Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New pre-spellpague novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  00:35:17  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any hope of ever seeing the creative direction of the realms turn back to the classic era before the spellplague? I've been trying to get into the new realms and can't get excited. There are too many beloved characters and stories from 2/3 ed that I would love to hear more on or resolutions on what became of them to get emotionally invested in any new ones.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  00:41:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're barely supporting the current era, lore and novels for the 1300s DR are like an impossible dream. However, some authors may decide to publish their work through the DMGuild (Elaine Cunningham will probably do that and publish her novel ''Reclamation'' as a series of monthly or weekly releases. She can't upload a whole novel at once, because WotC has a contract with another company that grants the latter the exclusive rights to publish FR novels in digital format, from what I've understood).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  02:31:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but from what Bob Salvatore's been saying lately, any contract renewal with WotC (which may not happen at all) might involve a renegotiation so that he can self-publish, thereby gaining the ability to set his own prices and royalties - which have been an issue with the release of Maestro. If he manages that, he could also gain more creative control and finally write that Jarlaxle/Zaknafein novel he's been talking about on and off since The Ghost King came out.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  02:35:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

True, but from what Bob Salvatore's been saying lately, any contract renewal with WotC (which may not happen at all) might involve a renegotiation so that he can self-publish, thereby gaining the ability to set his own prices and royalties - which have been an issue with the release of Maestro. If he manages that, he could also gain more creative control and finally write that Jarlaxle/Zaknafein novel he's been talking about on and off since The Ghost King came out.

Hope so, but would Hasbro/WotC really allow for self-publishing?Considering their record so far, I don't believe for one moment that they would give up having the final say on everything that may happen and is official in the Realms (self-publishing--and therefore lack of editing from WotC--could lead to that).

Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  04:11:17  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Bob left though, you might as well just shut down the novels. The majority of the money has to come from Bob. He hits the bestseller list twice a year. Compared to Elminster and Farideh, Drizzt is probably bankrolling the novel line. I think the other two authors make a profit, maybe even a decent one, but it is Bob that really rakes in the money. I think WotC has to bend over backwards for Bob. Though they didn't do it for Kemp, and he ended up leaving because he wanted a fairer wage. So who knows how they will react. I really think that Bob probably hates the new kindle prices though. Its not his fault but he is really getting a lot of hate for the $27 e-books.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  13:33:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

If Bob left though, you might as well just shut down the novels. The majority of the money has to come from Bob. He hits the bestseller list twice a year. Compared to Elminster and Farideh, Drizzt is probably bankrolling the novel line. I think the other two authors make a profit, maybe even a decent one, but it is Bob that really rakes in the money. I think WotC has to bend over backwards for Bob. Though they didn't do it for Kemp, and he ended up leaving because he wanted a fairer wage. So who knows how they will react. I really think that Bob probably hates the new kindle prices though. Its not his fault but he is really getting a lot of hate for the $27 e-books.

That's likely true. But I don't think that they'll renounce to full control over their IP. Perhaps they'll allow Bob to self publish, but only as long as they get the last say on what can happen and what can't.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  14:17:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Is there any hope of ever seeing the creative direction of the realms turn back to the classic era before the spellplague? I've been trying to get into the new realms and can't get excited. There are too many beloved characters and stories from 2/3 ed that I would love to hear more on or resolutions on what became of them to get emotionally invested in any new ones.

Hi Clegane!

I hear you... I 'dropped out of warp' with the Realms when 4E/Spellplague happened. I hated 4E but I could have been convinced to stay with WotC **if** they would have kept supporting the Realms as they were. With the Spellplague, it was the last nail in the coffin for me.

So I turned to Paizo and 'engaged' in their new world (which was being contributed by Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham - campaign setting and novel, respectively - at the time; I don't think they still contribute but one would have to check with them to confirm that).

