Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  19:01:52  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Would you consider writing novels set outside of the Realms, or even outside of game settings entirely?

I think your writing is top-notch, and I think it might be time for you to 'break out', as it were. I would love to see what you can do without your hands being tied, or if given the chance to develop your own world.

Time to move on up to the 'A' List, my good sir.

Markus,

Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words.

In answer to your questions -- yes, and yes.

As a matter of fact, I've reached verbal agreement with another publisher for a non-Realmsian novel. As soon as the contract is finalized, I will announce it (assuming it doesn't fall through, which seems unlikely). It is, however, tie-in. But it's big tie-in.

As for doing non-tie in work, absolutely. I've published a few short stories that are non-tie in (one appears in the anthology Sails and Sorcery, another in the anthology Horrors Beyond II, and the third will appear in the anthology Worlds of Their Own (it originally appeared in Dragon 356). In addition, I work at two novels set in worlds of my own creation as time and circumstance allow -- but therein lies the rub.

The day job and my desire to spend time with my family (my wife and I have three year old twin boys) leaves me with only so much time for writing. Up to now, almost all that time was filled with Realms-related work, though it did allow for the occasional short-fiction foray into non-tie-in work.

As I've grown as a writer, my productivity has likewise grown. It takes me less time today to write 2,000 quality words than it did a few years ago. So now I think I can do two novels per year, perhaps with a short story or two thrown into the mix.

For the next year and change, that two novel quota is full (with my next Realms trilogy and the other tie-in novel I mentioned), so I probably won't have much opportunity to write more of the non-tie-in novel I mentioned above. It'll sit, as it does now, at about 1/3rd of the way done. But the schedule will not stay full with tie-in novel opportunities, so I will get back to it. In the meantime hope to keep my toes in the non-tie-in waters with a short story here and there.

Of course, I could solve my time problem by simply stopping writing in the Realms and taking no more tie-in work (or quitting my day job, but that just isn't in the cards, I fear). But the truth is that I like the Realms -- a lot. I like my fellow authors, my editors, the fans, the world itself, etc. So I plan to stick around in the Realms and (eventually) get a more significant non-tie-in presence going as well. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. Quite the contrary, actually. I seem them as complementary.

Man, that was a long winded answer to a simple question and probably lots more information than you wanted.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 25 Mar 2008 19:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  19:27:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Amazon says that the publication date of Shadowrealm has been moved from May to December. Do you know if this is true? If so, that is insane, that would make its publication 16 months after the second book!

Well, anyways, thanks in advance for your response.

--Hawkins

PS Also, if it is true, would you mind sharing your feelings on the topic?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2008 :  22:25:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He answered this in his thread over at WotC - the dates were pushed back because WotC felt there was a bit of a 'log-jam' of novels in the early part of the year, and decided it would be best to spread them out, so as not to intimidate FR fans with the shear amount of lore presented all at once.

I think thats what he said, anyway.

@Paul - thanks for the quick reply. I'd love to know what IP you will be writing for in that deal, bt I'm sure it's ND as on now.

If its SW, I think you can do one helluva a Sith Lord-gone-rogue. I may just have to start reading some of those...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Mar 2008 22:26:01
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  10:08:51  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

He answered this in his thread over at WotC - the dates were pushed back because WotC felt there was a bit of a 'log-jam' of novels in the early part of the year, and decided it would be best to spread them out, so as not to intimidate FR fans with the shear amount of lore presented all at once.

I think thats what he said, anyway.

In truth, I don't know all the reasons for the rescheduling of the release date (both for Shadowrealm and for a few other novels), but, as I mentioned on the WotC boards, I'm kind of glad for it, as it de-bunches a lot of releases, gives readers time to digest events and stories, etc.

I hope the book proves worth the wait, Hawkins.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  12:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be told bold to ask you whether the shadowy figure which Varra met in Continuum is the very same "filth-clad" man whom Cale met in Shadowbred?
Noticed that while reading the book again for a revision over at the DnD-Gate.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  13:22:08  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Would it be told bold to ask you whether the shadowy figure which Varra met in Continuum is the very same "filth-clad" man whom Cale met in Shadowbred?
Noticed that while reading the book again for a revision over at the DnD-Gate.

Not at all, Zanan. I'll stick it under a spoiler tag in case some readers prefer not to know.

Yes, it was.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  14:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey I noticed in "Shadowstorm" the word "Sh*t" was used. This is the first (in my experience) I have seen this word used in a realms novel. Is this something that was not allowed before perhaps, or just avoided for fear of offending someone who is offended by such a word (my mother in law comes to mind LOL)?

