Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  23:35:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Queen of the Depths is set in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars.
George: Thanks for the tip.

Really? In the Sea of Fallen Stars, as in underwater?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  09:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Queen of the Depths is set in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars.
George: Thanks for the tip.

Really? In the Sea of Fallen Stars, as in underwater?

I would expect so. Umberlee is from the depths, as we know, so I would think there would be some underwater involvement as well as above water.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  18:33:11  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage Send BrokenRulz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BrokenRulz is back with his infrequent 2 cents about yet another Forgotten Realms book, specifically the one entitled The Rite.

With this review come both a realization and an apology. The realization being that I have been going about this all wrong-this way of rating books by comparison of other FR books we’ve all read throughout the years.

So let me say I’m sorry. Whoah! Wait a sec! What are you sorry for, you ask me? What exactly is this realization you speak of? Let me explain.

It all came to me the other night while flipping through channels just after I had finished the Rite. A guy by the name of Henry Rollins (former rockstar and actor) was on, speaking on a talk show he has on some cable channel about how he had once won a Grammy and how he had gotten so disgusted by awards and everything they stood for, mainly, competition amongst artists.

“Art is Art!” Henry yelled defiantly. “Let these Artists practice their talents for art’s sake and let’s put aside this yearly competition that is a complete sham! I once won a Grammy and gave the (bleepin) thing away!”

So this made me think. Are the FR author’s any different? It’s not like Richard Lee Byers is going to win an award or anything for writing yet another spectacular book, but even if he did, would he care? He’s doing what he wants to do, who cares what others think!
Especially some random web dude.

I’ve made a practice of taking every single FR novel I’ve read and lumped them all into a sort of ‘stars’ category, best being 10. Well no more! First of all, the novels by the newer author’s are different in their set up and character development, with some exceptions and they keep getting better at telling a story. So you know what? Let me say this about the Rite and I hope all of you who get to read it take this to heart: “The Rite brings great entertainment and is not a waste of your time.” There. That’s it. That’s all I’m going to say. No stars. No awards. Just plain fact.

Okay, okay! I’ll develop it just a bit.

Damara is a much harder core country than most other places. You’ll like that.
There are dragons in this book I ain’t never even heard of yo!

D.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  20:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Broken!
Wooly: Yes, Queen of the Depths will have some underwater stuff. After all, it is called Queen of the DEPTHS. I believe in truth in advertising!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  21:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that Umberlee spent the Time of Troubles in the Sea of Fallen stars

Hmmm I wonder if we'll find out what happaned to the House on the Cliff in Queen of the Depth

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 25 Jan 2005 21:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  22:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, BrokenRulz. The novel styles are very different today than that earlier FR novels, and I enjoy both Different authors have different writing styles and flavors and it just makes the Realms more varied and wonderful!

Back to The Rite... I loved the scenes in Damara, especially the initial taking of the Gates etc. I thought the trick Brimstone played with the skeletal rider to fool the goblin army into believing it were Zhenghi was great.

Looking forward to The Ruin! I hope all hell breaks loose and we see devastation all over Faerun As mentioned before, that was the only thing I would have liked more of in The Rite - more random scenes of dragon rage across the land, as the story was quite localised around the party, whereas the first book did venture to other areas a little more. Both excellent books, regardless!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  22:50:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad you liked it, Broken!
Wooly: Yes, Queen of the Depths will have some underwater stuff. After all, it is called Queen of the DEPTHS. I believe in truth in advertising!

Awesome! I look forward to it!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  23:48:52  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,as always.Fantastic work on The Rite.I really enjoyed the addition of Gareth and Co.I enjoyed paladins when I gamed.So I would have liked to have seen a little more about them,but the trilogy isn't about them.It was nice though.Very ironic as well.Meaning that a group of paladins would team up with Brimstone.Who I really like.

Now I don't want to spoil,but what I would have liked to have seen is.That the twist that Taegen went through.Hopefully you get what I am meaning.I would have liked to have seen that played out a little more.I think that ended too quick.No matter!It was a great read,and I can't wait for The Ruin.Great Work RLB!!!!!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  22:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rad, Vedsica, thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked it.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  17:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished half of the rite yesterday and will probably finish it up around 2 am or so this eve....Thanks, the action scenes are great, thanks again...
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  17:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you liked the first part, Octa. Hope you'll like the end, also.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  17:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, obviously there are signs of your hobby of fencing in the character Taegan (from the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy for those who don't know)... but are there any other character\personality similarities which you see between yourself and Taegan, or any of the characters for that matter.

