Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D animated series in the FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  23:15:11  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if the old cartoon series had ever been given a setting within the game worlds? I heard that the kids from the show appeared as older versions of themselves in a Forgotten Realms comics or something.

So is The Realm from the show part of the Forgotten Realms? Has there been any other crossover stuff?

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2017 :  23:27:25  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hank and Bobby's portraits appear in the Adventurer's Mart in Baldurs Gate II (CRPG)

For Hank the script says:
"This is a painting of one of a group of young adventurers from long ago, this one a ranger... all of whom were attempting to return to their homeland far away. Word has it they died horribly at the hand of the dragon, Tiamat."

For Bobby:
"Another painting of a party of young adventurers from long ago, this one a diminutive barbarian. Rumour has it that this barbarian had a pet unicorn smaller than he... also swallowed by Tiamat, it is presumed."

There was also a booklet done for 3rd? Edition that statted them all up. Not sure if it was ever stated where their "world" was.

~Gareth~
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  03:20:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a one-off comic called The Grand Tour that had them arrive in Shadowdale; Presto hoped to apprentice himself to Elminster. Elminster took him around a bunch of different parts of the Realms, doing various things, and convinced Presto that he wanted nothing to do with Elminster.

It was bad.

The art was weak, too... Enough time had passed that Bobby towered over everyone else, but he also looked about 30 years older than the rest of the bunch, too.

It's not something I'd recommend to anyone.

The referenced booklet came with the DVD set of the cartoon series. It, too, failed to impress.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  03:20:46  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meant as a joke, though. Correct? If they are in the comic as older versions, they can't have been eaten by Tiamat. Lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the show is intended to be Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  04:20:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BountyHunter

Meant as a joke, though. Correct? If they are in the comic as older versions, they can't have been eaten by Tiamat. Lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the show is intended to be Forgotten Realms.

The show was no longer in production when the Realms was first published as a campaign setting. The cartoon ran from 1983-1985; the OGB was published in 1987.

Other than the Baldur's Gate references and that bad comic that has never been referenced anywhere else, I don't think there's anything that ties the kids to the Realms.

Besides, there was an episode with a girl, close to Bobby's age, who could accurately see the future in her dreams. She was also from Earth. They managed to get her home, but as usual, something prevented them from going.

Bobby and this girl had become close, and when she went back to Earth, she left a necklace with Bobby. Bobby, upset about the whole thing, was about to chuck it, when the Dungeon Master showed up and stopped Bobby by showing him the last dream the girl had before going home -- and it was Bobby, not looking any older, walking up to her in school and returning the necklace.

Certainly, that's not definitive proof of anything, and I'll not deny the DM could have been showing Bobby an illusion, for his own purposes... But I choose to think that she did have the dream and that the kids did make it home.

Although I suppose you could say they did like the Pevensies, and chose to come back, and somehow wound up in the Realms from there... But that's just awkward.

I loved that cartoon (and had a thing for Shiela! ), but even given the references we have, I'm not willing to put the kids in the Realms. The references are a non-canon game and a (bad) promotional comic that has never been called canon material. In fact, I've never seen any official mention of that comic at all -- I only know about it because I found it on eBay (much like the Forbidden Sands of Anauroch comics).

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Feb 2017 04:22:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  04:36:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny you should mention that comic, Wooly. I found a page from it that I stuck in my photobucket some years ago and just came across the other day. Its the one were Julia Martin{?} and Jeff Grubb (I think, or was that supposed to be Ed?) are getting a 'Volo Guide' from Volo, right after Elminster and Presto leave.

Unfortunately, back when I found the comic on the interwebz, I could only find it in Spanish (probably why it was taken down). I use to own a hardcopy.

Here's the page. At least he can see how terrible the art was.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2017 04:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  04:46:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure that's Ed, and that the book was supposed to be Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. In the first couple Volo books, it was referred to as a suppressed work... And then they went ahead and published it, which is why I generally add, in parentheses, "formerly a suppressed work" after the title.

Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  05:13:48  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn, I kinda wanted it to be in the Realms somewhere. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  07:47:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
being that storngheart( iirc that was is name) was in that cartoon. I always presumed the cartoon to be in Greyhawk.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  13:11:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

Hank and Bobby's portraits appear in the Adventurer's Mart in Baldurs Gate II (CRPG)

For Hank the script says:
"This is a painting of one of a group of young adventurers from long ago, this one a ranger... all of whom were attempting to return to their homeland far away. Word has it they died horribly at the hand of the dragon, Tiamat."

For Bobby:
"Another painting of a party of young adventurers from long ago, this one a diminutive barbarian. Rumour has it that this barbarian had a pet unicorn smaller than he... also swallowed by Tiamat, it is presumed."

There was also a booklet done for 3rd? Edition that statted them all up. Not sure if it was ever stated where their "world" was.

