Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  14:18:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the film sliding doors, but that line was terrible.

Now I can mess around with sertra and nindrol lore between the lines you have sketched.

I'm thinking melvair was one of the arcanists but left 5 years before sertra was destroyed. I'm wondering if perhaps the netherese were using the moonwell as a spell pool to help power their awesome magic (perhaps making a sort of mythallar out of it so they could cast spells far beyond their normal power individually). Maybe a super powered banish spell to send him back to the far realm by opening a planar rift (I found an elder evil that recommends placing in the western heartlands that would fit with the shadowking - cant remember the name though).

I'm wondering how the shadowking was eventually imprisoned, is it detailed in a novel perhaps.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  14:35:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I like the film sliding doors, but that line was terrible.

Now I can mess around with sertra and nindrol lore between the lines you have sketched.

I'm thinking melvair was one of the arcanists but left 5 years before sertra was destroyed. I'm wondering if perhaps the netherese were using the moonwell as a spell pool to help power their awesome magic (perhaps making a sort of mythallar out of it so they could cast spells far beyond their normal power individually). Maybe a super powered banish spell to send him back to the far realm by opening a planar rift (I found an elder evil that recommends placing in the western heartlands that would fit with the shadowking - cant remember the name though).

I'm wondering how the shadowking was eventually imprisoned, is it detailed in a novel perhaps.

Crypt of the Shadowking
Curse of the Shadowmage

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  14:46:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh, I'm not sure I can face reading another novel, let alone 2. I love the realms, but not the novels.

Hopefully I can find the answer right at the end of the book.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  17:14:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the book is not all that terrible, I think I've got to the story of verrakeths imprisonment, a hokey tale about a bard battling him for a solid week and then defeating him with pan pipes and bonding him to a great crypt and raising a hill atop it.

The story is likely an elaboration (after all the source was written by several authors and the has been copied many times (with the original destroyed).

The use of the word "weave" makes me think of elves. Talek Talembar is non descript but I'm sure I've seen a surname similar to talembar before and it sounds selfish. It would make sense for the elves to have the power to imprison him and raise a huge hill with magic (although marking the sight is a really stupid thing to do).

The story doesn't say whether the crypt was built for that purpose or already existed. Might be there is something else imprisoned or buried there.

I will continue reading, I'm getting rather interested in the western heartlands though. Lots of hidden secrets.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2019 :  14:48:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got through the last of the lore in the moonshae isles. Decided to add a ffolk kingdom of cambryn atop cambridge and stretching to caervu as I figured that there were too many similarities between the royal house of cambridge and the names of nearby local geography (cambro mountains and cambrent gap).

I figure its established after the 201 dr war with kazgoroth, and doesn't last long as the firbolgs and other remaining allies of kazgoroth wear it down (I randomly chose 272 as the date of destruction and then looked it up and it was fortuitously the year of weeping kingdoms).

Now to go back over everything and start making some sense of it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  15:13:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anybody envisaged how the merchants of amn orchestrated the take over of snowdown.
I'm trying to plant the seeds of such a takeover. At the moment I've got merchant houses from amn and baldurs gate and calimshan trying to ally themselves with senior noblemen in snowdown by tempting them with exclusive access to luxury items.
The hope is that these noblemen will allow the merchants to dredge the bays and expand the docks so that snowdown can become a major Mercantile hub like callidyrr is now.

The next step is for the merchant house to go from allies to political players and the easiest way is for them to manufacture a crisis and then offer assistance in return for political power in snowdown, but that seems more like a zhentarim method than anything else. Would amnians perhaps get their allies addicted or in debt and then ramp up the costs until the nobles of snowdown give them power and position (takes longer but is slightly less overtly evil).

Any thoughts.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  09:50:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going through the bald man games regional guide, a few glaring mistakes but some good ideas. Came across a piece about hergatha that I never took note of before.

Hergathas mum carved hergathas name into the tree yggdrasils child, then her mum was killed in a lightning strike and hergatha becomes unable to drown, an awesome warrior and strategist, basically a Mary sue.