Sorry for the Star Trek puns, but basically Pathfinder did me two favors: they kept supporting 3.5 (and with the Core Rulebook they further improved on 3.5 but did not scrap it MMORPG 4E style), and they created a really, really, reaaaaaaally cool campaign setting (I mean come on, there's an entire country that worships Asmodeus and keep tyring to put down rebellions! :) )
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  18:57:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Clegane

Nope!! The Realms is on life support when it comes to the fictional aspects. A while ago WoTC was tasked with making DnD support itself as an IP. Before that, all the profits were shared across all of WoTC's IPs. Which basically means that Magic the Gathering supported a more robust DnD output. But Capitalism and maximizing profits happened.

It makes me wonder sometimes if that whole diaspora from the Realms after 4E didn't indeed kill the product in the end. Sometimes it's good to withhold patronage in order to influence the developers. But that game can be a double edged sword.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  19:10:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Nope!! The Realms is on life support when it comes to the fictional aspects.

The gaming aspect, or the setting in general, isn't faring any better.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  19:35:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people on the Paizo boards have floated the idea that Paizo should buy the FR IP and re-start the machine... I think the Paizo staff have not replied or willfully ignored such posts.

I think our best hope for a breath of life into the Realms lies with the upcoming FR movie(s) folks... i.e. don't hold your breath, but movies sometimes make the marketing geniuses drum up somekind of business...
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  19:38:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming this isn't an April Fool's joke, there's actually some movement with the next D&D/FR film, which will include a gnome and a half-dragon:

http://thewertzone.blogspot.ca/2016/04/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-gets-director.html
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  20:18:50  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't find the FR movie thread anymore... please kindly repost there... whoever finds it... :)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  20:32:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one? http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20816

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2016 :  21:53:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Assuming this isn't an April Fool's joke, there's actually some movement with the next D&D/FR film, which will include a gnome and a half-dragon:

http://thewertzone.blogspot.ca/2016/04/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-gets-director.html

So a gnome and a half-dragon walk into a bar...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  01:43:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro has no need to sell the FR IP. As a huge gaming company they would rather leave it dormant and accessible than lose it altogether.

I expect too that they would want an exorbitant chunk of change for it or even access to it. Pay attention to how many D&D collaborative projects went south in 2014/2015.

Lastly, the Realms gaming fanbase isn't as big as you think it is. I'm not sure anyone is going to make money selling FR gaming products as a solo operation.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 02 Apr 2016 01:45:53
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  02:37:27  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hasbro has no need to sell the FR IP. As a huge gaming company they would rather leave it dormant and accessible than lose it altogether.

I expect too that they would want an exorbitant chunk of change for it or even access to it. Pay attention to how many D&D collaborative projects went south in 2014/2015.

Lastly, the Realms gaming fanbase isn't as big as you think it is. I'm not sure anyone is going to make money selling FR gaming products as a solo operation.

-- George Krashos

Yeah Hasbro is huge and can afford the shelve IPs. BUT, isn't the agreement with Ed that they can't do that? Don't they have to put out something every year or else the rights revert to Ed?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  02:45:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Yeah Hasbro is huge and can afford the shelve IPs. BUT, isn't the agreement with Ed that they can't do that? Don't they have to put out something every year or else the rights revert to Ed?

As I understand it. Ed either gets to write one novel per year or agree to a payment not to right one novel a year. If neither occurs then FR does revert back to Ed as owner of the IP.

From comments I have read it appears unlikely Ed would want the complications to his life of having the IP revert to him. Oh it might happen of course, however we also only have been given a little insight of the contact the Ed signed with TSR. Also we do not know if any modifications have been made to the first contract.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  06:25:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DMs Guild: FR content. Done.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  07:25:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which might not be in wording with the original contract, if it meant tsr at the time and wotc and later Hasbro, the wording might have and still be official product and not some 2 bit fan base creation created by fans for fans.

but tahts my take, and that might not be what it says either, I dunno never read any of the posts of said topic, don't have plans to either, seach-fu is no good.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000