Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Products By The Scribes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2016 :  20:38:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just thought I'd post up some of the work of scribes of the keep to help people support their efforts.

The first ones I've noticed of course are those by our own resident realms expert George Krashos (although many probably have them already).

If you find anything else then might as well post it here.

Saints of Impiltur by George Krashos

High History of Impiltur by George Krashos

Swords of Impiltur - Soargar's Legacy by George Krashos

Talona's Touch: Poisons of the Forgotten Realms by George Krashos

Swords of Impiltur: Imbrar's Inheritance by George Krashos

TWC1 - The Maztica Campaign Guide by Theodore Hild

TWN1 - Azure Skies by Theodore Hild

TWM1 - Diamond Eyes - A True World Tale of Betrayal by Theodore Hild

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 01 Mar 2016 19:46:16

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  02:22:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given these have been showcased here for free, I thought it would be appropriate for them to get a bigger audience.

Hopefully there'll be more stuff in time to come.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  05:44:38  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff on the Saints George! I'm a bit mystified as to why it isn't at a minimum a "Pay What You Want" because this is good stuff that I'm sure people would happily throw a couple of dollars towards.

For the Patron Saint feat I would argue that the pre-requisite should be "has the domain class feature" just to help clear it up. Otherwise can I cast domain spells without having a domain? Does having ritual caster (cleric) count as casting cleric spells and if so by what mechanic do I cast cleric spells if I'm a fighter? Requiring a domain helps clear that up.

The domains are really good as well. They're definitely legal in my games going forward :) Are there any other gods who would have the discipline domain (helm? Tempus?) or the suffering domain (one of the drow gods?).

I absolutely love the idea of saints granting different domains as well. This is a very slick way of reintroducing the multiple domains we had in 3.5e without needing to assign 4 domains to every single deity. Have saints been mentioned and/or detailed in any prior products? Or is this the first time they've been explored? I don't recall them in Faiths and Avatars, although there has been much said on the gods beyond what's in that book ;)

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Edited by - JohnLynch on 30 Jan 2016 06:12:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  09:11:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a very good point John. I didn't consider the magic initiate or ritual caster feats when I wrote the article. The DMs Guild piece had been amended accordingly.

As I noted in the article, some of the new domains have an instant 'fit' for other deities - vengeance for Hoar, suffering for Loviatar etc. I'm sure discipline would work fine for Helm. It's up to individual DMs as to what they think fits a particular deity.

Saints have been a part of D&D in terms of being "mentioned" since 1E. I vividly remember the article on saints back in Dragon #79 (which was quasi-inspiration for the piece) and thinking how saints could be applied to faiths in the Realms. Ed provided most of the general saint lore showcased in the article and saints of Ilmater are the only saints referenced in the lore to date - notably by Steven Schend in Empires of the Shining Sea, which Ed tells me drew from earlier discussions between them on this topic many moons ago.

Otherwise, in terms of details, this probably represents the most detailed look at saints in the Realms to date. Thanks for taking the time.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2016 :  21:40:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose actually checking out the site would clarify some things for me and answer my questions, but I thought I could post them here, as well, since some fellow scribes have already uploaded material and have a better understanding of how it works.

I am a writer, so I could write a short story (heck, I'd write a novel if WotC contacted me), but I have never written an adventure before, I don't know the first thing about assigning stats, and if I came up with lore ideas, it would either be in a short story format, or a description of what my idea for the lore is (and I don't think people would want to pay for that).

Do I have any options?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2016 :  22:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working on writing up my Westgate campaign for the guild, and I'm going to be involved in TEGG's guild work as well. Stay tuned!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  01:22:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'm working on writing up my Westgate campaign for the guild, and I'm going to be involved in TEGG's guild work as well. Stay tuned!

Cheers

Cool news!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  02:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have written many netbooks for 3.5 in the past and have had them up here for years now. I took down the Maztica Campaign Guide (my first 5e product) because I put it up on DMSGuild and I think it's against the rules to have it posted somewhere else (like Candlekeep), even though its a free product.

I am in the process of finishing a novella (honestly done within the next 2-3 days, as long as the Superbowl doesn't get me too crazy). I would like to put it up on DMSGuild for a few dollars, but I feel weird even talking about it here because I am charging. I feel like I'm running around asking friends for money and it doesn't feel quite right - should I feel that way?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Feb 2016 02:02:21
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  02:21:30  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all right for wanting to charge for something you'very worked hard at. If you're posting a novella on the Guild, that means we're allowed to post stories?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  02:23:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you're putting effort and time into your work. It's perfectly reasonable to ask for some support.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  02:25:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
If you're posting a novella on the Guild, that means we're allowed to post stories?

