Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What will be the fate of Sarifal with the Sunderin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  20:32:17  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I have King Derid finally defeating Lady Eliza and Amn. With King Derid's newfound strength he was able to resettle the South of Gwynneth and reclaim Caer Corwell with help ofthe Highlander clans of Gwynneth.

I am wondering what will happen to Sarifal? Will the sundering bring Fey too far from Toril too keep its connection? The PC's as well as helping Derid reclaim his Kingdom, also helped the Prince of Sarifal defeat the dark fey at the Umbral Tower.

Do you think the new Fey on Moonshae will start to fade again?

Moonshae has always had MORE of a connection to Fey, but I like the idea of Evereska, Evermeet, and Sarifal becoming purely Terrestrial (for lack of a better word). One additional thing I disliked about the plaguerealms (I could fill a tome alone with what I don't like, and there is very little I do like, though Sarifal is one of them) was the newfound connections to Fey. All of these old elven cities suddenly had to twin themselves. I hope the sundering stops that.

But I think Sarifal might be a special case, will that remain on Gwynneth or revert back to Fey?

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  00:47:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd vote for Sarifal remaining. I'd also recommend keeping Oman as giant controlled, but possibly bringing in more giant types. For instance, if it had some verbeeg giants along with Cyclops sailing in pirate ships and raiding surrounding territories, it could be interesting (I mean, how fast could giants row with that strength? Plus, their ship would probably be full logs, so devastating to anyone they ram... and they are their own catapults). Throw in an eldritch giant captain who can dimension door onto other ships, and you've got a surprised enemy. I kind of like having Rashemen, the Moonshaes, and the High Forest having these areas that are highly fey. Rashemen however isn't very elvish. It makes for a good area to have the Moonshaes be an area where you can actually SEE the groupings of the Seelie and Unseelie type courts in action.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  01:03:26  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would expect Sarifal to remain.

For one thing, the Prince is betrothed to Derid's daughter Tarilyn (a political deal, to get the Kendrick's support in the struggle against the Unseelie of Citadel Umbra). If Karador disappears back to the Feywild, presumably taking the Prince and Tarilyn with it, I don't imagine that Derid is going to be too pleased......

If Sarifal does disappear, then the Llewyrr of Synnoria are going to be left dangling, having to fend for themselves once again with all the other inhabitants of Gwynneth. Unless they decamp to the Feywild too?
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  05:30:57  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your idea of giant raiding ships is devastating but I have to ask. Just how much tonnage can wind & sail propel on the water? I mean the ship would have to be larger than most ships just to hold the giants. Then you've got the hull being made of logs (so much heavier than average even before accounting for the size needed). Sure, the giants can row the ship, but would it be faster than the average ship given that they must move so much more weight than a normal ship propelled by medium-sized folks? Not that one has to go this in depth to make it work...but even if you made the ship lighter through magic...wouldn't that mean the ship could capsize more easily (it's weight being top-heavy with the colossal mast needed and all)?

As to the OP, I'm sorry I don't know much about the 4e Realms as I was so disgusted by it early on. I am debating on purchasing used material from ebay after 5e hits the shelves...provided I like 5e and assuming I decide there are things worth keeping from 4e. Having read so many threads dealing with the Fey in the 4e Realms, my knee-jerk reaction is that it's likely worth keeping in some form (though what that form should be is beyond my experience to speak on).

