Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  05:27:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
My bad, for thinking that there couldn't be two similar surnames in a small town.

This thing you and your friends do *points at the scroll, and at the stacks of Realms books currently surrounding me* ... I love it. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  05:51:18  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Maybe he IS Elminster...

Nah, Elminster is far more cranky and forgetful than Ed. I think it's more like "there are very good reasons why Elminster picked Ed."

Speaking of beloved muses, I think I may have discovered how some of them have weathered the various cataclysms Faerun has seen these last few years. I had to make a late-night trip to the grocery store for milk & cereal... and I could swear I was watched by someone who wasn't looking at me. A wild-haired girl with a quirky smile and a "join me or get out of the way" gleam in her eye.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  20:39:06  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I hesitate to ask questions about Waterdeep, given the amount that's been written about the city already. It always seems like "surely that's been answered already." So if that's true in this case, sorry, and of course feel free to send me searching instead of answering it again.

In the "Waterdeep News" blurb entitled Strange Fire on Cage Street from just a fortnight ago in 2005, Daztriiya Ghallowglond is identified as Lady Shopmatron. Is this a term of polite/official address used for any female shopkeeper, or was it used because it's a high-coin shop, or is that how Daztriiya identified herself to the reporter? Is she noble?

And (yay, tangent!) what sorts of titles are reporters given/claiming in Waterdeep?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  23:11:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. xaeyruudh, off your tangent question goes to Ed, but I can answer your main one: "Lady Shopmatron" is a polite honorific of speech that carries no true rank or status. It's like addressing a middle-aged woman unknown to you but who by her dress and circumstances (i.e. holding the hands of children) is probably a housewife (or perhaps a nanny) as "Esteemed Madam."
It's highly unlikely Daz would ever refer to herself as "Lady Shopmatron," to a reporter or anyone else. Just as a modern North American male is very unlikely to tell someone, "I'm Esquire [firstname surname]."
The rarely-used male equivalent, BTW, is "Trading Master," as in "Trading Master of Lethro's Simples Shop." It means Lethro owns his own shop, and is not a member of a guild.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  01:04:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I was right on two counts... that it was polite wording to avoid her wrath, and that you would know without asking Ed.

Thank you. I have heard Esquire used a few times, but that proves the point about its rarity. And "Esteemed Madam" would probably get someone arrested here in the US, after Heidi Fleiss and a few others.

Another question that I'm guessing you know... who is the Mhalavo that the shop is named for?

And is "brightstar" used here as its given in Ed Greenwood Presents... to mean "great, exciting, pleasing, marvelous, or superb"? Or is there a more specific meaning in Waterdeep?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  21:29:46  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
And um... I'm just gonna keep asking questions.

Aumra's Fine Potteryworks, mentioned in the Serious Carriage Crash on Sul Street bit of Waterdeep News, is said to be on westfront Sul Street, north of Zarimtar. Am I correct in assuming this means it's in the block immediately north of Zarimtar (south of I believe Cooper Street)?

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep describes Cloaksweep Alley as "very short" which leaves me thinking that the alley running around the interior of this block north of Zarimtar and west of Sul has a different name? And does that alley include the other two egresses, to Mendever and Cooper Streets?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  05:21:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, I pulled this out of an e-mail Ed sent me this evening:

In Heartlands and Sword Coast cities, when included in the name of a business, especially a shop, "Brightstar" means not just "great, exciting, pleasing, marvelous, or superb" but "an emporium of great, exciting, pleasing, marvelous, and superb wares." It isn't used in the names of businesses that sell services (repairing, building, or anything else), nor by guilds, but only by independents. Somewhat like using "Acme" in the name of a real-world business - - and like that real-world use, I'm guessing this use of "Brightstar" will enjoy about ten years of popularity, and then fade somewhat in favor of whatever the new term for coolness is.

So saith Ed. Must run now; will answer re. Mhalavo etc. later, when I can!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  05:49:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Nice! Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  10:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Hello Ed and his winsome scribe, THO.

