Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  15:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Smacks head agains wall*

Sarelle I did say "Warning", oh and in regards to book five Larloch over a icewindadle.com sorta posted all the major confrontations and key components of book 5:

Spoliers
Gromphs fight with Dyr, Gromphs eye surgery, return of Lloth, death of Ryld by the hands of Jeggred, and Halistra releasing Lloth from her prison!

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  16:18:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

*Smacks head agains wall*

Sarelle I did say "Warning", oh and in regards to book five Larloch over a icewindadle.com sorta posted all the major confrontations and key components of book 5:

Your last part about Halisstra is incorrect.

For those wishing to read the interview that Sarelle made mention of, here is a link.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 14 Jul 2004 16:23:24
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  20:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up Sirus

Sweet so I still have something to read for, currently in chapter 8 and enjoying it but knowing what is going to occur before hand makes the experience ho hum. That and .... sorry just don't think book 5 is up to snuff in comparison to dissolution and insurrection.

Will any of Pharaun or Quenthel's wands run out of charges in the 6th book. After all they have been using em pretty heavy for the last 3 books?

Thanks greatly to Paul S. Kemp for popping over to icewinddale.com your pressence is much appreciated!

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  21:29:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

Thanks for the heads up Sirus

Sweet so I still have something to read for, currently in chapter 8 and enjoying it but knowing what is going to occur before hand makes the experience ho hum. That and .... sorry just don't think book 5 is up to snuff in comparison to dissolution and insurrection.

You're welcome. There is a thread in the novels forum where various scribes have shared thoughts on Annihilation. Please be sure to visit it when you can and express your opinion on the novel.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 14 Jul 2004 21:30:41
Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  18:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi,

well first of all, let me join the chorus and say a big thank you for your stories. i've only recently "discovered" your work in "the halls of stormweather" (a relatively boring book if i might add, except for your and lisa smedman's work) and i've just finished "shadow's witness" and "all the sinners saints"... as a result, i have "fallen in love" with mr. cale. and i am very much looking forward to reading the cale trilogy.

after boring you all, let's move on to my first question, which is not one conserning the background of your novels. i'm desperately looking for "another name for dawn". would there be another way than ordering a backcopy of dragon 277, maybe over your personal webpage, to read this story? in germany, getting backcopies is extremely difficult! oh, and expensive!!

and another one... will we see more of westgate cale? (not that i have seen any of him yet )

thank you for your time and thank you for the good time you've given me through your novels!

Edited by - Phobos on 10 Aug 2004 18:14:47
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  20:51:46  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phobos

hi,

well first of all, let me join the chorus and say a big thank you for your stories. i've only recently "discovered" your work in "the halls of stormweather" (a relatively boring book if i might add, except for your and lisa smedman's work) and i've just finished "shadow's witness" and "all the sinners saints"... as a result, i have "fallen in love" with mr. cale. and i am very much looking forward to reading the cale trilogy.

after boring you all, let's move on to my first question, which is not one conserning the background of your novels. i'm desperately looking for "another name for dawn". would there be another way than ordering a backcopy of dragon 277, maybe over your personal webpage, to read this story? in germany, getting backcopies is extremely difficult! oh, and expensive!!

and another one... will we see more of westgate cale? (not that i have seen any of him yet )

Phobos,

Great to hear! Welcome to the Cale stories. Feel free to post your thoughts regarding the Cale trilogy books after you've read them. The characters change a great deal in those novels, as you'll soon see.

As for Dragon 277, I understand that it is a hard backissue to locate. I believe it was one of the first, if not the first, Dragon to have all 3.0 material inside. Hence, it is in demand by collectors. Have you tried the Paizo website, at www.paizo.com? They sell backissues for a reasonable cost. Otherwise, it may be that ebay is your best bet. Sorry that I can't be of more help. I don't have a website (I don't know anyone who can do it and I can't do it myself) and even if I did, I would need the permission of Paizo before I could reprint "Another Name for Dawn."

