Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Happy Birthday Candlekeep!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  11:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Indeed, 'tis the 5th birthday anniversary of Candlekeep today. This site was launched on 9th March 1999.

On behalf of all Head Scribes of Candlekeep, thank ye all for your support and contributions over the years, and heres to the next five years making the library grow into an even greater haven of Realmslore.

::raises his glass::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  12:54:42  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Steals a glass from the inn and raises it as well::

Hear hear!

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  14:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so whos got the birthday cake?!

I sure dont even the Cardinal with his cleaning duties after the mess left after the birthday party!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  14:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Conjures a crystal glass::

And may this fine establishment of learning endure as the sands of time itself!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  15:02:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats to the site and all who supported it. Here's to at least five more years.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  15:15:26  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I may be considered what some people call a "newbie", I have to admit that I am honored to learn in such an old and honored faculty. May these Halls of Learning be blessed by Oghma forevermore...
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  17:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>Narad stands up from his seat>
I have not been here for long, yet I rejoice for all those five years that Candlekeep has been within everyones reach bringing knowledge to all those intrested in lore about this great realm. So on my behalf:
>Coughs a little bit, then with a clear voice starts singing 'Happy birthday' to candlekeep. Just before the last lines of the song Narad yells: Everyone! and all those present join in his song.>
HAppy Birthday from Finland!
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  17:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ezindir fills his pipe with some kind of tobaccothis one is for Candlekeep. Happy Birthday!

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  19:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Candlekeep! Much has been beheld in your Fair halls, from Drow, Psycopathic dwarves, Demons, Cultists, Dragons to Norwegians !

For the Good Memories!
For the Fond Memories!
And to the Future!
Slŕinte mhňr agad! (Cheers!)

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  22:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a lot of mixes to.

Anyway, since this is the first birthday candlekeep have had while I was here:

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthay to you!
Happ birthday to dear Candlekeep!
Happy birthday to you!

Ezindir takes a bottle of some drink unknown to him and emptyies it, WHHOOAAAA!

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 09 Mar 2004 22:11:12
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  00:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed!

Happy Birthday, Candlekeep, and to the tireless work of it's head moderator, Alaundo......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  01:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, 5 years. I had no idea ths place was that old. Most websites of this ilk don't last more than a few, usually.
A testament to all those who keep this place up and running so smoothly day after day.

Yasraena conjures a tall fluted glass of champagne and raises it in toast...
"Ulu Candlekeep! Xal ilta doboren tlu rin'ov pahntar!
Loff'ta nos'tangi!"

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  01:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ke. Usstan brorn ka nindol k'lar orn vaen jalbyr huela drasven. Er'griff draeval orn tesso...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  02:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*holds up a glass of wine* Here Here! Happy Birthday Candlekeep! (sorry if its late...I have terrible timing). ^_^

~Sadie

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  02:24:29  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Five years? That is a long time to be around.... but Candlekeep is eternal!
And although this is cause for celebration... we warn all thee that should you get carried away and make a large mess to clean...

* In a quick motion Deimos draws several cleaning items from inside his robes*

Items used for cleaning can be just as devastating as a broadsword or great axe.... Still enjoy thyselves... but show respect for those who must clean. Cheers!

*Quickly stashs his 'Weapons of Mass Sanitation' () and raises a wine glass in toast*

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  03:21:01  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

And Blessing on your Birthday, even if it is a little late! May you be blessed with many more joyful and learned years.

-Fireheart ::raises her glass::

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  03:42:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ezindir the dark

And a lot of mixes to.

Anyway, since this is the first birthday candlekeep have had while I was here:

I knew someone would break out the birthday song. Although, if the Candlekeep site could sing, My way would definitely be a good song for this moment.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  05:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Ok, so whos got the birthday cake?!

Not me. I didn't even get one for my own.

quote:

I sure dont even the Cardinal with his cleaning duties after the mess left after the birthday party!

I think someone spiked Rad's punch. It took me about a minute to figure that one out.

Still, I think I'll gift Cardinal with a wand of unseen servant for him to use in his duties.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  06:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday, Candlekeep...
*drowns a cup of wine, and then returns to work...*
Eldath, walk among the warriors...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  08:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

I think someone spiked Rad's punch. It took me about a minute to figure that one out.

