Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  13:53:35  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message
Hi Ed,

It's not 100% Realmslore, but I wonder, are Batna and Lilith the same she-devil, under two names and forms? (With Batna somehow surviving her apparent oblideration?) All I found about the real life Batna, is that is her name is another name for Lilith, similarly how Beherit is the Syraic name for Satan, seeing Beherit is also named Lucifer. And seeing both are connected to Malbolge.

The Dragon #76 article also wrote Lilith is "feels largely powerless in the current regime", possibly suggesting she once held more power.

Edited by - Baltas on 08 Nov 2019 22:26:17
Go to Top of Page

Turtleking
Acolyte

Finland
2 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2019 :  00:12:54  Show Profile Send Turtleking a Private Message
Greetings oh mighty sage.

This humble acolyte is interested in the current (5th edition) state of Cormyr nobility. More closely: any ideas on the history and current political standing of house Alsevir?
Forgotten Realms wiki has info, perhaps not much but enough for me to get a start. I was just interested in opinions and ideas on this matter since references in wiki are 4 years old.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2019 :  01:20:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Turtleking

Greetings oh mighty sage.

This humble acolyte is interested in the current (5th edition) state of Cormyr nobility. More closely: any ideas on the history and current political standing of house Alsevir?
Forgotten Realms wiki has info, perhaps not much but enough for me to get a start. I was just interested in opinions and ideas on this matter since references in wiki are 4 years old.

The Brimstone Angels series by ERIN m Evans starts in 4e era, but carries over into 5e (book 3, The Adversary is part of the Sundering series as well, and the next books are all 5e. Fire in the Blood and Ashes of the Tyrant in particular have scenes in and info on 5e Cormyr.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2019 :  18:05:15  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
All,

I returning to the Realms after a long hiatus and would to map out some adventuring locations. Can info be provided on the Keening Woods in Cormanthor, the Realm of Wailing Fog in between the Hullack Forest and the Thunderpeaks (specifically, are there elven ruins within the Realm?), and the Starym Properties in the Hullack Forest?
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2019 :  23:45:02  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
What is a typical burial mound arrangement for the elves of Cormanthyr? (If they had burial mounds)

My players are going into the Cormanthor forest soon and I would like to be consistent with the lore^^

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2019 :  00:29:22  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Greenwood, @TheEdVerse, 06 Dec 2019
Volo's true father was a (still secret! NDA!!) Waterdhavian noble, who needed a blood heir but had a barren wife he loved and didn't want to set aside.

Boy, I hope his true father wasn't a Silmerhelve, Ed, otherwise that thing with Ravithara Silmerhelve got all "Greek tragedy" in a hurry

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2019 :  15:27:06  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

All,

I returning to the Realms after a long hiatus and would to map out some adventuring locations. Can info be provided on the Keening Woods in Cormanthor, the Realm of Wailing Fog in between the Hullack Forest and the Thunderpeaks (specifically, are there elven ruins within the Realm?), and the Starym Properties in the Hullack Forest?

Well Met! I direct you to the Mages and Sages Podcast/Interviews with Ed Greenwood and many of the people whom built the Realms. It can be found on YouTube under Mages and Sages Interview with the Old Mage. We are actually doing another Interview tonight with Steven Schend so go and have a listen as I know many of your questions have been answered on the Podcast!

Sweet water and light laughter be yours!

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  00:21:13  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message
Sadly I don't use twitter and I have a question for Ed, it's still ok to post it here? Hoping to not hit the dreaded NDA

Are there any fiendish Chosen of Mystra?
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  14:25:59  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
Dear The Hooded One,

What style(s) of fashion is fashionable in Waterdeep? Working/middle/upper class would be greatly appreciated :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  15:54:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Dear The Hooded One,

What style(s) of fashion is fashionable in Waterdeep? Working/middle/upper class would be greatly appreciated :)

What is the era and season? Winter wear in 1375 is going to be different from summer wear in 1490.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  15:54:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Dear The Hooded One,

What is the era and season? Winter wear in 1375 is going to be different from summer wear in 1490.

