Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cheating ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  12:00:40  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it just me or do threads like this:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1865

annoy other DMs as well.

I don't believe that the poster in question was looking for anything specific to the module in question, but it is inexcusable that other, more experienced players (and DMs) have answered in the way they have.

There are other sites that people can visit to get information they shouldn't have. Please, let's not allow Candlekeep to degenerate - if a player asks these questions, don't give away information you wouldn't want your players to know.

Edited by - kahonen on 07 Mar 2004 12:05:01

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  16:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kahonen, I'd agree with you. If a player is really that stuck in making a character the DM should provide help. At the same time as you state the object of the game is to make a character and fit him into it. One of my best characters was a charlatan type thief, but as we where playing a 'wilderness' campaign, there was very little need for his abilities. Still I continued playing him, finding the task of trying not to get him killed really awarding. Players, who read modules ahead of time to gain an insight, are losing the best part of the game, the obstacles and problems to be over come.
Also what do you do if a player already has played a module that your running- In my group anyone who mentions game information that they're character couldn't possibly know, its an XP deduction. Also when starting out at low levels our adventurers don't automatically know that trolls are venerable to fire etc etc... We once ran across a stream to get away from three because 'Trolls can't cross running water' . Hahaha
Another solution for this happening or indeed a player already playing a module is changing little aspects about the module, i.e. NPC names, NPC placements, small encounters which don't affect the story line. This can leave malicious characters running around in circles. And especially evil one is to swap the 'evil' opponents name with a allied NPC, and watch the Players face as he realises he's killed the wrong guy...

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  16:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't consider that to be cheating, but I fully understand where you are coming from. He wasn't asking for how to survive, just what sort of character fit that modual best. I thought that he should just do it himself, and not ask for help, but I was interested to see what would result from it.

Of course, Arivia's suggestions were far too much. I'd never give that sort of information out, since that actually does defeat the purpose of the game. (No insult intended, Arivia.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000