Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  08:25:19  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
She did make an appearance in the Halfling's Gem where Drizzt and Wulfgar stole a magic mask from her (then later returned it). The North's entry on Agatha's Grove mentions that Auglathla is an old elven dialect word meaning 'Winterbreeze'.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  13:03:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Thankyou very much Ed and THO, if i wasnt poor and living in England i might take a plane over to you just for a big hug.

I'm guessing several things here then, but they are more my own musings than actual questions (feel free to let me know if i hit any on the mark though).

1 - that the Aumersair's are the descendants of Elminsters eldest male child from a time not too distant of Athalanter.

2 - Elminster probably had a hand in Lashan's downfall even though i bet it was a bitter course of action for him to take.

3 - Manshoon undoubtedly knew of Lashan's and Scyllua Darkhope's ancestry and i bet he delighted in knowing and in some cases helping/forcing them to serve the cause of evil and the Zhentarim.

Poor Elminster, i bet he had his revenge somehow though.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  23:58:05  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Greetings, Ed and THO!

Since Auril demands her clergy to "quench fire wherever it is found", is it forbidden to them to light a fire in any circumstances? I'm thinking more specifically in cooking related situations. Are they permitted to consume only raw or fresh food? Also, are they permitted to use fire as light source?

Thanks!

Edited by - Hawkfeather on 06 Jan 2014 23:59:54
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  00:42:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Hawkfeather, off your question goes to Ed, but I recall two instances of clergy of Auril cooking, from play with Ed as DM, that involved the sun (cut and dressed meat placed between shiny metal plates on a sunbaked roof, and cooking on stones that had been heated all day in the same way, then brought inside into a "warm-pit" or stone-lined hole in the floor with an insulated wooden lid - - both of which mean there's no prohibition on cooked food.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  00:48:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And it's housekeeping time.

Markustay, yes, Ed realizes that. So his reply references killings he's had to do since he left Athalantar.

dazzlerdal, I can confirm that Ed would answer your #1 and your #2 with "yes," in both cases.

kysus, Volo was not making it up, Ed has some short notes on the elven family, and everything other scribes have mentioned is correct/true. So, lore coming from Ed...sometime.

Foxhelm, I can tell you just from my general knowledge that gold and copper are GREAT electrical conductors, glass is not (though it will conduct heat, and can be melted/fused by a sufficiently powerful electrical discharge/lightning bolt), and of course water is the insidious conductor.

And I must run. Real life beckons, I'm afraid.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

...And it's housekeeping time.

Markustay, yes, Ed realizes that. So his reply references killings he's had to do since he left Athalantar.

dazzlerdal, I can confirm that Ed would answer your #1 and your #2 with "yes," in both cases.

kysus, Volo was not making it up, Ed has some short notes on the elven family, and everything other scribes have mentioned is correct/true. So, lore coming from Ed...sometime.

Foxhelm, I can tell you just from my general knowledge that gold and copper are GREAT electrical conductors, glass is not (though it will conduct heat, and can be melted/fused by a sufficiently powerful electrical discharge/lightning bolt), and of course water is the insidious conductor.

And I must run. Real life beckons, I'm afraid.
love to all,
THO

Yes, but I was wondering about special materials only existing in a fantasy setting like the Realms.

Researching it, I came across the metal Orichalcum (reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalcum). Originally from the Greek for Mountain Copper or Mountain Metal, translated into the Roman as Gold Copper, it's mythological element which could be useful in my use.

My question then comes, does Orichalcum or something like it exist in the realms (naturally or unnaturally)? Is there any lore with the material if it does exist? Linked to certain races or cultures? Does it exist on Toril, Abeir, the planes, or a mix of the previous?

Anything would be of help, please and thank you.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  04:11:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Foxhelm, I'll note/remind you that you've previously asked Ed a question about Orichalcum in the Realms back in 2007. To which he has yet to respond.

-- The Sage, Master Archivist of the Questions for Ed Greenwood Scroll [when he has the time].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  05:02:14  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Foxhelm, I'll note/remind you that you've previously asked Ed a question about Orichalcum in the Realms back in 2007. To which he has yet to respond.

-- The Sage, Master Archivist of the Questions for Ed Greenwood Scroll [when he has the time].

Sorry. Forgot.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  07:02:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Happy New Year THO and Ed!

Ed, in your latest Forging the Realms column (titled "The Eye Tyrant’s Predicament"), you introduce the beholder word "merthrim" (meaning lesser and expendable beings).

Can you tell me if that word is from Uibilaqthraxx or from some other as yet unnamed beholder language?

My guess is Uibilaqthraxx, but I'm not sure how many "old tongues" of the beholders there are.

Thank you both very much!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  07:39:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

quote:

Sorry. Forgot.

No worries.

I know from my own experience asking questions for Ed to answer... we can sometimes forget/overlook previously asked queries. Especially when we all get caught up with something Ed's written.

