Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 which would you choose
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  07:11:35  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would you ever want to be bit by a vampire?
Or a sewer rat from calimport( forgot the term). Like a wererat ?

Or would you rather live as a lich?

Please ,if there is an option you do not see,please say it

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  01:08:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does this compare? Given that being bitten by a vampire is said to feel good... and can be done repeatedly after a little rest...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  05:51:56  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you'd live with an unearthly taste for blood you can never satiate. Plus you would not be able to live in a town that has a mage or learned person around.

Bit if you got bit by accident I'm sure the village would accommodate you in quarantine

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  13:19:01  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the wererat is off, I just plain don't like them. I mean they were all portrayed as small time crooks living in the sewers.

Vampire would be cool if you go to the underdark whilst being one, no sun no downside to being a vampire. And if you are significantly skilled with magic you can infiltrate some subterranean society like a drow or a duergar city (not the part of the city where the learned, magically skilled people live, but most likely the poor one) and hunt them and basically do what you want.

A lich i don't like for obvious reasons. YOU ARE A CORPSE! At least as a vampire you only look slightly corpse-ish, not all the way to rotting.

So, I'll have to go with the vampire, you can appear somewhat normal and there are places where you wouldn't have to worry about the sun.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  13:22:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't I just steal the body of someone younger and hotter than me every 30 years, then go on a wild spree of fornication?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  13:38:30  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Can't I just steal the body of someone younger and hotter than me every 30 years, then go on a wild spree of fornication?

Yes if you're a psion you can basically jump from body do body with mind-switch.
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  03:08:35  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

On the topic of hot lasses, do you think Wulgar really loved Deli?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  05:56:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khanio07

Well you'd live with an unearthly taste for blood you can never satiate. Plus you would not be able to live in a town that has a mage or learned person around.
It's not "From Dusk till Dawn" or something. Any survived bite is ultimately harmless, given time to recover. Which is more than can be said about rats.
Conversely, "mindlink high" version is used, though not as much as in, say, "Eerie Cuties".
quote:
Bit if you got bit by accident I'm sure the village would accommodate you in quarantine
Well, not Lathanderites.
Though IIRC there was a vampire innkeeper somewhere in Realms whom ship captains and suchlike covered and occasionally fed, because she's a good innkeeper and nice about it, and it's kinda cool without hangover, and why not. But those are more of Selunites, obviously.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  08:02:38  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lich, no questions about it.

First off, no one wants to be a wererat. lol
As for Vampires, you aren't clear enough about what type of vampire. Are we talking about WoD vampires? Nosferatu? Bram Stoker? Twilight? 30 Days of Night? I Am Legend?
And no matter what the answer, you're stuck with a hunger you can't really control that will totally override your sense of self-control and put you into harms way all the time.

Meanwhile, if I'm a lich, it's assumed I must be an incredibly powerful spellcaster (how else did I become a lich, amirite?) and with being a really powerful spellcaster comes the ability to deal with that whole, "I'm a walking rotting corpse" thing with ease (Szass Tam doesn't have a problem blending in when he wants/needs to, for example!)
Also, no real drawbacks. Even your one weakness (phylactary) is a strength (it rebuilds your body if you're destroyed!)

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  15:41:44  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If becoming a lich meant I get to learn wizardry and magic, I am all for it!

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  17:26:30  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

If becoming a lich meant I get to learn wizardry and magic, I am all for it!

But it's entirely the other way around, you'll have to spend your life (the one before becoming a lich) studying magic and what not in order to become one. Where as you can be a vampire or a were-justaboutanything and than study magic at your own pace if your a vampire.

Also how exactly does a mage lich him or herself, I don't think I've ever seen it explained?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  21:34:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would you ever want to be bit by a vampire?

Nope. I like my vampires old school, like Dracula, and would not want to be condemned to living off of others.

quote:

Or a sewer rat from calimport( forgot the term). Like a wererat ?

Wererats are nasty, dirty critters. I wouldn't want to be one, especially not if it was thru infection.

quote:

Or would you rather live as a lich?

Liches are dead, so you can't live as one... That aside, I don't see the appeal in watching everyone and everything I've ever known die or fade away, especially not while trapped in a decaying body that was eventually -- even if it took centuries -- going to collapse into dust. As I have previously quipped, I don't want to get to the point of worrying about my fingers falling off.

I also don't see any appeal in removing the need to sleep or the ability to enjoy a good meal, and I certainly don't see the appeal in having a non-existent love life for centuries.

quote:

Please ,if there is an option you do not see,please say it

An option for what? I'm not sure what it is you're even asking about, here -- two options are for eternal undeath, while the third is for a miserable lifetime.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jun 2014 21:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  22:38:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the three options presented in the OP ...

I would break the mode of conformity and opt to be bit by a were-rat, especially if she was cute. Ever checkout the rat-tailed tiefling from Planescape: Torment?

