MY version of the Realms now combines nearly ALL of WotC's official settings (some of them are in Abeir). If they followed suit, they'd have an awful lot of material to draw from. Of course, all the setting-specific fans would fly into a rage, but that's kinda what I do best - make folks tear their hair out.

Instead of 'Realmspace', it could just be D&Dspace.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2017 21:59:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2017 :  22:05:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But seriously, it would be fairly easy to say Khorvaire was on/in Abeir (along with the rest of Eberron) - its not such a stretch. Both are 'closed' worlds.

That would allow us to steal Khorvaire, Xendrik, and Aerenal, and leave Sarlona and Argonnessen (which are both perfect fits, come to think of it - the 'Dreaming Dark' in Eb could just be them trying to return to Toril). We got weirdies who connect to 'another world' through psionics, and a whole continent of dragony goodness - sounds like a win-win. Lets dismember Eberron in 5e!!!

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2017 22:12:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000