Mearls has asked to hold off with novellas, but trying doesn't hurt. The worst that could happen is that your product could be taken down.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  03:05:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
If you're posting a novella on the Guild, that means we're allowed to post stories?

Mearls has asked to hold off with novellas, but trying doesn't hurt. The worst that could happen is that your product could be taken down.

Oh boy . I have to admit I'd be crushed. I really hope they don't...

My old boss used to say, "It's better to ask forgiveness than it is permission." But that's not the route I want to take here. The story was meant to work in tandem with my campaign guide so perhaps I'll just combine them if it becomes a problem.

Thank you all for the advice

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Feb 2016 03:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  03:13:54  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can see that. I'd feel crushed too.

To be safe, you can try to ask Mearls here: https://twitter.com/mikemearls

Edited by - Irennan on 05 Feb 2016 03:14:32
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  03:21:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stories or lore ideas would be all I would be able to provide. Hmm...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  04:58:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I have written many netbooks for 3.5 in the past and have had them up here for years now. I took down the Maztica Campaign Guide (my first 5e product) because I put it up on DMSGuild and I think it's against the rules to have it posted somewhere else (like Candlekeep), even though its a free product.

I am in the process of finishing a novella (honestly done within the next 2-3 days, as long as the Superbowl doesn't get me too crazy). I would like to put it up on DMSGuild for a few dollars, but I feel weird even talking about it here because I am charging. I feel like I'm running around asking friends for money and it doesn't feel quite right - should I feel that way?

I had the same dilemma with the stuff I have put up at the DMs Guild. The Impiltur history and saints articles were already available for free so I couldn't in good conscience ask for money. On my poisons piece, I did some good work, lots of 5E retconning, coming up with new and different stuff and thought it was worth the $2 price tag I put on it. So far, 22 people agree!!

Although it is very interesting to note "sales" on the DMs Guild. I queried them whether it was possible to track downloads of free articles and was told that at this current point in time, it wasn't. They did tell me however that my Impiltur timeline had been downloaded 163 times at that stage. If I had slapped a $2-3 price tag on it, I wonder how many downloads it would have garnered ...?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  05:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I had the same dilemma with the stuff I have put up at the DMs Guild. The Impiltur history and saints articles were already available for free so I couldn't in good conscience ask for money. On my poisons piece, I did some good work, lots of 5E retconning, coming up with new and different stuff and thought it was worth the $2 price tag I put on it. So far, 22 people agree!!

Although it is very interesting to note "sales" on the DMs Guild. I queried them whether it was possible to track downloads of free articles and was told that at this current point in time, it wasn't. They did tell me however that my Impiltur timeline had been downloaded 163 times at that stage. If I had slapped a $2-3 price tag on it, I wonder how many downloads it would have garnered ...?

-- George Krashos

It makes me laugh that you brought this up, because download tracking is one of the main reasons I want to charge. Perhaps that is their reasoning behind not displaying that information...after all, they make one buck for every one of your downloads as well.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Feb 2016 05:08:53
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  12:27:28  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would like to put it up on DMSGuild for a few dollars, but I feel weird even talking about it here because I am charging. I feel like I'm running around asking friends for money and it doesn't feel quite right - should I feel that way?
IMO: no. Ed posts stuff here for free fairly regularly. So do plenty of other authors including Eric L Boyd and Elaine Cunningham. And yet they all still do paid work that pretty much targets includes the candlekeep audience as their target audience. When Ed publishes a book I'm sure at least some of his players go out and get one. Much the same situation here :)

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  17:28:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you.

It is done. I tried to alleviate the whole "novel" problem by connecting it to the crunch in the campaign guide. Lets see if that holds water.

TWN-1 Azure Skies

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6349 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  18:57:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a few more to the first post. If anyone releases any others let me know.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2371 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2016 :  16:20:18  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would like to put it up on DMSGuild for a few dollars, but I feel weird even talking about it here because I am charging. I feel like I'm running around asking friends for money and it doesn't feel quite right - should I feel that way?

Want to charge - charge, don't want to charge - don't charge, it's your call...
If you want some sort of a compromise, that's what Pay-What-You-Want does. Some will pay. Some won't pay, but will recommend to others, so there are more of both. Which is pretty much how it ends up anyway, but without bothering to juggle promotion part and income part.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2016 :  17:09:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was the Eilistrae release from a scribe here. It was excellent work.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  03:01:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's all right for wanting to charge for something you'very worked hard at. If you're posting a novella on the Guild, that means we're allowed to post stories?

