Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Murray Leeder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  02:41:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

Hi Red Walker. I'm glad my work clicked with you. I like what you're saying about character differentiation; that was something that was very important to me when I was writing.

Nothing else Realms-related on the present slate, but who knows about the future? I've actually just finished writing a haunted house novel that's been a back-burner project of mine for quite a few years and I'm anxious to start shopping it properly. But then I also just started a Ph.D. So much to do all of a sudden!

Glad to hear character differentiation is important to you, is is not a high enough priority for to many authors. Many treat non-esential characters like "cameos". And camoes just don't work unless it is someone who is widely known and understood. In my opinion, under developing characters sells your story short. A couple of well developed character surrounded by "clones" can be a really good book.
Even better though is an effort like yours that has a full "cast" of well "fleshed out" characters, which makes for something special.

You also did a great job conveying the dynamics between all the different people in your book. You did not just have them as "ships passing in the night", there were definate rivalries, competitiveness, and commraderies. Just reading, you knew how everyone felt about each other. I read "Son of Thunder" as soon as it came out. I have a terrible memory for small details, but many stand out from your work.

Thanks!
I will look forward to more of your work.

Thanks!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Sep 2006 02:48:45
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  23:07:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Red Walker. I'm glad my work clicked with you. I like what you're saying about character differentiation; that was something that was very important to me when I was writing.

Nothing else Realms-related on the present slate, but who knows about the future? I've actually just finished writing a haunted house novel that's been a back-burner project of mine for quite a few years and I'm anxious to start shopping it properly. But then I also just started a Ph.D. So much to do all of a sudden!

-Pfft. Good luck with those PhD studies...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  15:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To think, when it's all over I'll be able to say: "Trust me, I'm a doctor."
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  19:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd let people know that the anthology Clash of Steel 3: Demon is out, and has a story by me called "Into Shards." You can find it on amazon.com: Here

Mod Edit: Shortened the URL somewhat.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Dec 2008 15:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  05:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just discovered something rather fascinating online: http://www.ezustsolyom.hu/content/view/249. So Son of Thunder has been translated into at least one language, Hungarian! I looked at this document for a while before I realized that it is an excerpt of the prologue and first chapter.

I wonder how the Hungarian sales are...
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  16:19:40  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Leeder,

for another topic here in Candlekeep were are collecting lore for adventuring companies:

Is it possible to answer this:

"The Antiquarians" Mercenary company : Son of Thunder

Type: ??? (Recruited veterans ?)

Fixed Base : "

Names and career (all dead ) I got from the book.

Thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  18:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. There's very little on the Antiquarians that isn't in the book, to be honest, but here's some trivia. I modeled them after the Band, and I invented them just after a viewing of The Last Waltz during the leg of the process written at my sister's house in Bournemouth, England (I mention this only because I happen to be back there visiting now). The idea of battle-scarred, road-weary veterans, rock stars or mercenaries, was just what I needed. It broke down like this, as I recall: Royce = Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm = Vonelh, Bessick = Richard Manuel, Gunton = Garth Hudson and Nithinial = Rick Danko ('cause if anyone ever looked like a half-elf, he's the guy). This ended up being a fairly thin conceit but I helped me imagine the characters up initially.

By this logic, I suppose Geildarr would have to represent Bob Dylan. Or maybe Geildarr is Ronnie Hawkins and Mythkar Leng is Dylan. Hmmm...

Anyway, here's what was clear to me about The Antiquarians. They had some career together possibly under the name "Royce's Band," a team of effective dungeon delvers who were one of a number of adventuring companies that Lord Geildarr recruited to scavange local luins and dungeons. They were worshipers of Shaundakul, although not especially devote ones. They proved very effective (in no small part to their varied set of skills, and Gunton's legitimate knowledge of Faerun's history) and Geildarr tapped them to work for him almost exclusively. Only at this point do they become known as "the Antiquarians," dubbed so by Geildarr. They have some misgivings about working for the Zhentarim but can't argue with success, and appreciate Geildarr's willingness to let them do what they do best and admire his devotion to archeological pursuits. They're fairly neutral in their outlook; they simply think that moral questions don't concern them, that they have other concerns and those kind of issues aren't for them.

Their fixed base is certainly Llorkh, though they're sent all around the area (note that they're recalled from a mission to Highstar Lake early on). They're well-known there and probably maintained some sort of residence in town (Big Pink?), but, like a touring rock band, spend a lot more time on the road than at home.