Also, I have just read The Silverfish from Dragon magazine:

1) Were you approached by Dragon for this or was it your idea?
2) Why did you choose to write about Pavel?
3) When does this tale take place in relation to The Rage?
4) Is it difficult to write a short story for Dragon (I'd expect that the word count is even less than that of a short story for a novel anthology), being as you have to build up so much, run the story and wrap it up pretty well is such tight measures.

Not knowing how the Rogue Dragons trilogy ends up, and who pulls through... which other character would you like to write about from these novels if WotC were to offer you a dedicated trilogy to ONE of them, such as how The Erevis Cale trilogy was spawned from the Sembia series.

Many thanks for your time. Looking forward to book 3

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 14 Feb 2005 17:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  23:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Rad.
Generally speaking, I'd feel a bit egotistical and foolish trying to list ways in which I imagine I'm similar to my epic heroes, who are, after all, extraordinarily brave, resourceful, tough, etc. I guess I'm willing to say that the sense of humor and unabashed desire to enjoy life Will, Taegan, and Pavel display are qualities that I certainly hope I share. I'd also like to think I have some of Pavel's intellectual curiosity.
The numbered questions:
1. I approached Dragon.
2. Why not? I like Pavel. I also think his backstory is worth exploring. Because, if you're reading the trilogy, you've probably picked up on the fact that the guy's a genius, even though he doesn't claim it for himself nor do others generally come right out and claim it for him. Now generally, a young man like that, studying for the priesthood, would be steered into a life of scholarship and/or administrative responsibility. So how come Pavel runs around the Moonsea as part of a team of scruffy monster hunters? It seems kind of odd on the face of it, so I thought I'd tell about the pivotal moment when he acquired his thirst for adventure.
3. The story is a prequel to The Rage. Pavel has not yet finished his studies or been ordained as a priest.
4. No more intrinsically different than writing for many another market. Most markets want stories no shorter than X words and no longer than Y words, and you learn to work within whatever the limits are.
I'm hesitant to answer your final question because I don't want to shed any light on the question of who lives and who might be kicking the oxygen habit. I'll just say that I'm fond of all my protagonists, and I think that anybody who makes it out of Book Three is worthy of further exploration.
Although, you know, there's always a lot to be said for starting from scratch with new heroes. The reader doesn't know what to expect, and you don't have to worry about making up all-new problems for a hero who solved all his old problems the last time around without it seeming arbitrary or cheesy.
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  07:14:25  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Byers,

I have a question (in regard, somewhat, to Good 'Ol Sammaster).

In the year of the many mists (DR circa I forget) a lich rises in the Desertsmouth mountains which claims to be Sammaster. After the initial confusion, cult members determine that the lich is indeed Sammaster and they all gather around him.

A few years later a company of paladins, namely The Twelve, ride out and face this evil.

What I would like to know are the identities of each of these twelve paladins if they have ever been explored, named, or even seen in any novels or games.

And if said Paladins have never been mentioned, is it safe for the DM to go ahead and make em their own.

I'm guessing they'd be mostly Lathanderites since he had issues with the Mad Chosen.

Thanks for your time.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  22:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phantom Lord: To the best of my knowledge, the paladins in question have not been identified, but my knowledge is not all-inclusive. Somebody may have named them or even dealt with them extensively in one reference or another. If so, maybe one of the folks who reads these boards can point you to the right source material.
Of course, even if the Twelve have been identified, a DM need not feel constrained by this if it would get in the way of an adventure he wants to run. Each DM is the final arbiter of truth in his own campaign's version of the Realms, right?
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  07:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  07:27:13  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pavel has around eight levels in cleric, enough mojo to throw fourth-level spells, but not fifth. He may have levels in sage, also, considering all the knowledge he's acquired in the course of his studies.

Sorry, this quote has been bugging me of late. In which book do I find the Sage class? (Is it something like a bard?)