Now I'm intending to make yggdrasils child an arakhor (I figure the Fey made these to anchor the material plane to faeree and act as a planar crossroads). The sarrukh turned it into a weave anchor (like the nether scrolls).

Now the tree was obviously trapped to defend it from stupid people trying to tamper with the weave anchor and gain power for themselves, they obviously never considered that someone would carve someone else's name into the tree.

So what would happen if you carved someone's true name into the weave anchor. The nether scrolls were used to add newly discovered spells into the weave and to spread the size and strength of the weave. By adding someone's name to a weave anchor do you then create a direct link between that person and the weave. They then becomes sustained by its power (making them immortal and if they are killed they reform like the nether scrolls), perhaps they can access powers of the weave, more importantly perhaps sentience within the weave can use/possess hergatha.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2019 :  14:28:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silmarien Silverleaf (CG moon elf ranger 7 / wizard 8) hails from Synnoria. She has wandered to and across the mainland in search of male elves, who she hopes will return to Synnoria to help her enlarge the dwindling population.

TSR Trading Cards 1992, #595.

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2019 :  14:54:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Silmarien Silverleaf (CG moon elf ranger 7 / wizard 8) hails from Synnoria. She has wandered to and across the mainland in search of male elves, who she hopes will return to Synnoria to help her enlarge the dwindling population.

TSR Trading Cards 1992, #595.

This could be interpreted as saying she's on a quest to get laid.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2019 :  15:00:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More than that. She’s building a harem.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2019 :  18:22:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that is an amazing and obscure find, I haven't got the tsr trading cards, and I suspect they have not been digitised.

I shall add her to the npcs. It does beg the question why many males left, why they were allowed to leave (in a gender deficient society one can easily imagine the more populous gender taking control of society and preventing the other gender from leaving -forcing them to remain and do their societal duty).

In some folklore unicorns do not like the touch of males. I had postulated that kamerynns presence inhibited the birth of males, perhaps his presence also has a suggestive influence making then want to leave, a feeling that grows stronger over time.

Furthermore I wonder if the llewyrr would not resort to kidnapping Male elves that came too close to synnoria

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2019 :  20:58:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am detailing the Korinn Archipelago, have long been thinking about Viledal, who he was and how he managed to become ruler the island chain.

Started randomly reading up on bronze dragons today (in the 2e draconomicon) and it mentioned a story about a lone sailor who rescues or defends a bunch of people who turn out to be bronze dragons and in turn defend him from overwhelming odds.

I'm aware that Nymmurh lairs in northern Alaron and has a larder in the archipelago, also there is the insane bronze dragon Errant who went mad when his favoured human was lost.

Then i also recalled a plothook that mentioned a burning ship carrying the body of a northman hero floating out to sea with a dragon following.

So i've strung them all together. What if Viledal was not the great sailor and warrior he is purported to be in legend. What if he was in the wrong place at the wrong time (a merchant captured by pirates) and risked his life to save someone who turned out to be a bronze dragon (Errant).

With a polymorphed bronze dragon at his side, Viledal could easily defeat the pirates and remain king for 40 years. So what happens, as he ages he gets mean and Errant leaves his side. The pirates move in and Viledal is slain. Errant goes mad from the loss.

The burning ship is released when someone plunders Viledal's Isle in Treasure Island (one of the rooms has a ship prepared for his long dead son all ready for a viking burial, and the island is collapsing).

Just a thought for now. I thinking the keeper on Viledal's Isle is also a bronze dragon (he lived for at least 80 years seemingly), perhaps Errant in his more lucid moments.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2019 :  21:02:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted in Treasure Hunt that the Korinn Archipelago was settled about 200 years ago. Obviously completely incorrect when it comes to the rest of the history about the Moonshae isles and the Korinn Archipelago, so i've decided that it was a migration of ffolk from Corwell (driven away by an event i call the Witch Winters) that fled to the Archipelago (Callidyrr is too crowded and the Carrathal Dynasty is already known as being tethyrian friendly and ffolk unfriendly, Snowdown is too settled, and Moray was the wrong way from Kingsbay.

