Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  12:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I'll buy these for my wife... then casually stuff the first book from the Liriel series under her pillow, once she is done reading them...

Heh. No guarantees, but it HAS worked for some....

Well the names are awfully similar, might work for the first few pages and then you're hooked!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Well the names are awfully similar...

FWIW, I've resolved to henceforth avoid the words "shadow," "starlight," and "darkness" in future book and series titles.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  20:55:54  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Well the names are awfully similar...

FWIW, I've resolved to henceforth avoid the words "shadow," "starlight," and "darkness" in future book and series titles.

This just proves the reason that the Thesarus was created, so you could replace Shadow with Gloom or Shade. Or you could create your own language or use Tolkien's languages.

Also saw the whole 'Plunderdome' episode on "City Confidencial" on A&E. The only reason that Buddy could run after his first conviction was that he got the charges reversed. Also you forgot to mention The Mayor's own Pasta Sauce he used in his election or his wig collection that had specfic wigs for certain occations.

This is the link to that episode. I think it has a trailer.
http://www.aetv.com/city_confidential/city_episode_guide.jsp?episode=135596

Anyway, I am not sure if this is under the speculation ban that you created for yourself, but...

What do you think of the Planetouched the Eric Boyd created for Dragon 350 (December 2006)? Especially the Elf/Eladrin (Usually Firre) combo called Celadrin. Well, it appears to be 100% content, so you can choose to ignore my question if you wish. But I will instead place it to your fans.

Sorry, and Merry Christmas (Or insert selected holiday as I can't spell well).

HVulpes

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 20 Dec 2006 21:19:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  21:05:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

What do you think of the Planetouched the Eric Boyd created for Dragon 350 (December 2006)? Especially the Elf/Eladrin (Usually Firre) combo called Celadrin. It is not 100 percent offical for the realms as it is not in any FR cannon books, but it might be some day.

Actually, it is a Realms-specific article presented in Dragon magazine. Hence, it is 100% official Realms canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  22:14:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

What do you think of the Planetouched the Eric Boyd created for Dragon 350 (December 2006)? Especially the Elf/Eladrin (Usually Firre) combo called Celadrin. It is not 100 percent offical for the realms as it is not in any FR cannon books, but it might be some day.

Actually, it is a Realms-specific article presented in Dragon magazine. Hence, it is 100% official Realms canon.

What Wooly said.

To be candid, I haven't read the article yet, so I can't comment.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  22:40:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
...the New England mafia...

-The rest of us call that a country club...

-Ugh, that wasn't even really funny. I'm sorry, Anway, Elaine, can you elaborate a little more on all the teleporting going on by the Lyathari in Silver Shadows? I was looking at the write-ups for Lythari in Elves of Evermeet, and nothing is mentioned about teleporting. I have no problem with it, mind you, so don't worry. But, more specifically, can you elaborate on how "powerful" this ability is. I always had the assumption that the ability was only to/from their dens, but after rereading Silver Shadows, and watching Ganamede "sneak up" on Queen Amlauril, in her garden in Evermeet, I'd like to know the full extent of this ability.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Dec 2006 22:43:06
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  02:13:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
...the New England mafia...

-The rest of us call that a country club...

Read up on Ray Petriarcha, and then get back to me.

quote:
Anway, Elaine, can you elaborate a little more on all the teleporting going on by the Lyathari in Silver Shadows? I was looking at the write-ups for Lythari in Elves of Evermeet, and nothing is mentioned about teleporting. I have no problem with it, mind you, so don't worry. But, more specifically, can you elaborate on how "powerful" this ability is. I always had the assumption that the ability was only to/from their dens, but after rereading Silver Shadows, and watching Ganamede "sneak up" on Queen Amlauril, in her garden in Evermeet, I'd like to know the full extent of this ability.

Elves have a sensitivity to hidden doors. Lythari, IMO, have an even keener sense, to the place where they can sense--and often use--magical gates.

The reasoning for this? It seemed likely to me that the lythari's wolf form would result in at least one sense that would be keener than an elf's, much as wolves/dogs have a much more subtle and powerful sense of smell than humans. I can't quote 3.5 stats on this ability, as I don't believe it's been officially addressed, but feel free to home-rule away!

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 27 Dec 2006 19:35:31
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2006 :  05:02:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Thank you for that, Elaine.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  12:03:41  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

[quote] That was an inadvertent oops, but I take some comfort in the fact that my Spelljammer book only sold about 37 copies.

Really just 37?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  15:43:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

[quote] That was an inadvertent oops, but I take some comfort in the fact that my Spelljammer book only sold about 37 copies.

Really just 37?

Heh. No, I was engaging in hyperbole.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2006 :  16:13:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

Really just 37?

Heh. No, I was engaging in hyperbole.

Indeed. It's actually 38 copies sold.

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  02:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message
Sorry if this's been asked before, Elaine: But how goes your next Realms book that I heard's supposed to be out in 2008? anything you can tell us of it?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  19:30:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Sorry if this's been asked before, Elaine: But how goes your next Realms book that I heard's supposed to be out in 2008? anything you can tell us of it?