Mod Edit: Please watch the language. I know you're talking about a Realmslore reference, but still... the CoC applies.

Poster Edit: Oops, sorry, slight oversight.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 18 Jun 2008 15:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  16:52:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "sh" word showed up in Road of the Patriarch as well. Surprise, surprise. Also, I recall the word making an appearance in the first Eberron novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  17:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

The "sh" word showed up in Road of the Patriarch as well. Surprise, surprise. Also, I recall the word making an appearance in the first Eberron novel.

Ahhh, well that goes to show how bad my memory is. I'm thinking it wasn't allowed back in the TSR days (along with evil not being allowed to be intelligent).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  18:06:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Ahhh, well that goes to show how bad my memory is. I'm thinking it wasn't allowed back in the TSR days (along with evil not being allowed to be intelligent).

Actually, the Gary Gygax Greyhawk novels had a surprising amount of profanity (for TSR and for the time). I don't recall if the s-word was in there, but I do recall some other choice words.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  18:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Actually, the Gary Gygax Greyhawk novels had a surprising amount of profanity (for TSR and for the time). I don't recall if the s-word was in there, but I do recall some other choice words.

Well if anyone could bend the rules its Mr.D&D himself

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  16:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Sounds like the Ravenloft novels were hit as well Sage. Matt mentions Ari Marmell by name and he was certainly writing one of the new Ravenloft novels.

Matt mentions that Paul Kemp's novel has been cancelled as well. As Paul only works (to my knowledge) on Realms novels, this news is ominous indeed.

The last Erevis Cale novel? Oh, pleeeze say it ain't so, Joe! I've been stewing in my own bile for months, wanting to read the second trilogy, but I've been waiting for the last book, then saw ... ominous is the right word ... that it was moved to the end of the year, and now ... what?!?

Paaauuul ... shine some light into this darkness, please!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  16:52:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See my two recent posts in the novels forum.

But to repeat, no, it's not the last Erevis novel that has been canceled and the line that has been canceled has nothing to do with FR, it is/was a whole seperate line of novels. And, Paul has also announced another trilogy with Erevis.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

The last Erevis Cale novel? Oh, pleeeze say it ain't so, Joe! I've been stewing in my own bile for months, wanting to read the second trilogy, but I've been waiting for the last book, then saw ... ominous is the right word ... that it was moved to the end of the year, and now ... what?!?

Paaauuul ... shine some light into this darkness, please!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Jul 2008 16:52:44
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  02:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  18:37:26  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good.

JK,

Kuje is correct about another FR trilogy. I've indicated that it will be released in trade paperback format and that it will build on events from the Twilight War, but I have not made any announcements regarding characters who may appear or more detailed story content (I cannot just yet).

Hope that clears things up.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  21:47:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Good.

JK,

Kuje is correct about another FR trilogy. I've indicated that it will be released in trade paperback format and that it will build on events from the Twilight War, but I have not made any announcements regarding characters who may appear or more detailed story content (I cannot just yet).

Hope that clears things up.

Paul

Trade Paperbacks...very cool!

Can't wait read about Cale bouncing his and Varra's baby on his knee.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  02:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Looking at the Gen Con Book Signing Schedule I see your only allotted slot is for 10 AM on Saturday. That's the exact time the 'Secrets of the Forgotten Realms' seminar is being held. Any possibility you can shift your Author's Avenue appearance to another time?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  02:38:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Paul,

Looking at the Gen Con Book Signing Schedule I see your only allotted slot is for 10 AM on Saturday. That's the exact time the 'Secrets of the Forgotten Realms' seminar is being held. Any possibility you can shift your Author's Avenue appearance to another time?

Brian,

The odd thing is, I thought I had. Because I want to attend the FR Seminar, I switched to the 4PM signing on Saturday, with RAS and Phil Athans. Perhaps Jean Rabe (who is the keeper of the Author's Alley schedule) has not updated it. I will send her another email asking her to officially change my time. Thanks for pointing it out. I hope to see you there at 4:00PM so we can exchange "well mets".

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 24 Jul 2008 02:39:58
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  03:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Twilight Falling. Nice work, good inspiration for the kind of games I prefer to play; gritty urban fantasy in shadowed alleys.

I've got an annoyingly specific lore query, though. Drasek Riven is mentioned as being from Amn and letters man and all-around cunning linguist Erevis Cale addresses him at least once in a language others are not supposed to understand. In the book, this language is given as 'Amnian' and since references to it are contrasted with 'Chondathan' and 'Thorass', one could conclude that it is not the same language as either (indeed, the scene in the Fane of Shadows establishes that it is explicitly not Chondathan).

