Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  05:41:59  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically the report post is just an extra button on each message. When someone clicks on it, it goes to the mods to state 'hey, take a look at this, potentional abuse'.

Nothing on the scroll itself is named, so no-one would ever know if they're own post was reported or not, only the mods would know. Basically it just cuts out the middle part when a scribe has to go to send PM to send a PM to a mod, it just immeditly sends to a mod to a potentional problem post.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  05:55:36  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

Basically the report post is just an extra button on each message. When someone clicks on it, it goes to the mods to state 'hey, take a look at this, potentional abuse'.

Nothing on the scroll itself is named, so no-one would ever know if they're own post was reported or not, only the mods would know. Basically it just cuts out the middle part when a scribe has to go to send PM to send a PM to a mod, it just immeditly sends to a mod to a potentional problem post.

Really, it's just a convenience thing: it automatically flags the post and brings it to the moderators' attention, as opposed to "forcing" a conscientious scribe to PM one of the moderators to the same effect.

Personally, I think this forum has few enough questionable posts that it's easy enough to report them the old-fashioned way. I've spent time on multiple forums, and I have to say, this is probably the most "mature" of them -- not in content, but in the nature of the posters themselves. This is, of course, something to value and protect, and if a "Report Post" button would help do so, I'd be 100% behind it; it just seems to me that we don't really need it.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  06:22:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah. Well, that's an entirely different take. I'll take this under advisement as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  15:08:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Ah. Well, that's an entirely different take. I'll take this under advisement as well.

I second this suggestion.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  14:52:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea (stolen from other forums) -

Some ability for scribes to lock (and maybe subsequently unlock) their own scrolls. Some kind of *bigger* padlock for the Mods would be needed to override scribe (un)locks.
(1) I can see situations where a scribe might submit great lore, sometimes unfinished, and wishes to keep it unsullied or direct comments/discussion about it elsewhere, at least for a time.
(2) Sometimes a scroll is just "finished". Some OP question is completely answered or whatever but the ghost of OP (along with many more answers to answered questions, and eternal arguments/chatter about the same) keeps on being reanimated as an attention-grabbing Active Topic.
(3) A small bonus for site admin is a much lesser incidence of scribes reviving smelly dead scrolls from the archives. This is double-edged, though, since sometimes a dead scroll is ideally related to some new discussion.

I'm really not certain we even need such a feature (things work well without it, just as they work well without the "Flag Post" idea discussed above) - it's just an idea.

Another idea to implement (1) from above
An "article" approach; allowing scrolls to show a sort of front page which then links into the actual discussion. An example of this approach can be found at geekhack; it is used here as a wiki, click on any of the threads to see how it works (my idea is essentially identical, although instead of being used as a wiki, the "article" page can only be altered by the OP scribe - of course, this sort of forum-wiki implementation ain't a bad idea either, lol.) ... the "Report Post" idea is also demonstrated at geekhack, although it probably only works for members (which includes me). Incidentally, there are tons of interesting forum gadgets and gizmos here, but I really think most of them are useless distractions that would serve Candlekeep poorly. (The site Admin/Owner is named iMav, given here because there is no public member list nor other way to figure out who's in charge unless you see his hammer come down - he is mildly jovial and interactive, though, so be not shy about PMs if that's what you desire).

A possible advantage to the "article" concept is that it might be used to display illustrations (such as maps) which would then not clutter up the discussion. Illustrations can cause all sorts of problems (as anybody who can cast a Symbol will attest), an option is to only use links to (non-Candlekeep) fileservers, another option is to only display blank placeholders for each image until it has been Mod approved. Again, just a bunch of ideas.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 01 Dec 2010 16:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  00:50:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That article approach looks nice.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  01:03:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Not too sure about that self-Moderation option, but the rest sounds like it's worth some further consideration, Arik.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  01:26:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm. Not too sure about that self-Moderation option, but the rest sounds like it's worth some further consideration, Arik.

Not so sure about that one, either. I can readily see people locking their own threads just to make sure that they get the last word in.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  01:34:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not so sure about that one, either. I can readily see people locking their own threads just to make sure that they get the last word in.

That, and the possibility that some scribes may take offense at being deliberately locked out of a particular scroll.

So while there notion does have some merit, I can foresee it all causing more problems than it solves. 'Tis better, I think, to leave such Moderation to a select and impartial few.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Dec 2010 01:35:12
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  07:59:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't say it was a good idea.

Suggestions can't hurt. Unless they're utterly ridiculous, Polymorph Into Macintosh or some other terrible twaddle.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  08:55:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That, and the possibility that some scribes may take offense at being deliberately locked out of a particular scroll.

So while there notion does have some merit, I can foresee it all causing more problems than it solves. 'Tis better, I think, to leave such Moderation to a select and impartial few.

I have to agree. This part of Arik's suggestions might cause more problems than solve them. The rest are ok.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  09:48:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there must be a Block User in the PM section, should we deem it necessary not to receive msg from those we are incidentally not fond of.

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Dec 2010 09:51:54
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  10:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I think there must be a Block User in the PM section, should we deem it necessary not to receive msg from those we are incidentally not fond of.

Seconded.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  13:47:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah! I put forth that links do not require quotation marks to "linkify" them! And if it's already on the table, I second, third and fourth it!