Unlike the other two OP afflictions, lycanthropy (therionthropy?) can be fully and easily cured. Who would ever wanna suffer from a lich bite?

If the question is actually about achieving immortality, then I would strive to become a Chosen of Selune, methinks. A whole plethora of lycanthropic forms to choose, most of which are more pleasing than rats.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  23:11:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

If the question is actually about achieving immortality, then I would strive to become a Chosen of Selune, methinks. A whole plethora of lycanthropic forms to choose, most of which are more pleasing than rats.

Oooh, good call, there!

Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  02:49:48  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But... since when are lycanthropes immortal?

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  04:40:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

But... since when are lycanthropes immortal?

It's the Chosen aspect that would cover the immortality. The controlled lycanthropy would be a bonus.

Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  09:17:45  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But chosen aren't immortal either. Elminster was even starting to really feel his age even before the time skip, after all. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  10:57:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But chosen aren't immortal either. Elminster was even starting to really feel his age even before the time skip, after all. ;)

Mystra's Chosen are immortal.

Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  11:04:12  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Source? (If I'm wrong, that's fine. It's just not the way I understand it based on what I remember reading.)

Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  15:57:04  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER!

To the nine hell's with mystra, I'd rather be favored by lloth. Chaos makes everything fun! Mystra or Caitlin was just a peasant girl. Mother of all magic, hah! Get a couple of powerful Mages and you could destroy her.

Lloth can get me immortality. Matron beanre lived long , even for a drow, she just fell out of favor and bruenor killed her.

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  16:11:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd choose Vampire
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  16:22:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the point of this? Immortality? Meh. If you die in the Realms, you'll just get another body anyway and go 'live' in some outer plane.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  23:52:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Source? (If I'm wrong, that's fine. It's just not the way I understand it based on what I remember reading.)

Page 10 of The Seven Sisters: "Death from natural causes becomes impossible."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  23:53:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

What's the point of this? Immortality? Meh. If you die in the Realms, you'll just get another body anyway and go 'live' in some outer plane.

Wererats aren't immortal, which is why I'm also wondering about the objective...

Liches technically aren't immortal, either, since their bodies will eventually break down. It just takes a seriously long time.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jun 2014 23:54:27
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  02:25:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the OP question was what is coolest evil subtype? Thus the option requested for other ideas besides the three options offer was included.

Of the three options, I would select non. As for something else , I can not offer an idea because I do not know the theme the OP wants.

The theme of immortality, never die from natural causes, does not apply to cover the three options. Vampires die from sunburn, a lich needs by magic to die and transfer soul and wererats die of old age (if nothing else).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  04:44:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Maybe the OP question was what is coolest evil subtype? Thus the option requested for other ideas besides the three options offer was included.

Of the three options, I would select non. As for something else , I can not offer an idea because I do not know the theme the OP wants.

The theme of immortality, never die from natural causes, does not apply to cover the three options. Vampires die from sunburn, a lich needs by magic to die and transfer soul and wererats die of old age (if nothing else).

Well, barring mishaps and assuming a steady supply of blood, a vampire would be around forever. They are immortal... Liches will only stick around for half of forever before fading to dust and becoming demiliches.

But yeah, that aside, wererats don't even have an extended lifespan, much less the potential to be around for centuries. And they lack the inherent sexiness of vampires, too (because even before the glittery ones, vampires have long been depicted as sensual beings).

Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2014 :  09:31:19  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If i could i'd choose to be a werebat i think. Sometimes man. Sometimes bat, flying whenever i want. Sleeping by day, living by night. Plus sonar is so cool i could explore lightless underdark caverns and dark places in the dead of the night...

Yeah that'd be cool.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  00:32:55  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the choices given, I would choose 'None of the above'. I've never been particularly fond of undead, and, having had to kill more than a few rats around my house, don't care much for them or their lycanthrope kin.

However, I wouldn't mind being turned into a werebear. Or some sort of were-dinosaur.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2014 :  23:15:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmphf, Mystras Chosen are immortal, eh?

Other canon has stated that Mystras Chosen do not need to sleep. In particular, Mystras Chosen do not snore.

I suspect these are all exaggerated truths. Mystras Chosen do indeed live a long, long time - although (given the small sampling so far) they represent a wide array of ages. Elminster is a surprisingly spry *old man*, Khelben has been portrayed as a stern man approaching his 30s and every other age up to authoritative sant-and-pepper-bearded late middle age, the Symbol is mysteriously young and mature all at once. Yes, they can assume the appearance of any age they wish. But I bet some of them snore, too.

And we all know that Mystra has demonstrably been attacked, deposed, and replaced several times. Hardly the most stable deity to provide immortality.

I wonder if heirophant druids, who also possess agelessness and functional immortality, also gradually show the signs of advanced years?

There seems to really be no true immortality in the Realms, only great longevity. Even gods and goddesses eventually diminish or perish, given sufficient time (and, perhaps, a few accelerating shoves through accident, violence, and the mortal weaknesses of their Faithful).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000