Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2012 :  23:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those who are interested, I have a new blog post up about revising a novel in accordance with an editor's notes:

http://rleebyers.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2012 :  23:40:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Very insightful, Richard. Thanks.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  20:06:19  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Pathfinder novel too?
*sigh* more books to add to my reading list. =D

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 12 Jul 2012 20:07:53
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  20:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep. For those who are keeping score:

Called to Darkness, my first Pathfinder novel comes out in December.

Blind God's Bluff, my new urban fantasy novel, comes out in January.

Prophet of the Dead, my next Forgotten Realms/Brotherhood of the Griffon novel, comes out in February.

Then I fade into obscurity again.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  13:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My July column is up at Airlock Alpha. In it, I speculate about what will (and should) happen in "The Dark Knight Rises" (specifically, whether or not Batman is going to kick the oxygen habit.)

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9251/astrojive-should-the-dark-knight-die.html
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  19:10:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats very true. I myself would like to see some unexpected twists in the Batman movie and if he does bite the big one it had better be spectacular.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2012 :  01:44:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

My July column is up at Airlock Alpha. In it, I speculate about what will (and should) happen in "The Dark Knight Rises" (specifically, whether or not Batman is going to kick the oxygen habit.)

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9251/astrojive-should-the-dark-knight-die.html

I've been keeping up on most of the theories folk are posting online about how TDKR will end this interpretation of the Batman-saga.

One of the more interesting plots I've read, has Batman "die" at the end of the film, with the mantle of Gotham's protector being passed on to "a" Robin/Nightwing-of-sorts. Possibly laying the foundation for a spin-off trilogy under a new director [since Nolan's confirmed that TDKR will be his last film in the franchise].

I'd like to see that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  09:53:36  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,
First, thank you for fielding questions here. I am a new fan.
*small bow*
I figured the easiest way to get the list of everything you’ve written (Realms and beyond) would be to hit your homepage. Under your profile here at Candlekeep that is listed as…
stonehill. org / rlb
That points to…
www. richardleebyers.com/
which redirects to GoDaddy as a page marked for deletion.

I checked the…
forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Lee_Byers
but that doesn’t mention any of your works from Dragon Magazine or anything beyond the Realms. As far as a list of your works for Dragon I came up with...
#273 Shamur's Wager by Richard Lee Byers
#283 Garden of Souls by Richard Lee Byers
#320 New In Town by Richard Lee Byers
#327 The Silverfish by Richard Lee Byers
#343 Rivals by Richard Lee Byers
Am I missing any short stories from Dragon?

The most comprehensive list of your work I found was under…
www. fictiondb.com/author/richard-lee-byers~31969.htm

Is there something better to keep up to date on all your works?

Best Wishes,
Thrasy

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 24 Jul 2012 09:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2012 :  14:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Thrasy. Nice to meet you. I'm glad you enjoy my stuff.

I've been at this for quite a while, and unfortunately, I don't know of anyone (including me) who has a truly comprehensive bibliography available on the Internet. But if you're only interested in my Forgotten Realms stuff, then things get easier. I believe your list of stories from Dragon is complete. I did a short story called "Serpentsong" as a freebie for the Wizards of the Coast website. I hope that if you go looking, it's still available there. I also had short fiction in the anthologies Realms of Magic, Realms of Shadow, Realms of the Dragons, Realms of the Elves, and Realms of War. Each new novel contains a list of my previous ones.

If you follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or here for that matter, or read my blog on Livejournal, you'll see me plug each new project as it becomes available.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  00:20:33  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I speculate about what will (and should) happen in "The Dark Knight Rises" (specifically, whether or not Batman is going to kick the oxygen habit.)
Ah, come on.
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

but that doesn’t mention any of your works from Dragon Magazine or anything beyond the Realms.
See also two entries in the Dragondex.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  20:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In reference to the above, let me mention that you can find most if not all of my books, including the out-of-print ones, by looking me up on Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  20:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The anthology When the Villain Comes Home is now available. Ed and Gabrielle Harbowy edited it together. Ed has a story in it, too, as do Erik and I, Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Villain-Comes-Gabrielle-Harbowy/dp/1897492499/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  20:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that that Amazon link is content to represent the book title as When the Villain Comes. Now that could be a very different anthology.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  08:39:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No hardbound?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2012 :  14:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  21:14:14  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the link to the online Serpentsong" freebie story. I loved it.
“The first one is free” is an interesting business model. How Floridian of you sir!