I'm tying that into an entry in Tangled Webs that details the island of Tetris (only briefly) as having ffolk customs, whereas the rest of the Archipelago seems to be mostly northmen settled or pirate settled. So the ffolk from Corwell came to the Archipelago around 1100 DR bring their customs which had been mostly abandoned in places like Callidyrr.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2019 :  15:45:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Korinn Archipelago mostly outlined. I've got a new group, the Seekers of Sunrise who are llewyrr elves out looking to persuade elves to travel to synnoria. Some use unsavoury methods (charms, kidnaps, bribery, blackmail).

Tried to work in what little lore there is to imagine a group of islands still loosely connected and recovering from the collapse of viledals nation. So centrist as the biggest island was once the capital and has guilds and merchant houses and nobles who have claimed a few of the smaller islands around it (Rabins Reef, Barrets Quay). Others are depleted from pirate attacks, others are refuges for elves fleeing the fall of their lands.

In general the islanders stick together, trading with each other first because everyone ignores the archipelago so the archipelago ignores everyone else.

Decided that viledal was a scion of Aeroth Silverhelm and so has a few treasures of vlan hidden in his tomb (which errant spent the last century recovering from pirates and their buyers)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2019 :  17:36:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I need to look at Fey monsters in the MMs and other books, never heard of the verdant prince but he could be an interesting foe or moonwell guardian.

Anyone got a list of Fey monsters anywhere (doesn't matter about edition or setting.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2019 :  07:49:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going through the adventurers league stuff for the moonshaes. Came across an interesting creature named Kauth in one of baldman games AL contributions (plus lots more location names in Moray).

I'm thinking of making two leshay, a spring Fey in the tarthwood, and a winter Fey in the orcskull mountains. Always acting in opposition to each other.

Nowadays tarth has retreated to faeree and kauth has been slain by the grimmulf and has now become a shadow spirit working for urphania to try and upset the human lands.

One odd thing about the adventure is the presence of llyneth Kincaid as a druid. Thus means she is related to the royal line of snowdown. The royal line of snowdown is supposedly dead in 1346 DR, but there might be distant relatives in Moray, perhaps a kincaid daughter married Adom kimball who became regent (when normally snowdown kings become regents) and took some of her family with her.

Even more interesting is that Llyneth has a lycanthropy like taint in her ancestry so I'm trying that to the founder of the kincaid dynasty having been wounded by kazgoroth.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2019 :  12:44:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got hold of baldman games adventurers league stuff up to beneath cairnwell (I think 3-2), but there it looks like they have done convention adventures up to 12-3 in the moonshaes.

Has anyone played or got copies of these that they might be willing to sell.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2019 :  15:32:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I got hold of baldman games adventurers league stuff up to beneath cairnwell (I think 3-2), but there it looks like they have done convention adventures up to 12-3 in the moonshaes.

Has anyone played or got copies of these that they might be willing to sell.

If they are standard Adventurer's League material then your chances of finding any meaningful lore are negligible.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2019 :  15:41:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that at first, but the mentioned of llyneth kincaid gave me the idea of a marriage alliance between snowdown and moray sometime after 1000 DR which in part led to the appointment of adom kimball as regent after snowdown withdrew from moonshae politics.

It also came up with a baddie called the shadow of the beast which I'm tying to the remnants of an old faeree lord and helped detail a number of places on moray which is really lacking in anything of note.

I've added a handful of NPCs (mostly demihumans) that would have been alive in the old timeline, and an equal number of magic items that I figure last forever and are mostly historical.

Yes the lore is sparse and undeveloped and needs a lot of reworking to fit in with existing timelines and lore, but at this stage it's the only source of inspiration I have left, having exhausted pretty much every sourcebook and article i can get my hands on.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  09:51:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No luck getting hold of the baldman games adventurers league stuff. If anyone has a copy of modules CCC-MOON-4-1 to CCC-MOON-12-3 then let me know, I'd be very interested to buy a copy.