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  01:21:46  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message

I think Wooly's right, in that your question would be easier (or quicker) to answer if narrowed down a bit in scope. In the meantime, here are two of Ed's previous Candlekeep replies which may be of some relevance:

quote:
Originally posted on Nov 16 2006
In Waterdeep, many nobles use fashion to divide themselves from commoners (and younger or ‘black sheep’ nobles use fashion to rebel or make a statement), whereas the wealthiest wannabe-noble merchants try to dress like the nobles, and most guildmasters and wealthy DON’T-wannabe-noble merchants adopt expensive but clearly different fashions, to show they’re “as good as, or better than nobles, and certainly don’t want to be nobles or mistaken for nobles.”

Right. Stage set. Now, on to specifics for females. The impression one is trying to impart is of course paramount (REALLY rich, or beyond-caring-about-coin rich, or conservative, or I’m an adventurer above all this “society” nonsense, or I’m the special guest wanting to stand out or surpass everyone, or I belong here) is usually the dominant factor in deciding what to wear.

The cheapest way to dress is the conservative look: basic black gown with high collar and/or plunge front, matching sash and boots, and a few pieces of small, tasteful jewelry (moonstone or pearl earrings and perhaps a pendant and/or finger ring). Some adventurers have, or can borrow, or can buy secondhand, all of these very cheaply. (This is the Realms equivalent of the “little black dress.”) Truly wealthy nobles have their own seamstresses, and go to the best designers, to achieve the same look for as much as 4,000 gp (plus the cost of the jewels). Most women wealthy enough to “buy new, in a hurry” can put together the same look, jewelry included, for 150 gp (50 gp/boots, 80 or so for an off-the-peg gown and sash, and the rest for jewels), IF they’re a fairly standard size (if your hips are literally four feet across, NOTHING off the peg is ever going to fit you). Almost all “new” clothiers in either city are used to doing small on-the-spot alterations to make a sale.

Someone shopping a secondhand shop, who gets lucky on finding something unsoiled, untorn, and more or less their size, who can touch up scuffed boots and wash everything, could put together the same ensemble for about 65 gp (25 gp/boots, 20 or less for the gown, and 20 gp for earrings).

The conservative look is never “out of fashion” except among a wild revelry gathering of the rebellious young, and even there it can be “dressed down” by exchanging the black sash for a flame-orange one, pinning the gown (to the inside of the sash) half-open to expose skin or a racy chemise (lace-trimmed white silk for classy look, almost anything to present other images) and jewelry (such as nipple clamps with tassels, and a gem set in the navel).

MOST well-to-do shopkeeper’s wives in both cities have the following:
* The “black look” discussed above, plus a matching cape and cap (for funerals, solemn ceremonies, and “not sure what to wear but sure don’t want to offend” feasts and meetings with nobles or social superiors).
* At least three evening gowns (ankle length), of varying degrees of daring (plunge front and/or back, cutouts, or none) and various hues, usually at least one bright red. These are for guild dinners, meals and moots with social equals (and the more of these latter they attend, the more often they’ll buy new gowns to add into the mix, so those who see them often will know they’re wealthy enough to buy a gown whenever the mood strikes them). Endless accessories (hats, purses, belts, baldrics, garters, chemises, chathra [ = petticoats; the Realms term implies trimmed so as to be partially seen], furs [usually “wraps” that are draped artistically], underthings [see Page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep] and jewels) are mixed and swapped with these to create different looks.
* A wild costume, or two, for costume balls and really daring revelry (masks are ALWAYS a feature of these, but they range from piratical garb to strap-on gossamer silk “fairy wings” to strap-on furry or scaled serpentine tails, and so on; by daring revelry I mean feasts and other gatherings where sexual activity or at least physical flirtation is expected; Waterdhavian matrons of a certain age often refer to these as “one of my plough-me-please outfits”).
* At least one VERY expensive and dramatic gown by a famous local designer, that will pass for being “in fashion” with the latest tastes. These can be almost anything, will come with full matching accessories (e.g. face-veils and/or half-cloaks), and tend to get “put away” in a wardrobe for a decade until they’re in fashion again. “Dramatic” is the key word here: many of these gowns have shoulder fins, daring cutouts, and impractical trimmings.