Just to clarify, when I meant fan, I meant fan of yours.
I think I found most of your works beyond the Forgotten Realms “Enemy Within” ect via Amazon and the Google.

Have you written stories for other magazines beyond Dragon?

PS I enjoy Forgotten Realms novels. But sometimes it’s like working a mine. You get some copper, some semi-precious stones. Ever since I discovered your works I have been like a greedy dwarf who’s blundered upon a heavily laden vein of gold, and I am just smacking the walls and laughing.

Enough gushing. Thank you very much.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  01:30:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Serpentsong is a nice little gem of a story. I liked it. I read it after finishing The Haunted Lands trilogy. Though looking back, I suppose it would have been better if I read it prior to Unclean.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  03:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wrote for some small-press horror magazines early in my career. But I didn't write for other magazines when I was writing for Dragon and haven't written for any magazines since.

I have had quite a few stories in anthologies.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  21:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out the cover for my next Brotherhood of the Griffon novel, Prophet of the Dead:

http://www.amazon.com/Prophet-Dead-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/0786963611
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  21:17:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I should say it's really top-notch.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those who are interested, my 2012 Gen Con schedule. This is where to find me if you want to say hi, get books signed, or listen to me expound on whatever.

THURSDAY

11:00 AM – SEMINAR – In the Mood
1:00 PM – SEMINAR – Painting with Words

FRIDAY

8:00 AM – SEMINAR – This Means War
9:00 AM – SEMINAR – Mano a Mano
11:00 AM – SEMINAR – Stealing from History
Noon – SEMINAR – Pathfinder Tales Author Summit
3:00 PM – WORKSHOP – Advanced World Building
4:00PM – SIGNING – Wizards of the Coast booth (Exhibition Hall)

SATURDAY

9:00 AM – SEMINAR – Breaking Into RPG Fiction
Noon – SEMINAR – Self-Publishing
3:00 PM – SIGNING – D&D Experience room

SUNDAY

9:00 AM – SEMINAR – Self-Promotion
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  19:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gabrielle Harbowy's new blog posts contains a brief interview with me that relates to my story in the new anthology When the Villain Comes Home. Check it out here:

http://www.gabrielle-edits.com/2012/08/06/meet-villains-2/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  00:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm currently writing a novelette about the adventuring duo Basil and Moebius, who star in a forthcoming series of graphic novels. Timothy Zahn is doing a story, too, so I'm in excellent company.

Basil and Moebius also appear in "No Rest for the Wicked," a short film starring Zachary Levi, Ray Park, and Malcolm McDowell. If you're going to DragonCon, you can catch it there.

To find out more about Basil & Moebius, click the link:

http://www.whoisthecollector.com
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  08:47:50  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Check out the cover for my next Brotherhood of the Griffon novel, Prophet of the Dead:

http://www.amazon.com/Prophet-Dead-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/0786963611

I hate being the new fan.
On the cover is VII as in 7
Did I miss book BotG 5 and 6? I Amazoned/Googled and came up short.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  13:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The numbering on the cover should be V, not VII.

People here on Candlekeep noticed the discrepancy, I reported it to my editor, and as a result (I'm told), it will be corrected.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  17:48:24  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, have you had a chance to see The Dark Knight Rises? If so what were your thoughts about the movie?

How much free reign to do have with characters like Aoth, Cera, and Brimstone? It seems like Bob is on a tight leash as far as his Drizzt novels go. I was wondering if that holds true for all the Realms authors.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  08:54:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Richard.

Is The Reaver still part of the Brotherhood series or a stand-alone for The Sundering sextet?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  12:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Entromancer: I liked The Dark Knight Rises although I agree with Peter David's comment that it's weird that a big part of the previous movie involves the Joker's failure to reduce citizens of Gotham to savagery...and then the villains in the new movie succeed in doing precisely that.

Drizzt generates a lot of money for Wizards. None of my characters is comparable in terms of the company's bottom line, and for that reason, I might be able to whack any or all of them if I really wanted to. Although I hope Brotherhood of the Griffon has come to seem like a valuable enough part of the Realms that people would try to talk me out of making a move that precluded further novels.

Dennis: The Reaver is about a new character. The book's not a Brotherhood of the Griffon story.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  00:38:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, thanks for participating in the Candlekeep seminar. It was great to see you there and hear you share your thoughts.

It's much appreciated.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  01:48:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem, Red Walker. It was a privilege to be there.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000