Morally maybe... legally, that could be problems.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  03:18:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Want to charge - charge, don't want to charge - don't charge, it's your call...
If you want some sort of a compromise, that's what Pay-What-You-Want does. Some will pay. Some won't pay, but will recommend to others, so there are more of both. Which is pretty much how it ends up anyway, but without bothering to juggle promotion part and income part.

Does the pay what you want let you know how many downloads have happened? I ask because what I want to put out there is a currently an 86 page PDF, but I figure I have 2 more pages just listing spells for class lists, 1 more page worth of converted spells, a reference page to credit the couple sources that I'm including links to, 4 pages of rituals, 4 more pages of feats, and 4 pages of monsters.... so probably at the end bordering right around 100 pages. However, I'm not real interested in the money (though I'd appreciate some, as it has been an effort... and I've spent about $30 looking at other people's works... only a few have been worth the time)... I am interested in seeing how many people download it and seeing feedback.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  11:25:56  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Does the pay what you want let you know how many downloads have happened?

Yes it does. The sales report allows you to include free downloads. So you can check how many people paid, but also how many paid + how many didn't.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  00:23:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Does the pay what you want let you know how many downloads have happened?

Yes it does. The sales report allows you to include free downloads. So you can check how many people paid, but also how many paid + how many didn't.

Yes, the stats on sales and how many people have "donated" on a pay what you want basis are easily accessible.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  03:47:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

Was the Eilistrae release from a scribe here. It was excellent work.

Yes it was posted by Irennan whom indeed is a scribe here. I also thought it was very good work.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  03:55:06  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  04:06:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I didn't post here, because I had already made a thread when Mournblade asked, and thought that it would have been redundant to comment here too.

Go to Top of Page

R P Davis
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  00:30:23  Show Profile  Visit R P Davis's Homepage Send R P Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few things posted to DMs Guild, found here.

Nothing of Realmslore, because I'm not at all qualified, but since it must be Realms to go up on DMs Guild if it's an adventure or location, it's Realms.

Edited to add: One thing I discovered is it's damned difficult to put a town, no matter how small, in the Realms, if it's created of whole cloth. The more I drill down, the more populated the dratted place is. Of course, after I put Eastbrook in Archendale, I found a map of the Dalelands which shows some of my assumptions about distance and stuff are false.

I'm inspired, though, to select a small settlement somewhere in Cormyr or - since George is here! - Impiltur to set another adventure starting location. Now I know about Candlekeep, I can at least run my ideas past people who know infinitely more about the Realms to see if my ideas are contradicted somewhere in canon.

Cheers,

Bob
www.r-p-davis.com

Edited by - R P Davis on 15 Mar 2017 00:35:53
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  03:33:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off topic, but I have to throw this in.

R P: it may feel difficult to place a whole new town/city in Cormyr or the Dales, if you want to avoid overwriting things already written in previous editions... but as far as I can tell the 5e Realms are still pretty sparsely detailed. It would be easy for the Spellplague and the Sundering and their associated natural/unnatural disasters and mutant monsters and population movements to have wiped out any given town, which DMs can replace with your work. Writing in 5e also reduces the need to be an "expert" on Realmslore to basically zero. If your settlement makes sense (meaning there's places for people to live and places to work and places to get groceries and equipment) and you can add some ties to other nearby settlements (trade, alliances, rivalries, etc) then it's good stuff.

If you really want a tract of land you can do *anything* with, without any danger of stepping on toes or being contradicted by upcoming WotC products, raise your flags on one of Toril's other continents, or the other planets/moons in Toril's sphere, and create some "keyed" portals from your lands to Faerun. Keyed meaning it requires a certain talisman or spell or time-of-day (or anything else) to use the portals. This handily explains how your civilization has grown and thrived and even interacted with Faerun without anybody on Faerun really knowing anything for certain about your people.

Never shy away from creating new lore.

Please never fall into the trap of thinking that there are no stones left unturned, even in heavily populated areas... that way lies the wrong-headed blasphemy of the 4e design.

My 2 cents. Enjoy the Realms!

Edit: And yes, definitely feel free to ask questions and bounce ideas off us. We have hard noggins!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 15 Mar 2017 03:35:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  07:59:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R P Davis

I'm inspired, though, to select a small settlement somewhere in Cormyr or - since George is here! - Impiltur to set another adventure starting location. Now I know about Candlekeep, I can at least run my ideas past people who know infinitely more about the Realms to see if my ideas are contradicted somewhere in canon.

Xaeyruudh is right - don't be scared to put something in. Oh and Impiltur has heaps of room for small towns and a gazillion villages, not to mention ranches and farming collectives in the Uplands. I'd love to see what other people can do with the place.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Mar 2017 07:59:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000