Well, for starters, I can tell you that the first draft is due on February 1, so I'll be wrapping it up in the next few weeks. Other than that, however, I'm constrained by various contractual terms and NDAs from discussing unpublished work.

Kind of takes the fun out of a place like this, doesn't it?
Go to Top of Page

boards
Acolyte

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  20:31:38  Show Profile  Visit boards's Homepage Send boards a Private Message
Hi Elaine.
I was just wondering whether Amlauril reatianed the Kingsword after she came back from arvandor, or if Lamruil took it with him to the new kingdom.

Thanks
Boards
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  20:39:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by boards

Hi Elaine.
I was just wondering whether Amlauril reatianed the Kingsword after she came back from arvandor, or if Lamruil took it with him to the new kingdom.

Thanks
Boards

Zaor's sword remains on Evermeet.

ec
Go to Top of Page

boards
Acolyte

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  22:30:08  Show Profile  Visit boards's Homepage Send boards a Private Message
Thanks for the quick response
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  00:36:41  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello again, Mrs. Cunningham.

*inclines head respectfully*

I was reading again the novel Elfshadow, and came across the part where Elaith filches the decanter. The line you use is...

The decanter alone was probably worth more than the inn would make during the entire festival week.

Is that because of the crystal decanter alone, or a mix of the decanter value as well as the price on the elverquisst? I realize how odd a question this must seem, but I felt that you could shine light on this for me. Also, how much was the decanter of elven spirits worth, please?

My best to you, ma'am, and a Happy New Year.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  02:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Elaine!

I was wondering if you could tell us anything more about Alice Tinker, the gnome from Thornhold. I really liked her! The scene when the Dwarves entered the shop, and she pulled out the pistol had me in hysterics! I was wondering if there was any information about where she was born, how old she is, when and how she joined the Harpers, etc.

Many thanks in advance, and hope you had a good Christmas and will have a great new year!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  02:59:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I was reading again the novel Elfshadow, and came across the part where Elaith filches the decanter. The line you use is...

The decanter alone was probably worth more than the inn would make during the entire festival week.

Is that because of the crystal decanter alone, or a mix of the decanter value as well as the price on the elverquisst? I realize how odd a question this must seem, but I felt that you could shine light on this for me. Also, how much was the decanter of elven spirits worth, please?

Hi, Penknight. It's not an odd question, but it's difficult to answer. As with most works of art, its value would depend upon many things: the skill of the crafter, the age of the item, the materials used to make it, its relative scarcity. It would have quite another sort of value to those who appreciate the rites and traditions associated with it. Because of all these things, and because the decanter is a unique item, it's virtually impossible to place a value on it.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  03:08:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I was wondering if you could tell us anything more about Alice Tinker, the gnome from Thornhold. I really liked her! The scene when the Dwarves entered the shop, and she pulled out the pistol had me in hysterics! I was wondering if there was any information about where she was born, how old she is, when and how she joined the Harpers, etc.

Hi, Uzzy. Thanks for the kind word. I was rather fond of Alice, myself.

I'm hesitant to pass along her back story and personal info, as I'm not certain whether or not she has been described in a game product. There may be some information about her in the City of Splendors game supplement--several other Thornhold characters were dealt with in this product. I saw pieces of an earlier version of the manuscript for CoS, but have not read the whole, final product. Most likely someone here has, and can tell you whether or not Alice was mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2006 :  04:30:28  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hi, Penknight. It's not an odd question, but it's difficult to answer. As with most works of art, its value would depend upon many things: the skill of the crafter, the age of the item, the materials used to make it, its relative scarcity. It would have quite another sort of value to those who appreciate the rites and traditions associated with it. Because of all these things, and because the decanter is a unique item, it's virtually impossible to place a value on it.

Oh, okay. Thank you for your time and Happy New Year.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  20:30:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hi, Uzzy. Thanks for the kind word. I was rather fond of Alice, myself.

I'm hesitant to pass along her back story and personal info, as I'm not certain whether or not she has been described in a game product. There may be some information about her in the City of Splendors game supplement--several other Thornhold characters were dealt with in this product. I saw pieces of an earlier version of the manuscript for CoS, but have not read the whole, final product. Most likely someone here has, and can tell you whether or not Alice was mentioned.

She is described in brief on pages 73 and 74 of that tome.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  22:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Forgive me if someone asked this before but why exactly did you choose Ashemmi to be the mother of the Heir to Salamar? Is she, being evil, cheating on Semmenon or do they have an open relationship in your opinion (that includes bearing another man's child)?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  21:58:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Forgive me if someone asked this before but why exactly did you choose Ashemmi to be the mother of the Heir to Samular? Is she, being evil, cheating on Semmenon or do they have an open relationship in your opinion (that includes bearing another man's child)?

Hard to say. Evil people can be monogamous, so evil, in and of itself, doesn't really answer the question. Relationships are always in flux, so while it might have made sense for Ashemmi to bear a child for a specific purpose at a particular time, I wouldn't presume to say what her relationship with Semmenon might now be.

