Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Recap-Candlekeep Presents: The Lords of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  19:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here is a rundown of what this years Candlekeep Presents seminar at Gen Con Indy 2014.

Welcome/Introduction

Thanks to folks who,contributed to the fundraising campaign.

Introduction of the Theme: Lords of Waterdeep, as those who work in secret to keep their people safe. Terrible analogy as excuse to introduce George Krashos, whose work has kept us all 'safe' for 20 years now.

Distribution of pins and lanyards. Much squeeing from the audience.

Invitation for everyone who'd worked on the Realms to join us up front. Those in attendance included:
Steve Winter
Thomas Reid
Erin M. Evans
Susan J. Morris
Erik Scott de Bie
Matt James
Brian James
Eric Menge
and me.

Discussion on how the new edition was using the Realms as its flagship setting (heavy applause), so that there would be, by default, a number of new fans coming to the Realms, and how we would like to make both the setting and the places we share it with one another (the seminar, Candlekeep and other forums, etc.) as safe, inviting places where new players can feel welcome. As a result, I stated that we'd like to keep the Candlekeep Presents seminar as a positive place--where folks can share their own experiences and opinions, but no one has the right, within that space, to accuse anyone else on enjoying or experiencing the Realms 'wrong.'

This was followed by a couple of informal polls about newcomers (>50%), vs. second- (30%) or third-time (20%). Interestingly, fewer than 20% had even been on the Candlekeep site, to say nothing About being active.

Quick survey as to how many people had come to the Realms by various means (D&D, fiction, computer games, a combination, etc.). Somewhat even split.

Susan then introduced us to the Metatext, a new venture she's starting up to gather all of the information out there on Forgotten Realms fiction--releases, author appearances and autograph sessions, reviews, and related articles and gaming products, all in one place. More information, and the ability to subscribe to the newsletter, can be found on Susan's site.

We moved on to asking the panelists to share their own stories of how they came to the Realms, both personally and as writers. At some point before that, Steven Schend made his way in, and Ed Greenwood did towards the end of that rundown.

When it came to be George's turn, he presented his Impiltur timeline. We asked our guests not to scan or distribute it online, just to make sure we continue to have the opportunity to do so in the future.

Then, we held our ticket raffle. Anyone who gave us a ticket (even if they didn't have one, but threw in a ticket from another event) had the chance to take home a goodie. In all, we gave away two copies each of The Sentinel and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and one each of the Player's Handbook, Night of the Hunter, and The Adversary.

Ed then read the last surprise for the night, which was a vignette between Piergieron Paladinson and the Blackstaff. This, we did not distribute, but one lucky fan got to take home the hardcopy.

Then we opened up to questions, which were wide and varied. Troy Denning joined us, too!

Questions included things like where the Realms are in the Roll of Years as of Tyranny of Dragons (answer: post-1487, but unclear how far), whether the list of deities in the Player's Handbook should be taken as comprehensive for the 5E Realms (answer: no), and whether there was a chance certain deities, beings, and other elements of the Realms that had been 'killed' or aged away or faded or forgotten might resurface in future products (answer: yes, but intentionally cryptic). There were, of course, more questions, but I was moderating, not transcribing.

At around 10:15, we announced the theme for next year's seminar: Women in the Forgotten Realms. Because the role of women in the Realms is different from what we experience in the real world, the intention is to shift the lens a little bit, and highlight some of those differences, to celebrate the female heroes of the Realms--both the fictional ones, and the real, flesh and blood creators that have given us so much over the years. As a result, we're asking everyone to encourage their favorite female Forgotten Realms fans and players, authors and artists, and editors, too (and Heaven only knows where the Realms would be without its many talented female editors over the years) to try and join us next year.

I want to publicly thank all of our creative panelists (Troy, Steve, Thomas, Erin, Susan, Erik, Steven, Brian, Matt, Ed, and Eric) for attending. Tremendous thanks and admiration to non-panelist-panelist George for his timeline and his insight during the seminar. Thanks also to Trevor Kidd of Wizards of the Coast for our book giveaways, and I obviously want to thank everyone that contributed to our fundraising campaign; without your help, we could not have made it the experience it was.

Also, thank you to everyone that took time out to come to the seminar. It is my absolute pleasure to run this event every year, and the satisfaction of hearing from folks that this is their favorite event--whether it's someone's first Gen Con or their 30th. It's certainly mine.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  22:53:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a pleasure to be there Brian. Kudos to you and the other organisers for making it such a special event.

Hopefully I'll make it to another one soon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  23:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing! Wish I could have been there. The Metatext site sounds fun. Going to go snoop now.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  17:40:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
Ed of the Greenwood saith:

If you are a Realms fan, you should NOT miss this annual event, where those who love the Realms gather to enjoy it together. I'll be contributing more next time, somehow (perhaps resurrect my old pen sketches of female characters of the Realms, from various old Milwaukee-era GenCon handouts? Those'd be "legal," being as TSR has already approved them being given away to GenCon-attending fans.)

THO again:
Brian, what think you of this idea? Sal and Kyle and Ed's sister Martha have been going through his papers since returning from GenCon, and we'll see what turns up...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  01:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
O Hooded Lady, Ed is welcome to contribute whatever he likes. The pen sketches would be wonderful, and I'm certain there are other ideas we will be considering to go along with them as well. I can't wait to see what else the intrepid looterXX explorers find on their quest.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Ed: Realms fans that can make it to GenCon should come to our gathering. But then, I am a bit biased...
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  22:39:47  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a great time this year Garen and I am looking forward to next year.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000