The northernmost four wards of Waterdeep bristle with shops selling overpriced clothing and footwear; personally-designed gowns (involving a “name” designer and usually many “fittings” [fitting sessions where the wearer is measured, muslin mockups and later the gowns themselves are pinned on to them, cut, and re-pinned]) can easily cost 6,000 gp each for a really rich noble and 2,000 for someone wealthy (many designers set their prices according to a client’s ability to pay, but are utterly uninterested in taking on poor clients unless they fall in love with them or are discharging a debt). Most “good” shops sell and alter close copies of the less outrageous designer gowns, and “classic” garments, for 400 gp up to 1,200 gp. Off-the-peg garments at the “less glittering shops” can often serve very well, and can be had for 80 gp up to 600 gp at most, with the majority of gowns running around 100 gp.

One recurring “fashion fallback” is to wear a simple, cheap gown, and a very “showy” trimmed slip or chemise (made for someone larger) OVER it, with a sash or belt of contrasting hue to “bind the whole look together.” Such showy undergarments cost a maximum of about 80 gp (unless custom-made), and even the classiest sash or belt is seldom more than 40 gp.

A bard may well want clothing she can most elegantly perform in; a rogue (or for that matter, all three characters, depending on what adventures they intend to get up to) often wants a dark gown that can be shed swiftly and easily, and wadded up and stuffed somewhere without being lastingly wrinkled or harmed; and a sorceress may (or may not!) want an outfit that looks mystical and darkly impressive.

quote:
Originally posted on Sep 16 2008
“in Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate, circa 1374 DR, what's the "hottest" fashion in lady's hats or hairdos, if any?”

The hottest fashion in feminine hair fashion is long, free-flowing hair down the back of the head and the shoulders and back below that, that is held “up” just in front of the crown of the scalp with an elaborate hair-comb (with upward-projecting spikes, so it looks like a tiara projecting up through the hair) that ends, on the back of the head, with a decorative weave of wires (think elaborate “open” knots akin to real-world Celtic knotwork) that gathers the “fall” of hair through a large defined ‘tube’ or oval of wire. So the fall of hair is really a gigantic ponytail, spread out wide by the knots.
Those who lack long hair of their own buy woven wigs of washed, combed, sorted, and dyed real hair, originally belonging to multiple others, that attach with hooks and clips to this back-of-the-head knotwork of the hair-comb (bald individuals wear chinstrap thin flesh-hued cords that hold the comb to their scalps).
This hairdo is known as “the ar-fall.”

The most fashionable headgear (for wearing over hair) is a prowed, peaked soft leather cap (think Hollywood Robin-Hood caps), fashioned to be very long and thin, that is attached to the hair-comb so it won’t fall off easily AND to keep it raked at an angle to one side of the head, and always “prow low in front, rear up at back.” Such caps always sport at least two large, fluffy feathers (from peacocks or other birds with large, colorful tailfeathers or flight feathers), one of each side of the cap. That’s the minimum; fops and the haughty may wear caps with nine or more feathers stuffed in, though all of them will be raked back (plumes to the rear). Caps of this sort are even appearing that have gauze-work woven among the feathers to support many tiny dangling “sparkle” faceted gemstones.
Such caps are formally known as “fancy-mes” but have now become more commonly known as “dees” (corruption through usages).

If Waterdhavian fashion patterns hold true, the hairdo and the cap will enjoy about the same period of wide popularity: two seasons. Thereafter, they will be used by those who want to signal they are NOT “irresponsible younglings” for another two seasons, and then retained by a few individuals for decades.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  23:47:19  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Dear The Hooded One,

Oh Wooly, what makes you think that I don't want to know about all their fashions in all time periods?^^

What I am really looking for is knowledge on how my lady character can be stylishly dressed while fitting in and yet standing out enough without looking like a (male) peacock or a person in mourning. :)

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

I think Wooly's right, in that your question would be easier (or quicker) to answer if narrowed down a bit in scope. In the meantime, here are two of Ed's previous Candlekeep replies which may be of some relevance:

quote:
Originally posted on Nov 16 2006
In Waterdeep, many nobles use fashion to divide themselves from commoners (and younger or ‘black sheep’ nobles use fashion to rebel or make a statement), whereas the wealthiest wannabe-noble merchants try to dress like the nobles, and most guildmasters and wealthy DON’T-wannabe-noble merchants adopt expensive but clearly different fashions, to show they’re “as good as, or better than nobles, and certainly don’t want to be nobles or mistaken for nobles.”