Is that vague enough?

More fundamentally, why Ashemmi? Because she was a power in Darkhold, where Dag Zoreth was stationed, because she is known as a given magic-user, and because it opened up several potential cans of worms for the authors who (or so I thought at the time) would come after. THORNHOLD was originally envisioned as a "pivot" book in the Harper saga, not an end to it, and including an interesting NPC with a complicated background was a deliberate choice, designed to provide a hook for some future tale involving the politics and personalities of the Zhentarim. Didn't work out that way.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  22:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Well thanks anyway.

I'll just assume that she and Semmy were on the outs at the time. She doesn't seem a very devoted mother anyway.

I look forward to your short story regarding the Knights of Sammy btw. They're one of the few paladin orders detailed in the realms you'll be surprised to know.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 08 Jan 2007 22:25:59
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  22:23:51  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

They're one of the few paladin orders detailed in the realms you'll be surprised to know.

Heh.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  22:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Yeah, part of why I was so happy and sad at once to read it ;-) I love me paladins.

And I did love the lead character of Agolrind. Despite the fact the character is MONSTROUSLY focused to the point of utterly lacking any compassion, I can't really hate him since he never seems to actually even realize he's just slaughtered a little girl's parents before her eyes.

He's too dense to hate (I imagine if they revise him for 3rd edition, this guy won't have NEARLY as high a wisdom as he was given in his initial stat up)

One more question, will Arilyn and Bronwyn ever meet? I'd love to see that awkward conversation for Danilo. Especially since he seemed to be so upset about meeting Foxfire. I guess Dan has a double standard.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 08 Jan 2007 22:27:12
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  22:57:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

And I did love the lead character of Agolrind. Despite the fact the character is MONSTROUSLY focused to the point of utterly lacking any compassion, I can't really hate him since he never seems to actually even realize he's just slaughtered a little girl's parents before her eyes. He's too dense to hate (I imagine if they revise him for 3rd edition, this guy won't have NEARLY as high a wisdom as he was given in his initial stat up)

He is a single-minded kind of guy, I'll grant you that. I never envisioned Algorind as having a particularly high wisdom score--just high enough to qualify as a rookie paladin, and that having more to do with innate potential. In plain speaking, he's a kid, and a very sheltered one at that. If he survives long enough to see something of the world and learn a few things about the intricacies of human relationships, he could be pretty good at what he does.

quote:
One more question, will Arilyn and Bronwyn ever meet? I'd love to see that awkward conversation for Danilo. Especially since he seemed to be so upset about meeting Foxfire. I guess Dan has a double standard.

They did meet, briefly, in Dream Spheres, and Bronwyn, in her blunt and forthright fashion, addressed the matter with Arilyn. She mentioned that she and Dan had tangled the sheets some years back and were now friends, and advised Arilyn to remind him of this if he worried that she and Foxfire would not likewise put such matters behind them. Double standard? I wouldn't go THAT far, but as Bronwyn pointed out, "Men were not put on this world to make our lives easier. They were just put here."
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  23:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Ah yes, I remembered that moment now. Oddly, more Danilo's ridiculous overreaction just overshadowed it. I never liked Foxfire but for some reason the intimacy of her time with him upset my Danilo/Arilyn shipping more than if Arilyn had been sexually promiscuous. Must be a guy thing.

Well thanks Elaine.

One last question then and switching to dear Liriel. Why did you kill off her poor guardian? It left poor Dark Elf Princess all alone in the world!

If you've answered that question before and don't want to answer it again, I understand. Then I'd switch my question :devil: to another one.

Do you think that the Gold Elves Kymil rescued for his conquest of Evermeet will be able to settle in or will they be prisoners forever despite probably being dupes?

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 08 Jan 2007 23:08:27
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  23:36:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

One last question then and switching to dear Liriel. Why did you kill off her poor guardian? It left poor Dark Elf Princess all alone in the world!

There's a lengthy answer to that question, on the FAQ page of my website:

http://elainecunningham.com/FAQ.htm

quote:
Do you think that the Gold Elves Kymil rescued for his conquest of Evermeet will be able to settle in or will they be prisoners forever despite probably being dupes?

Hard to say. I don't make predictions about what may happen to the elves of Faerun. A good reason for that is illustrated by your recent post in the S&S review thread. (Glad you like the series, btw) Quite some time ago, I suggested in this forum that perhaps the moonblade accepted Arilyn because it had been tampered with. This tied in to the plot of the sixth and final S&S book. But then other authors picked up moonblades and ran with them, and I had to (rather drastically) alter the course that the resolution of moonblade lore would take. Okay, that happens. Problem is, the non-canon speculations I've made in the past are out there, and they've shaped people's perception of the books that have been written and their expectations of the story to come. That was not a very smart move on my part, because when you're working in a shared world, you can't take anything for granted. I've learned that the best policy for a shared-world author to follow when asked to speculate or extrapolate is simply to politely decline, and then to STFU.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Jan 2007 23:57:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000