Found dungeon 149 had a moonshae adventure (already found once before but forgotten). Noticed a night twist is the main baddie (a murderous tree with a death song.
A night twist is a very appropriate monster for my moonshaes given the songs and music are part of the whole kazgoroth and moonwell legend.

Not sure about the origin of the night twist. I have noticed there are no treants on the moonshae isles, despite it being perfect treant location (with at least one arakhora on the moonshae isles before it was sundered).
So the night twist could be a corrupted treant, in fact all the treants could have died out during wars with kazgoroth and the decline of the earthmother, any remaining trees become corrupted by underlie/shadow Fey and turn into night twists.

I picture a few night twists in winterglen. I'm putting a night twist in norland where the sunken academy is located (I figure it's an old druid grove but was slaughtered by the northmen).

Maybe a treant would make a good candidate for one of the children of the earthmother or a guardian of a moonwell. A mobile night twist would make a great corrupted servant of kazgoroth.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  10:56:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No luck getting hold of the baldman games adventurers league stuff. If anyone has a copy of modules CCC-MOON-4-1 to CCC-MOON-12-3 then let me know, I'd be very interested to buy a copy.

Found dungeon 149 had a moonshae adventure (already found once before but forgotten). Noticed a night twist is the main baddie (a murderous tree with a death song.
A night twist is a very appropriate monster for my moonshaes given the songs and music are part of the whole kazgoroth and moonwell legend.

Not sure about the origin of the night twist. I have noticed there are no treants on the moonshae isles, despite it being perfect treant location (with at least one arakhora on the moonshae isles before it was sundered).
So the night twist could be a corrupted treant, in fact all the treants could have died out during wars with kazgoroth and the decline of the earthmother, any remaining trees become corrupted by underlie/shadow Fey and turn into night twists.

I picture a few night twists in winterglen. I'm putting a night twist in norland where the sunken academy is located (I figure it's an old druid grove but was slaughtered by the northmen).

Maybe a treant would make a good candidate for one of the children of the earthmother or a guardian of a moonwell. A mobile night twist would make a great corrupted servant of kazgoroth.

You might find inspiration in the death's head tree as well. (From an old Ravenloft product.)

I played with them here:

https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/mintiper/02.shtml

Also, from Monster Manual III:

"The horrible lament of the night twist has been heard in the wooded depths of Cormanthor, but night twists are not friends of the elves or any other creature that inhabits the ancient forest. They inhabit the darkest reaches, taking root near the tombs of elf kings, fallen temples, and the bones of slain dragons. Night twists even threaten travelers seeking the ruins of Myth Drannor. The night twist’s song can also be heard as far west as the Silver Marches, in par- ticular in the Far Forest near such forlorn sites as Masulk’s Tomb and Taerymdoom."

Finally, from Monsters of Faerun, you might look at dark trees to compare and contrast.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 29 Oct 2019 11:07:32
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  11:02:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers for the pointer. I don't know whether to just trawl through every Fey and plant monster and find a place for them in the moonshae isles, or whether I should be selective and only develop the things that are already present or hinted at.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  19:33:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather than having three different evil trees i merged them into two versions of the same thing.

I already had the Llyrath Forest destroying much of Kazgoroth's forces during the first war (and creating the wide swathe of land that the ffolk now inhabit in Corwell). I had said that the taint of Kazgoroth made the trees seem malevolent but i think i will have more than a few of them become Dark Trees (i'm going to call them Night Trees).

The Night Twist is an upgraded Dark Tree (upgraded by Urphania - my secret big baddie who lived in the Korinn Archipelago before allowing herself to be summoned to Citadel Umbra), which possesses the death song of a night twist and when it kills its victims it absorbs their skulls into its branches and covers them with bark to make it look like it has human heads attached (like the death's head tree). The presumption is this Night Twist is to guard something of Urphania's like her lair (those searching for her would recognise her fell taint), but in reality it is a ruse and the tree is there to distract attention from her secret lair on another island.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2019 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers for the pointer. I don't know whether to just trawl through every Fey and plant monster and find a place for them in the moonshae isles, or whether I should be selective and only develop the things that are already present or hinted at.

