Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  15:19:56  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think you could upgrade the search function on the forums, so that it gives you the page/the post containing the words?

On big threads like the "Questions for" scrolling through all of them to find the reference is quite tedious.

Thanks.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  18:14:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Do you think you could upgrade the search function on the forums, so that it gives you the page/the post containing the words?

On big threads like the "Questions for" scrolling through all of them to find the reference is quite tedious.

Thanks.

I'll concur with that.

I should also like to see the time/date stamp changed per each user's time zone. That way, if I make a post at 5 PM my time, it lists as being posted at 5 PM. Someone in another time zone would see it relative to their time...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  10:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks.

Well met

Hmmmmmm, indeed a good point, Sarelle. I'll certainly look into this possibility.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  10:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thanks.

I'll concur with that.

I should also like to see the time/date stamp changed per each user's time zone. That way, if I make a post at 5 PM my time, it lists as being posted at 5 PM. Someone in another time zone would see it relative to their time...

Well met

Great Gond! Thou surest request the impossible, Wooly Rupert Alas, this feat is not possible, unfortunately we can only work from a single clock device herein.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  11:18:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Great Gond! Thou surest request the impossible, Wooly Rupert Alas, this feat is not possible, unfortunately we can only work from a single clock device herein.

Really? I know I've seen other forums do that, so whatever software they use does obviously allow it...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  13:31:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Really? I know I've seen other forums do that, so whatever software they use does obviously allow it...

No idea on the software either. However, I've also seen other forums with this ability.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  01:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

No idea on the software either. However, I've also seen other forums with this ability.

I'd think it would be easy to implement-a quick hack here, one there...
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  07:59:59  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you on this one, there have been many times when I could post good answers to topics that were not FR related but still pertinent, but the wrath of Alaundo is not worth it.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I would like to see a forum where people could chat about non-FR related topics. I think that would be quite enjoyable. Or perhaps just another forum where other WotC worlds, could be discussed.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  09:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

I agree with you on this one, there have been many times when I could post good answers to topics that were not FR related but still pertinent, but the wrath of Alaundo is not worth it.

Well met, Valdar Oakensong

Such a place now exists to the discussion of other worlds - try the Worlds of Dungeons and Dragons.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  12:08:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...

I seen that we may soon have a new citizen over at Worlds...

Excellent .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  13:03:22  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to suggest a chat room but I see that's already in the pipes. Good news, may I enquire as to the format it will take since I don't recall reading about it before? IRC, AIM, Java?

Also, I know it's not 'really' a site upgarde, but what about a Candlekeep newsletters? If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I can give some more details, but newsletters are great fun, and a great addition to a site I think.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  13:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

I was going to suggest a chat room but I see that's already in the pipes. Good news, may I enquire as to the format it will take since I don't recall reading about it before? IRC, AIM, Java?

Also, I know it's not 'really' a site upgarde, but what about a Candlekeep newsletters? If anyone thinks this is a good idea, I can give some more details, but newsletters are great fun, and a great addition to a site I think.

Well met

It has not yet been decided as to the method for the chat room, but we're always open to suggestions and recommendations.

As for your other suggestion of the newsletter... what sort of content are you proposing? I have wanted to put together a periodical newsletter for Candlekeep for some time, alas I often see similar ideas launched only to fail after few issues

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 25 Aug 2004 13:48:59
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  08:00:01  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alaundo, once again your knowledge astounds me. I sha;ll go and register right away.

quote:

Well met, Valdar Oakensong

Such a place now exists to the discussion of other worlds - try the Worlds of Dungeons and Dragons.

Edited by - Alaundo on 26 Aug 2004 11:12:31
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  11:01:38  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it wont be weekly or anything quite so regular since as you say not that much is going on that's 'new'

But for some ideas:

- Each time TSR, WotC, DnD, whatever its called releases a novel or campaign book or something we can post a little newsletter with some links and some pics and some info on it. (maybe ever charge WotC for advertising) Did I say that?

- Every time there are site updates, such as we've just had or there's a new feature, we could point to it.

- Ed Greenwood's fantastic intro could be a good start of the newsletter idea.

- Lots of concept art and pictures. That's what people really want, high visual content (IMO anyway)

- As well, I wasn't thinking too much on new content, but more we use the 'normal' day-to-day newsletters as an education means. We include realmslore from the main site, a little bit at a time, with some themes and so on. Just send realmslore we have to make up the rest. People are more likely to read it and learn if we send it to them than if they have to go find it themselves.

Just a few ideas...

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  11:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Great ideas, MuadDib, I can almost picture it now

I would indeed be good to produce periodical newsletters of such, say in PDF format and provide a means for others to submit material to the newsletter. There is often new lore and ideas being submitted to the forums herein which could be included.

Of course, many hands would be needed for this venture. I'm quite eager to hear of any other ideas fellow scribes may have and if any are interested in helping in the production of such.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  14:40:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'd be interested in helping to put something like this together.

As for possible ideas on it's content, why not resurrect our old idea about the Current Clack update. Most of the ideas we put forth for those columns are still fairly relevant for this periodical, we'd simply need to narrow the focus a little... Depending upon the rate of publishing for each issue, a team of scribes could be set to write about one particular period of the Realms calendar, perhaps monthly.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  16:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Splendid, Sage. Thank ye.
I have penned a new scroll to continue discussions on this potential newsletter

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  15:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo, I noticed on your "Future Site Developments" scroll that The Candlekeep Magic Shop is still listed as the old name The Sage's Magic Shop. I just wanted to let you know so you could change that.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  18:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Alaundo, I noticed on your "Future Site Developments" scroll that The Candlekeep Magic Shop is still listed as the old name The Sage's Magic Shop. I just wanted to let you know so you could change that.

