Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  21:37:34  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SO I have an actual question for you Richard...But I am unsure of how to ask without being all spoilery. SO X happens in the Companions when Y happens...This will effect Aoth Fezim because X is a big thing about his character. Have you already thought about how this will affect Aoth in future brotherhood novels? ._.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  13:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If we're talking about the same thing, yes, I have thought about it, and I believe I'll be able to handle it.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  20:51:40  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question for you, Mr. Byers, about The Reaver. I know, you won't be able to give away any significant plot details, buuuuuut,... given that the book is set in the very large area of the Sea of Fallen Stars, will we see the Abolethic Soverignty or Xxiphu have any involvement in your books? Or will we get to find out what happens to Xxiphu in your book, even as a brief mention? Any chance Xxiphu will sink deep into the sea to be lost during the Sundering?

PS: I really love the concept of Stedd and really look forward to this chapter in the Sundering!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 25 Aug 2013 20:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  14:03:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess it's not excessively spoilerish to say that The Reaver does not focus on Xxiphu or the Abolethic Sovereignty.

I like aboleths, but there are so many cool things on, under, and around the Sea of Fallen Stars that no one novel could incorporate them all. I had to select elements that would fit together to make what I hope is an entertaining, cohesive story.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  15:40:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I guess it's not excessively spoilerish to say that The Reaver does not focus on Xxiphu or the Abolethic Sovereignty.

I like aboleths, but there are so many cool things on, under, and around the Sea of Fallen Stars that no one novel could incorporate them all. I had to select elements that would fit together to make what I hope is an entertaining, cohesive story.

Woo Hoo! Less killer catfish = I will read this book for sure.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  17:53:26  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Woohoo, excellent news, thanks!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  19:52:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I love that description of aboleths!

And I'm happy to see that we shan't see them in this book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  20:27:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If we're talking about the same thing, yes, I have thought about it, and I believe I'll be able to handle it.
Aoth deserves a very long life. Besides, to every rule, there is always an exception, right? Perhaps this is one of those?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  20:33:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I love that description of aboleths!

And I'm happy to see that we shan't see them in this book.

I’m no big fan of the killer catfish. But I wouldn’t mind seeing them again. Catfish or not, whiskers or no whiskers, they’re still one of the most formidable and interesting races to ever grace the novel line.

Besides, Richard has the power to change a reader’s perception of what he/she likes and dislikes (or at least, most of them). I’m a living example.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  22:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll do something with the aboleths in a subsequent novel. They are, after all, a significant presence in the part of Faerûn I've written about in recent years. It seems fairly likely that some of my characters will run afoul of them eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  01:47:57  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe I'll do something with the aboleths in a subsequent novel. They are, after all, a significant presence in the part of Faerûn I've written about in recent years. It seems fairly likely that some of my characters will run afoul of them eventually.

NooOoOOooo!

*cough*

**waves hand and applies Jedi mind trick powerz**
Aboleth are not the villains you're looking for.

Perhaps demons, devils, undead. Yes. Classic villains are best.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  04:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your opinion is noted

For what it's worth, I have a number of other stories already in mind that do not feature aboleths, so I doubt I'll resort to them anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  14:13:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Given the realms and races involved (which are somehow linked to them), I was even half-expecting them to appear in The Spectral Blaze.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  03:18:12  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They allowed R. A . Salvatore to blow up Neverwinter...Perhaps they should allow you to blow up aboleths.

Blow them up off of Faerun during the Sundering.

Blow them up forevers...and evers...and evers.

I would not complain them being in one of your books for that reason.

...Just that reason. >.>
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  05:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just curious...what is it about them you don't like? Do you think they're a stupid monster, period, or do you think they could be okay in some settings but don't work well in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  13:44:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just curious...what is it about them you don't like? Do you think they're a stupid monster, period, or do you think they could be okay in some settings but don't work well in the Realms?

I think they just dont fit the realms, I hesitate to brand anyones creation as stupid, but with me seeing a "catfish" whenever one appears in the narrative....it will never work for me. I can only hope that aat lest they fade into the background and are there for gaimning purposes, but never in fiction. They'd be great in Lovecraftian fan-fiction or somesuch. It always felt to me like they were someones favorite fantasy monster that was just thrown in to realms. For the types of things they do I prefer Mind-Flayers. And for a powerful group that feels "other-worldly", the Paherimm are about as far as I like to stretch things.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 28 Aug 2013 13:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  14:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I follow you, and actually, it has always seemed to me that psionic powers in general do not feel very Realms-ish. Thus, I rarely depict them. But I have done so on occasion, because, as you note, mind flayers (and alhoons) are cool.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  14:43:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I follow you, and actually, it has always seemed to me that psionic powers in general do not feel very Realms-ish. Thus, I rarely depict them. But I have done so on occasion, because, as you note, mind flayers (and alhoons) are cool.

