Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Who are the physically strongest race in the Realm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  08:55:42  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
s?

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  11:26:53  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you leave out outsiders, I would say cloud giants and dragons are pretty high in the scale
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  12:15:56  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gold Dragons(Great Wyrm), even stronger than the Tarrasque.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 01 Oct 2013 12:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  13:51:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that Kraken have the greatest physical strength in the realms. They are certainly the largest creatures on it.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  14:04:36  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are weaker than a Great Gold Dragon Wyrm, as i said, they are even stronger than a tarrasque and thatīs something to ponder on because tarrasques are portrayed as the ultimate destroyers due to their size when they are awake.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  21:15:11  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Upon seeing Lord Bane's post, I pulled out my 3e Monster Manual to see if his information was correct; it is. The tarrasque has STR 45, while a Gold Great Wyrm has STR 47. And in case anyone is wondering; Red Great Wyrm, STR 45; Cloud Giant, STR 35; and kraken, STR 34. (I only listed the creatures mentioned by others in earlier posts, aside from the Red Great Wyrm, whose stats I checked out while looking up the Gold's.)

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 01 Oct 2013 21:19:58
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  22:08:39  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Head the words, kill the goldīs when they are still young!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  23:23:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Titans aren‘t bad, especially if the godlike unique/named titans (like Atlas) are included.

Some of the golem subtypes are respectably strong as well.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  02:23:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OP-are you asking for the physically strongest non-magical race or just anything goes?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  02:54:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also the question, race in Strength stat of an individual or in what the entire race can do because of numbers and perhaps knowledge? Physical trength the ability to build pyramids in months instead of years?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2013 :  03:32:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

There is also the question, race in Strength stat of an individual or in what the entire race can do because of numbers and perhaps knowledge? Physical trength the ability to build pyramids in months instead of years?

Indeed. Humans are weaker and less intelligent than other races as a whole but tend to win out because they out-breed them.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  08:08:14  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

OP-are you asking for the physically strongest non-magical race or just anything goes?

Anything goes including outsiders, but it must be a race not unique beings.

P.S. how do ZODAR rank?
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  08:10:38  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Upon seeing Lord Bane's post, I pulled out my 3e Monster Manual to see if his information was correct; it is. The tarrasque has STR 45, while a Gold Great Wyrm has STR 47. And in case anyone is wondering; Red Great Wyrm, STR 45; Cloud Giant, STR 35; and kraken, STR 34. (I only listed the creatures mentioned by others in earlier posts, aside from the Red Great Wyrm, whose stats I checked out while looking up the Gold's.)

In the 3e M.M. Were cloud giants stronger than Storm Giants? If so why?
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  09:14:46  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3e: time dragon great wyrm Str 91 (from Dragon 359)

2e: constellates from Spelljammer, it can crush planets
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  11:45:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how strong a Zaratan is?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  12:39:14  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quale, now the question, do Time Dragons exist on Toril?

A Constellate is a phlogiston creature, no on Toril itīs self and from the text it mentions Krynnspace. Not that there could have some moved to Realmspace but they reside in the phlogiston and not on planets.

I have not found any STR numbers for the Zaratan but it appears to be stronger than a Tarrasque, who would have guessed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  14:41:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Anything goes including outsiders, but it must be a race not unique beings.

P.S. how do ZODAR rank?

Zodar were never converted from 2E, that I know of, but as I recall, their STR in 2E was 25 -- and since that was pretty much the max in 2E, their STR in later editions should also be at or near the top of the scale

That said, they are not an FR race, which this discussion is about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  15:30:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Quale, now the question, do Time Dragons exist on Toril?

I think all D&D monsters at least visited Toril, until those people with canon powers say otherwise (e.g. there was a story where all titans left Toril). Maybe Null/Guardian of the Lost is a time dragon.

Not a race, the Statues-That-Walk/stone colossi from Old Empires, converted to 3e epic rules they'd have Str 70.

stats for zaratan: Str 43 (from Arms and Equipment Guide) and aspidochelone (Str 32, from Pathfinder 27)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  15:43:40  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quale is right about the Zaratan. Weaker than the Tarrasque.

Of course every D&D monster could have been on Toril unless stated otherwise, but i am a bit more carefull. Canon wise we have to rely on what we know from sources, but in the games you can easily have a creature appear and give an explanation why it is where it is even though nowhere in canon it is stated. In the end i guess it depends if we go by canon or non canon.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2013 :  20:02:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strongest novel character I recall was Wulfgar in 2e...fella was as strong as a Hill Giant!

I don't recall what it was called, but there was a dragon bound into the Great Wall of Shou-Lung...I would wager that a being that makes something that size that strong would have been perhaps very strong.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2013 :  07:52:26  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

In the 3e M.M. Were cloud giants stronger than Storm Giants? If so why?

Storm Giants(STR 39) were stronger than cloud giants (STR 35) in 3e Monster Manual, I just forgot to mention that in my last post (sorry if that caused any confusion).
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  09:04:28  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look into the epic level handbook it has a lot of monsters with high physical strength too. Xixecals with STR 66 or Force and Prismatic dragons with STr over 70 as Great wyrms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000