As for more of Cale in Westgate: I don't currently have any plans for any stories set there in Cale's past, though I do have a germ of a story idea involving a return visit set in the present. We'll have to wait and see what the future brings.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  21:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you, mr. kemp,

unfortunately it's out of stock on paizo... and i own as much of a credit card as you have a homepage. so it would have been a big adventure to get it. maybe i'll get lucky so i'll just keep on trying.

as for the return to westgate... that is as good (or even better) as a trip to mr. cale's past, as it would have to include some info on past happenings as well as well as new development of erevis' character. maybe you'll get to do it. a lot of us would look forward to it.

thank you for your quick reply,

phobos
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  15:42:55  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've announced this on another forum at Candlekeep, but this seems a more appropriate venue:

For those interested, it appears that I will have the opportunity to revisit the characters from the Erevis Cale trilogy in a subsquent trilogy to follow relatively hard after. Nothing is guaranteed at this point, but I think a follow up series is highly probable. Of course, the subsequent series can include only those characters who survive Midnight's Mask....

Anyway, I'm pleased enough with this possibility that I wanted to share with the loyal and enthusiastic fans of Candlekeep.

Now, back to writing....

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 01 Sep 2004 17:32:29
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  15:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I've announced this on another forum at Candlekeep, but this seems a more appropriate venue:

For those interested, it appears that I will have the opportunity to revisit the characters from the Erevis Cale trilogy in a subsquent trilogy to follow relatively hard after. Nothing is guaranteed at this point, but I think a follow up series is highly probably. Of course, the subsquent series can include only those characters who survive Midnight's Mask....

Anyway, I'm pleased enough with this possibility that I wanted to share with the loyal and enthusiastic fans of Candlekeep.

Now, back to writing....

This is indeed fantastic news I'm VERY impressed with the trilogy so far (and with Shadows Witness) so youve got me drooling already Obviously its early days, I assume WotC have only recently approached you with this proposal, but have you any ideas of the plotline for the new trilogy? Perhaps WotC are striving to get a confrontation between Cale and Tazi as much as the rest of us are

Being that youre now a high profile FR author, are we to see your future novels (Resurrection aside) in hardcover, as we do with Ed and Elaine?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  16:54:39  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those interested, it appears that I will have the opportunity to revisit the characters from the Erevis Cale trilogy in a subsquent trilogy to follow relatively hard after. ....

That is Fantastic!!!

Your are one of the top authors in my list. Reading Twilight Falling basically renewd my interest in the Realms (I stopped reading for a bit). I really enjoy your writing style. I especially like your characters and the way they are developed. I also liked the short story you did for The Return of the Archwizards anthology(I still like to quote the Mephit in that story ).

I'm very happy that we will get a chance to read more about Cale and his companions (and enemies).

One question: What inspired you to make Riven care so much about dogs?
(***HALF-SPOILER***

I was almost cheering him on (ok, utterly cheering him on) during the scene in Skullport.

*** SPOILER-END***)
It really got me interested in his past, and I think it gave him a lot more depth than what I usually expect.

Anyways, keep writing those books. I eagerly await your next one.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  20:42:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
This is indeed fantastic news I'm VERY impressed with the trilogy so far (and with Shadows Witness) so youve got me drooling already Obviously its early days, I assume WotC have only recently approached you with this proposal, but have you any ideas of the plotline for the new trilogy? Perhaps WotC are striving to get a confrontation between Cale and Tazi as much as the rest of us are

Being that youre now a high profile FR author, are we to see your future novels (Resurrection aside) in hardcover, as we do with Ed and Elaine?

I do have some inkling of the plotline but I can't share anything. It's all tentative at this point.

High profile? You're overly generous. Elaine, Ed and Bob breathe some rarefied air. Me? To quote Neo: I'm just another guy.

So no, I don't think they will be in hardcover, though I do harbor a secret hope that one day a Cale collection will be released in hardcover, including all novels, the Stormweather novella, and the Dragon short stories. Hey, I can dream.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 01 Sep 2004 20:52:47
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  20:51:37  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

One question: What inspired you to make Riven care so much about dogs?