I've been wondering if there is any more you can tell us about the Spider's Truce, the peace treaty between the elves of Myth Drannor and the drow of Maerimydra.
1. How long did the truce last?
2. What were the terms of the truce?
3. To what extents was the truce maintained by the elves and drow (i.e. skirmishes, assassination attempts)?
4. How was the spider's truce pitched politically to the drow and elves respectively?
5. Are there any other examples of truces like this between drow and elves?

Thank you Ed and THO for your continued dissemination of knowledge. Your efforts are ever appreciated!

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  10:35:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm assuming you've read pgs.43-44 of "Fall of Myth Drannor" by Steven Schend?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  18:26:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eli the Tanner

4. How was the spider's truce pitched politically to the drow and elves respectively?

Yes, and it's also interesting - okay, it failed, but how did they expect it to work - and why? I mean...
Surface elves hate drow froth-on-mouth, and suspect even in a few things the drow didn't think to do yet - especially back then, much closer to the Dark Court Disaster.
Drow are more pragmatical... but they got to understand what's going to happen if you get two guys in an old vendetta and prepared to fight "coincidentally" sent on the same mission. How anyone unable to figure this out can stay alive as a high-up for very long, down there?
It would be more understandable if they agreed to coordinate efforts without getting close, but side by side?.. The fiends kept both parties occupied, yes, but only as long as they were a direct threat. Wasn't this obvious? Yet it surprised them - if they'd expect, they'd be prepared? So either both sides simultaneously suffered a fit of idiocy or they knew something big that we don't.
So, why they did this the way they did?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  19:04:12  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
House Dhuurniv was ostracized after the treaty. In fact, the majority of their holdings were moved outside of Maerimydra due to this, which allowed them to survive that city's fall. My understanding is they agreed to it solely to regain possession of the Twisted Tower.

My guess is the drow line of thought went (simple version) something along the lines of: we'll get our old stomping grounds back, beef the place up, then turn on our allies and kill as many of these surface elven scum as we can. Just like the good old days!

It has been noted that drow have worked with surface elves in the past. Per Ed and THO: "Such cooperations have occurred scores of times, but are usually short-lived, devoid of trust, and don't end well."

Above quote located at this link: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15988&whichpage=32

Edited by - Eilserus on 18 Nov 2014 19:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  14:06:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
There was an elven artifact (sword?) that the elves wanted, IIRC. I forget where I read that. The elves didn't want the treaty, but the drow 'sweetened the deal' by offering the artifact back to the elves.

As for the Drow, Eilserus answers that above. They didn't like each other, and they sure as hell didn't trust each other, but both had something to gain by it, and both knew it was temporary (even while smiling and pretending it wasn't the whole time).

That was my take on it. Stuff like this happens all the time (I am refraining from mentioning any current RW events). "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", or if you prefer, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

And, of course, I eagerly await Ed/THO's reply on the matter. Now for a Question...

How far did your players get?
I am talking about in a geographic sense (naturally). We know they were all over The Heartlands - east & west - and also far out into the Trackless Sea, but did they ever make it to the Unapproachable East, or beyond? How about South? Chult? What was the furthest point (on Toril... but feel free to mention other planes)?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2014 14:07:33
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  14:20:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
I think I put the sword along with a lot more lore on House Dhuurniv in Shadowdale.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There was an elven artifact (sword?) that the elves wanted, IIRC. I forget where I read that. The elves didn't want the treaty, but the drow 'sweetened the deal' by offering the artifact back to the elves.

As for the Drow, Eilserus answers that above. They didn't like each other, and they sure as hell didn't trust each other, but both had something to gain by it, and both knew it was temporary (even while smiling and pretending it wasn't the whole time).

That was my take on it. Stuff like this happens all the time (I am refraining from mentioning any current RW events). "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", or if you prefer, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

And, of course, I eagerly await Ed/THO's reply on the matter. Now for a Question...