Well met

Ahh, well spotted, Woof Elf Ranger. Thank ye. It had been changed in the "Upcoming Features" list but not on the "Ongoing" list. 'tis now done, however, as well as a new item or two added.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  23:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Alaundo

Excellent new material is always good Nice to see that Candlekeep is forever growing and adapting. Things are always interesting here at the 'Keep

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  20:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found out about this UnCon event over at WotC.
Why don't we do something similar here? Nothing so complicated as they have perhaps just a few simple contests for best types of characters, artwork, items, and other things specifically for the Realms. I know it would be a lot of work setting something like that up but it would be a lot of fun too

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

LaughingWizard
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  13:13:02  Show Profile  Visit LaughingWizard's Homepage Send LaughingWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met Again to All! I too, would like to see a chat room of some sort. Posting is a lonely thing to do and sometimes one wishes for other "birds of a feather" to talk to.

Another thing I'd like to see on the site, though I'm not sure where It'd be appropriate is a sort of "Where are they now?" forum about some of the original TSR personalities and designers. I'm a history buff--whatever happened to guys like Lawrence Schick, E. Gary Gygax, Deisel, Dave Arneson and others? Any thoughts anyone?

Wooly Rupert--Good idea about the time zones. What zone is Candlekeep in anyway?

Wiz in the Northlands.

A woman, or a man, may come to hold many treasures in life. Gold, gems, a good name, lovers, good friends, influence, high rank--all of these are of value. All of these most covet. But of them all the most valuable, I tell ye, are friends good and true. Have these, and ye will scarce notice the lack if ye never win aught else."

The adventuress Sharanralee, Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road, Year of the Wandering Maiden
From Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  16:38:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LaughingWizard
Wooly Rupert--Good idea about the time zones. What zone is Candlekeep in anyway?

The Danger Zone <cue Kenny Loggins>
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  18:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LaughingWizard

Well Met Again to All! I too, would like to see a chat room of some sort. Posting is a lonely thing to do and sometimes one wishes for other "birds of a feather" to talk to.

Another thing I'd like to see on the site, though I'm not sure where It'd be appropriate is a sort of "Where are they now?" forum about some of the original TSR personalities and designers. I'm a history buff--whatever happened to guys like Lawrence Schick, E. Gary Gygax, Deisel, Dave Arneson and others? Any thoughts anyone?

Wiz in the Northlands.

Well met, LaughingWizard

Aye, a chat room facility has been requested before, and has not been ruled out. We hit a brick wall on this some time back, but I intend to get back on the case soon.

As for the time zone, Candlekeep is set for GMT.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:46:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I found out recently and would hope could be changed from current set up.

Persistant sigs.

When I frist arived I used a simple quote of somebody a few years ago, I changed it to something more Realms revelent and used for many of my posts. I considered and entered a thrid sid and even before I saw something to post to in reading a thread that I had posted to in the past , the new sig was what was displayed. As best I can tell everyone of my posts had this sig change. I would hope that a future develpment would not change in any way past posts , including a sig. Depending on coding system and I know jacascript is part of it such a cjamge might not br easy and certainly can live within the current system. Just a change I would like to see if posible in future site design.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  08:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

One thing I found out recently and would hope could be changed from current set up.

Persistant sigs.

When I frist arived I used a simple quote of somebody a few years ago, I changed it to something more Realms revelent and used for many of my posts. I considered and entered a thrid sid and even before I saw something to post to in reading a thread that I had posted to in the past , the new sig was what was displayed. As best I can tell everyone of my posts had this sig change. I would hope that a future develpment would not change in any way past posts , including a sig. Depending on coding system and I know jacascript is part of it such a cjamge might not br easy and certainly can live within the current system. Just a change I would like to see if posible in future site design.

Well met

In the early days of the forum, a members signature was static and thus was included as part of the actual post. However, as a later update, signatures became dynamic, and thus the signature is pulled in from thy profile - meaning older posts will include thy latest signature.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  08:02:38  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The site is perfect!
OK you update it often enough for me, but you need to do whole new things. Sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  18:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spoiler tag.

Right now, you can ape it by using the beige color tag, so people'd have to highlight to read spoilers. But most people don't seem aware of this, so it'd be nice if a spoiler tag could be added. That is, the tag in question would work this way (without the spaces):

[ spoiler="Spoiler text here" ]Spoiler spoiler spoiler from random books episode. Stuff year date fact character's death by author something or another blah blah squid chocolate. Filler filler filler number etc etc.[/ spoiler ]

It would display this. After the box is clicked, the text is revealed like this. I'm not sure, of course, whether the software used to power this forum allows for such a thing, but hey.

An image tag'd be nice, too, as would a shoutbox that looks like the one no this page though, again, I don't know if Snitz Forums support it (I poked around a bit, and found someone's mod that apparently does it). Regardless, shoutboxes seem to consume quite a bit of CPU power, and probably isn't the healthiest thing to add. In that case, I'd like to know if it's possible to implement a Java applet to simulate IRC (and add a link to an IRC channel on top of the index page)?

Edited by - Winterfox on 05 Jul 2006 18:14:25
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  18:40:43  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a wishlist?!?

I'd like to see a place to dump npc statblocks and sample treasures. Boring but necessary stuff for any DM.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  20:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Good suggestion, Winterfox. Alas the software doesn't have the facility built in, but i'll certainly see about coding it in myself. Don't hold thy breath though, i'll add it to the list

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic