Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The crystal shard
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nessus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  20:07:53  Show Profile Send nessus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow realm-a-philes
I am looking for information concerning the crystal shard artifact and Akar kessel. I am currently running a campaign (chars are lvl 13) a world where house do'urden never existed. My players are about to go to icewind dale to try and acquire crenshinibon from Akar kessel, the problem is that drizzt was supposed to have defeated him 10 years ago, so he conquered all of icewind dale in that time. I have searched for several hours but have been unable to find the 3.0 or 3.5 stats for either crenshinibon or akar kessel. I appeal to the scholars or the realms to either point me to canon stats (which i doubt exist) or speculate and help me create crenshinibon and Akar Kessel, any and all responses are appreciated
thank you ;P

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that who cares! he's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  20:44:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you will ahve to search the 2.e stuff

volo's guides......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  21:55:49  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forget if Kessel was ever started out in a 2e source or not. Crenshinibon never did but Kessel's Brotherhood master was. Kessel did get 4e stats as a Wight in Legacy of the Crystal Shard though.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  05:56:31  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant be sure, but im quite certain that Kessel was statted as level 5 wiz. Cant remember the source right now.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  14:53:08  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crenshenibon, The Crystal Shard, was statted for 2E in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. I seem to remember that it was once available as a free PDF download from the WotC website, but last time I checked the links were broken, so I cannot check. In any event, it's available as a (paying) PDF Download from dndclassics.com .

Edited by - Thauramarth on 13 Jan 2014 15:06:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  16:10:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Crenshenibon, The Crystal Shard, was statted for 2E in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. I seem to remember that it was once available as a free PDF download from the WotC website, but last time I checked the links were broken, so I cannot check. In any event, it's available as a (paying) PDF Download from dndclassics.com .

It was once available for free. I didn't know they wanted money for it, now. Commentary on that one withheld.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  18:09:39  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course. Something was nagging at the back of my head as I was typing my last post but I chalked it up to the bad grammar. Pages 99-101.

Go to Top of Page

nessus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  17:50:18  Show Profile Send nessus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry hashi, is that 99 to 101 of volo's guide? Also thanks to everyone for their input, I'll have to find more volo guides, I only have the guide to the north as pdf... cheers

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that who cares! he's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  20:50:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nessus

sorry hashi, is that 99 to 101 of volo's guide? Also thanks to everyone for their input, I'll have to find more volo guides, I only have the guide to the north as pdf... cheers

try here

http://www.dndclassics.com/

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  02:00:35  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you all visualize the Shard as looking?

The way I read the stories, it is about a foot-long, jagged piece of crystal. It's basically translucent whitish rock. But when it is energized and prepares to unleash a spell, like its heat energy beam, it starts lighting up with rainbow colors. And then when a tower representation of the Shard or copy of the Shard fails, it turns solid black, like obsidian.

But the Lockwood artwork has always shown the Shard as being green-colored crystal. Where did that come from?

I believe The Ghost King was the first time that the Shard was actually described in text as being green. But by that time, the Shard had gone through a lot and was actually quite thoroughly damaged, so I attribute that green hue to the Shard having been changed from its original state. I still don't think it was green all along, though, despite the Lockwood art.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  04:09:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

But the Lockwood artwork has always shown the Shard as being green-colored crystal. Where did that come from?

Probably from the same place as that funky gold forehead thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  18:30:34  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the depiction in the graphic novels of the Shard are how I envision it (and true to the original text). By the Ghost King the Shard was pretty much not itself (physically destroyed in Servant of the Shard by dragon fire).
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  20:54:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[quote]Originally posted by BEAST

Probably from the same place as that funky gold forehead thing./quote]
Ah, the headband of geekiness +3.

Somebody probably told him that it made him look younger. And back then, old man Drizzt seriously needed all the help he could get!

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  07:16:41  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertIt was once available for free. I didn't know they wanted money for it, now. Commentary on that one withheld.

I'm sure you can still download the free copy from the backed-up version of wizards.com on archive.org.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  14:07:45  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where was it described as obsidian? As I recall, it was originally a beautiful piece of crystal (hence the emerald color) that was 'corrupted' by the spirit that was entrapped within? I always thought the crystal looked like a smaller version of the towers it created. Mayhaps I'm wrong though as its been years since I read the novel (I really need to pull that one back out and read it again).

Oh and hail and well met nessus.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  05:27:36  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Where was it described as obsidian?

Well, the artifact is never described that way, nor are the tower constructs described exactly in those terms. But the towers are described as crystalline, and then at times as black. Black crystal = obsidian, more or less, right?

quote:
Though he walked among giants and trolls, the proud barbarian king's [Heafstaag's] stature was not diminished. He strode defiantly through the iron door of the black tower and pushed through the wretched troll guards with a threatening growl. He hated this place of sorcery and had decided to ignore the calling when the singular spinet of the tower appeared on the horizon like an icy finger risen from the flat ground. Yet in the end he could not resist the summons of the master of Cryshal-Tirith.

Heafstaag hated the wizard. By all measures of a tribesman Akar Kessell was weak, using tricks and demonic callings to do the work of muscle. And Heafstaag hated him even more because he could not refute the power, that the wizard commanded. (bold addded; TCSh, P2:C13)

Now, that use of the term "black" could be just figurative, instead of literal. I, actually, think that it is just figurative.

Or, alternatively, it could simply be referring to the fact that the tower had gone black during the night.

In addition to that, there is the scene in which Drizzt confronts Akar Kessell inside the tower. At the end of that scene, we're told:
quote:
Then he emptied the bag of flour over the gemstone. The tower seemed to groan in protest. It darkened.

[...] Somewhere in the bowels of Cryshal-Tirith, the decay had already begun. (bold added; TCSh, P3:C29)

[...] Cryshal-Tirith was a pile of blackened rubble, and Akar Kessell was buried in a frozen grave. (bold added; TCSh, P3:C30)

[...] He didn't give it too much thought, though, for the battle was no longer his first concern. His vision followed a narrow path, to the mound of broken black stonework that had been Cryshal-Tirith. He finished his descent from Kelvin's Cairn and headed down Bremen's Run-toward the rubble.

He had to find out if Regis or Guenhwyvar had escaped. (bold added; TCSh, P3:C31)

Now, I suppose that if the crystalline structure had darkened to black and decayed, then maybe it didn't look like obsidian so much in the end, but rather like coal.

quote:
As I recall, it was originally a beautiful piece of crystal (hence the emerald color) that was 'corrupted' by the spirit that was entrapped within?

But what makes you think "emerald" when you read the word "crystal"? Crystal can be made to look just about any color, depending on what chemicals are mixed in with the molten glass before it cools.

But neither Crenshinibon nor Cryshal-Tirith were ever said to have any particular color to them, until The Ghost King.

The Shard is also repeatedly described as looking like a square-sided icicle. Seen many <green icicles> lately?

quote:
I always thought the crystal looked like a smaller version of the towers it created.

Yep, that's right:
quote:
Now, centuries later, Errtu had stumbled upon the trail of the crystal shard again; a crystal tower, Cryshal-Tirith, with a
pulsating heart the exact image of Crenshinibon. (bold added; TCSh, Pre.)

quote:
And then he was once again facing Kessell, this time in the smallest room of the structure. Between them, hanging eerily in midair, was the pulsating hunk of crystal--Cryshal-Tirith's heart. It was four-sided and tapered like an icicle. Drizzt recognized it as a miniature replica of the tower he stood in, though it was barely a foot long.

An exact image of Crenshinibon. (bold added; TCSh, P3:C29)

Edited by - BEAST on 18 Jan 2014 05:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  02:45:42  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, crystal is neither glass nor obsidian. (And obsidian is simply naturally created volcanic glass, anyway.) Crystal has a different structure than glass, and is a form of clear quartz mineral. And depending on natural inclusions and impurities in the crystal's molecular structure, it can be almost any color from nearly black or dark drown(smoky quartz), to pink(rose quartz), blue, purple(amethyst), green, yellow, or yes, even green. There are man-made colored crystals that are "bathed" or irradiated in mixtures of different chemicals to change their color, but most colored crystals are formed naturally by pressure, heat, and other elements being present as they form.

Crenshinibon was most likely originally a CLEAR crystal of fairly large size and exceptional clarity (most crystals have inclusions, cracks, or other flaws within them) and later changed color due to the magic and/or the spirit that was trapped inside it. The towers would have reflected that in their appearance, as well. Also, Crensehnibon was powered by light, most especially sunlight, so perhaps it darkened when it was low on power. That might explain some of the descriptions of the towers or the crystal itself turning black.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  17:04:53  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Crenshinibon was most likely originally a CLEAR crystal of fairly large size and exceptional clarity (most crystals have inclusions, cracks, or other flaws within them) and later changed color due to the magic and/or the spirit that was trapped inside it. The towers would have reflected that in their appearance, as well. Also, Crensehnibon was powered by light, most especially sunlight, so perhaps it darkened when it was low on power. That might explain some of the descriptions of the towers or the crystal itself turning black.

