Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  15:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At this point, I'm honestly not sure. But maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  00:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back aging with some questions that needed to be answered.

Many in my gaming group and some other friends have read Unclean now, and we just have some questions?

We were just talking about which monster you used in your book.

Did you use teas monsters in you’re book Unclean ?

3.5E - Monster Manual II

Page 114 Glimmerskin

----------------------------------------

3.5E - Monster Manual II

Page 96 Famine Spirit

----------------------------------------
We can’t wait to hear more about thay and Malark Springhill

Great work Richard Lee Byers

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  05:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't believe I used a glimmerskin. I did use a famine spirit.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2007 :  02:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shameless Plug Department: It's not a Forgotten Realms project, obviously, but those who like my work may be interested to know that The Enemy Within, my first Warhammer novel, is now available in both the UK and the USA.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  06:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
August will be a big convention month for me. I'll be at the North American Science Fiction Convention (AKA Archon) in St. Louis the first weekend, and at Gen Con in Indy the third weekend. So if any Candlekeep guys want to shoot the breeze, grab a meal, get books autographed, say hi, or whatever, please look me up.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2007 :  22:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard what about part 2 the book after Unclean when will it be out, and if it’s possible it would be great if our old sage Alaundo could read it before it comes out, just as last time.

Let us hear how long you are in your work.

.. Sorry Alaundo - fore asking this question before asking Richard, but you did a great job last time

Best regards

Vic

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 05 Aug 2007 22:38:17
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  04:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Book Two comes out in March, 2008. I hope WotC will let Alaundo review it in advance, but ultimately it's up to them, not me, so I can't guarantee it.
Anyone impatient to see a bit more of the craziness overtaking Thay may want to check out my story in Realms of War. It takes place several weeks after the end of Unclean.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  04:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, I should have said the story takes place several TENDAYS after the end of Unclean. Dang, I can never keep that straight the first time I write anything. When I'm doing a story, I always have to catch and fix it when I rewrite.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  04:29:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you are continuing to support your current trilogy with short stories, as you did with the Year of Rogue Dragons stories that you wrote in the anthologies and Dragon Magazine while the series was going. I like the context that they set the main story in, and the fact that you can cover some side issues that you may not have had room to expound upon in the main story, and it helps to make sure that the story doesn't happen in a vacuum, because at the very least the trilogy will be supported by short stories as well.

Great to hear Richard, thanks for the news.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  04:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you like that strategy, Knight. I like it too. Unfortunately, the demise of Dragon means that I probably won't be able to do as many side stories for any other project as I did for Year of Rogue Dragons. But I'll do them when I can.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  10:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was at my book store yesterday I he had never heard of Realms of War. When will that book be out?

Thanks fore the quick reply Richard

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 07 Aug 2007 10:08:16
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  15:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
August, '08, apparently. Which means, not until after Book Two of my trilogy. Not ideal from my point of view, but I hope people will still enjoy my contribution to the anthology.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  13:01:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

August, '08, apparently. Which means, not until after Book Two of my trilogy. Not ideal from my point of view, but I hope people will still enjoy my contribution to the anthology.

We certainly won't hold it against you!!

It really won't be too bad that way, I was just looking at my Wish list on Amazon and the new FR books that I want to read are coming out rapid fire for the next year or so. And it will be a nice little bridge between you 2nd and 3rd books for us hardcore Byers Fans! ;)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  04:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just polished off Unclean a few days ago. What else is there to say?

What a freaking awesome opener!

It's about damned time that Szass Tam made a move! I really enjoyed the book.

As far as questions go... it isn't about Unclean, but about Enemy Within; is it Warhammer or 40k?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  06:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warrax: Glad to hear you enjoyed Unclean.
The Enemy Within is your basic medieval Warhammer, not 40k.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  08:57:04  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard!

I have not been able to read Unclean yet. It is on my to-read list though, do not doubt. However, I was wondering what time span this trilogy covers? Also, do you take note in your trilogy of the effects of the 'spellplague' and how it (might) effect spellcasters in the Realms? After all, there are a few powerful and power hungry once in Thay.

I know, it is a sessible topic. But maybe you are able to give a hint or two!?

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Sep 2007 08:58:45
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  15:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Warrax: Glad to hear you enjoyed Unclean.
The Enemy Within is your basic medieval Warhammer, not 40k.

