Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Not so dead gods........
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  13:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

When 3ed ended the spellplague killed off quite a few deities (Mystra, The drow pantheon) Helm....., demoted a few deities (mainly the elemental deities) and added a few deities (Asmodeous)

Then the Sundering brought some of them back

Anyone able to confirm whose come back and whose still dead?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  13:35:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra, Helm, Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, Mask, Lathander, Bhaal have been explicitly confirmed to be alive after/during the Sundering. Nobanion has been healed from that Spellplague insanity.

Azuth appears to be alive in Erin Evan's latest novel and Tyr is back as well (Ed mentioned it in his scroll, IIRC).

There are quite a lot of formely dead gods mentioned in the 5e PHB (Myrkul, Leira for example), so they should be alive as well, but that hasn't explicitly been confirmed yet.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Aug 2015 14:43:13
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  13:40:13  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they bring back Moander.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  13:43:46  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I'm wondering is are the LONG dead gods coming back? Like the original Re (That also depends of course on Mulhorand coming back or not), the Untheri gods that got killed in the orcgate wars (same sitiation as Re), Auppenser (please, please, please be back, also we don't know what happened to him while Mystra was out of the picture).

I mean is there a set limit of time after which we won't see a deity come back or do all of them get a respawn?
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:27:16  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually wish they would bring back Mystryl as a Neutral Goddess.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:27:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

His death had nothing to do with the Spellplague; he died during the 2E era.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:32:35  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

His death had nothing to do with the Spellplague; he died during the 2E era.

Oh I know. I just liked the god and figured why not bring him back when they are bringing back so many others. His body still floats around in the astral plain as well as his body on Moander's Hill.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Mystra, Helm, Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, Mask, Lathander, Bhaal have been explicitly confirmed to be alive after/during the Sundering. Nobanion has been healed from that Spellplague insanity.

Azuth appears to be alive in Erin Evan's latest novel.

There are quite a lot of formely dead gods mentioned in the 5e PHB (Myrkul, Leira for example), so they should be alive as well, but that hasn't explicitly been confirmed yet.

You know I could kind of see Mykrul trying to take over Faerun side of the Eminence of Araunt after Abeir is seperated from Toril again

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  15:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im currently rolling through the old 2ed F&A, P&P and DhD and the 3ed books to see if theres any material for Monk and Paladin orders for deities that couldnt have them due to the now obsolete Monk/Paladin Alignment restrictions.

Think Ill treat 2ed Crusaders as 5ed Paladins

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  15:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im currently rolling through the old 2ed F&A, P&P and DhD and the 3ed books to see if theres any material for Monk and Paladin orders for deities that couldnt have them due to the now obsolete Monk/Paladin Alignment restrictions.

That's kinda what I'm doing. I'm not treating the title of Paladin as a class, but rather an ideal aspired to by people who take the Paladin class. To achieve Paladinhood, you must not only uphold your oath according to the 5e mechanics, but you must also hold yourself to a LG alignment that embodies your oath, your god, and the laws of the land. It's a very difficult, if not impossible goal to achieve. This works for me, as in my opinion, a true Paladin isn't a common thing.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  16:41:09  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

That's kinda what I'm doing. I'm not treating the title of Paladin as a class, but rather an ideal aspired to by people who take the Paladin class. To achieve Paladinhood, you must not only uphold your oath according to the 5e mechanics, but you must also hold yourself to a LG alignment that embodies your oath, your god, and the laws of the land. It's a very difficult, if not impossible goal to achieve. This works for me, as in my opinion, a true Paladin isn't a common thing.

I like that approach to paladins a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  16:55:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no such thing as a 'dead god'. There are gods who enter into a stasis-like coma - even for aeons and aeons - but they can be revived, so long as someone, somewhere starts to worship them again. Think of them as engines that have run out of fuel. An engine doesn't just disappear - it can sit there practically forever (in a protected vacuum, lol) and still work as soon as it gets some 'gas'.

Its not so different for mortals, except that a mortal 'soul' can eventually deteriorate into nothingness. However, so long as someone is still thinking about that dead person (which is a form of worship), that soul will still receive energy and be able to stay viable. The whole reason why souls 'fade' is because no-one remembers them anymore.

Just my philosophical thoughts on the matter. Its nice when I can take some of my RW beliefs and use them as a 'fix' for quirky rules/canon. I don't really worry about which deities are dead and which are alive that way - even if one was in the coma-state, some other deity could be using it as an alias, or just siphoning-off the energy going toward it.