How far did your players get?
I am talking about in a geographic sense (naturally). We know they were all over The Heartlands - east & west - and also far out into the Trackless Sea, but did they ever make it to the Unapproachable East, or beyond? How about South? Chult? What was the furthest point (on Toril... but feel free to mention other planes)?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  18:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Markustay, the geography covered by Ed's players is something Ed covered in a talk at the Great Canadian Baycon years back in Hamilton, Ontario. I and some other lucky Realms fans got to sit around a table for an hour and just talk about the Realms...great times.
Can't remember the details about the Crazed Venturers, but I know the Knights, thanks to gates, bopped literally ALL OVER Toril, and visited at least half a dozen alternate Prime Material Planes = "other worlds." They used two gates between Myth Drannor and Waterdeep almost like their own rapid transit system, going back and forth a number of times. And the "secret treasure" of the Knights, still not emphasized in the published Realms, was to learn all they could about gates/portals new and old, mainly hidden, and how to use them. Which got the Knights onto the hit lists of a number of shadowy power groups (including the Zhents, Cult of the Dragon, Wearers of the Purple, etc. but also a lot of small wizards' cabals not featured in published Realmslore) who wanted to control the use of this or that gate.
THO and Ed will of course correct me, but I can from memory name these farflung locations reached by the Knights: clearing in Wood of Turlang (northwestern High Forest); near the ruins of Karse; near Glister; somewhere in Sossal; ruined city in depths of Raurin; hilltop ruin in Ulgarth; a ravine in the heart of the Eastern Shaar; two different islands in the Nelanther; an overgrown (jungle) ruin in Mindulgulph; Toaridge-at-the-Sun's-Setting; Evermeet; Giant's Run Mountains; somewhere in Nimbral; a tiny islet off Mintarn; somewhere in Altumbel and someplace else in the Wizards Reach; and somewhere in northeasternmost Rashemen. Not to mention all over the Dales and Moonsea and Cormyr and Sembia and the cities and trade-roads of the northern Sword Coast.
THO, what'd I miss?
BB
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  13:53:29  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message
Could Ed tell us about a few lighthouses that might be found around the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  14:55:19  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Could Ed or THO tell us about the Knights of Myth Drannor's visit to Gauntlgrym in/around the Year of the Prince that is referenced in Hall of Heroes? (also, this would be a good novel idea)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  16:19:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It would indeed. Off to Ed your query goes (along with all the other recent ones).
A note from Ed re. a query by xaeyruudh from back in April, in this thread, regarding scribes. Unlike the Scribes of Cormyr, these two individuals have a somewhat different statue: Glasgert Himlothrith, Scribe of Iriaebor, and Glarthlyn, Scribe of Silverymoon.
Heeeere's Ed:

Glasgert Himlothrith rose to local fame as a writer of chapbooks on the history of Iriaebor, and on local politics (philosophies and policies rather than individuals), and the printing press that published him (House of Arstult, on Blaeve Street, run by the wily and gruff Guthbert Arstult, who has fourteen children who all work at the press) started styling him "Scribe of Iriaebor," and the unofficial "title" has stuck.

Imdlar Glarthlyn (almost no one knows his first name) is a half-elf of Silverymoon who has for many decades published his own verses and light comedic fiction, and collected and published or republished the diverse writings of many others pertaining to the city and its environs, with his own press, Glarthlyn's Door (commonly known as just "Glarthyn's"). Taern "Thunderspells" Hornblade dubbed him "the Scribe of Silverymoon," and although this title has never been made official, everyone within the city has adopted it and uses it casually. Glarthlyn's "Why Silverymoon Is Special" remains a popular seller up and down the Sword Coast and along the Heartlands trade-routes, has seen sales in the tens of thousands in various (all chapbook) editions, and is beloved by folk of Silverymoon.