Thanks for that. Any hopes of getting a 40k novel out of you? :D
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  20:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ergdusch: Very sorry, but I can't give anything away. All I can say is, read the trilogy and all will be revealed.
Warrax: I'd be happy to do a 40k novel, but the publisher seems more interested in having me work on medieval Warhammer for the time being. But who knows, maybe someday.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  10:00:05  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Having recently re-read Maiden of Pain, I wonder if some characters of this book, mainly the Loviatans, I'd guess, will see a mentioning in the upcoming Haunted Lands - books? Kameron did a good job in portraying the Loviatans as more than the stereotypical sado-maso lasses and some more of the same (i.e. anti-stereotypical) would surely give more depths to understanding of the various faiths.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  15:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zanan: To be honest, the Loviatans won't play a big role (unless I suddenly see that they need to when I sit down to write Book Three.) Thayan society is very complex, and when you're trying to tell a big story about it in just over 300,000 words, it simply isn't possible to showcase every component of it.
I definitely will not use specific characters that Kam created. Which is by no means a knock on him. I try to avoid using characters created in other people's novels because I wouldn't want to take them someplace the creator doesn't want them to go, and so interfere with his ability to write more of his own stories about them. (Sourcebook characters, on the other hand, seem to me to be fair game if WotC gives the green light to use them.)
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  16:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ergdusch: Very sorry, but I can't give anything away. All I can say is, read the trilogy and all will be revealed.
Warrax: I'd be happy to do a 40k novel, but the publisher seems more interested in having me work on medieval Warhammer for the time being. But who knows, maybe someday.

Ah well, as the publisher wills, I suppose.

Great job on Unclean, again; I was really enthused to finally see Szass Tam DOING something instead of biding his time as he has for the last decade of our world's time. :)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  18:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zanan: To be honest, the Loviatans won't play a big role (unless I suddenly see that they need to when I sit down to write Book Three.) Thayan society is very complex, and when you're trying to tell a big story about it in just over 300,000 words, it simply isn't possible to showcase every component of it.
I definitely will not use specific characters that Kam created. Which is by no means a knock on him. I try to avoid using characters created in other people's novels because I wouldn't want to take them someplace the creator doesn't want them to go, and so interfere with his ability to write more of his own stories about them. (Sourcebook characters, on the other hand, seem to me to be fair game if WotC gives the green light to use them.)

Thanks for the answer! BTW, Kameron did change the ranking order in The Manor in his novel (so Spellbound, UE ain't longer up-to-date), just in case the high priestess of Loviatar does make an appearance somewhere.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there

I recently came to read Unclean and successfully did so in one sitting, it was that enjoyable. In fact, I would go out on a limb and so it's the best Forgotten Realms novel I've had the pleasure to read in months, so kudos to you.

I love the depth you've given to the characters involved. It seems a simple thing, but lately I've been reading a scary amount of novels where characterisation falls by the wayside. You've made Szass Tam a very interesting fellow again.

I can only echo the other posters who have said the Simbul's Gift is a must-read if you decide to do anything with the character of Lauzoril. I didn't know so many people had read that novel, but as it seems so many have read it and enjoyed it, I think it'd be a shame if some of the Lauzoril plots weren't touched on.

All in all, a great novel and an immense pleasure to read.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very glad you liked it, Lord of Bones.
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  03:14:30  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Byers,

I'm currently reading The Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy, late into the second book right now, that you wrote while anxiously awaiting the looming following to Unclean, which I also enjoyed. Basically, I haven't read a novel of yours I didn't enjoy and they've served as a great resource in my own projects.

I do have a question about the events taking place during that time period, and specifically Nartheling (fang dragon near Thay) who is linked to the Cult of the Dragon. What were the other cells of the cult doing during that time? Actively seeking to transform Dragons in Dracoliches, causing distractions like what he did with Vaasa, perhaps seeking to destroy lore of lesser import? Or just biding time until victory was assured?

Thanks!

Alright, got an error so I hope this isn't a double post BTW.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  16:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dirtywick: During the Year of Rogue Dragons, all the cells of the Cult of the Dragon are working to further Sammaster's master plan in various ways. Precisely what a particular cell is doing, if I didn't feature it in the trilogy (or in Queen of the Depths) is open to conjecture. If you're running a game that relates to the trilogy, you can basically have the cell doing any wild and crazy thing you want. As long as what it's doing is evil, I'm sure you can think of some sort of rationale for how this sort of skullduggery serves the grand design.
I didn't use Nartheling in the trilogy, so that goes for him, too.
Glad to hear you're enjoying my stuff.
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  19:06:57  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answer.

What references have you found most useful when detailing Thay and the various personalities found there?

Heh, in case you couldn't tell I have a particular interest in Thay and Aglarond ;)

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  03:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unapproachable East and the old 2nd Edition sourcebook on Thay, the title of which escapes me at the moment. I think maybe it's just called Red Wizards.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  03:04:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Twas Dreams of the Red Wizards.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  03:37:56  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, I just ordered that!

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000