Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Information on Nar and Raumathar Empires?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gulli05
Acolyte

Iceland
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  01:26:26  Show Profile Send Gulli05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been reading Unapproachable East sourcebook for 3,5 Edition Forgotten Realms, seeing if it's a place I'd like perhaps use for my next campaign. I like what I've read so far, however the empires of Nar and Raumathar intrigue me, yet there is such limited amount of information on them in that book. I figured I'd look into Lost Empires of Faerun, however I feel like the book is fairly limited in information being split between 5 different empires in 1 chapter where it talks about Nar and Raumathar. So I wonder, was there anywhere further detail made on the empires of Nar and Raumathar, their cultures, religions (demon worship in case of Nar and so on), histories, rulers, society and so on. Whether it is in older editions or dragon magazines I'd really like to know if there is more to read on these two lost empires. Can anyone direct me to any certain reading material on Nar and Raumathar?

Edited by - Gulli05 on 01 Jan 2015 02:07:54

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  03:35:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
check the Grand History of the Realms, the Horde boxed set from 2nd edition, the 2nd edition Old Empires boxed set, there's a little in Powers and Pantheons around Kossuth. That's the major ones that come to mind.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  04:40:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not canon, obviously, but I used the ancient war betwixt Nar and Raumathar as a way to introduce Realmsified warforged.

See the Wooly's Warforged thread if you are interested.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gulli05
Acolyte

Iceland
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  11:05:32  Show Profile Send Gulli05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, thank you I will look up what I can find in those sourcebooks.

Wooly Rupert, I like the idea of adding more constructs and such especially to the Raumathari side of things. I think I might keep that link to your thread "Wooly's Warforged" close in case I need them for my campaign.

Thanks for your help, perhaps an additional question. I'm curious as to what sort of demons and demon lord I could have relate to Nar. Do you guys know about any more obscure ones in FR lore that might be fun to utilize surrounding the Narfell and Raumathar conflict? (I'd be running a campaign in 1350-1372 sort of timeline most likely, but there'd be cults, ancient lore, ruins and bound demons still using the remnants of the Nar and Raumathar empires for their own purpose).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6361 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  19:08:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the most obvious Demon Lord to relate to the Nar is Eltab since they bound him to Toril in the first place. He is currently residing in the north of Impiltur (although he may only have just arrived by 1372 having retreated there from Thay). Impiltur was part of Narfell territory as was Narfell, the Great Dale, Ashanath, Aglarond, and portions of Thay.

Raumathar owned Rashemen, large portions of the Hordelands and Thay.

During the war between Raumathar and Narfell territory changed hands in varying degrees (both owned Thay for instance).

Soneillon is also someone connected to Eltab and therefore Narfell and she is still active in the eastern mountains of Narfell.

As for what demons your could use, Eltab was a demon lord and therefore had countless numbers of demons at his disposal. Ndulu the balor was his servant at one point and so I would expect every kind of demon lesser than a balor to be present in the various demoncysts that are spread throughout the Unapproachable East.

If you want to use other demonlords. Orcus has a presence in Damara and Vaasa and many of the ancient kings of Narfell worshipped Orcus.
I think it was Fraz-Urb-Luu that actually taught the ancient kings of Narfell to summon and bind Eltab in the first place so he could have a very secret shrine somewhere.

Then there is Wendonai and the drow in Narathmault about 20000 years ago so you could have that big nasty included somewhere.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  00:41:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gulli05

Sleyvas, thank you I will look up what I can find in those sourcebooks.

Wooly Rupert, I like the idea of adding more constructs and such especially to the Raumathari side of things. I think I might keep that link to your thread "Wooly's Warforged" close in case I need them for my campaign.

Thanks for your help, perhaps an additional question. I'm curious as to what sort of demons and demon lord I could have relate to Nar. Do you guys know about any more obscure ones in FR lore that might be fun to utilize surrounding the Narfell and Raumathar conflict? (I'd be running a campaign in 1350-1372 sort of timeline most likely, but there'd be cults, ancient lore, ruins and bound demons still using the remnants of the Nar and Raumathar empires for their own purpose).

Grand History of the Realms has a complete timeline of the Nentyarchs of Narfell, many of which are bred from human/demon lord interaction.

Oh, and on the Raumathari, I've always been favored of the Raumathari Battlemages not being specific to that prestige class. So, eldritch knights, spellswords, warmages, rage mages, etc... all fit well in the environment. They probably developed so many constructs because their warrior-mages already had craft wondrous and craft arms and armor, and I see their constructs as being less of a fighting defender for them, and more of a magical aid (i.e. so they'd be less likely to have say a simple stone golem and more likely to have a runic guardian)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  13:20:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arlgolcheir.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Jan 2015 13:26:01
Go to Top of Page

Gulli05
Acolyte

Iceland
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  13:35:59  Show Profile Send Gulli05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dazzlerdal,
Thank you for this summary on demons, it resulted in me getting some ideas of what I could set as an underlying thematic and plot in my campaign. Fraz'Urb-luu, Orcus and Eltab are entities I've never made use of before, nor have I used the Nar or Raumathar empires. This could actually be very interesting and provide my players with something they don't expect from me. Thank you very much for the post, it helped a lot just in terms of getting my imagination started on where I could take this.

sleyvas,
I came across the Monarchs list for Narfell and Raumathar as well as some of the lore by pure accident when I was going through my books and remember Grand History of the Realms. Very useful book.

I do like your idea of the Raumathari utilizing more than just Raumathari Battlemages classes as it does put a lot of variety in there.

George,
I'll try to read into that one. It's from Dragon #116 isn't it?

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. If anyone else has any more input, I'd love to hear it. I'm going to sit down now and start to try to build a general outline on how I can do a campaign set in around 1350-1372 and still utilize Nar and Raumathar in the background, slowly unveiling more of it to my player the further we go. (If they don't de-rail it completely before I can do that.)

Edited by - Gulli05 on 03 Jan 2015 13:37:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000