Right. Stage set. Now, on to specifics for females. The impression one is trying to impart is of course paramount (REALLY rich, or beyond-caring-about-coin rich, or conservative, or I’m an adventurer above all this “society” nonsense, or I’m the special guest wanting to stand out or surpass everyone, or I belong here) is usually the dominant factor in deciding what to wear.

The cheapest way to dress is the conservative look: basic black gown with high collar and/or plunge front, matching sash and boots, and a few pieces of small, tasteful jewelry (moonstone or pearl earrings and perhaps a pendant and/or finger ring). Some adventurers have, or can borrow, or can buy secondhand, all of these very cheaply. (This is the Realms equivalent of the “little black dress.”) Truly wealthy nobles have their own seamstresses, and go to the best designers, to achieve the same look for as much as 4,000 gp (plus the cost of the jewels). Most women wealthy enough to “buy new, in a hurry” can put together the same look, jewelry included, for 150 gp (50 gp/boots, 80 or so for an off-the-peg gown and sash, and the rest for jewels), IF they’re a fairly standard size (if your hips are literally four feet across, NOTHING off the peg is ever going to fit you). Almost all “new” clothiers in either city are used to doing small on-the-spot alterations to make a sale.

Someone shopping a secondhand shop, who gets lucky on finding something unsoiled, untorn, and more or less their size, who can touch up scuffed boots and wash everything, could put together the same ensemble for about 65 gp (25 gp/boots, 20 or less for the gown, and 20 gp for earrings).

The conservative look is never “out of fashion” except among a wild revelry gathering of the rebellious young, and even there it can be “dressed down” by exchanging the black sash for a flame-orange one, pinning the gown (to the inside of the sash) half-open to expose skin or a racy chemise (lace-trimmed white silk for classy look, almost anything to present other images) and jewelry (such as nipple clamps with tassels, and a gem set in the navel).

MOST well-to-do shopkeeper’s wives in both cities have the following:
* The “black look” discussed above, plus a matching cape and cap (for funerals, solemn ceremonies, and “not sure what to wear but sure don’t want to offend” feasts and meetings with nobles or social superiors).
* At least three evening gowns (ankle length), of varying degrees of daring (plunge front and/or back, cutouts, or none) and various hues, usually at least one bright red. These are for guild dinners, meals and moots with social equals (and the more of these latter they attend, the more often they’ll buy new gowns to add into the mix, so those who see them often will know they’re wealthy enough to buy a gown whenever the mood strikes them). Endless accessories (hats, purses, belts, baldrics, garters, chemises, chathra [ = petticoats; the Realms term implies trimmed so as to be partially seen], furs [usually “wraps” that are draped artistically], underthings [see Page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep] and jewels) are mixed and swapped with these to create different looks.
* A wild costume, or two, for costume balls and really daring revelry (masks are ALWAYS a feature of these, but they range from piratical garb to strap-on gossamer silk “fairy wings” to strap-on furry or scaled serpentine tails, and so on; by daring revelry I mean feasts and other gatherings where sexual activity or at least physical flirtation is expected; Waterdhavian matrons of a certain age often refer to these as “one of my plough-me-please outfits”).
* At least one VERY expensive and dramatic gown by a famous local designer, that will pass for being “in fashion” with the latest tastes. These can be almost anything, will come with full matching accessories (e.g. face-veils and/or half-cloaks), and tend to get “put away” in a wardrobe for a decade until they’re in fashion again. “Dramatic” is the key word here: many of these gowns have shoulder fins, daring cutouts, and impractical trimmings.

The northernmost four wards of Waterdeep bristle with shops selling overpriced clothing and footwear; personally-designed gowns (involving a “name” designer and usually many “fittings” [fitting sessions where the wearer is measured, muslin mockups and later the gowns themselves are pinned on to them, cut, and re-pinned]) can easily cost 6,000 gp each for a really rich noble and 2,000 for someone wealthy (many designers set their prices according to a client’s ability to pay, but are utterly uninterested in taking on poor clients unless they fall in love with them or are discharging a debt). Most “good” shops sell and alter close copies of the less outrageous designer gowns, and “classic” garments, for 400 gp up to 1,200 gp. Off-the-peg garments at the “less glittering shops” can often serve very well, and can be had for 80 gp up to 600 gp at most, with the majority of gowns running around 100 gp.