So I developed part of the High Forest I'm calling the Feywoods. I went through every creatures in MM1-5, FF, MoF, and the Realms supplements. But then I only picked the subset I felt fit for the forest.

Start with the animals. Then layer in the magical beasts. Then pick the few humanoid / monstrous humanoid / giant tribes you want. Then layer in a smattering of setting appropriate fey and undead. Maybe drop in an aberration or outsider if it really fits. Then think about the apex predators.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2019 :  12:20:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good system I was flicking through and found worgs (cant believe I forgot they existed) which are perfect for my grimmulf pack in the kimball moor.

Came across will o wisp and they seem a good fit for the dark forests. Started looking into the ecology and realised that throughout every edition (except the first) it never explains what a will o wisp is or where it comes from.

1e had a will o wisp as an evolution of a bogart (which was just a primitive humanoid with electric powers back then). Paizo made a will o wisp some kind of creature that came into existence because if a curse on an unfaithful, womanising possessive husband that feeds on emotions.

I might link it to my drathak hordes and a Harry Potter version of a boggart.
The drathak are temporary Fey reanimated dead that are created by kazgoroth. When they run out of energy they turn to dust, but a rare few can sustain themselves by feeding off others.
So a few drathak dust swirls can reanimated into nightmarish forms to scare people and slay them (deriving sustenance from their fear and death). Those that survive in this form long enough become will o wisps that live off peoples fear.
I figure the electric attacks of a will o wisp are like a discharge caused by them manifesting from the faeree plane into the material plane (like a ghost).
These will o wisps haunt llyneth, dernall, and winterglen forest in the marshy portions where lots of drathak died

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2019 :  12:24:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of overlap between the will-o-wisp and the nyth. I believe the latter first appeared in 2e in FA1 - Halls of the High King, so they are definitely in the Moonshaes.

I would either pick nyths or explain the relationship between the two species.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 31 Oct 2019 12:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2019 :  15:51:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Nyth are explained even less than will o wisps.

I dont think i can merge the two, they are completely different (although both labelled as aberrations - incorrectly in my opinion).

The best i've found about a Nyth is on the DMs Guild and it says it is a creature born from the mixing of portions of the elemental plane of air and the positive energy plane (and possibly plane of radiance). That makes it a sort of elemental in my book and they can easily exist on faeree.

I think i might have both will o wisps and nyth. The Nyth comes from Faeree through crossroads and is an ally of the seelie fey, while the will o wisps are shadowy corruptions of fey reanimated corpses and so ally with the unseelie fey.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2019 :  11:39:17  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More randomness, this time relating to the lineage of Callidyrr.

quote:
HK Cymrych: Born 171, Reigned 193/250*, First son of Callidyrr; died of wounds suffered years earlier in combat against Kazgoroth.
Christopher Riker: [R] Born 174, Regent [201/250], Champion of Cymrych Hugh; named regent of Corwell in 201; died in 256.
Cedric Riker: [R] Born 198, Regent [250/272], Son of Reagent Christopher Koart.
Cymrych Dynasty of Callidyrr
HK Warren I: Born 237, Reigned 250/259, First son of Cymrych Hugh; died of illness.
HQ Tamara: Born 238, Reigned 259/263, First daughter of Cymrych Hugh; poisoned
HK Carrig I: Born 244, Reigned 263/287, Second son of Cymrych Hugh; died in combat against Northmen invaders.
HK Gwylloch: Born 265, Reigned 287/299, First son of Carrig I; driven mad and died in suicidal orgy of combat within his court at the Palace of Skulls.
HK Gorham: Born 270, Reigned 299/322, Second son of Carrig I; slain by Markus.
HK Markus: Born 288, Reigned 322/333, Second son of Gwylloch; died in combat.
HK Cameron "the Wise": Born 291, Reigned 333/370, Grandson of Warren I; died of natural causes.

At first everything looks fine. Cymrych Hugh rules from 193-250 DR and he dies of wounds suffered by Kazgoroth. Then we see he has a regent from 201-250 DR who is only named regent of Corwell.

