Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 the official god list is....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:51:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Oh, okay, I see. I missed that. Do you know what sourcebook this list will be in?

I don't know. I hope that they will be in the DMG. They will likely be included in the FRCG, but according to WotC that one will come much later.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:53:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes open

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  05:24:47  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Torm and Bahamut took over his portfolio when he bit it. I dont think that Tyr is a worthy god of justice after his murder of Helm and persecution of his followers.

Yeah I know, but you have to admit that the bit about the divine love triangle was pretty nonsensical, put there just to get rid of Helm/Tyr (like many other dramas that have been used to remove deities from the pantheon because of 4e design choices). So it needs fixing.

I'm not a fan of Tyr personally, but his presence doesn't bother me. As I said, I like the choice of inclusiveness (and I truly hope that they don't leave the drow pantheon out of this, since they and the mulhorandi are the only ones missing atm), you can easily ignore a god if you don't like it (especially with this new approach of distant deities) but it sucks to see what you like left out, destroyed and forgotten.

well yeah that plot did seem a bit to convenient and frankly i am glad to see many of the gods returning and like you hope that the drow gods are among them. However this new doctrine of including every last God is taking things a bit too far IMO. Some gods died well and for good reason (plot wise at least). Just bringing them all back removes a lot of the tension and dramatic significance of a the demise of a deity in the first place.
I mean if they kill off someone again who is gonna care , we all know they will be back in a few years anyway. When did the realms become DC comics?

Exactly. Especially that last bit. You can't just spends years developing wonderful plot points & significant story lines that kill off deities, then suddenly bring them all back on a lark! It destroys the significance of death when you relegate it to something meaningless. It's an echo of Marvel & DC comics, which I eventually found to be rather distasteful.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  06:11:04  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except that the majority of the deities' deaths were pretty meaningless, at least in my opinion.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  09:09:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Exactly. Especially that last bit. You can't just spends years developing wonderful plot points & significant story lines that kill off deities, then suddenly bring them all back on a lark! It destroys the significance of death when you relegate it to something meaningless. It's an echo of Marvel & DC comics, which I eventually found to be rather distasteful.

The ''wonderful plots'' were pretty cheesy or cheap to many people to begin with, tbh (and some had the deities involved behave in stupid, or out of characters ways).

Also, when the purpose of a story is just to kill a deity, or destroy any other element (which turns said story in an excuse to remove stuff) and get a sales boom due to the ''shock'' factor, then there is a problem, as this only strips the setting of its depth and richness (see what happened to the drow with the LP trilogy: no matter how good the story was in some people's opinion, huge aspects of that race were deleted for nothing -not to mention the ''sacrifice'' of Eilistraee at the end for something that has nothing to do, and even diminishes what she stands for-).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 16 Sep 2014 09:49:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000