One recurring “fashion fallback” is to wear a simple, cheap gown, and a very “showy” trimmed slip or chemise (made for someone larger) OVER it, with a sash or belt of contrasting hue to “bind the whole look together.” Such showy undergarments cost a maximum of about 80 gp (unless custom-made), and even the classiest sash or belt is seldom more than 40 gp.

A bard may well want clothing she can most elegantly perform in; a rogue (or for that matter, all three characters, depending on what adventures they intend to get up to) often wants a dark gown that can be shed swiftly and easily, and wadded up and stuffed somewhere without being lastingly wrinkled or harmed; and a sorceress may (or may not!) want an outfit that looks mystical and darkly impressive.

quote:
Originally posted on Sep 16 2008
“in Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate, circa 1374 DR, what's the "hottest" fashion in lady's hats or hairdos, if any?”

The hottest fashion in feminine hair fashion is long, free-flowing hair down the back of the head and the shoulders and back below that, that is held “up” just in front of the crown of the scalp with an elaborate hair-comb (with upward-projecting spikes, so it looks like a tiara projecting up through the hair) that ends, on the back of the head, with a decorative weave of wires (think elaborate “open” knots akin to real-world Celtic knotwork) that gathers the “fall” of hair through a large defined ‘tube’ or oval of wire. So the fall of hair is really a gigantic ponytail, spread out wide by the knots.
Those who lack long hair of their own buy woven wigs of washed, combed, sorted, and dyed real hair, originally belonging to multiple others, that attach with hooks and clips to this back-of-the-head knotwork of the hair-comb (bald individuals wear chinstrap thin flesh-hued cords that hold the comb to their scalps).
This hairdo is known as “the ar-fall.”

The most fashionable headgear (for wearing over hair) is a prowed, peaked soft leather cap (think Hollywood Robin-Hood caps), fashioned to be very long and thin, that is attached to the hair-comb so it won’t fall off easily AND to keep it raked at an angle to one side of the head, and always “prow low in front, rear up at back.” Such caps always sport at least two large, fluffy feathers (from peacocks or other birds with large, colorful tailfeathers or flight feathers), one of each side of the cap. That’s the minimum; fops and the haughty may wear caps with nine or more feathers stuffed in, though all of them will be raked back (plumes to the rear). Caps of this sort are even appearing that have gauze-work woven among the feathers to support many tiny dangling “sparkle” faceted gemstones.
Such caps are formally known as “fancy-mes” but have now become more commonly known as “dees” (corruption through usages).

If Waterdhavian fashion patterns hold true, the hairdo and the cap will enjoy about the same period of wide popularity: two seasons. Thereafter, they will be used by those who want to signal they are NOT “irresponsible younglings” for another two seasons, and then retained by a few individuals for decades.

Thanks AJA, this helps a lot :)

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2020 :  03:27:28  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message
quote:
Originally Twittered by Ed Greenwood
Lantan is now a gnome-dominated (with a scattering of humans)

Oh. Oh, Ed.

You could'a done it, Ed. Such a softball question, "Can you offer any information about what might be found on Lantan?" You could'a rid Lantan of the TINKER GNOMEZ menace once and for all. A big 'ol meatball right there over the plate, but instead of Roy Hobbs, it's Casey at the Bat.

Not even a flare, a gorp, a....a groundball with eyes, a dying quail....

Well there is no joy in AJAville, Ed. I can tell you that.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 01 Mar 2020 03:28:59
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2020 :  04:06:28  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message

Ed,

On NOV 27 2019 you Tweeted "road built to link Ordûlin and Archenbridge..." and on FEB 29 2020 you Tweeted "in the cellars of Ordûlin..."

Is Ordûlin actually the correct spelling of Ordulin?

