Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  04:04:56  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I finished rereading all the Arilyn & Danilo books, and decided to take a shot on Mistborn.

I'm not even halfway thru, and I've already added the rest of the books to my Amazon wish list.

I'm almost done with Oathbringer now, and the Mistborn Trilogy is next up on my list. Read Warbreaker and Edgedancer as well. Sanderson has always been on my list, I just wish I had started reading his books sooner!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2018 :  05:12:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

quote:

I finished rereading all the Arilyn & Danilo books, and decided to take a shot on Mistborn.

I'm not even halfway thru, and I've already added the rest of the books to my Amazon wish list.

I'm almost done with Oathbringer now, and the Mistborn Trilogy is next up on my list. Read Warbreaker and Edgedancer as well. Sanderson has always been on my list, I just wish I had started reading his books sooner!

I expect I'll eventually get to those books... I really enjoyed Mistborn, which was the first thing by him that I had read.

I passed by a couple of signings he did at GenCon, last year... I didn't really know anything about him, but the length of the line waiting for him spoke volumes!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2018 :  04:56:25  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started Mistborn, haven't had much time to get into it yet, but it's starting off pretty promising.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  03:10:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've finished Mistborn and the second book, The Well of Ascension. I need to order the third book from the Amazon and read it... I've also reread Armada recently, and right now, I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora -- another first for me.

I was enjoying the book, but after over 200 pages, I was beginning to wonder when we were going to be intro'ed to the main plot. That's finally happened, and it's interesting, but I'm not sure I like waiting that long to really start the story.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  06:03:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just now finished The Lies of Locke Lamora, and I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable. I've already put the next couple of books on the Amazon wishlist.

I do have a minor quibble about the book, though: the absent character Sabetha. She's mentioned frequently as one of those Father Chains raised to be a Gentleman Bastard, and we know that Locke had his heart very thoroughly broken by her... But she never appears in the book. Even in the flashbacks, she's never onscreen a single time. Her absence is very conspicuous, to me; so noticeable that I find myself wondering why she was mentioned at all if she wasn't going to have an appearance. Even if she had been onscreen in a single flashback, that would have been something...

I've an Amazon order scheduled to arrive tomorrow; among other things, it has the third Mistborn book in it. So that will be the next bit of reading. At the moment, I'm not sure if I'm going to follow that up with the next Locke Lamora book, or if I'm going to grab something out of the pile of new books I got for my birthday, or if I'll revisit an old fave.

Kind of unintentionally, I've gotten into an odd habit where there are certain books I generally read at specific times of the year... I usually reread Ready Player One and The Rook in January, because that was the time I first read them, and I made myself wait a year before re-reading them. So those two books are likely to be read soon.

(The others, for anyone curious: I generally reread the Harry Potter books during the summer, because that was when the new ones would come out, and I would reread all the prior ones when a new one came out. And I tend to read the Lord of the Rings books at the end of the year. I first read them sometime in the spring, but I didn't like them, then. I reread them when the first of the Peter Jackson movies came out, and I loved them, then -- and that was in December. And I try to spread rereads out by about a year.)

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2018 :  12:15:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts and starting VR's Guide to the Created.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  18:48:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the Mistborn trilogy last night... Wow, what a ride! I heartily recommend those books to any who haven't read them.

Right now, I'm revisiting Ready Player One. The Rook will likely be next, since that's how I first read those two books. I may or may not follow The Rook with its kinda sequel, Stiletto. I say "kinda" because it builds on the original story, and the main character from The Rook does put in a couple of appearances, but Stiletto has a different cast of main characters. It's an enjoyable story, but The Rook was something very unique -- Stiletto doesn't have that uniqueness, because it's not world-building, it's adding on to it. Plus, in addition to the world-building, The Rook made very clever use of the amnesiac main character trope -- which wouldn't work a second time, for the same setting.

Either way, after these 2 or 3 rereads, I'll go back and pick up something else new to read. I'm not sure what, yet, but my birthday considerably expanded my to-read pile, and some of those new reads have already caused me to buy more books from the Amazon...

