Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Godborn review: ALERT! SPOILERS!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  19:24:35  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
Remember, he barely had any arrows when he first ventured to the woods, just four, AFAIR.

I think he said he only had 4 fowling arrows. I imagine those were special arrows for hunting birds and he had more normal ones. If I'm not mistaken he left home with two quivers.

But even then, yeah, I also noticed the infinite arrows thing.

I really liked this book (though I wish we had got the trilogy it was originally meant to be) but its a bit vexing that we already got 2 Sundering books that only seem to be marginally connected to the Sundering. Both in The Companions and in The Godborn, the Sundering plot line was just the Shadovar saying that something is coming and we need to round up Chosen. Both books could have easily removed The Sundering plot points that they had and the overall story wouldn't have suffered a bit. And I think that's bad for books that are supposed to be a part of this event.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2013 :  23:52:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished it. Enjoyed it mightily. Mr Kemp: bravo.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  14:12:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the shear horror and vileness of the brothers, but I'm a horror fan. In fact the brothers were my favourite villians in the whole book. They were totally creepy and distrurbing evil.

I do agree that the Sundering could have been more prominent in the first two novels, but that's my only complaint. I hear that The Advesary will focus far more on the actual Sundering and its effects as will the rest of the the Sundering series. In the first two novels are primarily fixing the Cale/Drizzt plotlines, with the Sundering acting as seasoning and background.

The rest from whatbI hear and Erin's excerpts appears to focus more on the actual Sundering itself. I'm really looking forward to reading the Advesary.

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  18:50:19  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was my response to them too, Gyor. I'm a horror junkie, and they were the right fix for me.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2013 :  03:23:36  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where in Canada are you from Gyor? It just stuck out to me to read "Favourite" in your post.
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  09:08:19  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally finished this (or I should say, finally started it the other day and just finished it). Naturally, as a greedy fan part of me was a little disappointed about the trilogy gets turned into one novel at its first announcement, but I can't honestly say there was a single point in this book where it felt obvious that anything had been condensed (like when a movie version of a book glosses over a bunch of details to save time). In all actuality, I just would have preferred it as a trilogy because 3 books = more, and I've yet to finish a PSK Realms novel and not wanted in my possession another to follow it. This book as no exception, it was a perfect combination of characters and story line--in my opinion, perhaps making it the best written Cale-related novel yet. The throwbacks like "yap, yap little lapdog," we're few and far between (personally, the right balance because one, I do tend to be a sucker for those sorts of things, but two, it drives me nuts when self-referencing gets overused). I'm hypercritical of repetitive language, although I respect that, especially in combat scenes, sometimes it's difficult to avoid. I know i couldn't do any better. But there was none of that here at all, and it was awesome.

I didn't even think of the arrow thing until I read through this thread. It didnt bother me, although I guess after the mention of the fact that he only had 4 fowling arrows earlier when he went to hunt, I could see how people would notice that he seemed to have an unlimited amount of other, non-descript arrows meant for thins other than birds. What bothers me is when characters suddenly obtain a magical sheath of never ending arrows to explain away their never ending supply. Since Gerak never convineiently stumbled upon one of those, I'm totally forgiving of it.

Previously, I'd taken Brennus' obsession with destroying Rivalen for murdering their mother to be fairly uninteresting, bordering on sort of mamma's boy thing. Factoring in Telamont's reactions, particularly the parts at the end where a) he refuses to kill Rivalen and b) he tears up in the scene with Hadrahune brining in the constructs, was probably the most interesting character development part of the book. Humanizing the most powerful of the powerful without making them ridiculous is a delicate task, and it was really well done.

Quite possibly my single favorite moment in the book was the first section of the epilogue, though. Before Riven showed up, everything about Gerak's mindset smacked of Riven's own as he sought out his bowl of Jak Fleet Memorial Potato Stew. Gerak realizing he was glaring at a God reminded me of well, Cale had a knife fight with the last incarnation of this God, so I mean, it is kind of perfect. And the dogs. As a cold bastard myself, often wont to saying, "dogs are so much better than people," I find the whole Riven and his girls thing quite heartwarming. The part with Gerak cutting his hair and accepting Elle was gone/needing to avenge was also a masterfully done, strong emotional scene. But nothing quite gets me like the stuff with the dogs.

I did feel a little like Riven turned into Nix with all the "yeah"s at the end of some of his lines toward the end, but that's not really a complaint. He was more than Riven-y when he told Orsin to get off his knees.

TL;DR, in short, excellent novel, really enjoyed it.

Edited by - Yoss on 29 Dec 2013 09:13:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000