(and is that something already known, because I can't find anything in a cursury glance at my books?)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

BladeMage
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  23:59:54  Show Profile Send BladeMage a Private Message
not sure if this would be the place to drop this question, but... Regarding Namarra, The Sword that Never Sleeps, What became of it after Old Ghost cast Horadoun out of the blade and chose to use it as his new form, post Knights of Myth Drannor Sword Never Sleeps? And if there was any other descriptions on what other "spellwork" was woven into it, that Old Ghost had been admiring?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2020 :  11:47:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
The sword wasn't Namarra, it was Armakraun. A different sword that "never sleeps".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BladeMage
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2020 :  00:56:20  Show Profile Send BladeMage a Private Message
I stand corrected, and thank you for th correction, George. I was giving thought to how one
could possibly establish a character.. a pc as effectively a sentient weapon that
could function fully independently.

Much thanks, and my apologies for my error.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2020 :  10:14:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Armakraun is an example of the way Ed treats magic in his campaign. As in, multi-layered. The novel speaks of how it has had many different enchantments laid on it by different races and casters. Whilst I think that the concept of a PC as a sentient weapon is "cool", I'm not sure how it works in practicality. By that I mean how do you weld that concept with the PC game mechanics? Things like hps, AC, abilities (class and feat), etc would all have to be bedded down and in a way that wasn't detrimental to the play experience of the other players. IMHO, for what it's worth, an independent, non-malevolent Armakraun acts as a brilliant NPC/plot device, interacting with the PCs as it (the DM) sees fit and aiding and abetting their adventures.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  06:17:18  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message
When telling him of Tashara and the Seven Skulls back in 1994, Elminster also told Ed about planning to have a conversation with Azuth to be certain that Tashara was gone forever.
I wonder how that conversation went. Has Elminster ever brought that topic up again (or could he be asked about it)?

Bonus: What about the Seven (well, actually six) skulls that roam the Realms, now (now [also] meaning the time around the 1370ies)? Do they have a phylactery? If so, are those still hidden where they were hid when Tashara was still alive? And if so, are there rumours of their whereabouts (or even stories of adventurers who managed to destroy some)? Did the Skulls retrieve their phylacteries to hide them elsewhere, i.e. in their "new" homes? Or were the phylacteries destroyed with Tashara, as they were maybe rings, charms and other jewellery worn on her person when she was annihilated by Azuth?

Or was maybe even Tashara herself the phylactery for all her Skulls, given that that would maybe strengthen her powers even more and forge a stronger bond to the Skulls? It would of course fit her reckless and selfish nature, would be one of the reasons why the Skulls were (still) magically bound/in love with her and even if the Skulls would have turned their backs (the backs of their heads?) at her, they would still have every reason to keep her alive, since their own un-life was dependent on her surviving.
And if so, did some of the skulls manage to forge a new phylactery or did they maybe bond with strong sources of magic (I'm now looking at Mallin in Myth Rhynn) to ensure their immortality?

Thanks a lot!!

(P.S.: I'd gladly see this reposted on Twitter, if this would draw the attention of Ed to this. ;) )

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.

Edited by - MisterX on 06 Apr 2020 06:18:09
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  23:17:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I've posted it as a musing elsewhere, but then realized it could be a theory question here:

In the 1e Moonshae booklet, three of the four Gods of Fury are worshipped by some northmen. However, their main deity is Tempus, worshipped as a storm god (the book says "a stormy aspect of Tempus", IIRC).

What if Tempus defeated Talos, casting him away from the Moonshaes (explaining his absence there, and his desire to regain a foot there), and taking some of his storm powers in the process? Maybe the Eathmother helped him in his rivalry agains Talos (because he would be a lesser menace to the Isles), gaining the later's enmity.

Is this feasible? I've also posted a shorter version of this theory on Ed's Edverse twitter...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Baelnorn Chronomancer
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  18:59:18  Show Profile Send Baelnorn Chronomancer a Private Message
Hey,
Shaundakul disappeared during the spellplague?
Does he still grant spells?
Beyond second level(is that a thing anymore)?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  02:36:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baelnorn Chronomancer

Hey,
Shaundakul disappeared during the spellplague?
Does he still grant spells?
Beyond second level(is that a thing anymore)?