Ah, well.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  22:22:21  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
Hawkfeather, off your question goes to Ed, but I recall two instances of clergy of Auril cooking, from play with Ed as DM, that involved the sun (cut and dressed meat placed between shiny metal plates on a sunbaked roof, and cooking on stones that had been heated all day in the same way, then brought inside into a "warm-pit" or stone-lined hole in the floor with an insulated wooden lid - - both of which mean there's no prohibition on cooked food.
love,
THO

Thanks for your answer, dear THO! I'll wait for Ed's reply, but yours make me wondering: the techniques you cited can only be used in summer/warm periods. So how do the priests cook in winter time or in regions like the Great Glacier? I'd appreciate if Ed could shine a light on this topic as well.

Oh! Another related question: If there are any restrictions on the use of fire for the priets, would the faithfull suffer the same restrictions (for cooking, illumination, heat source, and even metal working)?

Thank you again!

Edited by - Hawkfeather on 07 Jan 2014 22:26:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  01:00:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Optics.

You ever kill an ant with a magnifying glass?

I would assume Auril's priesthood could conjure a gem-like lens from ice.

EDIT: also, my RW knowledge of heating & AC comes into play - energy (Heat in this case) can neither be created nor destroyed. Thus, when you create ice (or any type of cold), what you are really doing is channeling the heat out of the object to 'elsewhere'. A cleric of Auril could probably channel the 'unwanted heat' out of something, and re-direct it into her food.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2014 01:15:41
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  01:53:56  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Optics.

You ever kill an ant with a magnifying glass?

I would assume Auril's priesthood could conjure a gem-like lens from ice.

EDIT: also, my RW knowledge of heating & AC comes into play - energy (Heat in this case) can neither be created nor destroyed. Thus, when you create ice (or any type of cold), what you are really doing is channeling the heat out of the object to 'elsewhere'. A cleric of Auril could probably channel the 'unwanted heat' out of something, and re-direct it into her food.

Interesting idea, but the 2nd edition Faiths & Avatars says that Aurils's clergy couldn't cast spells that created fire. Ok, the "unwanted heat" wouldn't be fire, but I think it would be against her dogma anyway. But it's food for thoughts anyway! Perhaps we could create a new topic to discuss this ideas, so we don't fill Ed's topic with unrelated posts. I remember that due Auril's Embrace, her clerics didn't need as much food as ordinary people, so maybe here lies their secret.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  02:18:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
don't know if it was overlooked or not when the thread was locked but:

Where did Tyr show up during the time of troubles???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  02:34:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

don't know if it was overlooked or not when the thread was locked but:

Where did Tyr show up during the time of troubles???

No question is overlooked, there is a list of likely over 1,000 that are there over the many years that have not been answered. Some because close to certain NDA that a determination needs to be cleared.

A list of every question open is keep, only questions answered are removed from the list of open questions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  03:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ahem, Hawkfeather, as a guy who once went arctic camping in, yes, the Arctic, above the treeline in biting cold, I can tell you that the "metal plates on sunbaked roof" trick THO mentioned works just fine in polar cold regions, at all times of the year, not just summer - - if you have full sun and not overcast or a snowstorm/windstorm blowing around already fallen snow.
Dark (as in black, or rust-brown) plates work better than shiny, because they absorb heat rather than reflecting it. The reflecting works better when combined with lenses (the magnifying glass Markustay mentioned).
Just sayin'
BB
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  07:39:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Combing through last year's info... what was Essemra Ruldegost's name before she married Dethnar?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  10:23:20  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ahem, Hawkfeather, as a guy who once went arctic camping in, yes, the Arctic, above the treeline in biting cold, I can tell you that the "metal plates on sunbaked roof" trick THO mentioned works just fine in polar cold regions, at all times of the year, not just summer - - if you have full sun and not overcast or a snowstorm/windstorm blowing around already fallen snow.
Dark (as in black, or rust-brown) plates work better than shiny, because they absorb heat rather than reflecting it. The reflecting works better when combined with lenses (the magnifying glass Markustay mentioned).
Just sayin'
BB

Thanks a lot, Blueblade! I really didn't know about this fact. Great information!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  11:17:21  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Revered Master of Realmslore and gracious Hooded Lady,

rereading Netheril: Empire of Magic i came across an intersting item: Halavar's universal pantograph, a cloning device able to reproduce any non-magical thing, even living matter and people.

Is there anything that you can reveal about this wondrous device?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  14:40:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

rereading Netheril: Empire of Magic i came across an intersting item: Halavar's universal pantograph, a cloning device able to reproduce any non-magical thing, even living matter and people.

Thanks!

Just a note...

While Ed is always happy to provide lore on [his] Netheril, it may be a little difficult for him to provide some official answers for this query given that his input on the Netheril product, if memory serves, was very minor. Ed's Netheril remains as something very different from what we've seen in print.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  15:30:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Thanks!

Just a note...

While Ed is always happy to provide lore on [his] Netheril, it may be a little difficult for him to provide some official answers for this query given that his input on the Netheril product, if memory serves, was very minor. Ed's Netheril remains as something very different from what we've seen in print.