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2018 :  22:56:39  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I finished the Mistborn trilogy last night... Wow, what a ride! I heartily recommend those books to any who haven't read them.

I just finished The Final Empire and then decided to take a break with The Orc King. I was thinking of taking a break in between each Mistborn as they were not quite as thrilling as the Stormlight Archive books have been. Although I must say the end ramped up a LOT! I am excited to finish the trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2018 :  19:03:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished First Blood -- the novel that spawned the Rambo franchise. And this was the starting point, not a novelization of the movie.

I really enjoyed it, but the movie went in a very different direction than the book. In the book, a lot of time is spent focused on the simple fact that the whole mess started because the sheriff wouldn't back down from doing what he thought was right to protect his town, and Rambo wouldn't back down because he'd been hassled by enough other small-town sheriffs and was tired of it. With both of them refusing to back down, what could have been a simple matter -- Rambo just trying to hitchhike through the town -- winds up becoming a huge confrontation, with the state police and National Guard getting involved and quite the body count.

And Rambo doesn't emerge quite as unscathed as he did in the movie, either.

I could say more, but even given the age of the book (It's older than I!), I'll still refrain from spoiling too much.

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  21:43:44  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently finished a re-read of Ready Player One in anticipation of the movie coming out later this week. I can't articulate how much I adore this novel. It's more like an experience than reading an actual book. I feel as though Ernest Cline tapped directly into my head (and I imagine many nerds in a particular age range feel the same) to create it. This may sound strange, but it's so amazing I almost resent it, as I wish I was a good enough author to have penned it and am *jealous* that Cline STOLE my story! Ok, that was a weird thing to say. I hope people reading understand I'm jesting, but it's just eerie how accurately this book speaks to me and my group of friends. There is a small number of books I will read a 2nd time, an even smaller subset of those I will check out three or more times. RP1 is one of those books I can see myself revisiting every year or two for decades to come.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  21:53:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

I recently finished a re-read of Ready Player One in anticipation of the movie coming out later this week. I can't articulate how much I adore this novel. It's more like an experience than reading an actual book. I feel as though Ernest Cline tapped directly into my head (and I imagine many nerds in a particular age range feel the same) to create it. This may sound strange, but it's so amazing I almost resent it, as I wish I was a good enough author to have penned it and am *jealous* that Cline STOLE my story! Ok, that was a weird thing to say. I hope people reading understand I'm jesting, but it's just eerie how accurately this book speaks to me and my group of friends. There is a small number of books I will read a 2nd time, an even smaller subset of those I will check out three or more times. RP1 is one of those books I can see myself revisiting every year or two for decades to come.

That's one of the very few books that the first time I read it, I immediately wanted to re-read it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  22:13:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading The Art of War by Stephen Coonts. No, it's not a translation of Sun Tzu, though it does quote his book by the same name.

This one was a Tom Clancy-esque thriller about the Chinese attempting to recreate the Pearl Harbor attack, this time with a nuke in Norfolk harbor. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't good enough to make my best new reads list for the year.

Before that, it was a sci-fi book called Impulse. Not great, but enjoyable, and it had some nice variations from typical hard sci-fi -- like the revelation that humans were not native to Earth.

Now I'm onto The Republic of Thieves, which likely will make the best new reads list -- it's the third book of the trilogy, and the prior ones made the list. I've highly enjoyed the books (the others are The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies; I quite recommend them).

Next up will be the sequel to Impulse, Starbound.

After that, I will likely read the Mistborn books, Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and The Bands of Mourning -- I very much enjoyed the prior trilogy, and only held off reading this one because I couldn't find all the books at my local bookstore, and then didn't feel like starting a new trilogy).

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Mar 2018 22:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  04:18:32  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished up Mistborn Era 1, then read The Pirate King, which was okay. Entertaining once it got rolling, but the Wulfgar and Icewind Dale bit was kind of weirdly put into the book. Now I'm onto Mistborn Era 2, just started Alloy of Law. Interesting start, the whole 300 years later thing is an interesting spin on this world.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  04:29:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Now I'm onto Mistborn Era 2, just started Alloy of Law. Interesting start, the whole 300 years later thing is an interesting spin on this world.