~Gareth~

Seriously? How is it that I am JUST hearing about this! That's awesome!

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  13:45:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To hell with that, I love the idea of them having been in the realms. Not in modern day mind you, unless as you say they left and came back, but like in Narnia, the world had advanced.... or maybe long ago they went into suspended animation (Venger did know imprisonment as a spell).... something where you wouldn't have to immediately place a lot of the areas that they visited. Hell nothing even says that the places they visited have to be Faerun.... If it weren't for the occasional paladin, cleric or god (of which, gods I only recall Tiamat and Lolth... both of whom also technically have devil / demon "manifestations"), I'd even say it could have been Abeir and at some point they transferred over.

I'm thinking something where we have their items get found. Hell maybe the items "remember" the kids and periodically give mental impressions back to their actions long ago. What were all the items again?

Hank - some lightning bow
Sheila - a cloak of invisibility
Presto - a "hat of wondrous powers" ? "hat of wish corruption"?
Diana - a staff that enlarges and glows
Eric - a shield that produced some kind of "shield"
Bobby - a club that could cause earthquakes

EDIT: couldn't have been Abeir... sky was blue. Did we ever see the moon in this?

BTW, this kind of thing can be fun. One game I played, the DM wanted it to be this Post Apocalypse earth. So, I played a character who had awakened the spirit of Thor within himself by reading comic books about himself. I also mixed in Thundarr the Barbarian and had the character named Bjorn Thundarrsun. His mother was a woman who had been rescued by Thundarr and born him a son after he had left. I had talked with the DM, and we were eventually going to have it be a Norse rebirth in the world as godly heroes. Thundarr and his "sun sword" of flame in that instance was essentially a reborn form of Frey. The game kind of fell apart around 13th level, but it was very fun when people would ask who I was and I'd say "I'm Thor, god of Thunder".... or someone would be hurt and I'd say "In my past life as a doctor we would".... or something would happen and I'd say "I remember the time when Iron Man and I were stuck in....".

Hmmmm, a realmsian character with the last name Bobbison... Prestosun... Hankson.... Ericson... Sheilasdotr... Dianasdotr... OOOOO... VENGERSON

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Feb 2017 14:42:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  18:26:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No reason why the original cartoon couldn't have taken place in GH (the sillier tone fits that setting better), and then they made it home (as per Wooly's 'vision' lore), and then something else happened, either a 'Narnia wardrobe moment', or perhaps someone they met showed up and said, "Hurry! The Realms needs your help!" Or perhaps they were at game con when they were all a little older, and were getting something signed by Ed, and got curious about some weird, pipe-smoking old man sitting behind a curtained-off area... and decided to follow him. One bad decision and portal later (like what happened with Elminster's Daughter), they find themselves in The Forgotten Realms this time, in Baldur's Gate. They may have chosen to stay of their own free will at that point (Khelben probably could have gotten them home - he DEFINITELY could have at least gotten them back to GH), or they may have been adventuring, trying to find a way back again (talk about really bad luck). Either way, 'something' happened, and they are literally 'history' now.

Personally, I take the pictures in BG as canon, but not the story of their demise (which they may have even faked themselves). Maybe they caught a ride home on that Spelljammer ship (from the other comic). It would be cool if they made it home, got old, and then as old folk found another portal (Back of a wardrobe again? Broke into Ed's pantry?), and came out the other side young, and in the 5e Realms. "The world needs heroes!"

I never saw a single episode of that cartoon, nor was ever inspired to seek them out. But from looking at some pics of the group on the internet, they remind me an awful lot of the Captain Planet kids - are we sure its not the same bunch? They were always getting into trouble (and the magic schoolbus was DEFINITELY a Tardis!).

EDIT:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say that 99% of the 'artwork' I am finding for the show is ummm.... fan work.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2017 18:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2017 :  20:34:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny this is brought up as earlier this week I pitched an idea to my group for a level 0 to 30 campaign (using 4e's rule-set) where the PCs are from Earth and are brought to the Realms of Dungeons and Dragons by Dungeon Master to finally defeat Venger. They pick up where the old heroes left off with their equipment in a fortified tomb (yes, they're dead a century gone by) and the PCs are duped into releasing Venger by Shadow Demon posing as Dungeon Master. Of course Venger's victory is short lived as Tiamat realizes Venger is free and tried to kill him and ignores the PCs altogether (at least, unless they do something stupid and attack her). Thus would end their first session at level 0 and they gain their first level in a real class.
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  18:09:19  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just watched the episode "Hall of Bones" and the kids encounter Lolth, Demon Queen of the Spiders. But I guess Lolth is in the Greyhawk setting too, huh?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  18:41:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes she is.