As for the OP, I think we are going to see the original (1e) pantheon, with all new adds still in place (including guys like Asmodeus and Zehir). Thats just me drawing conclusions, nothing 'canon'. They can accomplish this by simply getting rid of that post-ToT ruling by Ao (one god per portfolio). That never really made much sense anyway (Not in FR, least-ways). It may get a little weird with the 4e lore that 'some gods were really other gods' thing, but we can just chalk that up to 'mortal ignorance' (both IG, and RW).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  16:59:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but a god can die for practical purposes. If a god is dead, then it means that WotC is most likely not going to produce any lore or story about them, that their influence won't be felt on the ''present setting''. That's why people care about gods not being, as you say, in a comatose state.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11734 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  01:50:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Mystra's back, but I'd really like to see her make alliances with some deities who server other gods in order to protect herself. For instance, offering the red knight to be a goddess of spell strategy... offering Deneir a role as god of symbol magic... offering Milil a role as god of song magic... Lurue as a goddess of protection & animal magic.... etc... (along with Azuth, Savras, Velsharoon, Leira, Auppenser in their traditional roles) and thereby making these deities have somewhat more control over these types of magic (how doesn't have to be spelled out). It would serve to split the pantheon a bit where all these lesser deities now serve multiple masters (like Velsharoon was doing with Mystra and Talos).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  03:20:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword Coast Adventurers Guide will have a full list of Gods, including those who have returned from the dead! This is according to Dragon+ .
Go to Top of Page

Widu
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  21:19:32  Show Profile Send Widu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've not paid much attention to the Realms the past 8 years or so, but I've been catching up lately. Don't particularly want Moander back, but I suppose I can live withit if he/it leaves Finder alone (whom I actually really like, despite or maybe because he doesn't fit the standard ascended mortal mold

Anyway, I can see how worshipers of goodly dead gods keep hanging on to their deity to provide a base of followers and eventually allow the dead god to return... but why would followers of Moander or Bhaal do the same? Not out of compassion, surely, and a dead power doesn't grant spells plus they might be considered false or faithless after death.

So why would they make an effort? :/

~ It is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. ~
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  21:27:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Widu

Well, I've not paid much attention to the Realms the past 8 years or so, but I've been catching up lately. Don't particularly want Moander back, but I suppose I can live withit if he/it leaves Finder alone (whom I actually really like, despite or maybe because he doesn't fit the standard ascended mortal mold

Anyway, I can see how worshipers of goodly dead gods keep hanging on to their deity to provide a base of followers and eventually allow the dead god to return... but why would followers of Moander or Bhaal do the same? Not out of compassion, surely, and a dead power doesn't grant spells plus they might be considered false or faithless after death.

People worship way more than a single deity in the Realms. Individuals may follow a deity more closely than they do for others, but followers of a single god(dess) are very rare.

Edited by - Irennan on 08 Sep 2015 21:29:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  23:27:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Their prayers may still be answered by another power... Lolth, for example, has been granting prayers in Moander's name.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  02:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope they leave Amaunator alive and well. I honestly can't stand Lathander and replaced him back during my 3.5E campaign. I kicked him down to the status of a solar, I believe.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  05:00:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I just hope they leave Amaunator alive and well. I honestly can't stand Lathander and replaced him back during my 3.5E campaign. I kicked him down to the status of a solar, I believe.

...And I go the other way, here. I've never liked Amaunator, but Lathander is one of my faves.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  13:07:03  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They already stated in The Reaver that Amaunator is just a name Lathander takes when he thinks the world needs more order and stabiity.

I like to imagine him to appear like lathander with a ridiclous fake moustache

Edited by - Mirtek on 09 Sep 2015 13:26:51
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  18:09:06  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole Lathandar = Amaunator thing was really disappointing IMO.

I very much like Amaunator, mostly from what I know of the deity in the cRPG Baldur's Gate series. Lathander always seemed okay, if a bit boring. Smashing them together just never seemed to fit, and didn't seem like an organic change pushed by the needs of mortal worship.

Then again, I never much liked the Dawn-Highsun-Dusk tripartite deity heresy anyway. It seemed forced, trying to "explain" something that didn't really need explaining, changing the backstory of multiple deities for no reason other than it seemed cool to certain people on the design team. It didn't really solve any problems or enrich the setting IMO.

