Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Today's AMA Chat with Mike Mearls
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  04:44:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:

I'm not a rules guy, though -- I'm all about concept and backstory. I want the who and the how, not the what.

The stuff I've in mind focuses on those things. One of my current projects has many, many NPCs -- and not one of them has an assigned level or class. There is "this person is a wizard" and "this one is a former thief," but that's it. I'm not even doing the minimal 2E block (W17 hm NG, INT 19) because these folks are all background NPCs.

I don't own any of the 5E rule books, either, and have barely flipped thru them. Sure, there's the SRD, but I'm not going to throw in some gaming references just to have them there.

For me, part of what makes the setting is the NPCs. And that's my focus.

Well that's what other people can help with. Ask for someone to help you with the rules and then they can get recognition for their work and you can get recognition for yours and overall a better product is delivered (and you can release it on the guild which you might not be able to do otherwise without some 5e rules).

I would release it here, as is, to a smaller audience, before I'd bolt rules on there for the sake of having them. It has long been my opinion that the most useful NPCs are the ones the DM can customize to suit his own needs, and adding anything beyond the most generalized stats (like the minimal 2E one referenced above) interferes with that.

Besides which, not all of my NPCs would be easy to stat out. Like the one who isn't the most powerful wizard around, but can ignore certain spell effects, and has some unique abilities on top of that. Or the guy that's just a mid-level warrior but has a unique magical item that doesn't come close to matching anything I'm aware of in any edition of the game. In both of those cases, I think a vague reference to their abilities is more thematically appropriate than nailing it down in a stat block.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  23:47:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You and I are in a similar boat, Wooly. I have some lore ideas that might fit with current events in 5e, but I have no stats or anything mechanical for them.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  15:13:19  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:

I'm not a rules guy, though -- I'm all about concept and backstory. I want the who and the how, not the what.

The stuff I've in mind focuses on those things. One of my current projects has many, many NPCs -- and not one of them has an assigned level or class. There is "this person is a wizard" and "this one is a former thief," but that's it. I'm not even doing the minimal 2E block (W17 hm NG, INT 19) because these folks are all background NPCs.

I don't own any of the 5E rule books, either, and have barely flipped thru them. Sure, there's the SRD, but I'm not going to throw in some gaming references just to have them there.

For me, part of what makes the setting is the NPCs. And that's my focus.

Well that's what other people can help with. Ask for someone to help you with the rules and then they can get recognition for their work and you can get recognition for yours and overall a better product is delivered (and you can release it on the guild which you might not be able to do otherwise without some 5e rules).

I would release it here, as is, to a smaller audience, before I'd bolt rules on there for the sake of having them. It has long been my opinion that the most useful NPCs are the ones the DM can customize to suit his own needs, and adding anything beyond the most generalized stats (like the minimal 2E one referenced above) interferes with that.

Besides which, not all of my NPCs would be easy to stat out. Like the one who isn't the most powerful wizard around, but can ignore certain spell effects, and has some unique abilities on top of that. Or the guy that's just a mid-level warrior but has a unique magical item that doesn't come close to matching anything I'm aware of in any edition of the game. In both of those cases, I think a vague reference to their abilities is more thematically appropriate than nailing it down in a stat block.

I havent read or heard anything in the podcast that says a person cant post just lore. My advice, post a sample using what you wrote in this thread as a disclaimer. Then see what the marketplace will bare. I can guarantee at least one download from me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  16:43:48  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

So far as I can tell the subsettings within FR that are allowed are Faerun, Zakahara, Kara Tur, Katashaka, Osse, Anchrome, Returned Abier, Mazatica.

Planar wise FR and 5e core planes are allowed according to Mearls

Anything published by TSR/WotC that is either Realms or non-setting specific (Heroes of Horror, Complete Adventurer, other generic splatbooks) are greenlighted. I'm shooting him an email today about Dungeon and Dragon magazines.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  17:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what does it mean, "anything greenlit"?
Can I take descriptions of Suzail from the 2nd ed CORMYR splatbook and reproduce it, or does it mean I can use the word "Suzail" in my work but beyond that I need to make up my own version? Yeah I'm still confused.
Perhaps because I come at this from a lore/story angle? I dont care about rules I like good adventures/stories. But I can hardly write a module without breaking canon if I can't add existing lore. And why say "anything goes" when that clearly isn't true? (E.g. art/maps/logos/fonts)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  17:24:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Krashos has already posted the High History of Impilur on the site. No stats for anything, just a timeline and some vignettes to highlight some of the events on the timeline. Doesn't seem to be a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  17:26:46  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RESPONSE on Dungeon and Dragon Magazine: https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/689134609028657154

Caladan Brood, from what I gathered (I sat there for the entire AMA), we can convert anything to 5e, just not verbatim. For adventures, stat blocks only, new descriptions of items and spells in 5e rules. Otherwise, if you have something written you created, you may publish it.

The one question nobody asked, and I'm surprised, is about pre-5e timeline for places covered in official product. At somepoint, we've all moved away from canon, some more than others (I fall into the "more than others", especially with Menzo).

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  17:28:41  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

George Krashos has already posted the High History of Impilur on the site. No stats for anything, just a timeline and some vignettes to highlight some of the events on the timeline. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Already downloaded that. Looks great! Excellent example.

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  17:31:23  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we will need is a way to track what has been published so we don't start working on something and get almost done and see it's been done, like NPC stats. I have a pretty full list from the old Wizards boards for 3.5 I plan on converting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000