I'll prolly be reading those soon, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  07:37:37  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm ready the Shandril's Saga.I'm currently on Crown of fire.

I like it so far! It'll be my first real introduction to Elminster

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  15:41:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  15:44:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now I'm onto The Republic of Thieves, which likely will make the best new reads list -- it's the third book of the trilogy, and the prior ones made the list. I've highly enjoyed the books (the others are The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies; I quite recommend them).

Curious to hear your thoughts on that one. For me it felt flat compared to the previous 2.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2018 :  17:39:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Curious to hear your thoughts on that one. For me it felt flat compared to the previous 2.

I enjoyed it, but after seeing the capers in the first two books, it was disappointing not to have a caper in the third.

On the flipside, though, I did like that we finally got to meet Sabetha -- it bugged me in the first book that she was referenced so many times but never appeared at all. In that first book, she was mentioned enough times that I felt like she was a character in the book -- but her absence made all the references seem somewhat heavy-handed and almost gratuitous.

Go to Top of Page

goblins
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2018 :  22:07:45  Show Profile Send goblins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I listen to fiction on Audible. In that sense, I am “reading” the Finder’s Stone trilogy at the moment, having recently finished The Wyvern’s Spur. I should get a start on Song of the Saurials next week after I finish off a Star Wars novel over the weekend (Heir to the Jedi).

I started off 2018 by finishing up the Nentir Vale portion of the Abyssal Plague saga.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2018 :  23:03:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished The Thief, and I am currently reading The Lawrence Browne Affair and Called to Darkness (Pathfinder).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2018 :  03:29:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goblins

I listen to fiction on Audible. In that sense, I am “reading” the Finder’s Stone trilogy at the moment, having recently finished The Wyvern’s Spur. I should get a start on Song of the Saurials next week after I finish off a Star Wars novel over the weekend (Heir to the Jedi).

I started off 2018 by finishing up the Nentir Vale portion of the Abyssal Plague saga.

I found Heir to the Jedi disappointing, myself. It wasn't bad, it just totally failed to grab me.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2018 :  12:38:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Currently reading The Fairies of Sadieville, the final book in Alex Bledsoe's series about the Tufa, descendants of the Tuatha de Dana living in modern-day Appalachia.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2018 :  14:12:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Currently reading The Fairies of Sadieville, the final book in Alex Bledsoe's series about the Tufa, descendants of the Tuatha de Dana living in modern-day Appalachia.

Hmmmm, it sounds kind of American Gods "like", and I must say I really liked that novel because of how much it showed America but with ties to the supernatural (the same reason I still like the Supernatural series despite its "jumping the shark" several times). How well does it seem to make you feel that you're immersed in modern society, but still fey?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thoth
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2018 :  16:00:44  Show Profile Send Thoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm into the third book of the Malazan Series, Memories of Ice.

The series is getting better with each book.
Go to Top of Page

goblins
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2018 :  22:05:01  Show Profile Send goblins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by goblins

I found Heir to the Jedi disappointing, myself. It wasn't bad, it just totally failed to grab me.

It hasn’t really grabbed me either (I bought it in October 2016 and this is probably my fourth attempt to get through it) but I am enjoying it. It was actually the controversy over Luke’s portrayal in The Last Jedi that probably made it stick this time. When I was growing up, I found Luke to probably be the least compelling character in Star Wars. I felt the optimism his character embodied seemed more like naiveté (that almost flirted with indifference) than hopeful defiance. Han’s and Leia’s moral complexity seemed far more interesting. I’m now interpreting Luke with a little more nuance, and I’m not sure I would have without the stories coming out regarding tension between Hamill’s and Johnson’s visions for the character. I’m a lot more engaged with Luke’s internal monologues in this novel than I would have been otherwise.

