Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  20:53:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got an email from the Amazon, a few minutes ago (first paragraph modified slightly):

quote:
We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on some previous date (Order# yadda yadda). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Richard Lee Byers "Blind God's Bluff: A Billy Fox Novel (The Billy Fox Novels)"
Previous estimated arrival date: January 14, 2013 - January 17, 2013
New estimated arrival date: December 21, 2012 - December 27, 2012

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  21:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that, WR. I have had my author copies for several days now, so I'm not too surprised that it's going to come out a little ahead of schedule.

Dec. 21st...have I mentioned that the book makes a great Christmas present?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  01:38:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the "Billy Fox" novels, Richard.

Could you tell me a little about the protagonist and this series?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  07:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Sage.

This is the first Billy Fox novel. There will be more.

The genre is urban fantasy. Billy is a vet of the war in Afghanistan who, since his return home, has become a professional gambler. Unfortunately, a streak of bad luck has left him owing lots of money to a loan shark.

A chance meeting gives him the chance to earn the money to buy back his markers. The person he meets has suffered an injuries to the eyes that make it impossible for him to play in a certain poker tournament. Yet for reasons that become clear as the story unfolds, he MUST play, or someone must play as his proxy. He recruits Billy.

Billy soon discovers that all the other players in the game are supernatural beings of one sort or another. (The story posits the sort of urban-fantasy secret world in the shadows of our mundane reality with creatures of many different types coexisting, the kind of world Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green write about.) They use their magic to cheat at the table. Worse, what happens away from the table is tacitly regarded as part of the game, too, and the play there can include anything up to and including murder.

And the story goes on from there.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  08:33:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds very interesting... and exactly what I'm looking for in terms of expanding my shelf of urban fantasy stories.

I'll be picking this one up for sure!

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  15:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard,

I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying Called to Darkness very much.

--Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  18:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it, Hawkins!

Wait. You have a copy? I thought the release date was Jan. 1.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  18:36:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They started sending out the subscription copies last week. Only reason I've not read it yet is that international shipping takes time (and I'm not fond of reading books on the laptop).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  18:38:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for non-subscribers who would like to read it in electronic format, the release day is this Wednesday* (19/12).

*A day named for a supernatural being who lost one of his eyes, incidentally.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 17 Dec 2012 18:39:38
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool! Thanks for the information!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it is one of the cool things about being a Pathfinder Tales subscriber.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  00:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forgive me for belaboring what's already probably clear from the last few posts, but hey, just in case anything remains ambiguous:

The Paizo website has made my novel Pathfinder Tales: Called to Darkness available as an ebook starting this Wednesday, 12/19/12. You can order the paperback there, too; you just won't get it quite as soon. Or, you can wait and order the novel from Amazon and they'll start sending it out on the 1/1/13 release date.

To order from Paizo:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8v37?Pathfinder-Tales-Called-to-Darkness
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  01:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Audible.com is releasing four of my Forgotten Realms novels as audiobooks on 1/8/13. I'm hoping these will the first of many. The novels are the three books that make up the Year of Rogue Dragons plus Whisper of Venom. More info here:

http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_topbox_1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  02:39:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Forgive me for belaboring what's already probably clear from the last few posts, but hey, just in case anything remains ambiguous:

The Paizo website has made my novel Pathfinder Tales: Called to Darkness available as an ebook starting this Wednesday, 12/19/12. You can order the paperback there, too; you just won't get it quite as soon. Or, you can wait and order the novel from Amazon and they'll start sending it out on the 1/1/13 release date.

To order from Paizo:

Just got my hardcopy today, with my monthly Paizo shipment. Unfortunately, my reading list right now is taller than my son...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  03:40:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to wait until next month, unfortunately, since there's been a delay in the paperback release of Called to Darkness here.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  06:02:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

To order from Paizo:

Just got my hardcopy today, with my monthly Paizo shipment. Unfortunately, my reading list right now is taller than my son...

Tell him to grow faster.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  04:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas, all!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  05:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new column for Airlock Alpha (written Monday) just got posted today, the same day that Amazing Spider-Man #700 came out. Check it out and see how utterly I failed to predict the fate of Peter Parker and the future of our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9459/astrojive-face-it-tiger-you-just-busted-out.html
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  06:09:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My new column for Airlock Alpha (written Monday) just got posted today, the same day that Amazing Spider-Man #700 came out. Check it out and see how utterly I failed to predict the fate of Peter Parker and the future of our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9459/astrojive-face-it-tiger-you-just-busted-out.html

I'm ecstatic over what's coming for Amazing Superior Spider-Man. And the twist certainly wasn't what I was expecting either. [I was secretly hoping it would somehow be Miguel "Spider-Man 2099" O'Hara, but... this works just as well.]

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  13:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Sage: It's definitely interesting, although I found myself unconvinced that the process of psychological/moral transformation we saw in the final pages of the story would really have happened.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  01:32:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Sage: It's definitely interesting, although I found myself unconvinced that the process of psychological/moral transformation we saw in the final pages of the story would really have happened.

I'll agree with that.

I'm still of a mind that this is really nothing more than a rather bold experiment in character-development. I can't expect that this "new" status for Spidey will remain beyond the coming year, because, quite frankly, the psychological fallout from such a transformation might be a little too difficult to explore -- for any great length of time -- in comic book format. But, still, I'm intrigued by the potential for new insights into the character.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  21:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  04:27:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Happy New Year, Richard.

Prophet of the Dead is just a month away. Don't we get to see a sample chapter?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  10:32:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a sample chapter of his Pathfinder novel to tide you over until we know the answer?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  10:40:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Kajehase. But unfortunately, such kind of story is not really my cup of tea.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  14:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Dennis. Not yet, apparently. Unfortunately, I don't control these things.

Hi, Kajehase. Thanks for finding that. When I looked yesterday, it wasn't there yet.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  14:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm now a contributor to The Night Bazaar, Night Shade Books's communal authorial blog. My first post lists some of my favorite works of fantasy, SF, and horror from 2012. Check it out here:

http://night-bazaar.com/my-short-list-of-the-best-of-2012.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  17:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amazon now has the Kindle edition of my urban fantasy Blind God's Bluff:

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Gods-Bluff-Novels-ebook/dp/B00AXS5IDS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357580961&sr=8-2&keywords=blind+god%27s+bluff
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  13:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As of today my urban fantasy novel Blind God’s Bluff and nine of my Forgotten Realms novels are available as audiobooks. For more info, click the link and then Search “Richard Lee Byers.”

http://www.audible.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000