Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fiendish/orcus vampires?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  19:55:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What sort of lore do we have when it comes to the realms for fiendish undead, or things that mix orcus being prince of undead yet still a fiend , as far as it comes to a vampire?

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  21:01:20  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The closest that springs to mind for me is Aldric the Vampire, who was formerly Abbot of St Sollars from H2 The Mines of Bloodstone. Didn;t one of the main protagonists from the "Bandit Army" also become some form of Undead, either Banak, Knellict of Timeshenko?

Just working on the assumption that if the fiendish undead were going to be anywhere it would be the Bloodstone Lands for obvious reasons.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 18 Sep 2013 21:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  23:29:46  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good question. I've read about fiendish undead serving in the courts of demon lords, but never on the Prime Material Plane. RAS wrote about Knellict in the POTWK and ROTP. He's definitely not a vampire. Timoshenko only got a brief mention, although it's implied that Bregan Daerthe would kill him, if Knellict had not already done so. There was nothing that made him sound vampiric, though. So it's probably Banak you're thinking of.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  00:14:33  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see what's the point. But if a vampire will manage to drink full out of some fiend with higher HD, may as well count it as "bloodline" (heh, heh) -worthy alchemical infusion. And it's not like there aren't half-vampires, so...
Also, IIRC, there was a god of vampires, with taste for half-elven consorts.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  01:21:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also Bloodfiends ... vampiric demon creatures native to unknown lower planes (layers of the Abyss, Limbo, or Far Realms?) who are sometimes listed with the Abomination template. Only one in FR canon that I know of, summoned by a Zulkir of Thay. The novel hinted that bloodfiends can only reproduce vampirically, specifically by feeding on other fiends (a human was transformed, but the result was an insane berserker who didn‘t live long), so obviously no cambion or tiefling sorts of descendants could exist.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  05:24:44  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

What sort of lore do we have when it comes to the realms for fiendish undead, or things that mix orcus being prince of undead yet still a fiend , as far as it comes to a vampire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Ghouls
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  12:20:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for undead fiends, we also have the 2e "Visage", from the Dead Gods PlaneScape adventure. They are Orcus/Tenebrous creations, AFAIR.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  13:02:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

There are also Bloodfiends ... vampiric demon creatures native to unknown lower planes (layers of the Abyss, Limbo, or Far Realms?) who are sometimes listed with the Abomination template. Only one in FR canon that I know of, summoned by a Zulkir of Thay. The novel hinted that bloodfiends can only reproduce vampirically, specifically by feeding on other fiends (a human was transformed, but the result was an insane berserker who didn‘t live long), so obviously no cambion or tiefling sorts of descendants could exist.
Why couldn't Tiefling/Cambion types exist?

A normal human, YES, they would 'burn out' quickly, but I would think anything with a fiendish heritage should be susceptible to a Bloodfiend's 'curse'.

That thing sounds very cool, BTW - apparently, even demons have their demons.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2013 :  23:20:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, bloodfiends are predators who hunt other fiends.

I suppose cambion/tiefling types might theoretically exist, but the only canon example I‘m aware of categorically refutes the possibility. Of course, the context could reflect the personal preferences of an individual bloodfiend (Tsagoth) and might not apply to the entire species; the usage in the novel suggested that Tsagoth fed only on other fiends, even when bound to the Realms, and derived no sustenance from humans or even vampires. He made a human into a disposable bloodfiend-berserker only for purposes of revenge, even though he found the notion distasteful.

Any cambion/tiefling/hybrid bloodfiend examples would have to be homebrew. I personally think the notion is a bit munchkin, but tastes vary. For the record, I personally resist things like dhampirs and half-vampires and even an alu-demon vampire, but then, I suppose I like conservative fantasy over spectacular superpowers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2013 :  05:53:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Also, IIRC, there was a god of vampires, with taste for half-elven consorts.
Ah, found him - Kanchelsis. Which neatly links to another sub-subject: "Kanchelsis's primary servants are the blood fiends (vampiric demons)..."

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2013 :  13:13:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Would Tammith from The Haunted Lands count? She was a creation of the atropal Xingax. She was a once a human, but was infused with a fiend's blood (and whatever concoction Xingax had at his disposal) to become a vampire that could turn into bats at will.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000