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  14:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A sage is a scholar. An expert in one field of academic study or another. Pavel has extensive knowledge of a great many subjects.
I'm pretty sure there used to be a sage NPC class in 2nd Edition. Is there not in 3rd? Is there something that corresponds to it? Maybe someone who's up on all the fine points of the game system can help us out here.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  14:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A sage is a scholar. An expert in one field of academic study or another. Pavel has extensive knowledge of a great many subjects.
I'm pretty sure there used to be a sage NPC class in 2nd Edition. Is there not in 3rd? Is there something that corresponds to it? Maybe someone who's up on all the fine points of the game system can help us out here.

There is an "Expert" NPC class in 3rd edition. it would fit in nicely with what your are describing for Pavel.
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  15:57:26  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, I thought I missed some sourcebook. I did find a cleric variant in the Unearthed Arcana which suits Pavel a little. It's called the Cloistered Cleric, it's somewhat of a cleric with bardic knowledge. He probably would have dipped a few levels here.

Thanks for the response.

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  17:11:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah there is a Sage NPC class in 2e, it was also written up in Dragon. :) It would be basically, as the other poster said, an expert in 3/3.5.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  06:08:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monch9

quote:

Pavel has around eight levels in cleric, enough mojo to throw fourth-level spells, but not fifth. He may have levels in sage, also, considering all the knowledge he's acquired in the course of his studies.

Sorry, this quote has been bugging me of late. In which book do I find the Sage class? (Is it something like a bard?)

Monch

Why look in a book when I'm right here... .

Seriously, aside from the details Mr Byrers and Kuje already provided, there's another three interpretations in 3e of the Sage class, one of which is designed as a core-class derivative of the Loremaster. The other two interpretations are from third-party resources, although I do believe the Sage class from one of them is previewed on the publisher's website.

I'll send you the details privately, along with a little project I worked on with some old members of the WotC message boards. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  08:01:05  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why look in a book when I'm right here... .

Seriously, aside from the details Mr Byrers and Kuje already provided, there's another three interpretations in 3e of the Sage class, one of which is designed as a core-class derivative of the Loremaster. The other two interpretations are from third-party resources, although I do believe the Sage class from one of them is previewed on the publisher's website.

I'll send you the details privately, along with a little project I worked on with some old members of the WotC message boards. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Thanks please do. I've been looking at the Unearthed Arcana cloistered cleric variant class and it kinda fits the mold I was looking for Pavel. (He gets some bardic knowledge stuff as well as all the knowledge skills at the expense of some martial skills. But that can be offset by some multiclassing.) I haven't gotten the Dragon Magazine which features the Pavel story, so I'm really curious how that fits.

Monch

Edited by - monch9 on 13 Apr 2005 12:17:48
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  22:12:50  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard I know your writing the Rogue Dragon Series but I am curious of all Dragon's which one is your favorite ?

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  03:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elven: I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean my favorite dragon character in my trilogy, my favorite subtype of dragon in D&D, my favorite dragon in all literature and mythology, or what?
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  19:46:21  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I meant just in general you write dragon's like you understand them ^_^ I think Vercevoran has to be one of my favorites. Though for various reasons my favorite Dragon is a Deep Dragon. Thats all I meant sorry to be confusing.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  20:09:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My alltime favorite is silver dragons.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  13:58:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that you, Elven, have clarified your question, I find that I'm still having trouble deciding on an answer. I just like all dragons, I guess.
I do agree with you, khorne, that silvers are very cool. I'm quite fond of my Azhaq character (although he doesn't actually have a very silvery personality.)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  15:51:57  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now that you, Elven, have clarified your question, I find that I'm still having trouble deciding on an answer. I just like all dragons, I guess.
I do agree with you, khorne, that silvers are very cool. I'm quite fond of my Azhaq character (although he doesn't actually have a very silvery personality.)

Thanks. Silvers are my favorite because evil dragons tend to be either very stupid or so arrogant that it amounts to the same thing, Shadow dragons are a bit to much of the:"MUAHAHAAA,I`m evil!" brand, copper and bronzes are a bit to frivolous for me, and golds practically drip arrogant goodness.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  20:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Also, I have just read The Silverfish from Dragon magazine:

Rad, what issue of Dragon?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000