And yeah, they're all dead. My bad. But they could certainly figure in any campaign that takes place before the fall of 1373. Hope I've done some good.

Edited by - Murray Leeder on 06 Aug 2007 19:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  12:21:52  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the details how you got to your idea - and so you did a lot of good .

Thanks a lot for the inside an the information.
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  19:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an interview up on Heidi Ruby Miller's fascinating blog: http://ambasadora.livejournal.com/132535.html. It's to promote Sails & Sorcery, the shortly forthcoming anthology in which my short story "Female Rambling Sailor" appears.

Edited by - Murray Leeder on 06 Aug 2007 19:40:34
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  14:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Murray, I don't know if you still frequent these boards, but I was wondering, are you back in Canada? (and are you back here in Ottawa still studying?)
Also wanted to say I am a bit more than halfway through Son of Thunder and it is excellent and the realmslore contained within is up there. Any chance you will (or are) writing more realms novels?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  15:08:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Leeder still visits from time to time. And I'd assume he's got email alerts for this particular scroll, to notify him when new replies come about.

And, judging from his profile, he's been active here today.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  21:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hey Murray, I don't know if you still frequent these boards, but I was wondering, are you back in Canada? (and are you back here in Ottawa still studying?)
Also wanted to say I am a bit more than halfway through Son of Thunder and it is excellent and the realmslore contained within is up there. Any chance you will (or are) writing more realms novels?

Hello Alisttair. Thanks for the interest! I am indeed here in Ottawa, finished my comprehensive exams and almost ready to start writing my dissertation. I keep writing fiction where I can (recently submitted a story to the Morrigan Books "Phantom Queen Awakes" anthology) but it's very much backburner to my studies right now. I've actually got an article coming out in the next issue of the Journal of Popular Film and Television, with more academic publishing forthcoming.

I have no present connections with WotC, but as for the future, who knows?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2008 :  04:28:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, hope the snow didn't cause you too much trouble this weekend. Hope you get another deal with WotC down the road. I'll keep an eye out for your article.

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  17:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just wish there wasn't ice inside my window.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uh oh, that don't sound good. The snow right now ain't stopping either. I've gone outside to shovel 4 times and counting (part of my job at the elementary school over on Smyth Rd.). Imminent bus strike is gonna clog the snowy roads with more cars also. Gah!!!! Freaking Ottawa weather (must have been worse out west I imagine though, huh?).

Edited by - Alisttair on 09 Dec 2008 18:02:22
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DOUBLE POST - (thought I hit edit reply rather than reply with quote, and went too fast to notice )

note: triple edit for typos

Edited by - Alisttair on 09 Dec 2008 18:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  18:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

Uh oh, that don't sound good. The snow right now ain't stopping either. I've gone outside to shovel 4 times and counting (part of my job at the elementary school over on Smyth Rd.). Imminent bus strike is gonna clog the snowy roads with more cars also. Gah!!!! Freaking Ottawa weather (must have been worse out west I imagine though, huh?).

Out west the snowy season was definitely longer and it can probably be said that the extreme temperatures were lower (-40 once or twice a winter). But somehow the winters I've spent in Ottawa nevertheless feel like the most punishing I've experienced.
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those interest, I have an article in the newest issue of the Journal of Popular Film and Television. It's called "Forget Peter Vincent: Nostalgic, Self-Reflexivity and the Genre Past in Fright Night."
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  00:27:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murray, I've recently been rereading Son of Thunder.

What alignment, race, class, and level do you envision Lanaal Featherbreeze to be? (I know the text says gold elf, but I didn't know if she was some sort of werebird, or something else.)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  14:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

What alignment, race, class, and level do you envision Lanaal Featherbreeze to be? (I know the text says gold elf, but I didn't know if she was some sort of werebird, or something else.)

Hi Eric. Lanaal is a "birdlord" (see "animal lord" from Masters of the Wild), and presumably a fairly high level one given the powers she demonstrates, though I'd need to give it more thought to determine a level. She was born a gold elf but does not identify as one,
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  14:21:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Hi Eric. Lanaal is a "birdlord" (see "animal lord" from Masters of the Wild), and presumably a fairly high level one given the powers she demonstrates, though I'd need to give it more thought to determine a level. She was born a gold elf but does not identify as one,

Thanks!

Something like NG female gold elf ranger 5 / birdlord 6?

(Note the animal lord class was updated in Complete Adventurer.)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2014 :  02:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have to check against all of the abilities she has, but that tentatively sounds right to me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000