Greyhawk is where she was born...

for that matter so are the dwarven pantheon and the majority of the elven pantheon.

as is the orc pantheon( or atleast gruumsh)

the giant and draconic too......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 26 Feb 2017 18:42:11
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2017 :  22:02:44  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm currently doing a rewatching of the series. If I see any more connections that I am unsure of, I will post them here.

Edited by - BountyHunter on 26 Feb 2017 22:03:28
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  10:59:31  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Unfortunately, back when I found the comic on the interwebz, I could only find it in Spanish (probably why it was taken down). I use to own a hardcopy.

Not Spanish, but Portuguese...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 03 Mar 2017 10:59:55
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  16:08:52  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The box set for the show has the story bible in pdf format. The world the kids are on is not Greyhawk or the Known World setting; but, a different prime material plane altogether. It is called , "The Realm" The various D&D characters Strongheart, Warduke, and Lolth do make appearances in some episodes. Best explanation: these are mortals and demonic goddess who do know how to travel across worlds.

I did enjoy this series as a child. It gave me another outlet for D&D. (My early roleplaying experiences were infrequent to say the least) As for the BG references the people in charge didn't like the show. Heck there are some people at WotC now who do not like the series...but being in the 4th grade at the time versus the 17 year olds playing D&D...I was the right target audience.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2017 :  17:22:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was watching the cartoon before I knew there was a game. It was several years after the cartoon was off the air before I learned anything about D&D.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2017 :  02:20:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

The box set for the show has the story bible in pdf format. The world the kids are on is not Greyhawk or the Known World setting; but, a different prime material plane altogether. It is called , "The Realm" The various D&D characters Strongheart, Warduke, and Lolth do make appearances in some episodes. Best explanation: these are mortals and demonic goddess who do know how to travel across worlds.

I did enjoy this series as a child. It gave me another outlet for D&D. (My early roleplaying experiences were infrequent to say the least) As for the BG references the people in charge didn't like the show. Heck there are some people at WotC now who do not like the series...but being in the 4th grade at the time versus the 17 year olds playing D&D...I was the right target audience.

as I said always thought it was GH. lots of Realms out there too.

oerth is a big place afterall..... could have been that fallen realm there which its name I cant remember....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  21:31:44  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oerth? Where is this now? God, 20 years ago I knew so much about D&D, now I know practically nothing. Lol
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  04:33:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oerth? Where is this now? God, 20 years ago I knew so much about D&D, now I know practically nothing. Lol

The Forgotten Realms is on the planet Toril, Dragonlance was on the planet Krynn, and Greyhawk was on the planet Oerth.

All three are in separate solar systems.

That's the simplest answer. Adding in Spelljammer, Planescape, and the cosmology changes the Realms keeps experiencing complicate the issue somewhat, though my explanation is still true -- there's just more to it than that.

Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  06:27:29  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ok. I knew the first two. Never was much into the Greyhawk setting, though.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  22:34:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I picked my greyhawk here and there, so Im not knowledgeable either.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  03:22:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of the big three, it's the one I'm weakest on. I read some of the novels back in the day, and had little inclination to get further into the setting. Even from Gygax's own Gord the Rogue novels, I felt like the setting was haphazardly constructed, with no real thought to how everything would fit together.

And ye gods, a city named Stoink? An elf named Melf? Painful.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  04:02:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aah Melf. one time apprentice to mordenkainen ....

got his name by.

sex M.
class Elf.

1e character......

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  20:25:03  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read one Greyhawk novel way back, and remember I found it quite boring after all the Dragonlance books I'd read, and the Icewind Dale Trilogy. So I never read another one after that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  20:44:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read one Greyhawk novel way back, and remember I found it quite boring after all the Dragonlance books I'd read, and the Icewind Dale Trilogy. So I never read another one after that.

I read like 7 or 8 of them. There were 6 or 7 with brown covers. Two were Gord the Rogue books by Gygax (notably, perhaps the first time I saw profanity in fantasy), and 4 or 5 were about Mika the Wolf Nomad, by Rose Estes.

Then there was a standalone called The Eyes Have It.

I'd not read those books in a long time before losing them in a fire, and that fire was 10 years ago, now. So I don't remember a huge amount... Though I do remember one thing that bugged me, even then, in the Mika the Wolf Nomad books: there was the requisite rescue of a princess, and for some reason, Mika had to turn her into a wolf. In wolf format, said princess had relations with Mika's wolf companion. She gave birth to fraternal twins, who were human werewolves. The daughter didn't seem to have a lot of problems with being a werewolf, but the son acted like an infected werewolf: blacking out, shifting to Crinos hybrid form, and wreaking havoc.

Even when I myself was coming up with some goofy concepts, all of that still bugged me.

Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
61 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  22:09:44  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that might have been the book I read.lol It sounds strangely familiar. Either that, or I read more than one GH book, and just don't recall.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000