Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  14:50:21  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok.. I will check with them, but, would you like to have a non-oficial translation? If you had the copyright, would you permit it to us? (of course, only for the Serpentsong that's being already downloaded)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  20:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
edappel: If I held the copyright, I might well give permission for you to translate the story. But since I don't, it doesn't really matter. Sorry. Did you ask WotC, and did they turn you down?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  20:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the info on my next FR novel. It's called The Captive Flame, and it's Book One of a new trilogy entitled The Brotherhood of the Griffon. WotC's ad copy describes it as follows:

The Brotherhood of the Griffon emerges from the ashes of the war in Thay a mere shadow of its former glory, but free of the machinations of wizards and undead alike. Only to find themselves pawns in the midst of a new game just as deadly—and this one has only just begun.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  21:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

edappel: If I held the copyright, I might well give permission for you to translate the story. But since I don't, it doesn't really matter. Sorry. Did you ask WotC, and did they turn you down?

AFAIK, Wizards do not answer to this type of request.
I already ask them the authorization to translate Elaine's short hitory of the crinties in order to insert it in our French website.
I firstly asked Elaine, who answered as you did, Richard.
Then I wrote to WoTC, once, twice, three and four times (by email and not by real letter). No answer came back to me up to now.

The story is now on line and no one told me I should have not (not sure this last sentence is correctly written !)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  21:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I already ask them the authorization to translate Elaine's short History of the crinties in order to insert it in our French website.
Then I wrote to WoTC, once, twice, three and four times (by email and not by real letter). No answer came back to me up to now.

The story is now on line and no one told me I should have not (not sure this last sentence is correctly written !)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  22:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fillow: Thanks for your insights. I had no idea how likely WotC was to respond to such a request, since I've never asked them for anything comparable. But who knows, maybe edappel will have better luck than you did. If I've learned anything about the book business (and admittedly, that's a big if), it's that there's a whole lot of random variability.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  23:09:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

I already ask them the authorization to translate Elaine's short History of the crinties in order to insert it in our French website.

Were you sending these requests to a general email, or did you target a specific individual? If you sent an email to a specific person in the fiction department, you'd have a better chance of getting a response, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's the info on my next FR novel. It's called The Captive Flame, and it's Book One of a new trilogy entitled The Brotherhood of the Griffon. WotC's ad copy describes it as follows:

The Brotherhood of the Griffon emerges from the ashes of the war in Thay a mere shadow of its former glory, but free of the machinations of wizards and undead alike. Only to find themselves pawns in the midst of a new game just as deadly—and this one has only just begun.

Good news Richard, I was about to ask you. Is it expected for this year? I'm looking foward for this trilogy, I enjoyed all your work this far!

Dany
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  03:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dany: Glad to hear you like my stuff. The Captive Flame is scheduled for April, 2010.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:04:37  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of Aoth appear on your next book?

And about my request to WotC, I didn't find SerpentSong on the site! I have Realms of Dragon, but the others translators don't have.
By the way, first I'm trying to find at least more 2 guys to help me on this task... Then I'll ask WotC... Sincerily, there is MANY people who translates Wizards corebooks without permission, but I promise that I'll try to make the right thing.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  05:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
edappel: Serpentsong should still be on the WotC site somewhere. I think.
Since the next trilogy's called The Brotherhood of the Griffon, I don't suppose I'm giving away any big secrets by saying that yes, Aoth does play a central role. The poor guy just can't stay out of trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  07:24:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serpentsong

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  06:54:32  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since the next trilogy's called The Brotherhood of the Griffon, I don't suppose I'm giving away any big secrets by saying that yes, Aoth does play a central role. The poor guy just can't stay out of trouble.

Ha-Ha! Now I know that he survives!!! Unholy have already left Amazon...

And thanks for you too Wooly... I really tried to find it.. Now I don't know how i didn't.

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  20:27:34  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers...

What should we wait for your short story at "Realms of Dead"? A prologue to "Brotherhood of the Griffon"?

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  22:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, edappel. No, the story in Realms of the Dead tells of an incident that happens between Books 2 and 3 of The Haunted Land (the same way my story in Realms of War told of an event that happens between Books 1 and 2.) One nice thing about writing a series where time passes between volumes is that it's easy to come up additional stories. You just stick them in the holes.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  15:35:24  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, as others have said, "Realms is Dead" is still coming out....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2009 :  17:07:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean Realms of the Dead.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2009 :  05:07:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those who are interested, I finally have a new entry up on my blog at richardleebyers.com.

I have a story in the new anthology Gamer Fantastic, edited by Kerrie Hughes and Martin H. Greenberg.

And finally, I'll be at Gen Con in Indianapolis. If anyone would like to find me, to get a book signed or just to say hi, I'm doing a bunch of seminars in the Symposium programming track.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2009 :  22:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a new blog entry up at richardleebyers.com.

In case I haven't mentioned it, you can Friend me on Facebook or even follow me on Twitter, although I don't guarantee that it will be especially entertaining or enlightening.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2009 :  07:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a new blog entry up at richardleebyers.com: "Things I Learned About Science from Popular Entertainment."
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  20:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a story in the new DAW Books anthology ZOMBIE RACCOONS AND KILLER BUNNIES, edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Kerrie Hughes.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  00:46:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The title alone, has piqued my interest. And that almost never happens.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  14:58:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cover of the Captive Flame

Looks good.

I know some people didn't like the Haunted Lands, but I found them enjoyable. So I look forward to reading these novels.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  15:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Brimstone. I really like that cover, too. Glad you're looking forward to the books.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2009 :  21:15:16  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone
I know some people didn't like the Haunted Lands, but I found them enjoyable. So I look forward to reading these novels.

Fully agree. I have no intention to get into 4e novels, but I was willing to do so for Paul Kemp and I am willing to do so for Richard because I like your work (Black Bouquet was my first FR novel and I loved it) and I very much liked The Haunted Lands. So count me in.

Btw: yes, nice cover.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  19:34:13  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, I was just wondering if you could give us some information on where in the realms your new series will take place?

Thanks in advance!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 08 Dec 2009 20:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  01:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, skychrome. Book One centers on Chessenta.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  02:03:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard!

So basically the brotherhood starts not that far off from Aglarond and Thay.
I am curious to see, if the story will carry them on to Airspur...

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  23:42:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a son of the Despanas of Ust Natha and a cousin of those of Rilauven I couldn't help finding it interesting to read on the 333rd page of Dissolution, (wich by the way is an most excellent book. I loved the feel of the non-noble areas. You're good, Richard...), that apparently a branch of my family also exists in the city of Menzoberra. Do you have more information on them? Where did the dynasty originate from? What is their status in Menzoberranzan? Do they have connections with Ust Natha? Do they want to restore matriarchy to Rilauven? I would guess that they actually are Lolthites (now Llothites) who fled the coup in Rilauven and then established themselves in Menzoberranzan...

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2009 :  02:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Duneth.

First off, glad you liked the book, and thanks for telling me so.

As for the family in question, if the information isn't in the book, they're whatever you want them to be. Come to think of it, even if the info is in the book, within your game and your imagination, they're still whatever you want them to be.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000