So saith Ed, who hopes this may be of help or at least lore entertainment...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  16:54:46  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Very good, thank you! I asked out of curiosity about how the term Scribe is used, how easily it's given/earned, etc, and these have provided great examples. Plus, of course, new names and places!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2014 :  19:15:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
The Dulea family home in Waymoot is named Brimstone. I've combed through the 2e Cormyr book, and the map on page 30 seems to be the only mention of Brimstone or the Dulea family. Nothing jumps out at me in Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Does "brimstone" have a different meaning in Cormyr? Or is sulfur/sulphur mined or easily accessible in this area? Are there tieflings in the Dulea family? Does the place just smell bad?

Short version: Can anything be revealed regarding the Dulea family or their home or their interests/prominence?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  00:03:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, you're on a roll. Ed just replied to me about another matter, and included this:

Brimstone has the same meaning in Cormyr (and the Realms) as it does here in the real world, and the Dulea family home is named Brimstone because chiseling out its foundations (with picks and prybars and hammered metal wedges) broke open a large vein of very pure sulphur...so the home ended up with much larger cellars than originally intended.
The Dulea family unfortunately lost five of six sons and two of three daughters in the Devil Dragon War, and is now rather small and financially struggling. The cellars still sit atop sulphur, which makes their well water foul to drink, cook, or wash with (so they are among the local families that dip buckets from the streams), but the current Dulea [it's pronounced "DOO-lay," by the way, and of old was pronounced "DOO-lay-uh"] family heads, Trathren and Jilrarra, are both apothecaries who make extensive use of sulphur in the compounds and concoctions they sell.

So saith Ed, tireless spinner of Realmslore big and small.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2014 :  00:49:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Awesome! And I like rolls, too... warm, buttery, and in ample supply.

Sounds like an excellent (extended perhaps) family for PCs to come from, considering their apparent patriotism. They'd certainly have a motive to go searching for treasure, and perhaps markets further afield for the family's alchemical products.

Thanks for the gold mine. Gold, sulfur; potayto, potahto.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  08:43:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
These may be answered somewhere, but I'm not finding them in a glance through various books.

There are four roads approaching Arabel, and only three gates. So if one wants to travel north from Arabel along the Mountain Ride, is it better to leave through the High Horn Gate or the East Gate? I'm guessing the Purple Dragons have worn a path on the west, riding between High Horn and Castle Crag, but perhaps there's also a road around the eastern end of the city for those traveling between the pass and Suzail? In either case, does this connector road pass Arabel "just off the edge of the map" or are they several miles distant from the walls?

Also, within Arabel, is the East Way called the East Way, all the way to the southwesternmost tower?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  14:18:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
My assumption - due to the way most cities are laid-out (both real and imagined) is that there is a road (or series of roads) that encircle the city, so you can leave by any gate, and travel in any direction. These days, those roads are made to ease traffic-flow, but in 'olden times', they would have been used by the many farmers who worked the fields surrounding the city. If there is one thing I've found by studying maps (both real and imagined) is that there are always many more 'roads' (paths, trails, etc) leading to and from everywhere then maps ever illustrate.

And now for a road-related question: In FR we have many roads, going all over the place. Some even disappear, move, and/or reappear between editions (my favorite is the fact that there are no roads going to the Stone Bridge on the 3e map - TOO funny). We have roads that have changed course over time (cities/realms/civilizations rising and falling), and I am sure just like other ruins in Faerûn, bits and pieces of 'old roads' can be found just about everywhere.

We also have 'underground roads', thanks to the many subterranean cultures present. Not just (deep) Underdark roads, but long and well-traveled paths not far from the surface (comparatively) - I can think of a few of those, scattered all over the continent (the one in Delzoun probably being the best-known). In fact, I sometimes get the idea there is a whole underground road-network that (most) surface people are unaware of (used by dwarves, gnomes, even Hin, etc).