I've been spending more time at other forums and have been tripping myself up around here everytime I forget the quotes...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  14:02:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CK does use unique codes for [url] and [list] ... admittedly 'twould be nice if such formatting were of the "standard" vB variety now commonly used in many forums (yea, I too must sometimes look it up when not using my preconfigured Notepad++). But changing it would involve some tedious translation of all existing scrolls and retraining of CK scribes. Methinks it's best to make the code-formatting reference (now found in the FAQ) readily found in all of the text-writing windows. Er, perhaps a better documented [list] explanation would be nice.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:34:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we rid of the codes and instead have click-able options for every command (bold, italic, color, etc..), like writing in MS Word? It'll save us A LOT of time.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Dec 2010 01:39:43
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:41:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those options are already present in the editor mode box thing (when you Edit Reply, or Quote Reply; but not when you Quick Reply) ... except for the advanced [list] option ... I often Quote Reply, delete the whole block of quoted text, and start typing clean, rather than type in the Quick Reply box (just so I can use the editing options).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Dec 2010 01:42:13
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:41:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Mods, can you increase the number of messages that can be stored in the PM'S Inbox and Outbox?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:44:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Those options are already present in the editor mode box thing (when you Edit Reply, or Quote Reply; but not when you Quick Reply) ... except for the advanced [list] option ... I often Quote Reply, delete the whole block of quoted text, and start typing clean, rather than type in the Quick Reply box (just so I can use the editing options).

I know that...Well, I should have been more specific. What I mean is having those options in ALL kinds of replies.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:48:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Can we rid of the codes and instead have click-able options for every command (bold, italic, color, etc..), like writing in MS Word? It'll save us A LOT of time.

That's part of our decision-making process regarding forum software for Candlekeep 2, so...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  01:50:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What I mean is having those options in ALL kinds of replies.
I'd like that as well, at least as an option. I just didn't want to add even more trivial requests to my already endless critique about the site, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  02:00:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope the Mods are keeping track of ALL OUR REQUESTS...

Got another one: I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT THE VOTING FOR THE POLLS BE EXCLUSIVE TO CK MEMBERS. It will encourage guests to register should they find the need to participate in the polls really great. Also, it will eliminate discrepancies. A member will only be able to vote ONCE, as opposed to logging out and vote again as a guest. Lastly, it will sort of ensure that the fans can speak their minds by being able to post comments (as opposed be being just guests).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  02:06:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought only members could vote, and could only vote once? This is wrong?

[Edit]

I just logged out, cleared cookies/cache, voted "Other" (as a Guest) in Faerun's Greatest Spell, cleared cookies/cache, restarted my browser, and logged back in. The scroll will not let me vote again; apparently CK tracks me as a unique user or Microsoft (Win7U/IE8) has lied about security/privacy clearing options.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Dec 2010 02:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  02:20:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought only members could vote, and could only vote once? This is wrong?

Wrong indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  06:17:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, just because scribes don't agree with you on the voting doesn't mean they are stuffing the ballot box...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  06:29:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Y'know, just because scribes don't agree with you on the voting doesn't mean they are stuffing the ballot box...

Wow, you're definitely MISREADING my post. My request about the poll has NOTHING to do with the results of the POLLS I made. Heh, some of them (like on Thay and 'Fat' writing) have results that FAVOR my own choice. Think twice before giving such ridic***** reply.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2010 :  06:45:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, there's no need for that. Let's keep it civil, folks.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  03:54:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suggestion for the Active Topics page:

The "Active Topics Since" drop down seems to automatically default to "Last Visit". I generally prefer different settings (like "Last 6 Hours" or "Yesterday") ... could an option to save the default "setting" in the cookie be implemented (maybe options configured in the user profile/CP)?

I notice the "Reload page every ..." setting seems to be retained (lol, I personally prefer "Don't reload automatically").

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  06:12:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Suggestion for the Active Topics page:

The "Active Topics Since" drop down seems to automatically default to "Last Visit". I generally prefer different settings (like "Last 6 Hours" or "Yesterday") ... could an option to save the default "setting" in the cookie be implemented (maybe options configured in the user profile/CP)?

I notice the "Reload page every ..." setting seems to be retained (lol, I personally prefer "Don't reload automatically").

Suggestion noted.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  03:50:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) I suggest tweaking the CK search genie a little bit ... for example, a search for "lisen sands" spits out all 81 pages of "Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)", rather than just the relevant pages (55 and 56). This makes finding stuff in lengthy scrolls (like Questions for Ed Greenwood) rather cumbersome. Who's gonna search/read through all 81 pages?

2) Well, sometimes guys like me will search through all 81 pages because there's no alternative (outside of google-jitsu). I suggest implementing "previous page"/"next page" buttons (and maybe "first page"/"last page" buttons) to help speed this up a little; clicking into and selecting numbers from the menu is a little cumbersome, especially on lengthy scrolls where the number of pages exceeds the maximum number that can be displayed at once. (Very frustrating with my screwy little mouse and even screwier little touchpad, though of course that's hardly something CK can address.)

(I know ye've already received numerous suggestions related to the search genie, I just thought I'd add another to the pile. )

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 17 Dec 2010 03:51:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000