Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 WoTC and novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shorac
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  04:47:50  Show Profile Send shorac a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I have read in a few other forums that WoTC seems to be scaling back on novels. I was wondering if this is just a rumor or has anyone heard any truth to it? I understand that their novels are there to mainly support their game sales and such but I hope this isnt true. It would be sad to see the realms fade away , to be honest I like to play D&D but if the novels were gone I think I would lose interest all together. They shelved dragonlance and if the did that to the realms I think i would blow a gasket... boo hasbro...

.......<creator>....

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  05:02:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last I heard, there are still novels in the pipeline. I think it unlikely that they'd relaunch the setting without accompanying it with more novels, especially by some of the authors that have already proven themselves in the past.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  17:31:11  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm personally waiting until they release the next edition to see what their release schedule is like. Unfortunately for WoTC, I've already filled the void they left with other things and they'll have to earn their way back into my reading rotation.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  23:07:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don‘t think the novels are written mainly to support game sales. They could (and sometimes have) done quite well all on their own; it could as easily be argued that the game is written primarily to support the fantasy mechanics of the novel settings.

That being said, WotC (and their contracted authors) are rarely forthcoming about actual sales revenues generated from the stuff they publish.

I‘m speculating a bit, but I suspect the raw numbers involved in fiction booksales tend too vastly exceed those of game component sales ... but, ironically, so many business methodologies and fixtures (middlemen) are installed inline that WotC‘s actual profit-per-unit might work out to a miniscule share.

Take note that successful and popular authors (say, Ed and RAS) are apparently able to sustain themselves well from the trade, regardless of who publishes their stuff. While successful and popular game designers seem to have an alarming tendency to suffer chronic layoffs, shuffle between competitors, strike out on their own, etc etc - their success or failure is dependent upon and greatly amplified by the market reception of the game(s) they work on.

Wizbro is clearly making strides toward eBook-only publishing and DDI-online-only game content, it‘s only a question of how many years it will take them to phase the written print away. I expect that as long as there‘s bookstores there‘s going to be paper D&D novels, as long as there‘s game stores there‘s going to be printed D&D books ... alas, I think the game stores (and tabletop RPGs as we know them) are inexorably going extinct outside of vintage collectibles.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  03:18:03  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I don‘t think the novels are written mainly to support game sales. They could (and sometimes have) done quite well all on their own; it could as easily be argued that the game is written primarily to support the fantasy mechanics of the novel settings.

That being said, WotC (and their contracted authors) are rarely forthcoming about actual sales revenues generated from the stuff they publish.

I‘m speculating a bit, but I suspect the raw numbers involved in fiction booksales tend too vastly exceed those of game component sales ... but, ironically, so many business methodologies and fixtures (middlemen) are installed inline that WotC‘s actual profit-per-unit might work out to a miniscule share.

Take note that successful and popular authors (say, Ed and RAS) are apparently able to sustain themselves well from the trade, regardless of who publishes their stuff. While successful and popular game designers seem to have an alarming tendency to suffer chronic layoffs, shuffle between competitors, strike out on their own, etc etc - their success or failure is dependent upon and greatly amplified by the market reception of the game(s) they work on.

Wizbro is clearly making strides toward eBook-only publishing and DDI-online-only game content, it‘s only a question of how many years it will take them to phase the written print away. I expect that as long as there‘s bookstores there‘s going to be paper D&D novels, as long as there‘s game stores there‘s going to be printed D&D books ... alas, I think the game stores (and tabletop RPGs as we know them) are inexorably going extinct outside of vintage collectibles.

I've always felt this as well. But I'm sure they are maintaining a tight hold on the story as they transition.
Go to Top of Page

mserabian
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  01:02:46  Show Profile  Visit mserabian's Homepage Send mserabian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think from reading the Sundering novels, that WotC is going in a heroic series direction with their novels. Each of the Sundering novels either starts a new series or continues an existing popular one (Drizzt, Elminister, Cale, Farideh). If you look at the upcoming books, each of the heroes so far has a squeal on books in the same order as heroes are presented in the sundering novel sequence. Except for Drizzt who gets 2 novels to everyone else's one, and Cale (I think I read here that Kemp was having some creative differences with Wotc - and Erin noted that she has to turn in her book 2 months early - clearing taking the Cale books spot in the schedule.

I think it's a really smart idea as the Dizzt and El (hero focused series) are the longest running and most popular books in the line. This method let's them focus on the heroes stories and let the RSEs happen as background events that occur during the book characters stories (as their doing with the sundering). It's kind of like the Hero Pulps of the 30s or even more like a comic book company as each hero has his/her own series in the larger shared universe.

Hence I don't expect to see a Tyranny of Dragons novel. I think that might be the background noise in a Farideh novel for example...

just my thoughts...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  19:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there are more Drizzt novels coming out, and there's another Brimstone Angels novel out this fall, and Ed will keep writing Elminster, but that's all I know about.

*I* am not currently writing a novel for WotC, though I'd certainly be open to the possibility. It's really up to them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

shorac
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  22:27:23  Show Profile Send shorac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they need to continue the story of alot of characters it sucks if they just let them fall by the wayside.... even if stories arent told in the present sundering scenario its ok to go " back in time " so to speak and finish up some storylines...

.......<creator>....
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  02:02:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I know there are more Drizzt novels coming out, and there's another Brimstone Angels novel out this fall, and Ed will keep writing Elminster, but that's all I know about.

*I* am not currently writing a novel for WotC, though I'd certainly be open to the possibility. It's really up to them.

Cheers

Are you going to publish your next Shadowbane novel through another company, or would there be too many copyright issues, since the world belongs to WotC?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000