Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fey'ri as a PC race
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  00:00:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any speculation as to the true nature of the Moondark descendants? Forestlord elves? Does ''wild talent'' imply some psionic nature? Do skyships equate to spelljammer?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  00:18:50  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Does ''wild talent'' imply some psionic nature?
Wild magical talents. As per Volo's Guide to all Things Magical. In 3e, perhaps should be modeled via Sorcerer - or better, there were some bloodline related feats with spells tied in.
quote:
Do skyships equate to spelljammer?
Those that leave the planet implicitly have to be. Mainly because there's almost nowhere to go without spelljamming speed (and Selune is not a good idea).
The "living ship" part fits into Elven SJ technology, i.e. altered Starfly plants. If it can be twisted into Gadabout, any EIN ship or Starwing (water-landing Man-o-War variant from Evermeet), there's no reason why not other variations. As long as they got seeds and right spells.

And yes, it follows that since a ship still is a living plant, a spirit may inhabit it just like any other massive plant, and Hamatree spell can bind the caster's lifeforce to it (Dryad style) - who then may stick around as a non-corporeal guardian undead, why not?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  00:37:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info TBeholder. After a quick search for Starfly, I found the Gadabout. Where can I find more info on Flitters, Men o War, Starwings, Armadas and Mother's? I may try to work something up using Dretchroyaster and Wooly's Elfbane golems.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Feb 2014 00:40:54
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  00:51:44  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SJ fan site (see "Ships And Their Source Products" and "To-Scale Deckplans"). And the associated forum (search function is your friend and all that).
The Starwing (Ruathimaer) is Man-o-War variant from FOR5 "Elves of Evermeet".
Dragon-blooded elves are a big wildcard anywhere, of course, especially as their nature is not immediately obvious.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 26 Feb 2014 05:59:15
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  01:05:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. This will need considerably more research. Looks like fun. Still not clear on the Flitter. Something bigger than the Gadabout? A way to give the Elfbane golems wings? Hopefully Wooly chimes in here. I'm still open to speculation on the Moondark clan. What relation, if any, did the exiles have with dragons or did they simply flee to Wildspace to escape the perversion of their kin?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 26 Feb 2014 01:08:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  04:36:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flitter is a small, one-man ship. It's like a one-person shuttlecraft.

The gadabout isn't really a ship; it's a plant that wraps around the wearer and give them some air. If the flitter is a shuttlecraft, the gadabout is a spacesuit with a maneuvering system.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kusghuul
Acolyte

Norway
33 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  00:59:30  Show Profile Send Kusghuul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Most fey'ri are those imprisoned with House Dlardrageth and freed with the destruction of Hellgate Keep. That said, there is nothing to keep there from having been fey'ri that were separate from that House and stayed free and hidden for millennia.

The 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Races of Faerūn, and the Last Mythal trilogy are where you'll find the most info about the fey'ri.

There were only three fey'ri trapped under Hellgate Keep, namely Sarya, Ryvvik (deceased) and Xhalh according to the Hellgate Keep adventure. These were part of the original 7 escapees from their castle, which the grey elves placed under a mythal. When the Arcorari mages later lowered the mythal to check who was left, they accounted for everyone bar these 7. They then divined their whereabouts and curbstomped the remaining fey'ri, trapping the surviving three in their caves below what would become Hellgate Keep, where they remained until the Harpers blew up the venerable keep with Gatekeeper's Crystal.

However, there appears to have been some retconning. The previously mentioned [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040519a]Threlya Dlardrageth[/url], seen as only three Dlardrageths are still alive. Additionally, LoD mentions Xhalh's daughter, an Ealoethi.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

The point is, most are specifically Moon Elf and specifically Foocubus. Hence specific abilities.
The vaguely-generic thing comes up with quite sensible "the most common source of such a bloodline is a succubus" and then proceeds into meaninglessly generic area. And as the foocubi go, how to put this... ah! "Intimidate" is not the first skill that comes to mind. Let alone Power Attack and Smite Good. At least, in the usual sense.

Wrong on both accounts. Sun elves; Sarya is half balor, Xhalh half marilith, while Ryvvik is half vrock.

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Dlardragreth/fey'ri and Eldreth Veluuthra cooperation? Being elitist racists, I doubt it, but enemies make for good bedfellows. Thoughts? What about them dragon-blooded elves? Enemies to both or neither?

As mentioned previously, Eldreth Veluuthra would never knowingly cooperate with fey'ri. Emphasis here on knowingly. Fey'ri have alter self as a spell-like ability.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

ummmmm... they dont worship the seldarine..... various demon lords I would imagine, though I always considered sarya as being atheist

Actually, she has an interest in Ghaunadar. Faersynd Floshin, a cleric of Ghaunadar, has made most fey'ri at least superficially venerate That Which Lurks. As previously mentioned, they also seem to venerate

Edited by - Kusghuul on 27 Feb 2014 01:00:03
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  17:22:11  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would never allow the Fey'ri in an ordinary Forgotten Realms campaign. The only times I might consider allowing them would be in a Planescape campaign or a campaign in which everyone plays a monster.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  18:55:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

I would never allow the Fey'ri in an ordinary Forgotten Realms campaign. The only times I might consider allowing them would be in a Planescape campaign or a campaign in which everyone plays a monster.

Even though they originated in the Realms, back in 2E?

And keep in mind, fey'ri don't have to appear monstrous -- they can alter their appearance.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  20:32:44  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LordXenophon@
quote:

I can understand this if its dealing towards any race with level adjustments as sometimes I find through my games it can cause problems and or even bad drama with a mixed party of characters with level adjustments and others without. Other than that I see no reason not to allow Fey'ri in a Forgotten Realms game seeing as how the race was created for forgotten Realms. Also in my opinion I think of all the races with level adjustments ive seen played its probally among the least overpowered that I've had to deal with when having mixed parties.
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  18:34:54  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Power level is not the issue. Player characters aren't even supposed to know the Fey'ri exist until after they have been to what's left of Hellgate Keep or had dealings with the Eldreth Veluthra. They are about as hidden as a race can be. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of one stepping out into public view, where it might be noticed by other Elves.

If somebody really wants to roleplay that sort of character, I'd rather they did it as a Drow.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000