The ice containing the remains of Cryshal-Tirith in Legacy of the Crystal Shard turned black.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  01:33:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That has nothing to do with its original color though. The tower's remains have no bearing on the crystal itself, as they are a construct created by it- not the actual crystal.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  02:22:23  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@BEAST: It's been such a long time since I read the novel I must be confusing literary descriptions with the artwork. For some reason, I always pictured the crystal as similar to the Kryptonian crystal used to create the Fortress of Solitude (which was originally a greenish color if memory serves).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  03:03:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shard itself is featured on the cover of the novel Servant of the Shard, a novel which switched from being part of Drizzt series to being part of the Sellswords series, with two different covers - BOTH featuring a picture of the shard. The best known (to me at any rate) is the original (which I had), and you can see that cover art HERE by Todd Lockwood.

Not sure if Lockwood also did the second cover - you can see that HERE.

Basically, it looks like a giant, uncut emerald.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jan 2014 14:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  03:21:50  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure the reprint cover is Lockwood as well, he did all the Drizzt reprint covers.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  05:49:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

That has nothing to do with its original color though. The tower's remains have no bearing on the crystal itself, as they are a construct created by it- not the actual crystal.

Well, since we know the tower turned black, then apparently it wasn't black to begin with.

And since the tower is an exact replica of the Shard, then apparently the Shard wasn't black to begin with, either.

So it at least tells us that much.

Although, there is still that blurb in which Heafstaag strides into the tower and it is said to be made of black stone. Fonstad's FR Atlas took this literally and said that the tower was, indeed, made of crystal that basically appeared black, until sunlight shone upon it.

But that clashes with my mental picture of an "icicle", though.

Edited by - BEAST on 20 Jan 2014 06:05:18
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  06:04:49  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Shard itself is featured on the cover of the novel Servant of the Shard, a novel which switched from being part of Drizzt series to being part of the Sellwswords series, with two different covers - BOTH featuring a picture of the shard. The best known (to me at any rate) is the original (which I had), and you can see that cover art HERE by Todd Lockwood.

Not sure if Lockwood also did the second cover - you can see that HERE.

Basically, it looks like a giant, uncut emerald.

Right.

The cover of the Paths of Darkness Collector's Edition, which was not done by Lockwood, shows the interior of the tower as a pale turquoise or aqua blue-green. This color scheme was repeated in A Reader's Guide to RAS's The Legend of Drizzt.

But RAS never embraced the greenish color in writing until The Ghost King, though.

I think he did so precisely because of the artwork. He had never mentioned a greenish color before the string of artwork used all that green.

I liken this to depictions of Bruenor's personal helmet and shield. In the text of The Crystal Shard, Bruenor has a helmet, but it is not described in any detail. The original Elmore cover art shows it as having little low-profile studs, but that's about it. But then Clyde Caldwell's cover art for Streams of Silver came along and depicted Bruenor as having a one-horned helm. In the text of SOSi, RAS starts out by saying that Bruenor had a horned helm, but after the Uthgardt barbarians capture some of the male Companions and leave behind their gear, Drizzt finds Bruenor's helmet, now described as missing one horn. From this point on, Bruenor's personal helmet (as opposed to the Clan Battlehammer royal crown-helmet) has been decribed as a one-horned helm, and has stood as his most signature piece of equipment.

I asked Bob about this once, and he said he didn't recall where he first got the idea of the one-horned helm, but either way, as far as the story goes now, Bruenor's helm lost that horn a long, long time ago, and it should be seen as having been a part of his character all along.

There's a similar deal with Bruenor's personal shield. In TCSh, the dwarf king is said to have a heavy, round iron shield. Caldwell's art for SOSi depicts a small, manageable round iron and wooden shield. In the text, Bruenor goes on to get upgrades, including a royal shield that appears to be solid gold, and which Lockwood would eventually illustrate as a large, jagged-edge tower shield. But in Gauntlgrym, when Bruenor abdicates the throne, he once again takes up all of his old gear, and he is described as carrying a wood and iron shield. Thus, Caldwell's old art was finally, retroactively embraced in the text.

So, therefore, this could mean that we should interpret the green depictions of the Shard and its towers in the artwork as being similarly binding, no matter what the text might say, as well. I dunno.

For now, though, I'm still going with a translucent whitish icicle.

Edited by - BEAST on 20 Jan 2014 06:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  15:04:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both could work.

What if the crystal is clear in its 'depowered', dormant state. Then once someone finds it, and it begins to absorb energy (lets call it 'discord'), it slowly gets a greenish hue. The more of this energy it gets, the darker it gets.

So when the crystal gets lost for a very long time and becomes dormant, it would appear nearly clear, or translucent.

Simple fix. Never mess with an angry crystal.

EDIT: And if its of the same nature as Zhengyi's fortress (and superman's? ), perhaps different crystals are attuned to different forms of emotional energy. We could also connect the crystal back to the primordials (shards of them?), but I'm sure most of you would hate that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jan 2014 15:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  09:28:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never imagined the crystal has been green. I always though of it as a completely translucent substance with a sickly, pale white light emanating from it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000