Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I think "Rage of Demons" would have been better if
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  23:49:30  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten
Theoretically, Lolth's hands should be somewhat tied, because with the new Tablets of Fate, gods aren't supposed to exert too much influence on Faerun. So she can't just send an avatar to battle them.

Exactly how the sundering effects the deities ability to influence the Realms is very vague. The main take away I got from most of the sundering campaign relating to the deities is that WotC won't be having them randomly killed of at every turn. Also, all of the realms deities are either back or their fate will be left vague enough that you can easily use them in your homebrew campaign.

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan
Meh, I don't see a problem with that (unless he and his friends directly faced the demon princes and banished them, in which case it would be a bit ridiculous IMO, and the people who like call him a Mary Sue would be totally right in doing so).

I think the Archmage starts the event.

Also, the companions defeating one of the demon princes isn't really that unreasonable in 5e(or 4e for that matter). The princes of elemental evil range from CR 18-20 and Tiamat is rated at a CR 30. My guess is that the demon princes will be between 18 and 30 based on how powerful the prince is. Spoilers: at the end of Princes of the Apocalypse the PCs(lv 15) face off and have a decent shot of defeating one of the elemental princes. I would consider Drizzt and Bruenor to be higher level than 15 and most of the rest of the companions to be around that level(and they have significantly better magic items than the PCs are likely to have). I just can't see how doing something PCs are perfectly capable merits the Mary Sue whining.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  02:22:03  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on what power they will give to the Demon princes. If Asmodeus is comparable to a lesser power, then I guess that the demon princes will be something like demipowers.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  15:16:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the lands between the Sword Coast and Cormyr (The Western Heartlands) seems to be the focus of the 4e/5e adventures and time period. Perhaps we will see other areas down the road, but right now everything seems to be concentrated around there.

I completely understand their reasoning - they need to bring RPG fans back to The Realms, and they need focus to do that - its still too early in the 'rebirth' to start wandering far from the 'start area' yet. It will only cause confusion and angst amongst new fans who would then have to figure out how to get their group over to some other region - The Realms are HUGE.

If we all do a little 'hand-holding' for awhile and nurture these new fans, it will be possible we get what WE want... eventually.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 May 2015 15:40:44
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  18:36:38  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if we will see the wider Realms or smaller stories if the current Sword Coast only, massive threats only adventures are successful. It could easily become a positive feedback loop: massive world ending threats in the Sword Coast prove successful, so further adventures follow the same premise of massive world ending threats set in the familiar region, which if successful will further cement the idea that these stories are the ones worth doing (and from a business sense, it could be that they are, though that would be disappointing). It'll also tie in easier to their MMORPG, which seems important to them, and the factions for their organized play league. An adventure in, say, Calimshan, Thay, Kara Tur, or any other region far from the Sword Coast wouldn't easily fit the factions for their organized play league or with the Neverwinter MMO.

It's possible they might eventually abandon their multiple platform, organized play tie in approach on some of their future adventures, or publish non-adventure supplements, but if so they haven't shown any indication of it yet. If every storyline they do must be multi-platform and they only publish storyline material I am not all that confident we will see all the many other areas of the Realms expanded on.

Edited by - idilippy on 13 May 2015 18:38:31
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  23:11:20  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rolls eyes at the insistent whiners
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000