From the Twitter:

@_Pseudoscience_

I've been unable to dig up any information on where Shaundakul scampered off to after his disappearance in 1385, during the Spellplague. Is there any canon lore concerning this? If not, could you tell me if his clerics are still receiving their powers from him? :)

@_Pseudoscience_

Just checking in again. A little bump to see if this gets noticed :)

@TheEdVerse

Sorry, I've been busy recently ferrying my wife back from hospital, and similar real-world health fusses.

I answered this very query here on Twitter a month back:
Shaundakul stepped through a portal and went worldwalking during the onset of the Spellplague, to avoid the worst of its ravages, and to find and gather scattered sentients of Toril and lead them back to the world as the spell-chaos subsided.

Thereafter, Shaundakul appeared frequently, all over Faerûn, in various mortal guises, to guide lost travelers to safety, revealing his true nature only to his clergy and the most devoted of his lay worshippers.

He is answering the prayers of the faithful, granting spells to clergy, and in fact did so with far shorter an interruption during the Spellplague than most other deities. He's very attentive to his clergy.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  22:32:48  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Hi Ed!

I'd been drooling to run a Daggerford focused campaign ever since the North boxed set, and just really got going with it in the last couple of years with a couple of other Candlekeep members in PBeM format. As I kept looking through Daggerford Lore, and considered the recent updates from Under Illefarn Anew, my imagination kept hanging on to a particular NPC that I wanted to ask about.

Delfen "Yellowknife" Ondabarl seems somewhat underpowered by 'resident wizard of a small town' 2E standards, but has a lot of very specific equipment that I think is disproportionate to his level. He's referred to as a 'former-adventurer' and his motivations are always a little opaque in every edition. Some even define the scope of his fame. I recently became aware that he survived the SpellPlague/Sundering whatever-it-was-that-happened in the transitions from 3E to 5E. All of this has lead me to this conclusion: this NPC was a character that belonged to you or one of your players. Barring that, he may be a very well developed NPC to which your are attached--like Mirt, Durnan, or El.

Which one is the case, and could you share with us some of your private ruminations/experiences with Delfen?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 16 Jun 2020 22:33:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2020 :  23:21:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Hi Ed!

I'd been drooling to run a Daggerford focused campaign ever since the North boxed set, and just really got going with it in the last couple of years with a couple of other Candlekeep members in PBeM format. As I kept looking through Daggerford Lore, and considered the recent updates from Under Illefarn Anew, my imagination kept hanging on to a particular NPC that I wanted to ask about.

Delfen "Yellowknife" Ondabarl seems somewhat underpowered by 'resident wizard of a small town' 2E standards, but has a lot of very specific equipment that I think is disproportionate to his level. He's referred to as a 'former-adventurer' and his motivations are always a little opaque in every edition. Some even define the scope of his fame. I recently became aware that he survived the SpellPlague/Sundering whatever-it-was-that-happened in the transitions from 3E to 5E. All of this has lead me to this conclusion: this NPC was a character that belonged to you or one of your players. Barring that, he may be a very well developed NPC to which your are attached--like Mirt, Durnan, or El.

Which one is the case, and could you share with us some of your private ruminations/experiences with Delfen?

Ed doesn't visit here much WalkerNinja and I think THO no longer monitors posts. He is very active on Twitter though and you should look at posting your question there. His handle is @TheEdVerse

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2020 :  05:50:57  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message

I won't join Twitter to talk to Ed. I won't join Twitter to talk to Ed. I won't, I won't, I won't.
quote:
Originally posted by @TheEdVerse, Jun 12, 2020
"Mordy, you're the one
There is no other
So here's your defeat
You funky mother!"

Oh, G*d-d****t, Ed

"I'm the King Azoun
There is none higher
Sucker nobles
Call me sire

Want my kingdom
Better bring dragon fire
I won't stop ruling
'Till I expire
"

I WON'T, I WON'T, I WON'T, I WON'T, I WON'T!!!!!!!

(no but seriously, can someone ask him about the Ordûlin / Ordulin thing?)

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 18 Jun 2020 05:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  00:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message
did i hear correct, THO is no longer monitoring posts?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  00:30:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

did i hear correct, THO is no longer monitoring posts?

I have not heard/read that, however can point to her last post was 11 Feb 2019 so it clearly is possible.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  07:53:51  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message
This has driven me mad for years, and I'm finally caught up in other topics to where I can ask..