Ah I forgot alhoons....yes they are cool as well, but psionics is like a curry for my cooking....a little goes along way
I would not enjoy a type like Kimmimurel(sp?) from Jarlaxle's band in every novel, it would overwhelm me.

But I greatly enjoyed the novels that did have an illithid or alhoon or two and Drizzt's encounter with the illithid community/hive mind was fun to read.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  15:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On a similar note, I'm not inherently a huge fan of FR arch-devils derived from real-world mythology like Mephistopheles and Asmodeus, even though authors like Erin and Paul write about them to superb effect. Malevolent deities like Shar and Bane feel a lot more distinctly and uniquely Realms-ish to me, and when I need a Big Honking Spirit of Ultimate Evil in my stuff, I tend to look to them.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2013 :  16:36:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a similar note, I'm not inherently a huge fan of FR arch-devils derived from real-world mythology like Mephistopheles and Asmodeus, even though authors like Erin and Paul write about them to superb effect. Malevolent deities like Shar and Bane feel a lot more distinctly and uniquely Realms-ish to me, and when I need a Big Honking Spirit of Ultimate Evil in my stuff, I tend to look to them.

I agree with you there as well....I like my fiction disconected from any real worl mythos as possible. Be it bad or good guys!

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  13:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some may be interested in this anecdote from this year's Gen Con:

http://rleebyers.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  13:35:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was certainly an umm interesting gift you got but as you said I guess you can find D&D fans everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  17:43:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dislike the way they've been portrayed and used. They are decidedly non-humanoid, and have "alien" origins. It's been said they have an entirely alien way of thinking. The underlying idea is that they are supposed to be Cthulhu-esque, horrific and mind-numbingly terrifying.

But they have rarely been portrayed as scary, or even all that alien. They work through agents to obtain information, they essentially want to (as a far-far-far end goal) want to enslave humanoids to eventually control Toril. The way they control humanoids is no different, no scarier than a charm spell, and there's been no attempt (as far as I know) to make them horrifying: no twisting of body or spirit, no permanent deconstruction or rebuilding of their captured slaves.

The thing about Cthulu-esque themes and stories that make them scary is the gradual loss of physical humanity, destruction of the mind/soul, making people (or humanoids) do horrific things they'd never engage in otherwise, and twisting of the mind into insanity for reasons that make sense to the reader if not the victim.

But in the Realms, aboleth are really no more than "standard monsters" that happen to have psionics. They're not really any scarier or mysterious than an umber hulk or an owlbear. Dangerous in combat, depending on one's level, but not horrifyingly scary.

Edited by - Therise on 04 Sep 2013 17:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  22:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I am vengeance. I am the night. I am...Batfleck!" is my new column on Airlock Alpha.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9794/i-am-vengeance-i-am-the-night-i-am-batfleck.html
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  13:35:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unlike seemingly most of of the Internet I agree that Affleck might very well turn out to be a good Batman. After all people made just as much fuss when Heath Ledger was chosen to play the Joker and that worked out pretty well.
I will admit to having a few reservations, mostly about his ability to convincingly fight like a badass, but still overall I think its a good choice.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  15:38:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is worth noting that liches (which you used in your books often, to my delight) are like psionicists in the sense that (1) they are pretty much immune to mental attacks, (2) most of their spell arsenal are permanently embedded in their minds, (3) they endure mental fatigue far better than their living counterparts, and (4) their mind/spirit survives even if their physical forms are destroyed.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2013 :  15:48:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I am vengeance. I am the night. I am...Batfleck!" is my new column on Airlock Alpha.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9794/i-am-vengeance-i-am-the-night-i-am-batfleck.html
Agreed on everything except the Daredevil part. I really think he was a miscast there. Bad script just added to the problem.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  23:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I answered "The Usual Questions" (in other words, I was interviewed):

http://www.festivale.info/questions/richardleebyers2.htm
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2013 :  23:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I answered "The Usual Questions" (in other words, I was interviewed):

http://www.festivale.info/questions/richardleebyers2.htm
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  15:42:15  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I just wanted to stop by and say that I've been highly enjoying all your novels as of late.

I had fallen from the fold (yes, due to 4th Ed), but seeing such reviews, I had to come back, and have really taken to the Brotherhood.

I highly enjoyed the 'Haunted Lands' and have been going through the Brotherhood series as soon as I can get copies. Looking to start Book 3 soon!

So, no matter the time period or edition, it's fantastic to see an author bring to life memorable characters put into fantastic situations. Also, being able to explore such different lands of Faerun through the Brotherhood has been great as well.

I truly hope that there will be more (but, I have to see how it all ends first!)

Thanks; a fan.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000