Not sure, exactly. Likely this: On Sept. 11 my law office closed early for obvious reasons. On my way home, I was driving through a bad neighborhood of Detroit and saw on the side of the road a starving dog -- probably a shephard-lab-rotweiler mix. She was so weak that she could not stand. I turned the car around, pulled up beside her and called her to the car. She tried to get up but could not. I got out, loaded her up, and took her directly to the vet. EVen in those dire straits, she was the sweetest dog you could imagine -- licking my hand, trying to wag her tail, etc.

Anyway, after a few days at the vet, she was my family's dog and has been ever since. She went from a starving 14 pound puppy to a 28 pound puppy in two weeks. She's now over eighty pounds and still as sweet as can be.

Anyway, I love dogs and that no doubt filtered into Riven's psychology. I thought: this is a cold-blooded man with little faith in his fellow men, or anything else for that matter. What might he care for? Dogs struck me as the obvious answer.

Incidentally, I think that the concept of that scene (as opposed to its particulars) was inspired by an episode of the X-Files, the one where we learn that Cancerman is actually a frustrated writer. Learning that fact humanized him for the viewers. I wanted to do that with Riven through his love of dogs.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  21:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo, we need a crying smiley after that story!

That scene which Anubis mentioned stuck in my mind too, beautifully done! Riven is one of my favorite characters and i've liked him ever since the first moment. Talk about a smack in the face with the events at the end of Dawn of Night!

That reminds me, I must buy a second copy, my current one got leaked on by my waterbottle whilst on holiday and slightly damaged the cover! GRRR

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  21:42:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anyway, after a few days at the vet, she was my family's dog and has been ever since. She went from a starving 14 pound puppy to a 28 pound puppy in two weeks. She's now over eighty pounds and still as sweet as can be.

A very touching story which says a great deal about the person involved. As someone who has experienced similar incidents with more than one cat, thank you for showing the best about humanity during a day that was filled with a great many horrors.

quote:

Learning that fact humanized him for the viewers. I wanted to do that with Riven through his love of dogs.

Paul

Mission accomplished. Your characters are vast and contain multitudes, to borrow a line from a popular poet. I think that's a big reason why I enjoy your novels.
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  23:37:57  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure, exactly. Likely this: On Sept. 11 my law office closed early for obvious reasons. On my way home, I was driving through a bad neighborhood of Detroit and saw on the side of the road a starving dog -- probably a shephard-lab-rotweiler mix. She was so weak that she could not stand. I turned the car around, pulled up beside her and called her to the car. She tried to get up but could not. I got out, loaded her up, and took her directly to the vet. EVen in those dire straits, she was the sweetest dog you could imagine -- licking my hand, trying to wag her tail, etc.

Paul

That, Sir, was awesome. I wish more people where like that.

And it did give Riven a lot more depth. In fact, it is what really made me curious about him. I'm hoping at some point we can learn what in his life made him so caring of dogs? :D

I also wanted to remark at the twist at the ending of Too Long in the Dark. Now that was a great twist. Pleeancis (finally remembered his name) was also a very interesting character.

quote:

Alaundo, we need a crying smiley...

Speaking of which... How/Where do we submit new emoticons for inclusion on the boards? I had one that would have been perfect in my earlier post.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  04:56:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Speaking of which... How/Where do we submit new emoticons for inclusion on the boards? I had one that would have been perfect in my earlier post.

I'd email a moderator. That way Alaundo or Tethoril can tell you in private if they are interested in such a submission.
Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2004 :  17:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another trilogy!? *jumping around the room cheering*

wow these past few days are getting better and better. first i get to go to the olympic games and now this!! and the best bit was, i got to read "another name for dawn" yesterday... WOW!! i absolutely loved it! are you still thinking of using westgate for the upcoming novels? (if only you could see me on my knees in begging position... ) there are so many little bits that could enrich these novels. of course i don't know yet what happens in your next book so... but some westgate links would be perfect. in that case, inserting "another name for dawn" in the first novel would be a good idea, as it is dragon is a b**ch to find! and it's a pitty if people haven't read it yet.

by the way... "too long in the dark" was yours as well! completely missed that fact! i'll stop boring you and just keep the "i loved it" for myself!

cheers

phobos

PS oh one more thing... dawn... erevos... erevis... is that intended? eventhough erevos does not mean dawn the link is to strong to ignore.