The problem is, various supplements for Amn give the official language there as either Common (making it useless as a form of clandestine communcation), Chondathan or Thorass.

What language is 'Amnian' meant to represent?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 03 Aug 2008 03:57:26
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  07:15:05  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I've always though most Amnians spoke Alzhedo... is Alzhedo only used in Calimshan?
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  16:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Really? I've always though most Amnians spoke Alzhedo... is Alzhedo only used in Calimshan?

As it is a former Emirate of Shoon, I'd guess Alzhedo was commonly used before Amn became a nation.

Some time before the present day, however, it appears that Alzhedo lost favour in Amn (probably for nationalistic reasons) and they picked up some other languages.

As I said, canon is inconsistent regarding what specific language is spoken there. In my campaigns, I've ruled that Thorass is still used as the 'official' court and business language, stemming from an edict during Imnel I's reign that contracts made in Alzhedo would not be upheld in the realm.

During the millenia after that, Chondathan and Common (in my campaigns, close enough so that speakers of Chondathan can understand Common if spoken slowly) made inroads into the society until Alzhedo all but disappeared as the native language of anyone. The Common language of Amnians is still coloured by a range of Talfiric and Calimshite phrases and a sing-song accent remniscient of Alzhedo, but their native language is still Chondathan (albeit a dialect of it that sounds very strange to Northern ears).

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  17:41:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

I just finished Twilight Falling. Nice work, good inspiration for the kind of games I prefer to play; gritty urban fantasy in shadowed alleys.

I've got an annoyingly specific lore query, though. Drasek Riven is mentioned as being from Amn and letters man and all-around cunning linguist Erevis Cale addresses him at least once in a language others are not supposed to understand. In the book, this language is given as 'Amnian' and since references to it are contrasted with 'Chondathan' and 'Thorass', one could conclude that it is not the same language as either (indeed, the scene in the Fane of Shadows establishes that it is explicitly not Chondathan).

The problem is, various supplements for Amn give the official language there as either Common (making it useless as a form of clandestine communcation), Chondathan or Thorass.

What language is 'Amnian' meant to represent?

Icelander,

The only reference to "Amnian" that I can find in TF is the single reference in the Fane of Shadows, when each of the listeners simultaneously "hears" the same words in a different tongue. Riven mentions that its "Amnian" but that is, perhaps, just loose terminology on his part (in the same way that a modern day speaker who didn't need to speak precisely might say "He spoke Iranian" when the actual language at issue is, say, Farsi). What Riven means in this particular case might simply be the particular Amnish dialect of Thorass/Chondathan/whatnot. Or he could have meant Alzhedo.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 03 Aug 2008 17:42:59
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  18:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Icelander,

The only reference to "Amnian" that I can find in TF is the single reference in the Fane of Shadows, when each of the listeners simultaneously "hears" the same words in a different tongue. Riven mentions that its "Amnian" but that is, perhaps, just loose terminology on his part (in the same way that a modern day speaker who didn't need to speak precisely might say "He spoke Iranian" when the actual language at issue is, say, Farsi). What Riven means in this particular case might simply be the particular Amnish dialect of Thorass/Chondathan/whatnot. Or he could have meant Alzhedo.

On page 204 in my paperback, during the scene with Serrin in the barn, Cale reproaches Riven for deviating from their plan. The fact that the book mentions that he does so in Amnian I took to mean that he was attempting to avoid being understood by their prisoner. That rules out Common, since it would have been instantly understood by nearly anyone.

Thorass, then, I suppose; with Alzhedo mixed in, I guess. Riven grew up on a noble's manor, where the masters of the house might have spoken Thorass.

Or maybe the actual language in Amn is, as you say, a peculiar dialect of Chondathan that evolved from Thorass with influences from Alzhedo and traders from Chondath. So even if the language in Amn is classified in the FRCS as 'Chondathan' and is even somewhat mutually intelligible to speakers of that language, it is actually a parallel linguistic development.

That's much more believable than the idea that Amnians suddenly abandoned all signs of a native language and took up the language of their trading partners wholesale.

In any event, kudos for mentioning languages in your writing. Too few writers pay any mind at all to the variety of fictional languages around their fictional creations and how knowledge of them or lack thereof can advance the story.

Azriim's lack of knowledge of the drow language marked him as a possible imposter right in the first scene where Cale met him, for example. And Cale's trick of speaking to people in their native languages when he wants to speak for their ears only is something all rogue PCs worth the name should be able to do to some extent.