Cheers.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  08:30:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I wasn't picturing a wind driven boat. More like a giant rowboat/galley, but with a sail to help however much it can (and a big ram in the shape of a giant fist holding an axe). I'm guessing they would be most useful against targets that are already slowed (say there's no wind to propel the ship) or that are in port. I'm thinking something that can hold say 10 giants and a decent amount of rocks for hurling or "giant crossbows" that fire essentially ballistae bolts. They would be particularly deadly with a giant that can control weather to stop the winds (hmmmm, there have been stories of storm giants turned evil.... and storm giants also breathe water, which is useful for salvage and/or sneaking up on a ship... and their chain lightning would be fun to use on a ship). An eldritch giant captain with a storm giant "sea sorceror" or "sea priest" by his side and a crew of cyclops and verbeeg (maybe some ogres as slaves) would make an interesting twist. Hell, they may even capture ships and work in league with human pirates to some degree (they may just as often doublecross said pirates too.... dead men tell no tales). One can easily see however the devastation their boarding a ship sized for humans could cause (their sheer weight might collapse in decks, they can easily grab sails and tear down rigging, causing much havoc for a crew used to regular pirates, sahuagin, etc...).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  09:16:27  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you could go with the idea of a skyship from Eberron but for a waterborne vessel instead. Eberron used captured elementals to power their ships. In this case, perhaps an elder water elemental is imprisoned on a colossal ship to give it motive power with giant (or ogre) oarsman to assist in turning the vessel quickly along with the helmsman. To make it really frightening (along with your ideas above...which are already nightmarish if you ask me), have those ogre slaves be giant juju zombies or something similar so they are tougher than normal zombies and can still row/steer tirelessly (this would also help to make up for any distance lost due to the ship's size).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  12:29:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooohhh, liking the giant juju zombie idea.... also giant skeletons.... gives the ship that extra magical mystery. Thinking the eldritch giant captain might actually have some class levels in a non-warrior class (eldritch giant binder?.... or eldritch giant soul weaver from secrets of pact magic to get arcane and pact abilities) to give him some defensive abilities that he can call up often. Then having the actual cleric being one of the verbeeg so that he'd be smaller so you could really bump the CR with levels and have him control the undead (might have to give him some item to boost his undead control).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  12:58:16  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd like to see Sarifal stay. It fits the flavour of the Moonshaes - besides, if it came to war, you'd have to pack a helluva punch to take down a LeShay like Lady Ordalf. I for one see Faerūn and Faerie slowly drifting apart again, taking well over a century before the borders return to their pre-Spellplague state.

As for Oman's Isle, I'd like to see adventurers taking sides between the formorians & their cyclops subordinates and Grond Peaksmasher's formian rebels. Perhaps Amn is helping the Cyclops in exchange for their aid in regaining lost territory.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 25 Feb 2014 12:59:08
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  14:19:53  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Sarifal and hope it stays. I agree it fits with the flavor of the Moonshaes. I also like the cities of Ikemmu in the Underdark and Shadowfell. I hope that they keep it too. The two cities are connected wia a portal so the pulling away of the shadow realms may not affect it.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  14:26:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

As to the OP, I'm sorry I don't know much about the 4e Realms as I was so disgusted by it early on. I am debating on purchasing used material from ebay after 5e hits the shelves...provided I like 5e and assuming I decide there are things worth keeping from 4e. Having read so many threads dealing with the Fey in the 4e Realms, my knee-jerk reaction is that it's likely worth keeping in some form (though what that form should be is beyond my experience to speak on).

Cheers.

I agree with you, the 4e realms was mostly converted to garbage with arbitrary changes that made no sense within the world and only makes sense from the standpoint of dumbing down the lore.

Sarifal and the Moonshaes however was the ONE area of the 4e realms where the changes made sense. It was an organic change. I can find no other organic logical changes within the 4e realms.

I moved my campaign recently after completing Cormyr-shadowdale-anauroch. Those PC's after they defeated shade activated an item one of my epic PC's gave them. That shunted them to 1479 when the weave was restored accordin to ELminster Enraged. Originally they were going to fight shade, that was their purpose, but when the former Warlord of Moonshae (Not to be confused with the CLASS warlord from 4e) Clan Chief Sir Turloch MacLyon found out about Amn he insisted on rescuing the moonshaes from Amn.

Well 18th level pc's with powerful magic from the old world are quite some good allies to have on your side. I ran it as Pathfinder, but I stunted alot of Lady Eliza's magic because she was working without the weave. THe campaign lasted about a year and a half of real world game time, and Amn was defeated. One PC is not sure if he likes the Sarifal Balance. I am trying to figure out how to handle the diplomacy.