As an aside, one thing I still find really strange is how little time Luke spends considering his dead aunt and uncle in contrast with his heartache over the loss of Ben Kenobi. There could be something interesting lurking here regarding latent darkside tendencies (he misses Ben because he was a potential means to an end, while his Uncle stood in the way of his dreams).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2018 :  01:24:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading an old favorite, Faerie Tale. It prompted me to do something I've been thinking of for a while, now: re-reading the Riftwar books -- the entire lot of them.

I've read all but the last two, before. But the last time I read thru the series, it became something of a chore. Not because of any flaw with the books, but simply because I get bored if I read too much of one thing at a time. The Dresden Files have been one of the few exceptions to that rule, and I think that's partially because there are still so many unanswered questions in the series, and it keeps building on everything that's gone before.

So with this read-thru, I'm probably going to stop after each trilogy/quartet of books, read something else, then return to the series.

About the Riftwar Saga itself... One of the first fantasy novels I ever read was Magician: Master, and I've read it so many times that I can still pick out what parts in the Preferred Edition weren't in the original release I read. And Jimmy the Hand will always be one of my favorite fantasy characters, along with Nakor the Blue Rider.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2018 :  13:50:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Hmmmm, it sounds kind of American Gods "like", and I must say I really liked that novel because of how much it showed America but with ties to the supernatural (the same reason I still like the Supernatural series despite its "jumping the shark" several times). How well does it seem to make you feel that you're immersed in modern society, but still fey?

There are always human characters who provide windows into the fey world. And the Tufa, though they keep to themselves and are considered strange by locals, appear to be human. They live in a poor county in the Tennessee mountains, and the casual observer would not find them exceptional but for their musical skills. The fey lore and background are woven in slowly, and the magic is subtle.

I would start at the beginning, with the book The Hum and the Shiver.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2018 :  12:18:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished VR's Guide to Ghosts and starting VR's Guide to Vampires.

Go to Top of Page

Grisix
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2018 :  15:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Grisix's Homepage Send Grisix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My last book "read" (audible) is a Night Without Stars, the finale part of the Chronicles of the Fallers. Currently "reading" The Herald.

D&D 5th Edition GM
https://defenders-of-khelb.obsidianportal.com/
Go to Top of Page

goblins
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2018 :  16:22:20  Show Profile Send goblins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the Finder’s Stone trilogy a week or so ago. I enjoyed it immensely. The characters and big action set pieces are some of my favorites of any novels I’ve experienced.

I was a huge fan of Jeff Grubb’s and Karen Novak’s Marvel Super Heroes work in the 80s and 90s, but I have probably the least amount of experience with 2nd Edition era D&D products comparatively across all of the editions. I was planning on jumping around 2/3/4 edition novels, but I liked this so much I decided to start picking up the Avatar series as well (and I will probably move on to the Harpers after).

I renew/cancel my Audible membership every paycheck so I can get 4 titles a month. A few years ago I had a bunch of iTunes gift cards I used on sampling different D&D series when I was just getting back into it. When I finish a series in between my renewal schedule, I’ll go back and try to relisten to a title that didn’t click with me (it’s usually because the reader’s voice isn’t strong enough to be heard consistently when I’m walking outside-which is integral to how I enjoy these novels).

I’m doing that now with Neversfall from the Citadels trilogy, and I did it last month with the Alabaster Staff from the Rouges. I’m only about half way through Neversfall, but I’m finding it engaging. It’s building tension well, and its color, settings, characterizations, and relationship dynamics are interesting.

I loved the Alabaster Staff, probably most so because I found it incredibly interesting that the novel deals directly with the impact of protracted war on civilian populations, Messemprar seems hugely influenced by Baghdad, and this novel was published in July 2003. I also really like the use of the deities, and the humanization of the non-good characters. I’d continue on with the Rouges, but unfortunately I have a terrible time hearing Jean Brassard’s voice when there is ambient noise. I’m a little worried because Nicole Greevy’s isn’t the easiest to pick up either, and she narrates the Avatar series.

Edited by - goblins on 06 May 2018 16:57:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000