So Cyrmrych Hugh is already King of Corwell, he unites Callidyrr and moves his house to Callidyrr in 201 DR leaving a regent to rule Corwell.

What is weird is the rule of Callidyrr after Cymrych Hugh. It passes to his first son Warren I who takes the throne aged 13 and dies aged 22 of disease. Then it passes to Cymrych Hugh's first daughter who dies age 25 of poisoning. Then it passes to Cymrych Hugh's second son Carrig I.

That in itself is strange. Normally I would expect a kingdom to be primogenitor in that it passes to the eldest children in order until one of them has a child. Of course whether a society favours males or males and females depends on whether it goes to sons only or not.
However this title appears to pass through the children in age order.

Then the next set of kings are the first son of Carrig, the second son of Carrig, and then the second son of the first son of Carrig before passing to the Grandson of Cymrych Hugh's first son Warren I.

What the hell kind of succession law is that. If Warren I had a son (which he obviously did) then the title should have ignored Cymrych Hugh's daughter and second son completely and passed to Warren I's son before passing to his grandson.

The only thing I can think of is that in the beginning, the High King of the Moonshae was an elective title, i.e. all the Cantrev lords voted who they wanted to be High King (or Queen) and maybe it was Cameron the Wise (grandson of Warren I) that changed the succession law to be primogenitor (eldest child of that dynasty), which is probably what made him wise in the first place.

It certainly seems that the early kings of the Hugh dynasty were killed off in various accidents and plots that were likely backed or orchestrated by cantrev lords that wanted their favoured candidate to be High King (so he could reward them).

Sorry about the thread necromancy, but here goes;
Where did you find the Callidyrr lineage quoted at the top of your post? I have a complete copy of this lineage, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

I have the GHotR 2007 edition, and I don't see that anywhere in there... would you give me a page # or a DR year?

I also don't see a lineage for Callidyrr in the "monarchies" section.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2019 :  11:50:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cymrych Dynasty is detailed in Dragon Magazine 362, as far as i know it was available on the WoTC website for a period of time, but i'm not sure how you can get a copy of that now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2019 :  09:54:39  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The clan rule of Scotland is only well detailed by the time England gets involved and brings along the more familiar noble feudal system which I'm hoping to avoid as that seems more like callidyrr where you have noble lords dividing up the land and clans ruling that land for them operating as sheriff's and tax collectors and police.

I'm hoping to come up with a system just prior to the middle ages but with a king. I figure the clans are like mafia families (But nicer). However it is the king to clan relationship that is bothersome. If a king grants landed titles to someone they immediately become noble and you have the problem of inheritance and permanent ownership.

I'm trying to imagine something more fluid whereby the ownership comes purely from staking a claim to that land and providing the necessary tithe and tribute to the king. That way another clan can muscle in if he can enforce protection from the inhabitants and pay the tithe and tribute to the king. This sometimes results in tithes being paid double for the same region and two clans claiming ownership of the same land but that is costly and cannot continue for long.

You may want to research the concept of "feudal Baronies". Scotland had a number of these, and a handful of these barons persisted until relatively recently (they were legislated out of existence).
A "feudal" baron held his title based on the ownership of a specific land area. The title was NOT hereditary, though as long as you had sons for heirs, the title became effectively hereditary.
If the holder of a feudal barony wished to, he could sell the land to, say, a prosperous and wealthy yeoman, thus making him a nobleman. He (the yeoman) would have to be accepted by King and parliament to be formally "seated", but that was usually taken care of by the yeoman greasing the wheels, so to speak.

I think making the king peripatetic would not be doable in a hereditary monarchy, but would be the norm in an elected one. Regardless of whether the king is elected or hereditary, there would need to be a "neutral" gathering place for feuding clans and to be able to meet without conflict (the Moonshaes version of Tara).

However, making the king peripatetic WOULD introduce a LOT of intrigue, if that's what you're after, go for it!

Edited by - ElfBane on 06 Dec 2019 10:00:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000