I am inclined to have LeShay allowing the Ffolk to resettle the South of Gwynneth since the real criminals were from Amn. The PC's are now level 20. They are a party of 7. They can very much pose a threat to LeShay if they WANT to. One of them is a Chosen of Mielikki, Hawk of the LAdy Torandar Giantsbane who can call Dryads as his ally as a boon to Mielikki. So far he has the most influence with LeShay, and he can definitely broker deals on a FRIENDLY diplomatic difficulty level.

The Player of Warlord Turloch (CG hm (highlander) Magus 20)is not sure if we wants Sarifal kept in the old land he was shunted from over 100 years ago. The benefit is, even though LeShay kicked out Amn from Gwynneth and the other Ffolk, they allowed the Highlanders of Gwynneth to stay on their original lands (because they helped fight off the Amnish (think Braveheart).

Basically I do not yet know what my PC's are going to do. If they WANT to challenge LeShay they ARE a threat, and I imagine they would probably win a fight against High Lady Orifal (Using PF rulesystem, D&DNEXT does not have the fidelity to portray THAT fight at this point). One PC wants a diplomatic solution, One is inclined to demand FREEDOM for the Moonshaes, and the other 5 would swing with who ever was more persuasive.

As far as Norland and Oman, they are leaving that alone for now, But my PC Chosen of Mielikki, is named Torandar GIANTSBANE. So he is definitely going to want to do something with Oman.

Especially since the Barbarian of the party has a Hammer of Thunderbolts.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  16:58:20  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the diplomatic solution is for LeShay to assist in the reclamation of the other islands with an agreement to leave her and her people unmolested (she does dwell in traditional elven land yes?) in return. Have her mention the idea if no one else does. She could agree to stay in the traditional elven lands while the group frees the rest of the Moonshaes. They get a powerful ally, can do the work they want, and could even set themselves up as Lords/Ladies of the Land in the process.

If the group seems bent on turning things upside down then perhaps a visit from Flamsterd is in order (although heavy-handed DMing is usually received rather poorly). But Flamsterd could let the group in on a 'secret' that requires the help of LeShay's court to help cement their alliance. Perhaps the fey are needed to maintain the veil between worlds that threatens to rip asunder completely without their's and Flamsterd's help? And now they need the group to create another 'anchoring point' to assist with the work as well (a good job for the party mage who just so happens to get some lore/spells from Flamsterd to boot).

Point is, if you come at the players from multiple angles (as in multiple characters) they will almost certainly 'play ball' with the way YOU want things in the campaign world.

Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  18:16:52  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Perhaps the diplomatic solution is for LeShay to assist in the reclamation of the other islands with an agreement to leave her and her people unmolested (she does dwell in traditional elven land yes?) in return. Have her mention the idea if no one else does. She could agree to stay in the traditional elven lands while the group frees the rest of the Moonshaes. They get a powerful ally, can do the work they want, and could even set themselves up as Lords/Ladies of the Land in the process.

If the group seems bent on turning things upside down then perhaps a visit from Flamsterd is in order (although heavy-handed DMing is usually received rather poorly). But Flamsterd could let the group in on a 'secret' that requires the help of LeShay's court to help cement their alliance. Perhaps the fey are needed to maintain the veil between worlds that threatens to rip asunder completely without their's and Flamsterd's help? And now they need the group to create another 'anchoring point' to assist with the work as well (a good job for the party mage who just so happens to get some lore/spells from Flamsterd to boot).

Point is, if you come at the players from multiple angles (as in multiple characters) they will almost certainly 'play ball' with the way YOU want things in the campaign world.

Cheers.

I was inclined to follow the first path you outlined above.

More than likely I think the PC's are going to take the stance of: Give southern Gwynneth back to the High King and keep your lands and all of North Gwynneth. I also don't think LeShay would be offended by it, especially with a CHosen of Mielikki, and the Grand Druid of the High Forest brokering the deal.

The party is Mostly Good in alignment with some Neutrals so really attacking LeShay would give most of them alot of pause.

I think the player of Turloch is just putting up a good character front now. The fact LeShay gave so much to the highlanders is going to calm him down.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  14:06:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Sarifal stays. I felt it fit in well with the Moonshaes. Plus the LeShay seem to be transplanted from Game of Thrones which is always fun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000