Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Relics of the Church of Lathander
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  22:38:59  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does the Church of Lathander have any known relics? Saints? Looking in particular for a relic that isn't some super-powered magic item.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  02:15:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on information provided to me by Ed, not many faiths have saints. Lathander doesn't.

The "Blood of Lathander" showcased in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is about the only described relic/artifact.

There is also the Tome of Morning from Prayers from the Faithful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 30 Jan 2016 02:16:37
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  03:10:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is also the eye of lathander and belt and cloak of neverwinter. although the game is canon, the items well....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  17:01:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's the shining cock of Lathander.... it crows when dawn approaches, and its light is known to slay undead

There's the Staff of Morning Wood. Its known to grow young trees into giant treants to protect Lathander's interests.

There's the Golden Balls of Birthing. These are some lesser artifacts favored by midwives who use them to lessen the distress of women giving birth.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  18:00:56  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than those mentioned by Krash, the only one I know of was the Dawnstone, described in the old Ruins of Myth Drannor box.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  18:20:29  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dawnstone also got a writeup in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

There was also the Blade of Lathander from the FRC2 adventure Curse of the Azure Bonds that was said to have been forged 'in the hearth of the morning sun' in Saerloon by a renowned dwarf smith specifically to slay Tyranthraxus. It's a +3 broadsword with a blade of ruby quartz. If used in combat with Tyranthraxus, it becomes a +6 weapon that deals 3d10 base damage and Tyranthraxus must pass a save or be forced out of his host body.

After being stolen from the temple of Bane in Zhentil Keep by a halfling thief named Benjil Turcot, the boat he escaped in sank. The Zhentarim claimed that the sword was lost under the Moonsea, but it was a lie and they'd actually retrieved it before they sank Benjil's boat.

I only go into so much detail because FRC2 isn't a particularly good adventure and I don't expect people to play it to find out for themselves.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  17:13:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a glass globe, containing a single rose, forever in bloom, that can create a soft rosy glow within a 10 or 20 foot radius, and that glow has the same effects as a daylight spell?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  19:04:47  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it! Maybe it was a rose that the avatar of Lathander picked when he visited Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2016 :  10:31:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was this artifact called the golden chalice of Lathander, published in one of the 3.x books.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2016 :  16:20:35  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

There was this artifact called the golden chalice of Lathander, published in one of the 3.x books.

It's not an artifact, it's a standard wondrous magic item from Magic of Faerûn that priests of Lathander could craft.

Although, it does remind me of an item that I vaguely recall from Christie Golden's Vampire of the Mists in which Barovia's Lathander cultists drink from a sun cup.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 01 Feb 2016 16:23:54
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2016 :  18:04:37  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

How about a glass globe, containing a single rose, forever in bloom, that can create a soft rosy glow within a 10 or 20 foot radius, and that glow has the same effects as a daylight spell?

I'd make up a minor artifact, The Everburning Lantern (of the Morninglord). It looks like an nice ornate normal-looking lantern. Except that it doesn't require oil, the flame never dies. And any undead that is exposed to the lantern's light within 10' radius will take 1d6 radiant damage at the beginning of the target creature's turn. The lantern is designed as a "hooded" lantern, but there is a small turnscrew that allows you to dim the lantern to a very dim flicker although doing so can never completely snuff out the (permanent) magical flame inside. At full illumination, Lantern illuminates for a 30-foot radius like any other hooded lantern. (But the radiant damage to undead is only good up to 10 foot radius).

Edited by - moonbeast on 01 Feb 2016 18:08:27
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2016 :  13:31:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Marches had a moment when Lathander manifested as a voice in Rhyester's Matins (his temple at Silverymoon) after the funeral of the previous Mornmaster, telling them to follow "the one who lays upon this my altar the rightful sign from me".. Naturally, there was a little disagreement as to exactly what the “rightful sign” in question could be.
It follows that the guessed objects are what people (clergy, first and foremost) consider some of his most favoured items, right?
The web enhancement had items that some guess can be the "rightful sign".
quote:
Nightbreaker: This +1 ghost touch disruption heavy mace is a sacred item to the church of the Morninglord, having been wielded by a successive line of paladins of the Order of the Aster.
The item was lost in 1344 DR, when its bearer left to destroy a lair of specters, and has not been seen since. [*]
Scouring Sunlight: This +1 holy light mace sheds light when drawn. At the end are three large gems, one red, one orange, and one a brilliant yellow, each carved with Lathander’s holy symbol.
Once per day the mace can invoke searing light. The weapon was lost in a crusade against the forces of Ghaunadaur, drow god of oozes, and has not been seen for nearly 100 years. [*]
Rose Mask: This “mask,” made of a hard rose-colored crystal, is shaped like the front of an open-faced helm rather than a traditional mask.
At the brow is etched the symbol of Lathander. The wearer of the mask gains a +4 morale bonus to saves against fear effects and a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution. [*]

where [*] = Certain members of the clergy believe this item to be the “rightful sign” of Lathander’s favor described in the Rhyester’s Matins (temple) entry in the Silverymoon section of The Silver Marches.

So take these examples. To get more, tweak and if they fall short of a relic, beef up a little with special powers.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 03 Feb 2016 10:01:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000