Thing is, Amaunator HAD rituals (per the cRPG) for dawn, highsun, and dusk anyway. Because those rituals exist, it doesn't really make sense that he is only the High Sun aspect of a tripartite deity.

IMO it was just a kludge that never really fit, but was forced.

I'd prefer for Lathander and Amaunator to be shown as separate, individual entities in 5E. I know that won't happen, but for my own personal game they'll never be the same deity.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 09 Sep 2015 18:13:49
Go to Top of Page

Widu
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  19:05:25  Show Profile Send Widu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose worship is enough then, not necessarily having the dead power for a patron.

As far as I know, the whole aspect thing was presented as 'scholars (or clerics) have found out....' so there's a backdoor that can get you Lathander As well as Amaunator, I'd say.

Anyway, if they are both selectable from the phb list, shouln't current FR actively offer both gods as an option? It's what I always liked about the realms anyway - the many gods.

And yeah, I like Finder, both as one of the few interesting FR novel heroes and as a demigod that is nicely breaking the 'ascended mortal' mold, so I really don't want the silly garbage heap killing him back... but I have no trouble seeing them co-exist. Though probably not liking each other overmuch

Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  20:11:11  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's never really bothered me when Deities are combined, split, killed, returned, etc. Primarily because of Wooly's point regarding deities answering prayers in the names of other deities, since that implies that literally all deities claims regarding their aspects or identities are suspect... And the constant changes between editions, contradictions and heresy concepts that crop up seem reflective of how earth's religions & myths are constantly changed, combined, rewritten, reinterpreted, etc...

...as far as my own heretical speculations on Lathander & Finder go...
I think it's possible that Lathander is only partly correct about his claim, and that he is actually only a portion of Amaunator (kinda like Tymora & Beshaba being the result of Tyche). And I think it would be interesting if Finder became cursed as a result of absorbing Moander, similar to the how King Midas turned everything he touched into gold... Except of course, Finder would have "Moander's Touch" instead of the "Midas Touch".

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Widu
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  20:49:15  Show Profile Send Widu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I understand the idea, it's just that apart from me rather liking Finder, and wanting him not to end up too badly cause I liked the books too... the whole thing of not so dead gods returning through their would be successors is kind of getting meh. I'd hoped for something more epic for Bhaal's return too, something tied to this Sundering maybe - worlds separating, heavens opening, rains of blood and thunder and guess who's back

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  20:56:32  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a little ridiculous that for the Sundering, something SO IMPORTANT and momentous, that 99% of Realms citizens had no idea it was happening.

If you're living in some backwater town, and some sage was saying "The WORLDS moved apart and..." you'd probably think they were nuts.

And the reality is, if you read all the books and material about it, as a reader/gamer you still have no idea when it happened, or even what happened beyond a few scattered details.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  21:28:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd hoped for something more epic for Bhaal's return too, something tied to this Sundering maybe - worlds separating, heavens opening, rains of blood and thunder and guess who's back

That sounds delicious. The Realms needs more Bhaal. Bane too.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  21:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still feel like I don't know anything about this Sundering.

Btw do we know if Beshaba is around?
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  22:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe they just made Amaunator and Lathander one and the same, operating under an alias. We seemingly have the Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines in him. That makes me tired, somehow.

I liked the 2E book Faiths and Pantheons that mentioned his body floating around in the Astral Plane. I also was one that enjoyed the Baldur's Gate game where you dealt with him and learned about him. I used all of that, along with an artifact sword that I made, to enact his return and knock Lathander down in status.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  23:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't believe they just made Amaunator and Lathander one and the same, operating under an alias. We seemingly have the Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines in him. That makes me tired, somehow.

I liked the 2E book Faiths and Pantheons that mentioned his body floating around in the Astral Plane. I also was one that enjoyed the Baldur's Gate game where you dealt with him and learned about him. I used all of that, along with an artifact sword that I made, to enact his return and knock Lathander down in status.

I like the 2e version of Amaunator as a dead god, but I also liked the Amaunator-into-Lathander Heresy from 3e. (Granted, to me, that's as far as it ever went. I preferred Lathander.) It gives options to gaming groups if they want to put in just a little bit of work to make their version of the Realms unique.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  23:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I still feel like I don't know anything about this Sundering.

Btw do we know if Beshaba is around?

Shes listed in the players handbook on page 294

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly