Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 3.5 Paladin and Monk multi-classing for Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farhorizon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  02:25:33  Show Profile Send farhorizon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am DM'ing in a multi-DM environment & I am not interpreting the multi classing rules quite the same as other DMs. I'm curious to know what the generally accepted interpretation is.

1) You can take any classes you want initially and may multi-class into Monk or Paladin without any restriction. After this if you take another non-Monk or non-Paladin class, then you can no longer take further Monk or Paladin levels (except where specified by certain orders).

OR

2) If you have existing classes, you cannot multi-class into Monk or Paladin unless the classes you have already chosen match the classes specified as acceptable multi-class options by the Monk or Paladin order your character would be joining.

Thank you for your consideration!

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  10:57:49  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, #1 is how I read the multi-classing restriction on paladins & monks. It is the interpretation that hews closest to the direct quotation of the rule in the books. I won't speak for anyone else nor should my interpretation be considered what is generally accepted as I have no information about this practice outside a handful of other gamemasters.

I also consider that rule to be needlessly restrictive and something which needs to be cast into the trash can before the game begins. The only thing that should matter to being a paladin is the motivation for the actions of the paladin. 3rd Ed makes sure paladins, like fighters, have no aggregate of skills that would help in their missions (only 2 skill points per level for the average paladin). Many of the skills necessary to covertly infiltrate deep into enemy held territory, rally a militia into a stalwart defense line, or manage a temple/outpost/land in the allocation of manpower & resources fall under the ranger, bard, rogue, and aristocrat classes. Taking one or more levels in these other classes (training and developing these skills and abilities) does not mean the PC in question has abandoned their god and their faith if that effort is aimed at improving the effectiveness of the paladin. After all, there is no such restriction on clerics and druids despite the fact that these classes are supposedly dedicated to their god(s) and held to an ethos set forth by their deit(y/ies).

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  14:05:02  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interpretation #1 is the one that matches the Forgotten Realms rulebooks in 3rd edition...
I will also echo SaMoCon's comments. After playing an extensive amount of 3rd Edition games, I found zero instances where restrictions on multi-classing served any worthwhile purpose. Especially with the constant additions of classes and prestige classes in the various sourcebooks, it ultimately became meaningless. The characters that I saw extensively multi-classing (3 or more classes) ended up being on a fools errand, and were weaker than the focused characters (1 or 2 classes) that adopted a prestige class, over the long run.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4435 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2015 :  21:29:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

Interpretation #1 is the one that matches the Forgotten Realms rulebooks in 3rd edition...
I will also echo SaMoCon's comments. After playing an extensive amount of 3rd Edition games, I found zero instances where restrictions on multi-classing served any worthwhile purpose. Especially with the constant additions of classes and prestige classes in the various sourcebooks, it ultimately became meaningless. The characters that I saw extensively multi-classing (3 or more classes) ended up being on a fools errand, and were weaker than the focused characters (1 or 2 classes) that adopted a prestige class, over the long run.

This is my experience as well, as it pertains to 3rd Edition anyways. In some extreme cases I've seen 3 - 4 different class "dips" but it's mostly for cherry-picking front loaded classes. For example a human lion-totem barbarian 2 (pounce, rage, & uncanny dodge + d12 HD and 4+Int skills x 4 at 1st level) then Fighter 1 or 2 (bonus feats) then Cleric 1 (turn attempts, cleric wands) then finally Paladin 3 (divine grace, divine health). What you end up with is a character with BAB of 7, Good Fort and Will saves and adding Charisma to all saves, immunity to all diseases, and can get feats that are based off of Turning Attempts, not to mention 6 feats.

So #1 would be the correct answer, though there is still a restriction since they still have to be Lawful Good to enter Paladin and any Lawful to enter Monk.

Edited by - Diffan on 02 Jun 2015 21:30:42
Go to Top of Page

farhorizon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2015 :  03:16:09  Show Profile Send farhorizon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your help with this!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000