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11274 as this thread has suggested, I ask it of Ed..

Ghaunadaur's Garden by the Pit of Jhaam in the Darklands in this famous map from 3rd edition's Underdark: https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/underdark/pix/undermap.jpg

What was the intended storyline here? The internet itself knows not, and my pouring over underdark and elder eye tomes for the past year had yielded nothing to me.
I have Juiblex marching its way past places of Ancient Ghaunadaur worship sites during my highly modified Out Of The Abyss 1487DR adventure I am running. Over a year ago I discovered the story of "an Avatar of That Which Lurks" in the ruins of Llurth Dreier and thought it would be fantastic to have the two battle it out deep beneath the surface. Since then the plans have exploded to include the Sunset Temple (an obscure element of the 4e storyline on the Abyssal Plague and Tharizdun), the Seven Hills of the Lost Gods (Ghaunadaur being a common example of one of either the original or the new lost gods), Gargauth the Hidden Lord (still working on this Gormauth Souldrinker connection), possibly the temple of the Elder Orb of Ooze under Mir (also researching the connection between the Ilythiir and the Djiin), and finally the ruins of Llurth Dreier where one of the many avatars of Ghaunadaur lie. I also seek to find out what happened to the Avatar of Ghaunadaur in the body of Naxil in "a plane of infinite mazes" and how I might reintroduce that avatar as well. With the campaign taking place right in the middle of the Second Sundering I thought it magical to have a party Warlock of Ghaunadaur who may have the opportunity to gather up the lost fragments of the being (at a time where the gods are in flux already headed into the end of the Age of Upheaval) while having a powerful demonic antagonist chasing down those same avatars and fragments- all of this with 5e's Elemental Evil events looming on the horizon..

Surprisingly (with the exception of the temple under Mir) the core locations of the Sunset Temple, The Hills of the Lost Gods, and the ruins of Llurth Dreier are all in a straight-line from the Upper Northdark south-eastward following what I assume was the migration of the Ilythiir tens of thousands of years ago.

As fate would have it.. right along the last stretch.. in this same south-eastward trajectory.. is this: G(hauna)daur's Garden in the Pit of Jhaam. Neither have any information.

I understand leaving points of interest up for the DM's innovation, but..
what is this place? What was the Garden? Thank you, everyone.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 27 Nov 2020 07:59:01
Go to Top of Page

RationalRedneck
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2021 :  18:12:52  Show Profile Send RationalRedneck a Private Message
Hello! New to the podcast and the forums. I’m currently working through the backlog of episodes and I have a question or two. The first of which is. Is someone compiling a list of your NDA’s? I was planning on going through the current playlist twice anyway. Once for pleasure/casual listening and the second with a goal of taking notes on further reading, ideas, and hmm that’s interesting moments. It wouldn’t be much trouble to add another column to that list.

I’m currently on episode 17 at 40 minutes in. The topic of Elminster having daughters and Mystra’s influence on the process came up. I found myself having a “Hmm….”, “that’s interesting…….”, and then a “Wait…. What?” moment.

Mystra’s stated goal is to increase the number of people who can access arcane magic and to further that goal she meddles in the reproductive outcomes of her chosen. Implying that, being a wizard requires more than just a high IQ, but rather a connection to magic that at least; can be hereditary (not to imply that it is only hereditary).

In that case, wouldn’t a single “dashing, philandering scoundrel, with a sense of wanderlust” son of Elminster be a more effective method of delivering this trait into the general populace? Via traveling the lands and leaving scores of bastards in his wake; by having “dalliances” with “ladies of the evening” and “dissatisfied wives” (ignoring ethics). In short, men can impregnate faster than women can gestate (for humans at least).

Mystra not doing that kind of implies that this is something that is predominantly inherited matrilineally. I’ve spent the last hour or more with the video on pause mulling over why that might be, and the various implications of that. To cut to the chase; is this closer to either:

“Mystra favoring female offspring is the first thing that came to mind, it made sense to me at the time, and I hadn’t really thought about it.”

or

“Funny you should ask. Let me pull up my wooden crate of notes I wrote on why that’s the case. Do we have 6 hours to kill?”

I hope all of that made sense.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000