Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lovecratian monsters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  22:15:30  Show Profile Send Crimson_King_of_the_Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all I am planning on sending my PCs to a lost sunken city that has risen from the sea and was thinking about using some Lovecraftian type monsters and wanted to know if anyone knew of some 2nd ed stats for some that might be out there like for actual deep ones or shoggoths or something. Thanks in advance.

James Lavespere

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  00:16:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1e the Cthulhu mythos (and many creatures) was written up in Deities & Demigods.

In 3e, Paizo has all of that covered in their Pathfinder material.

As for 2e, I think you're out-of-luck. TSR didn't bother with it (aside from some early Far Realms stuff from Bruce Cordell), and they were pretty-much the only game in town back then (where D&D is concerned). You may have some luck looking through Bruce's stuff - try The Gates of Firestorm peak.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Sep 2013 00:16:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  00:41:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In 1e the Cthulhu mythos (and many creatures) was written up in Deities & Demigods.

Be advised, though, that the original DDG, with the Cthulhu and Elric stuff, is really hard to find -- they was a copyright infringement issue, and most copies of the DDG are the later copies without the Cthulhu and Elric stuff.

And even when you find the original copies, they are often in sad shape, and the owners want way too much for them... Which is why I'll never replace the copy I had. Mine was in really good shape, and all the ones I've seen since then were in much worse shape and still going for $50-$100.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  00:57:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an article in Dragon Magazine Annual 6 that has at least a couple of Cthulhu critters written up for D20... It's got Deep Ones, at least, according to The DragonDex, an index of all of the articles in the print form of Dragon.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  01:11:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An underwater cavern filled with an illithid colony might be good, although perhaps too potent. Or perhaps aboleths instead.

Or an aquatic race (*ahem* koa-toa? sahaugin?) which worships a Cthulhu-type abomination might be good too. Think insane “evil“ priest/shaman with weird magic or psionic powers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  03:27:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great many of the older Chaosium Cthulhu monster books include stats and Lovecraft race write-ups that can be easily adapted for the Realms. [Though it can be hard to find these {sometimes} pricey tomes.]

The 3e Fiend Folio has enough Lovecraft-type critters to populate your games with. But it will require some backwards compatibility in terms of stats.

And, finally, in the finding the "spirit" of the Elder-God vibe for your campaign, I'd recommend the write-up for the 'Dragonking's Eye' in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  03:28:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! And I almost forgot...

The 2e Planescape Mosntrous Compendiums have a number of Cthulhu-esque/Far Realm- type creatures that can probably find homes in your campaign as well.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  04:04:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, c'mon! A 4-armed 4-tentacled sahaugin high priest of Cthulhu just sounds so yummy!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  04:47:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Aw, c'mon! A 4-armed 4-tentacled sahaugin high priest of Cthulhu just sounds so yummy!

It sounds suspiciously like something I would've already tried in one of my games.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  05:14:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Sage. Remind me to not play in your games.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  11:59:47  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aboleths, far realm underwater living things is the closest you can get to a cthulhu like monster that lives in the water which would be fitting for your sunken city approach, add in some Sahuagin who venerate it because it has enthralled them and you should have some adversaries.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  16:55:37  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo introduced the Skum from D&D as essentially being Deep Ones. I know there are 2e stats for Skum available.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  18:41:37  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Be advised, though, that the original DDG, with the Cthulhu and Elric stuff, is really hard to find -- they was a copyright infringement issue, and most copies of the DDG are the later copies without the Cthulhu and Elric stuff.

And even when you find the original copies, they are often in sad shape, and the owners want way too much for them... Which is why I'll never replace the copy I had. Mine was in really good shape, and all the ones I've seen since then were in much worse shape and still going for $50-$100.

I actually have one of the original copies (got it from my dad, along with his other AD&D books). It's still in pretty good condition too. (Never really got into AD&D.) And no, it isn't for sale, in case anyone was wondering. Even if I don't use it (except as reference material), it's still a gift from my dad. (Hmm, I wonder how many of us have family that actually supported our roleplaying interests? Sorry, this is going off topic.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  19:07:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

quote:

quote:

I actually have one of the original copies (got it from my dad, along with his other AD&D books). It's still in pretty good condition too. (Never really got into AD&D.) And no, it isn't for sale, in case anyone was wondering. Even if I don't use it (except as reference material), it's still a gift from my dad. (Hmm, I wonder how many of us have family that actually supported our roleplaying interests? Sorry, this is going off topic.)

My copy was a gift, as well, from one of the best managers I've ever had. He told me that he'd dumped the rest of his D&D stuff, but saved that one, knowing it was valuable and wanting to pass it to someone who would appreciate it. Sadly, that copy was lost in the fire that consumed from 95% of everything I owned.

Since you have the book, can you verify what Lovecraftian critters got stats in there? Not the deities, just the critters like Deep Ones and all...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  20:39:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine was actually the very first TSR purchase I made (I had other stuff before that, but it was given to me). I treasured that more then most of my other stuff.

Look at the artwork - I haven't had a campaign that I ran that I haven't used Xiombarg.

And we can all see why Ed choose to use Loviatar... she has such nice... assets...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Sep 2013 20:39:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2013 :  20:55:18  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since you have the book, can you verify what Lovecraftian critters got stats in there? Not the deities, just the critters like Deep Ones and all...

Byakhee,Cthuga's Flame Creature, Deep Ones, Great Race, Mi-Go, Primordial One, Shoggoth.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2013 :  19:33:48  Show Profile Send Crimson_King_of_the_Tower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah thank you all for the info I do have a DDG from an old dowload i got a while back and i never noticed it had all those in it that helps ALOT thanks. What I'm thinking for the city is that long ago the city was created out on an island as a "haven" for all kinds of mages and magic users to come and practice freely without fear of persecution, and many mages and clerics flocked to it eager to practice their craft unhindered. What no one knew was the benefactor and creator of the entire city was an illithid who was looking to become a lich and cheat death and lived far below the city. He would let the mages practice and would then take the ones he needed to his lair and take their knowledge from their brains and experiment. Finally he achieved what he wanted and became an alhoon and twisted all the cities inhabitants into the Lovacraftian type creatures i was looking for. The city then sank into the sea and rises every now and then where my PC's will find it empty and abandoned but after a while the now twisted creatures will come out of the sea and into the city after the PC's and they must figure it all out. Sorry for rambling lol just wanted to let you all in on what the info was for hope you like :)

James Lavespere
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000