Edited by - Phobos on 06 Sep 2004 17:45:24
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  16:34:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those interested, I have started a weblog, which will double as my website for providing updated information regarding my writing.

You can find it here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/paulskemp/
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  16:35:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phobos

PS oh one more thing... dawn... erevos... erevis... is that intended? eventhough erevos does not mean dawn the link is to strong to ignore.

Phobos,

An unintended but happy coincidence. Possibly I was drawing on the Jungian collective consciousness when I came up with it?
Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  16:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
An unintended but happy coincidence. Possibly I was drawing on the Jungian collective consciousness when I came up with it?

seems so... :) by the way...good thing that log... and congrats for your kinds. may you enjoy them and good health to them, as we say in greece. :)

*possible spoiler*

by the way... (as a note i haven't started your trilogy yet. don't like doing that with a book missing, so don't know if this has happened already) do you intend to keep jeldis alive? if the masks found out about erevis' trick and he managed to survive their wrath, i'd be well pissed off, if i were in his shoes! (of course, as billy connolly says, before you judge a man walk a mile in his shoes. after that... who cares, you are a mile away and you've got his shoes!:) i just wanted to say that, i know it's irrelevant! :))
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Phobos,

The fate of Jeldis is unknown. Perhaps if and when Cale returns to Westgate (he does not in the trilogy), he can look his old "friend" up.
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  14:56:19  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I want to know about book VI of War of the Spider Queen: Does Halisstra die?

James
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  18:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

The only thing I want to know about book VI of War of the Spider Queen: Does Halisstra die?

James

Er....I doubt that will get answered here James!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  12:40:55  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Never hurts to ask. Besides, all I want is yes or no. I don't need detailed account

James
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  17:49:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

quote:

Never hurts to ask. Besides, all I want is yes or no. I don't need detailed account

James

Rad is correct, James. I can't answer that.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should do this the other way round.

It would be very kind of you, if you let Danifae, Lolth and a few evil drow survive book VI of the War of the Spider Queen series.

Danifae is one of the more archetypical yet non-to-chaotic and mad drow and I like the way Valas does his business as well. Those charas should stay there for some time to come, I hope.

IMHO, any success Halisstra would have regarding her sword would be a major let-down, especially if one considers the actual powers of a deity (not to mention those who would guard her). But that's just me.

I do hope as well that Erevis Cale will see some more adventures, since he has quickly moved up to one of the top novel characters on the FR horizon, again in my humble opinion.

All the best, Zanan.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  22:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Paul.

I just read the Soulbound and I must say I liked how you described
the feelings of the servants of Mask who realized they had no hope to escape. The shadow dragon certainly had more personality here than in the Twilight Falling.
Was the Soulbound already written before you started the Cale trilogy or
did you quickly write it up for the Realms of Dragons?

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  23:48:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I certainly do not know the answer, however should Halisstra die this might be a temporay situation (with all the ways to restore to life). Of course he might appear to die and not realy get killed.
Now 2hom it would be interesting to see die a final death is Lolth, may the light take her, oh I mean a final one or at least drop in divine rank.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  01:43:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Now 2hom it would be interesting to see die a final death is Lolth, may the light take her, oh I mean a final one or at least drop in divine rank.

From your lips to WOTC's ears...
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  14:51:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Paul.

I just read the Soulbound and I must say I liked how you described
the feelings of the servants of Mask who realized they had no hope to escape. The shadow dragon certainly had more personality here than in the Twilight Falling.
Was the Soulbound already written before you started the Cale trilogy or
did you quickly write it up for the Realms of Dragons?

Lauzoril,

I wrote "Soulbound" after the Cale books, but I had the rudiments of the story kicking around in my brain while I wrote the Cale books.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000