::hic:: OOps, too much mead, I meant to say that I "sure dont ENVY..." ::hic::

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  08:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I didn't know this site was 5 years old. Happy Birthday. Hope you saved me a piece of cake.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  10:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Interesting. I didn't know this site was 5 years old. Happy Birthday. Hope you saved me a piece of cake.

Obf corbse Libna ::stuffs the last of the cake into his mouth, cheeks bulging::

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  13:29:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To make this grand celebration complete, I've been trying to contact (besides those of us who still regularly visit) some of the first scribes who ever entered these halls of knowledge. Some haven't return my emails, and two were struck with such surprise that this site was still up and running that they promised to stop by before the end of the week just to see it with their own eyes...

So, if it's not too much trouble, Rad, Lina, and you too Cardinal...Do you think that you can leave some cake and and a little wine for those scribes still to arrive...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

To make this grand celebration complete, I've been trying to contact (besides those of us who still regularly visit) some of the first scribes who ever entered these halls of knowledge. Some haven't return my emails, and two were struck with such surprise that this site was still up and running that they promised to stop by before the end of the week just to see it with their own eyes...

So, if it's not too much trouble, Rad, Lina, and you too Cardinal...Do you think that you can leave some cake and and a little wine for those scribes still to arrive...?

Shucks! If only Frey were here....I recall that her cakes kept many scribes happy in days of old

Who have you tried (and suceeded) in contacting, Sage?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  14:38:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad, if you look over the 'Members' listing, and sort by 'Date', those scribes who signed up (and continued to post semi-regularly between August 2002 and December 2002 are the ones that I tried to contact.

Looking through my email, I've just received two more replies. I'll wait until tomorrow before listing those I contacted specifically...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  16:24:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Looking through my email, I've just received two more replies. I'll wait until tomorrow before listing those I contacted specifically...

Did you get any more replies? This was a really good idea by the way. Good job.
Go to Top of Page

Purple_Faerie Goddess
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  19:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Purple_Faerie Goddess's Homepage Send Purple_Faerie Goddess a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Suddenly glasse start falling over and a peice of cake flies across the room hitting the wall behind Cardinal Deimos. Unfortunately, no one could be blamed for the culprit was not seen.*
'Ah, I do so enjoy a celebration. Happy Birthday CandleKeep. I hope you have plenty more to come.'
*Raises glass in a toast.*
'Deimos I think someone has just made a mess for you to clean up.'

*More cake starts flying around the room by an unseen hand*
'I think someone is trying to start a food fight.'
*A peice of cake suddenly hits Deimos squarely in the face*
'I think I'll have another glass of wine.'
*chuckles*

'May all your days be filled with faery magick.'
'It wasn't me, I swear.'
'There is neither evil or good. There is only me.'
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  03:37:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Did you get any more replies? This was a really good idea by the way. Good job.

Unfortunately no, I did not. Most of the replies I did receive seem to indicate that those email address were simply not valid anymore. Of those I did hear back from, were, among others...the aforementioned Frey, Bragi, Solmyr, and The Great Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  12:26:44  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Unfortunately no, I did not. Most of the replies I did receive seem to indicate that those email address were simply not valid anymore. Of those I did hear back from, were, among others...the aforementioned Frey, Bragi, Solmyr, and The Great Drizzt.

The limited response may not be a bad thing. I'd hate to think that your e-mail had encouraged King Tiax to return
Go to Top of Page

Sirine
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  15:23:24  Show Profile  Visit Sirine's Homepage Send Sirine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirine runs in, gasping and panting, having run from someplace really really really far...

"H-ha-Happy birthday!!"

She uncerimouniously collapses from exhaustion.

Cheers, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  00:47:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:

The limited response may not be a bad thing. I'd hate to think that your e-mail had encouraged King Tiax to return

Indeed...

In fact, I had made a conscious effort to ensure that my emails only went out to those scribes who had contributed (sensibly) to Candlekeep in some degree. I did this mainly in hopes of preventing such an occurence, like the return of King Tiax...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000