Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spoilers, time travel , metal gear solid campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2015 :  05:35:00  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since I have primarily stuck with Salvatore , I have not seen any time travel in the realms. Only resurrection of the companions.

Is time travel a thing in the realms. Some dark magic?

What do you think about a metal gear solid campaign setting. It could be very cool to DM and send a party to
Infiltrate or extract someone. I'm currently playing mgsv mission 9 , and am thinking. , well this would be fun for Dnd!

What other settings from
Video games do
You think would be cool for a campaign setting ?

Uncharted, Star Wars, tomb raider , prince of Persia ?

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2015 :  05:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall there where 3 novels that featured time travel, they involved NEtheril if memory serves

If you mean moving forward in time then there are a number of ways

Be the Victim of an Imprisonment spell and be released by its reverse spell Freedom at a future time

Die and have a Ressurection spell cast on your remains potentially hundreds of years later

Be traped in a wizards Time stop spell and have the wizard cast permenacy on the Time stop while its still active

If you meant travel backwards in time then it becomes alot tricker if I recall altering the timeline is one of Ao's/Mystras no no's

Wotc the used to publish a Star wars campaign setting Called SW Saga edition it was based on 3rd edition.

As for games/tv shows that would make interesting Role playing settings....

Dying Light (PC Game)
The Walking dead
Fallout (PC games)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  11:23:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in 2e, there are time travel spells, specially in the generic Chronomancer book, which is not a Realms book, but which was mentioned as a valid source for the Realms in later books. Besides, there is a revision and a spell in the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set. I've never read a novel dealing with time travel, but then again, I haven't read the Netheril novel (I thought they were only set in Netheril time). But I've actually planned for my campaign that my PCs would find a time-traveler from the future who would have a robotech-inspired robot (using mana as a powering device, in a tech/magic blend), from a S.H.I.E.L.D.-inspired future Harper organization. Not sure if I'll use it, though.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  12:33:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time travel magic is severely restricted in the Realms. There are only two methods - Time Gates and the incredibly rare, incredibly difficult to cast time conduit spell. There are a lot of rules to time travel as well: if you don't play by the rules, you'll find that you can't time travel. Some of the rules are:

* You can only travel to the past, not the future.
* You can only stay in the past for up to thirty days.
* You can't take magic items with you and any magic you are capable of casting is unavailable to you until you've studied your spellbooks/prayed to your god/meditated/whatever once you get to your destination.
* You can't take technologies that didn't exist in both the time AND THE REGION you're travelling to with you.
* You can't travel to a year after your own birth.

There's a well-subscribed theory too, that if you manage to alter the timeline in any real way, events will conspire to prevent you from travelling through time in the first place.

Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight takes a personal interest in anyone attempting to time travel and takes a direct hand in enforcing the many rules (the above being only some of the most pertinent). So trying to circumvent them is folly.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  15:03:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the terry pratchett approach to time travel (from night watch I believe).
I'm fine with players engaging in time travel (although it should be fiendishly difficult and epic to achieve), but even once you do travel back in time, the timeline conspires against you to make the same events happen anyway despite your actions (although the participants in those events may be different).

It makes it much more fun having the players travel back in time to avert some huge disaster by killing the perpetrator only to have his work continued by his assistant. But as a reward the disaster no longer kills certain allies of the party. Or something along those lines. Terry pratchett did the idea far more justice than I ever could.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  21:53:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are tons of adventures and quests that can be used from TES (The Elder Scrolls) games.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  21:55:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the Netheril Trilogy nearly 20 years ago but don't remember any time traveling. I thought it simply took place during the time of Netheril.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  22:12:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main character wound up jumping ahead like 150 or 200 years. He was around before Netheril's fall, and then he somehow got kicked forward in time to well afterward.

I don't remember any details -- I've not read the books in years, partially because they weren't that hot, and partially because of elements like that same character's girlfriend conveniently getting reincarnated in the same timeframe.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  22:14:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The main character wound up jumping ahead like 150 or 200 years. He was around before Netheril's fall, and then he somehow got kicked forward in time to well afterward.

I don't remember any details -- I've not read the books in years, partially because they weren't that hot, and partially because of elements like that same character's girlfriend conveniently getting reincarnated in the same timeframe.

Wow, it's funny what you forget about a story after a few decades.

Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2015 :  04:14:54  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When drizzt was trapped in that magical forest for 18 years , was that time travel or hibernation ?

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2015 :  09:21:38  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berkthgar

When drizzt was trapped in that magical forest for 18 years , was that time travel or hibernation ?

I guess you could call it hibernation. It's more about alterable time on certain planes. Drizzt and his companions were sent to Iruladoon, a demiplane where time is considerably sped up relative to the Material Plane.

Regis and Cattie-brie were in Iruladoon for decades, but it only felt like weeks to them.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000