Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  12:35:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Please move the "Reset Form" or "Reset Fields" button away from the "Submit" and "Preview" buttons, or do away with it altogether. It sucks having a lengthy post disappear all in one fell swoop.

There's always the "Undo" command.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  14:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Please move the "Reset Form" or "Reset Fields" button away from the "Submit" and "Preview" buttons, or do away with it altogether. It sucks having a lengthy post disappear all in one fell swoop.

There's always the "Undo" command.

Do stop joking, Dennis, losing a lot of your thoughts is a serious matter!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  16:26:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not joking, Zireael. There really is an "Undo" command. Right-click your mouse and you'll see, or simply press ctrl+z.

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  18:40:15  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a chat-room...... not to be beating a dead horse but..........................

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  23:52:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

How about a chat-room...... not to be beating a dead horse but..........................

John

See the course of the discussion in this scroll:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4526

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  17:28:26  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is it time for another moderator to help out Sage and wooly, there do a great job at the keep under Alundo supervision but there seems to be alot more post then there used to be
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  21:32:27  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they are doing a fine job and seem to be able to handle the volume of posts well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  01:41:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

is it time for another moderator to help out Sage and wooly, there do a great job at the keep under Alundo supervision but there seems to be alot more post then there used to be

I appreciate sentiment, Tremaine, but between myself and Wooly, I feel that we're countering any particular problems that arise within a sufficient time-span.

After all, I'm checking in just about every hour of the day [sometimes more so] except for the five or so hours I'm sleep. And during my time of absence, Wooly's usually checking in because its still daytime in the US, during my night-period. Then we switch... I'm active here while he's usually visiting the sleepy realm.

In other words, there's always one Moderator [though, sometimes both of us will be here at the same time] here once every hour during one twenty-four hour day.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2011 01:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  06:01:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We used to have four of us. :) I stepped down cause the stress was getting to me and it was making me MORE cranky. Ark, well, he stepped down as well.

quote:

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  08:46:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's nice to have no responsibility :)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  09:23:10  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i don't know where you find the time ;-)

for other things away from the keep maybe you could make a time travelling device or clone youself

Edited by - Tremaine on 14 May 2011 10:55:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  13:01:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i don't know where you find the time ;-)

for other things away from the keep maybe you could make a time travelling device or clone youself

It's all about SageTime, my friend.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2011 13:02:19
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  21:54:56  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

John

See the course of the discussion in this scroll:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4526

Thanks.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  05:03:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I suggest the each avatar on the list be used only ONCE. Sometimes several scribes use the same avatar at the same time, which oft leads to confusion...I myself at times get confused who says what, specially if three to four scribes who use the same avatar post in the same thread.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  05:43:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suggest the each avatar on the list be used only ONCE. Sometimes several scribes use the same avatar at the same time, which oft leads to confusion...I myself at times get confused who says what, specially if three to four scribes who use the same avatar post in the same thread.

As I recall, a very slight number of avatars [and, I think, only some of those I've submitted over the years] are actually restricted to either myself or other Mods. Alaundo once toyed with the idea of extending that to some other avatars as well.

However, we all eventually agreed that it was somewhat unfair to bar new scribes from accessing those avatar images that they might like, simply because they joined later than other scribes who had already selected those images.

And that's a policy I agree with. Sure, it can be confusing to tell scribes apart, especially if you're only glancing at their avatar images, but that's also why we have usernames as well.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  06:59:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To regulate who uses what avatar seems rather control freakish to me.

Dennis are you secretly a follower of Loviatar?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  07:22:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

As I recall, a very slight number of avatars [and, I think, only some of those I've submitted over the years] are actually restricted to either myself or other Mods. Alaundo once toyed with the idea of extending that to some other avatars as well.

However, we all eventually agreed that it was somewhat unfair to bar new scribes from accessing those avatar images that they might like, simply because they joined later than other scribes who had already selected those images.

And that's a policy I agree with. Sure, it can be confusing to tell scribes apart, especially if you're only glancing at their avatar images, but that's also why we have usernames as well.

But it's a whole lot easier to tell the scribes apart just by their avatars, specially if they're posting in the same threads. It's more conspicuous.