And there are various varieties of 'magical roads', from song-paths to roads that simply allow travelers to 'move faster' on them. Which brings me to my question (Finally!) - are there any 'air roads'? Well-traveled routes in the air, or even actual magical 'roads' that folks can walk on? As for the well-travel air-routes, are there any (dating from Netheril, The Cloud kingdom, Halruaa, whatever, etc) that are genraly except as 'highways' to air-travelers of all type, where flyers can move unmolested (for the most part), by either agreement, or magical protections?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2014 14:21:40
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2014 :  15:59:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, Markustay is right: there are graveled dirt wagon-tracks encircling Arabel, with hardpacked-through-much-use "pads" or fenced areas used for caravan paddocks (assembly, camping, etc.) and livestock droving (beasts brought to the city for sale, and sold from these outdoor, outside-the-walls enclosures, being brought inside the walls only for slaughter or if purchased for draft use by residents of Arabel).
As for Markustay's question about air roads: Yes.
(As in, they exist, but Ed will have to provide all the details. Sorry!)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  06:11:12  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Could you please elaborate on possibilities and limitations of the mage-sigils?
An earlier reply mentions that
quote:
all of the Chosen of Mystra can use their sigils in some ways that the sigils of ‘just plain wizards’ won’t function unless their ‘owners’ find or create special spells to imbue their sigils with such powers. Such mortals would have to cast one such spell to ‘empower’ each drawn sigil with a particular ability

But how the wizards' sigils can be used, other than basic signature with divinely enforced "unique identifier"?
Other forms of authentication ("signing" spells, "lock" triggers that works only for this wizard)?
And once there is magic that interacts with these, what are possible and "legitimate" uses of someone else's sigil other than conveying lore?
E.g. could a wizard develop some spell which is given an arbitrary sigil at casting time as a sample and then selectively detects spells "signed" with this sigil, i.e. ignoring noise of irrelevant magic auras? Or detect the sigil's rightful owner (i.e. discern from impostors without that wizard's own act)?
Speaking of which, what passes as "rightful owner"? Do clones (e.g. multiple Manshoons) count? Or simulacra? Or, can a homunculus made with the wizard's blood (and copied knowledge, and still bound as a semi-autonomous extension of the master's lifeforce) use that wizard's sigil at least when acting on the master's direct order?
Also, if sigil isn't protected after the wizard's death, and liches are to see after that on their own - how about resurrections (while the wizard is dead it was free to use, and now the wizard came back)?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  14:43:38  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO!

Being the day of Thanksgiving I just wanted to thank you both for everything you do around here at the Keep. Your efforts truly are appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  01:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Though Ed and THO, being Canadian, had their Thanskgiving a month back, I echo Eilserus: we should never stop thanking them for the time and love they devote here at the Keep to answer and appease and help us scribes.
Golden people, both of them.
BB
Go to Top of Page

DM Novus
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  17:41:11  Show Profile Send DM Novus a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,
Does Ed have additional information related to 1351: Year of the Crown…and as it relates to the Sword Coast of Faerun region?

So far, I have collected this:

1. 1351 DR: unnamed plague spreads in Baldur's Gate, following the discover of Larloch's lair (Grand History p.140)

2. Warlock's Crypt [-399], home of the terrible Larloch, is discovered on the Sword Coast by explorerers, and the few survivors bring plague to the city of Baldur's Gate.((Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms, p. 140. Wizards of the Coast.)

3. Warlock's Crypt discovered. Plague in Baldur's Gate. (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)

A group of DMs are trying to plan for a number of campaigns taking place in the year 1351, and any and all details Ed could scrounge up would be great to help flesh out the campaigns…before we just go ahead and detail them out ourselves.

Any have advice? I've also posted this to Questions for Ed…hoping something from the man himself can be learned. Even knowing what type of plague would be excellent.

Thank you.

http://www.bgtscc1.com
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2014 :  19:12:16  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
In the spirit of Thanksgiving and other Fall type holidays, I was wondering if Ed had any Realms specific flavor bits about the holiday of High Harvest Tide. I've found some older posts of his about many other festivals but have not been able to find anything specific to this one. Most of what's written simply discusses it's something between Thanksgiving and Oktoberfest.

Any info or notes is much appreciated. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000