Yeah i know N:EoM is kind of a special case among Realms sourcebooks, still, even if the answer is along the lines of "never happened in the home Realms" (probably more like "no one ever heard of it in the home Realms") i feel it's better to have an answer than not asking the question in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  18:12:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Well, I can tell you that the pantograph itself IS an Ed creation, and that its use was fraught with problems. As in: the duplicating living things worked properly only with seeds, slime, and mold. Small and simple non-living things work best - - and the pantograph needs fuel. Usually copious amounts of rocks and mud, but more than once, someone tried to dispose of a dead body they wanted to just "vanish" by feeding it to the pantograph (which has very separate places for fuel and "things to be duplicated"). It was always a case of PR claims for the thing being far from operating reality.
Of course, Ed will in time provide a proper answer...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Illance
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2014 :  00:04:19  Show Profile Send Thorn Illance a Private Message
Hi Ed, I have two questions for you, that I hope you have time to answer. I've been reading Candlekeep for a long time, but have just today decided to join in the fun! I've enjoyed reading your responses over the years, thank you for doing it.

1.) This isn't a Realmslore question, but more of a meta-lore question: Do you think it is appropriate for (some) players of Dungeons and Dragons to play high-level or Epic characters in the Realms? I ask because in the old Realms-L and stuff, you seem to be really down on high-level PCs.

2.) Realmslore: Could you provide an approximation as to the number of classic chromatic and classic metallic dragons in Faerun?

Thank you very much for listening, have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  04:39:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

In your novel Elminster's Daughter, Vangerdahast asks Joysil what are speaking gems. And she says they are something he shouldn't be meddling with, some 4,000 in number (in her hoard) from the church of Shar years ago. Is there anything that can be told about these items?

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  10:01:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Hi Ed,

Have the Leiran residents of Selune ever provided maps of Toril to scholars, you know to give them a scholarly view of Abeir-Toril?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  16:29:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
How much input did you have with the Elminster's Ecologies series? The first one is apparently 'penned' by Elminster himself, but I don't see your name in the credits (there are several, but the only one I recognize is Monte Cook).

So, I'm not even sure if you can answer my full question: In the first booklet - The Explorer's Manual - Elminster refers to his nephew twice, and that he is "Very brave, but empty in the attic, if thou get my drift". He later mentions he works in the "Shadowdale's finest bakery", The Flour Pot.

Who is he, and how is he related to Elminster?

I had always assumed (previously) that this was a 'cover' for Lhaeo, and a lie, but now that I just realized this isn't Lhaeo (because of the bakery), I want to know more.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jan 2014 16:33:01
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  17:05:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed didn't have direct involvement in the ECOLOGIES series, but did have indirect development (i.e. some of the lore was drawn from his notes, already "on file" at TSR, and various editors contacted him with questions while they were being put together, to yield little touches to add to the text.
I can tell you that the reference you cite was a bit of an in-joke. In Shadowdale, almost everyone does their own baking (in outdoor "backyard" ovens; I put the backyard in quotes because it's not a term that anyone in the Realms would recognize except in cases of inns or castles that have multiple courtyards/stableyards, so one of them could be termed a "back" yard). So in fact the dale has only one bakery that's a standalone business.
So not only is The Flour Pot Shadowdale's finest bakery - - it's Shadowdale's ONLY bakery. (At the time being written about.)
Now, as for the nephew: no, it's not Lhaeo. Elminster has a lot of relatives that he largely doesn't acknowledge, because becoming known as "of the blood of Aumar" (i.e. related to Elminster) is like wearing a target on your back. And front. And the top of your head. And so on.
I have forwarded your post to Ed to see what he's willing to divulge about this particular nephew, at this time. As you know, he dwells in the heart of a forest of thick-standing sentinel NDAs. Like duskwoods and shadowtops, only more numerous and more apt to fall on one with a crash, if unduly disturbed.
love,
THO
P.S. And the "forwarded to Ed" goes for all of the excellent questions posted by scribes above Markustay's query. Ed is (as usual) a busy busy guy, so we'll see how soon he responds.
Go to Top of Page

Shyadaar Shadoowbane
Acolyte

South Africa
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  00:15:33  Show Profile Send Shyadaar Shadoowbane a Private Message
Greeting Ed and THO

I would like to ask about lore on the chosen ones. Is Mystra the only deity that has them. I have seen as template for chosen of Bane but no lore on it. My game is running right in the middle of the time of troubles. So I have to wonder what has happened to them since Mystra has died. Do they become chosen of midnight now. How much of midnight is the old Mystra. Was becoming chosen ever meant for player characters.

And I was wondering if you have any lore on the rage of dragons.

Than very much
Your humble apprentice
Shyadaar Shadowbane
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  18:03:04  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Dear THO, another clarification regarding one of last year's answers.

quote:

Fendarl and Daerthra Illance (Fendarl is a cousin of the current heir, and his wife Daerthra a Huntinglance by birth) recently had a son, usually known formally as Darvyn, and within the family as "Dar."
His full, formal name is Andemarl Daryn Trevilar Hothon Baerilym Dathmur Illance.

Are both of these meant to be Darvyn or Daryn?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  20:02:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, xaeyruudh.
Both are meant to be DARVYN (yes, Darvyn).
Sorry about that.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000