----

Brim,

Loviatar worships me.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  09:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the other forum and noted one thing that may help Candlekeep Inn thread: we need OOC thread for the players to talk.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2011 :  15:44:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

I watched the other forum and noted one thing that may help Candlekeep Inn thread: we need OOC thread for the players to talk.

We usually reserve the Adventuring shelf for OOC chatter -- regardless of whether it is Candlekeep Inn-based or PBEM games.

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  17:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voting on entries like youtube may be where you can like or dislike an entry prob just like it.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  01:18:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Voting on entries like youtube may be where you can like or dislike an entry prob just like it.

Candlekeep has always been above such concerns of "popularity."

In fact, we often pride ourselves on being a site that values each and every contribution equally. And I prefer that it remain that way.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  08:46:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with The Sage here, the "old flavour" Candlekeep smells is one of the reasons that make it so appealing, that and the layer if you ask me

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  16:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

On this point, I must say i've been quite surprised on the number of emails and feedback submissions over the past few months (maybe sparked by recent talk of Candlekeep v2.0) of scribes stating how they like the current old-school format of Candlekeep and don't wish it to change!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  22:23:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I understand that it very much opposes the learned spirit of Candlekeep, I would like to suggest implementing some kind of ignore/block/filter feature. Sometimes my tolerance for the tenacious old trolls who regularly harass the scribes is somewhat less than that of the moderators, I wouldn't mind an option to simply dispel their posturing and antagonistic ramblings so that my time studying Realmslore is not as often disrupted by their irrelevant confrontations.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Nov 2011 22:26:43
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  03:33:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I suggeted the same. But Sage [or was it Wooly?] said it would create instead of solve potential problems. Right, Sage?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  04:43:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suggeted the same. But Sage [or was it Wooly?] said it would create instead of solve potential problems. Right, Sage?

Sort of. My main issue with this proposal, is that I don't like the notion of being so discriminatory with what scribes have to say at Candlekeep.

This site works best with as little needed oversight as possible. I'm not comfortable with the idea of making such an ignore-function readily available.

I'll grant that it can be very useful in some instances, but it also has the potential to be abused by those who just like causing as much antagonism here as possible. And with these antagonists simply choosing to ignore certain scribes, it may end up causing more disruption that it solves.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  05:06:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I perfectly understand that. I'm actually [surprisingly] now good at ignoring certain scribes I had "history" with. Besides, I believe that indifference "hurts" or teaches a lesson more than hate does. I'm sick and tired of inflammatory responses. I immediately know which posts to ignore upon seeing the names of the posters.

I ignore a number of people, mostly criminals that no prison would welcome, who are bleeding to death and pleading me [or my dad] for mercy. If I could do that, heck, ignoring some people from an online community is way easier.

I visit Candlekeep not to look for fights---I have a lot of those in my line of work. I visit CK because I want to share what I know of the Realms, express my love and, at times, disappointment, and learn from what my fellow scribes know that I happen to be not so knowledgeable about. Life is too short to dwell on hate and bitterness. [That's my motto, ever since accepting my dad's legacy.]

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  21:06:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

On this point, I must say i've been quite surprised on the number of emails and feedback submissions over the past few months (maybe sparked by recent talk of Candlekeep v2.0) of scribes stating how they like the current old-school format of Candlekeep and don't wish it to change!

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me... and I would consider myself to be in that group as well. I think that a few small tweaks are all that are needed. Honestly, I've liked Facebook less with each new overhaul, and what they (FB) did with messaging (doing away with separate thread titles) in their last revamp was just plain st*pid. I hate using that word; that's why I've censored it. Anyway, I think I've made all (3 or 4) suggestions I can think of already, so just keep it running!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 Feb 2012 21:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  18:02:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail, Alaundo ... I request a feature.

There is no REPLY button in the PM boxes, and thus no helpful provision for quoting text as well, at least none I could see. This trivial oversight can be slightly bothersome, I'd much rather click one lazy button than manually insert [format] clipboarded text when sending a "new" PM in response. Just sayin'

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  18:23:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Blink* I just opened PM in different window. What I see above a saved PM the following: a button to Receive, a button to Reply, a button to Forward and a button to Delete. On my screen the buttons are right justified.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000