I'm just finishing the trilogy now. Good work.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folks,

Here is my GenCon schedule. I hope those of you in attendance will find me at one or another of these events and say hey-ho-howdy. I'm really very nice and I might, just might, wear a chainmail bikini. I'm just sayin'.

Saturday, August 16th

10AM-Noon -- Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar, held in the Indiana ballroom A/B of the Marriot Downtown Hotel (1st floor), adjacent to the minatures gaming area. I'm not on the panel, but I'll be there.

2:30PM-3:30PM -- Worlds of Their Own signing in the Paizo booth, along with Ed Greenwood, Michael Stackpole, Greg Stolze, and Jim Lowder.

4PM-5PM -- Signing anything you want signed in Author's Avenue, together with Phil Athans and R.A. Salvatore. I'll be the guy without the long line. :-)

5PM-6PM -- Signing anything you want signed in the Wizards of the Coast Booth.

Please note that the schedule published on the Wizards' site has me listed for a signing at 1PM on Friday. I am not in Indy on Friday, so unless there is some virtual Paul S. Kemp technology about which I am unaware, that listing is a mistake. Also, the Author's Avenue schedule has me listed for a 10:00AM signing on Saturday. That has been moved to 4:00PM (so I can attend the Secrets of the Realms seminar), as listed above.

Meanwhile, if you'd like a map of the Exhibit Hall for Gencon, find it here, along with a booth key by vendor name (the Paizo booth is 329, right next to the WotC castle, while Author's alley is off to the right side of the page): http://community.gencon.com/files/

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 11 Aug 2008 18:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  12:21:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

As it is a former Emirate of Shoon, I'd guess Alzhedo was commonly used before Amn became a nation.

Some time before the present day, however, it appears that Alzhedo lost favour in Amn (probably for nationalistic reasons) and they picked up some other languages.

As I said, canon is inconsistent regarding what specific language is spoken there. In my campaigns, I've ruled that Thorass is still used as the 'official' court and business language, stemming from an edict during Imnel I's reign that contracts made in Alzhedo would not be upheld in the realm.

During the millenia after that, Chondathan and Common (in my campaigns, close enough so that speakers of Chondathan can understand Common if spoken slowly) made inroads into the society until Alzhedo all but disappeared as the native language of anyone. The Common language of Amnians is still coloured by a range of Talfiric and Calimshite phrases and a sing-song accent remniscient of Alzhedo, but their native language is still Chondathan (albeit a dialect of it that sounds very strange to Northern ears).

I also think there is an amnian form of common called Calant. Now, where did I read that I wonder?
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  15:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I also think there is an amnian form of common called Calant. Now, where did I read that I wonder?

Probably Tom Costa's Speaking in Tongues article in Dragon Annual #4. Which I apparently can't buy via download, for love or money.

It's a dialect of Common, though, which argues against it being useable as a form of covert commmunication.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  14:05:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-So In about two weeks we should learn the Fate of Mask, and his Chosen.

-Mr. Kemp the next book will be released on Dec. 2nd right?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Nov 2008 14:05:52
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  17:59:55  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-So In about two weeks we should learn the Fate of Mask, and his Chosen.

-Mr. Kemp the next book will be released on Dec. 2nd right?

BRIMSTONE

Brimstone,

Yes, December 2nd is the release date. I doubt the novel is a strict on sale title, so you might be able to find it on shelves a bit early.

Hope it proves worth the wait.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  07:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick post to say I have made good on my threat and started reading the Erevis Cale Trilogy—I had to wait a while for Dawn of the Night to come off back-order. I loved how Riven was humanised in Twilight Falling by showing his love for his gi... dogs. It's little touches like that, like the frailty of the Sojourner described at the start of DotN that make these books come to life. Another is of course the utter Realmsian-ness of the expressions and phrases, even when they are author descriptions—like the description of the old sailor who owns the place where Cale and Jak has a room.

Well done, Paul!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  16:06:03  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Just a quick post to say I have made good on my threat and started reading the Erevis Cale Trilogy—I had to wait a while for Dawn of the Night to come off back-order. I loved how Riven was humanised in Twilight Falling by showing his love for his gi... dogs. It's little touches like that, like the frailty of the Sojourner described at the start of DotN that make these books come to life. Another is of course the utter Realmsian-ness of the expressions and phrases, even when they are author descriptions—like the description of the old sailor who owns the place where Cale and Jak has a room.

Well done, Paul!

Thanks, Kyrene. I appreciate that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000